TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Let's Learn about the Matterhorn!

Wow, how did you (or whoever was the photographer) get that picture? It really is the beam circled in the construction pic (any way of knowing 100%)?
In case the elevator has trouble, there's a non-ride path route down from the upper level that involves lots of stairs and ship's ladders in the hollow parts of the mountain. I'm pretty sure it's that marked beam, but not 100%.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been lucky enough to get all over that Mt. It is crude and wonderful at the same time. The view at the top is great. After the basketball court you have a 12' (or so) latter going to the top trap door. You get up top and see the fiberglass door that opens up to let Tinkerbell out for her flight. It's funny, even back in 1959 Walt wanted it to to be an all encompassing experience. You should see all the air conditioning units all through the ride. I think there 5 units just to drop the temp a few degrees to make it a little bit colder for the rider. Bob Baranick did a nice tribute to the great Frank Wells after his death by putting the Wells Expedition on the climbing equipment high in the ride.

Alpenguy -

I was at DL last week and rode the Tomorrowland side, still a great ride if a bit jerky. My question is do you think Disney will ever re-track the ride?

This is something I've always wondered myself. I love this ride but I wish it would faster and a little less rough. IMO, This is something DL should consider doing sometime in the next 10 years. Regardless what happens this is still one my all time favorite rides.

Guys, I've been fascinated with the Matterhorn as long as I can remember and this thread is simply amazing.

I normally don't like to see the behind the scenes stuff, but this really gets me excited!

Any chance we can get some deets on the water features? Or a snap or two of Tink's door or the view?

Completely reprofiling the Matterhorn would be an epic engineering challenge. Pretty much everything is load-bearing and laid out precisely on the main supports, with the interior cavern walls and stuff all based around the current track. Without completely changing the layout it can't get a modern easy-reset block system, I'm pretty sure a lot of clearances exist only through grandfathering, and such a change would require a huge area closure with giant cranes and bare fake mountain for multiple years. Considering how long Space took I think a little roughness is worth it.

Any chance we can get some deets on the water features? Or a snap or two of Tink's door or the view?
Anything involving Tinkerbell is very hush hush, sorry. There is an awesome view at b-ball level though where a head sized hole looks out towards Autopia. Sadly the operations people can't go up to the very top since her new pixie dust delivery system moved in.

The water system is pretty simple, just pumps for the waterfalls. The splashdown itself is the main braking for the ride, without it things couldn't function properly as they are and the capacity would drop significantly. With empty sleds, especially warming up in the morning, they just barely make it through with about 5mph speed left. Until recently the water was higher to brake more, and had to be adjusted for sleds to make it through unless you put at least 300lbs in each. Nowadays they still occasionally slow too much and fail to clear zones in time, especially on the B-side.

I can see it now...

Matterhorn 2: More Yetis Than Before!

---Brent

That just made me think of something. In 1978, Matterhorn got new trains, plus new visual elements and audio effects. Sound familiar? Disney could have marketed it as Matterhorn 2 back then!

I have a bit of video tape shot from on top of the Matterhorn looking over to DCA when it was under construction. I would have to get it to digital. With what all you guys were saying about the structure. The Matterhorn has major metal rot at the base and it will be a major undertaking to repair but one day they will have to do it. They get new cars soon. I wish they would reopen the top of the lift hill. It was cool to be that high and look out of the Mt. I love how jerky it is. It's Arrow rough.