TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

So...animals should not suffer consequences when they commit murder...

But humans are put on death row? Don't quite understand that logic...

WHALES ARE NOT PEOPLE! just because they are in captivity does not mean they are human. Sure they could be punished in some fashion, but to be killed , come on...I mean just look at their names...Killer Whales. Sea World and its trainer know what they are dealing with, they know the whale can turn sour. Now if you look at it, SW and BG parks have had a good safety record relating to animals. Barely any of them have done such thing

Now it is my personal view that this whale, whom has a history of violence, should not be put to perform as much.

Edited by sam06pr

^I'm guessing that first sentence is a typo?

I don't understand why some of you are saying that "punishing" it wouldn't do any good. These whales have been trained...it's not like they don't have the ability to "learn." Many dogs are taught obedience through forms of punishment, so why would it be any different for these mammals?

Not to mention, this is the THIRD person that this particular animal has brought death upon. I just don't see why it is still being allowed to interact with humans.

^Arguments aside, nothing has been announced as to what will happen with Tilly. Let's save the "why he should have been put away" fight until after a statement is made saying he will stay with SeaWorld as a part of the show.

For all we know, Tilly could be leaving the park, or at least retired from the active "cast." If that is the case, then your argument has no further point, which is why I say that we let this debate sit until we hear more official words as to what will happen to the killer whale.

My thoughts are with all involved. I can't even begin to imagine what this tragedy is like for those most closely related to it. Its just terrible.

Growing up less than 10 miles from the former SeaWorld Ohio, I was the luckiest kid in the world for seeing the Shamu Show as much as I did. I just always remember the trainers telling the audience time and time again the peril they put themselves in when they preformed with these creatures. Regardless, they did so to teach all who witnessed what they did a meaningful lesson. SeaWorld has been an incredible asset to my life, as well as countless others, for bringing the wonder of the natural world into an accessible, but still awe-inspiring, environment. I hope I'm not speaking for myself, but my respect for nature would have been laughable if I hadn't had such an incredible, first-hand learning experience. I just hope that SeaWorld will be able to continue to administer its message of respect for the environment and the bravery of its trainers for years to come in the wake of this horrific tragedy.

Not to mention, this is the THIRD person that this particular animal has brought death upon. I just don't see why it is still being allowed to interact with humans.

I thought they were unsure about the guy that sneaked past security back in 1999. The article I read said he either jumped, fell, or was pulled into the water before dying of hypothermia. He did have scratches and bruises from the whale, but for all we know, the whale could have just been playing with the corpse...but that's a whole other topic.

As for what happened today, it's a horrible accident. It's hard to say what the animal was doing since we can't read their thoughts.

This is a real tragedy and my thoughts are with her family.

The normal reaction is a knee-jerk one - close the park, terminate the whale etc etc. In reality there is always the risk of this and I'm sure the trainer herself knew this. It's a risky job like so many other jobs but I'm sure she loved it or she wouldn't have done it.

If you have a park like this something will happen eventually. It's a fact of life. Is it a risk worth taking - I think it probably is.

Hey you could die driving to your work - should you just stay in the house all day?

I don't understand why some of you are saying that "punishing" it wouldn't do any good. These whales have been trained...it's not like they don't have the ability to "learn." Many dogs are taught obedience through forms of punishment, so why would it be any different for these mammals?

I'm guessing that the training methods are much different; you hit a killer whale in the nose with a newspaper and you're gonna get your a$$ bit. Besides aren't dogs are classified as domestic animals? I don't see a bin at the local kennel where you can get your own killer whale. One you are bringing from the wild to train and the other doesn't get wild unless you set it out in the wild. See the difference?

And you certainly don't want a baby playing with a killer whale.

EDIT: I believe you made the distinction yourself. You teach a dog obedience for an owner; they're teaching whales tricks in exchange for food.

^

If this is referring to the fool that snuck in the park, that doesn't count. He was earning his Darwin Award. He should have tried the dophin tank. Any wild animal that gets spooked or unnerved will revert to its nature, so you can't punish wild animals for being something they are.

Edited by terrancew_hod

I do feel sorry for this whole event ever happening, especially at SeaWorld, as I do believe that they are the top marine animal parks in the world. But, could this be more of a situation where Tilly was just MEANT to be in the wild? True, we see very few of these accidents ever occur, but could that be because the other animals were raised in captivity and know no better? Now, I don't know if Tilly was brought in from the wild, or bred at a marine park, but I believe this could be the severe difference between animals in captivity.

Yesterday was a sad day for all who or have at one point worked at a theme park, are an annual passholder or even just a general fan of theme parks. No one wants to see this type of stuff happen. While I am not suprised, I am dissapointed in the media orgy that surrounded the event. One local channel in Orlando was asking if anyone had pictures to please send them in to the station

This is a very sad and tragic event, but ultimately these things happen, the trainer would have known the risks and until there is more information you can't blame the whale, if the trainer fell in the tank it could have been confused, frightened or just wanted to play, we can't know for sure but I am sure killer whales don't intentionally kill people otherwise there would be way more incidents like this!

Also, on a side note, I can see what Robb and everyone is saying, SeaWorld educate people and look after their animals very well and in that sense they are good people, but I can't help thinking, no matter how big the tank, does the whale not think of freedom and the open seas? For example, if you were told you were to live in an expensive hotel suite with one friend for the rest of your life, free meals, plenty of space, comfy beds etc. but you were never allowed to leave, sure it would seem great at first but after a while wouldn't you want to go outside again and see other people? Just my thoughts on that... I am not an animal activist by any stretch of the imagination, just putting it out there!

Anyway, I agree with Adam, let things lie for a little while!

Arguments aside, nothing has been announced as to what will happen with Tilly. Let's save the "why he should have been put away" fight until after a statement is made saying he will stay with SeaWorld as a part of the show

Matt

As tragic such an accident is, animals are not made for being captured and doing tricks and stunts for our amusement.

As already said, they have their natural instincts and even if they are treated good, they still have the need to be free. Everybody working with such animals knows what he's doing.

And the term "Killer Whale" is just bullcrap, just a fearful title given by us. The most dangerous and brutal killer on earth is the human race, not any kind of whale.

http://www.seaworldparksblog.com/explore/blog/seaworld-updates

Tilikum

Many people are asking about the future care of Tilikum, the whale involved in the incident. We have every intention of continuing to interact with this animal, though the procedures for working with him will change. We are still reviewing this incident and will evaluate the situation and make a decision accordingly.

We are open to comments from you, our blog readers. However, as a policy, any comment that uses foul language or could be hurtful to the trainer’s family will be deleted. We appreciate everyone’s understanding and will share more information as it becomes known and available.

According to reports, this whale is responsible for two other deaths. Therefore, he was in a tank where trainers were not supposed to be swimming. I agree with Adam, that we should all wait until Sea World comes out with a statement regardign Tilly's fate, but honestly, what was the trainer doing so close to the pool where Tilly was. If no one was supposed to be swimming with that whale, there was obviously some line she crossed to piss it off. I'm in no way condoning the fact that the whale attacked and killed the trainer, I just don't think everyone should jump to conclusions about "killing it". They should just put it in another part of the "Shamu" exhibit where humn in-water interaction is not a part of it.

Also, the trainers know the risks of working with a dangerous animal. I'm sure they're required to sign releases that detail the possible attack and/or kill situation. It is not the whale's fault that he acted out of instinct. Whales are just like any other intelligent being. If they're sick of doing their tricks or behaviors or some other issue is distressing them, they are going to act out. They can't use words, only actions. The animal's instinctual reaction does not give an excuse to kill it.

Just another reason why these animals should not be used in shows, used for public viewings, or just held in captivity like this just for the pure entertainment of people.

And to top it off, the whale was being used as a stud, just so SeaWorld could keep business going for the future. Sick.

At this point it might be more humane to euthaize the whale. I think it is clear that he doesn't want to be there and be used for these purposes. And, he is clearly a danger. It really isn't fair.

Why are people saying to kill the whale? Yes it killed someone which is horrible, but why not allow the whale to go back to freedom where it belongs? Why continue to keep it contained? Why should an animal be punished for something we caused? These are just my thoughts.

Personally, I don't think the whale should be killed for killer someone. I mean, how are you suppsosed to control an animal like this? Of course something is going to happen like this. It isn't the whale's fault. I just think he should be euthaized for humane purposes. I wish he would be able to just go free in the ocean. But, chances are the whale has been in captivity for the majority, if not all of it's life judging by the comments and information presented in this thread. The whale would have very little, if not no chance of survival out in the ocean. It is really unfortunate.

How do we know the animals aren't happy? I mean you can't assume things ever, if I made assumptions my Cat would be living in the cold right now. She does bite me sometimes when she's annoyed but 98% of the time she purrs in my lap so just because the whale has hurt people we can't assume it doesn't want to be there.

Also whales would be AWESOME on the moon!