TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Brand-new construction update!

http://keystonethrills.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/hersheypark-skyrush-update-39-9211/

By the way, they're starting to dig a big hole for the footers on the drop-side of the lift hill. I plan on heading back over sometime during the week to get some photos of the construction from Park Blvd.

There is a part 2 of pics at that link that doesn't actually show the park but more of the town. There are minivans completely submerged!! We got a lot of rain here southwest of the park in MD, but no real flooding problems like that!!! That is just saddeningly horrible....... I wonder how the construction site is faring through all of this??

Yea, It's pretty bad up there, I have heard a report of the pizza hut down the street from HP having water all the way up to the roof. Also a report of a gas leak at the Wendy's next to that as well

I saw a photo of that Pizza Hut!!! So sad!!! Wasn't up to the roof, but close, at least 6-8 feet of water in the place.

From Hersheyparks Facebook page:

As many of you know, today has been a very difficult day at ZooAmerica. First and foremost, the Zoo staff cares deeply about the safety and well-being of the animals in their care, and truly considers them members of their extended families.

Today the Zoo experienced unprecedented flooding, more than we experienced with Hurricane Ivan or any other severe weather event in the company's memory.

The Zoo team began flood preparation two days ago by moving all animals to higher ground. Recognizing the likelihood of serious flooding, the team activated our animal evacuation plan at noon today to ensure that the animals were out of harm’s way. This plan has been in place and effective in all other weather-related emergencies that the Zoo has experienced.

Unfortunately, no one could anticipate a weather event that went from inches of rain to feet of flooding in a matter of a few short minutes. While we were able to ensure the safety of the vast majority of the animals in the Zoo, flood waters rose too quickly in the area occupied by two of the Zoo's bison and we were not able to rescue them.

Faced with the prospect of watching the extended suffering of the bison and their eventual death due to drowning, the Zoo staff chose the most humane path possible and euthanized the bison.

This is a very sad day for us, as we've built strong bonds with all the animals in our care. We can tell you that each of us feels this loss very deeply.

This rain needs to stop, or go down to Texas, or something!

Yea, It's pretty bad up there, I have heard a report of the pizza hut down the street from HP having water all the way up to the roof. Also a report of a gas leak at the Wendy's next to that as well

I saw a photo of that Pizza Hut!!! So sad!!! Wasn't up to the roof, but close, at least 6-8 feet of water in the place.

I drove right by that place at 9:30 this morning and everything was normal. Found out classes for me were cancelled and drove that way again at 11am and the underpass had water ponding under the bridge and all the exits were closed (let me point out that it still wasn't flooding in that area. Saw that photo several hours later and I was absolutely shocked! I live 1 mile from that and let me say that the area, if you're driving, is like a maze.

As for the park, the creek is touching Storm Runner, Trailblazer looks to be underwater, and as for the construction site... here's a video I found:

^Not to mention they were already saturated from early August. They had over five inches of rain the day before we visited on the TPR Trip and had two rides down and some pathways blocked because of flooding.

An interesting weather year so far with these tropical storms and hurricanes doing more damage in the North East than in the South!

^Not to mention they were already saturated from early August. They had over five inches of rain the day before we visited on the TPR Trip and had two rides down and some pathways blocked because of flooding.

Yeah, I was there that day, it rained throughout the afternoon, but the real storm and downpour that shut everything down was at 7pm. They let people into the catering pavilions just to get out of the rain. Afterward, only the flat rides managed to reopen at all before more storms rolled in. I don't think I've ever been it a park that late with literally only the games opened.

Like everyone else has said....it's raining almost everyday in this area! Thats really sad to hear about the animals at Zoo America, I wouldn't want to be the one making that decision. The weather this whole year has been crazy with the storms, winter and even the earthquake(I know small but still strange to feel over on the east). Hopefully the park is able to clean up quickly.