TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Borg Assimilator makes the Top 10 !!!?!!!

This comes from the Paramount's Carowinds newsletter sent yesterday.

They had an article stating the following:

BORG Assimilator was recently recognized by America Online’s Digital CityGuide as one of the top ten theme park thrills in the U.S.

BORG was given the title as the South’s Loopiest Coaster. The review said BORG has “more inversions than any in the South, including a 68-foot vertical loop and a 115-foot horseshoe inversion.”

In all, you go through eight stomach-dropping inversions as you fly below the track at 51 mph. The ride includes more than half a mile of track, but lasts just 2 minutes, 47 seconds. BORG is the tallest coaster at Carowinds, the only flying coaster in the Carolinas, and it’s the first in the world to carry a Star Trek theme.

Read the full AOL CityGuide article here or type in the AOL Keyword: Theme Park Thrills.

Here's the direct link to the AOL list.

http://aolsvc.digitalcity.com/newyork/cityattractions/?page=toptenthemeparkthrills&photo=9

I'm sorry, but this is the 2nd time in recent history that Carowinds has been called "best in the country" for something (there's a list that was done by msnbc.com I believe that said Carowinds was one of the Top 10 parks in the country). I'm not here to berate (sp?) the park and put it down, but I would hardly call Borg a top 10 attraction in the country.

Unfortuantley like the ads for the coaster last year, it's a little deceptive saying that the coaster has 8 inversions when it really only has about 5 if you count each flipover as a half inversion like you should.

Oh well, I'm glad that the park is getting recognized, it just seems like it's always something for the CP fanboys to make fun of when it does happen. lol

And don't take this the wrong way, I love Borg and I'm glad we got it. I just wouldn't rank it up there with Kingda Ka and TTD.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Borg definitely was NOT that good. I've ridden Borg, Batwing, and Superman: Ultimate Flight at Gadv. Batwing was definitely the best. It was the most intense. The only thing S:UF had going was the pretzel roll. Borg was kinda boring. I've also done X-Flight, which is the same as Batwing.

Go Batwing!

[Edit] Called it Superman: Ultimate Escape and not Flight. Oops [/Edit]

I rode BORG when it was Stealth at PGA .. didn't enjoy it one bit and skipped it when we visited Carowinds in April.

XFlight is the other I've done .. don't enjoy either of them, I feel like I'm going to fall out. Rather enjoy the B&M flyers and the nice Pretzel of S:UF at SFOG.

I agree with you on the Vekoma layout/B&M trains deal. I've been on all the Flying Dutchman coasters. BORG seemed better because of the splash of theming. I hate Star Trek but I gotta say it definately made the ride look better.

The B&M flying coaster concept could be such a good thing if a park dropped one on some hilly terrain with a couple tunnels. So much potential... There's at least 2 sold that aren't built yet so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Yeah I agree with Coaster1, I waited in line for a few hours for Stealth, Borg, or what ever, only to be completely underwelmed. I rode it once more the next season, right before I moved to Albuquerque to make sure it suked, and it still did, slow and didn't do anything for me

Top Gun on the other hand, is still my favorite steel coaster

I've been on all the flying coasters in the US and they all are less interesting to me than any B&M invert.

I should point out that I haven't ridden a Zamperla flyer yet, but I don't hold out hope they they're any more fun and/or comfortable.

wait? X-flight/batwing has a different layout than borg?! I had no idea! I've only ridden X-Flight and SUF, but i enjoyed SUF better

Borg has the same layout except that it has corkscrews instead of inline rolls, and also it does not have a helix at the end like the other two do.

Since we're talking about Borg and such, I also want to point out that the park put on MAGNETIC brakes for this season!!! It's such a smooth stop on the brake run now!!! Last year I had to push on the leg restraints to reduce the awful jerking motion it caused.

Wow, with those brakes it must really not feel like a Vekoma now.

The Flying Dutchman and LSM coasters are really well done, it's too bad the SLC's and boomerangs smear mud over the name. (at least with enthusiasts)

Should be interesting to try Expedition Everest next year, Disney does great things with Vekoma equipment.

Sean (Aerosmith + LSM Launch = Perfection) Costa