TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 272: New Howl-O-Scream 2022 details released!

I was also there on Saturday.  Same general thoughts.  We had a good time and enjoyed ourselves.  I went over to Mako about 11:30.  Posted at 45 min but was a walk on with empty rows.  I did a few laps and we called it a night.

Decent crowd size during the day.  We showed up around noon to catch some shows and just wander around. Park seemed to be handling things like food better than in April. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tndank said:

I was also there on Saturday.  Same general thoughts.  We had a good time and enjoyed ourselves.  I went over to Mako about 11:30.  Posted at 45 min but was a walk on with empty rows.  I did a few laps and we called it a night.

Decent crowd size during the day.  We showed up around noon to catch some shows and just wander around. Park seemed to handling things like food better than in April. 

Yeah we didn't eat in the park during the event but all of the bars and drink stands were really efficient. The Poision Grotto with the aerial dancers had a line to the door just about all night long but never took more than 10 minutes or so get a drink in there, and the same for the other themed bars. The whole night felt smoother operationally than just about any other day I've had at a park this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I was just able to book a trip for pretty cheap to visit the park for February 24th+25th. Hoping that'll be after Ice Breaker opens (though I don't expect to ride it very much due to its New Hotness status), but also hope that I didn't just lock myself into a time when any of the major coasters are down for scheduled maintenance. I cannot seem to find their scheduled closures page on either desktop or phone app, even though their FAQs say it should be somewhere on the Park Hours page. Not worried about Kraken or Manta since they'll be through that before the end of the year, but unsure about Mako. 

• 2 weeks later...

SeaWorld Orlando has announced that Ice Breaker will officially open on February 18th, 2022! 

Icebreaker-NewBanner-1900x700.thumb.jpeg.16c0154b196fda0a38e67c9c61038ef9.jpeg

https://seaworld.com/orlando/roller-coasters/ice-breaker/

THE STEEPEST BEYOND VERTICAL DROP IS JUST THE BEGINNING.

SEAWORLD’S FIRST LAUNCH COASTER | OPENING FEBRUARY 18, 2022

Named after the icy Arctic summits, Ice Breaker will feature four airtime filled launches, both backwards and forwards, culminating in a reverse launch into the steepest beyond vertical drop in Florida - a 93 feet tall spike with 100 degree angle. The thrills continue as riders fly over a near vertical tophat maneuver into a series of exciting twists, turns, and airtime hills. The brand-new coaster will be located across from Wild Arctic and opens February 18, 2022. 

IB2.jpeg

IB3.jpeg

IB4.jpeg

IB5.jpeg

IB6.jpeg

• Like 3

Great job SeaWorld! So now the only questions left to ask now are:

1. When will Iron Gwazi open? (Supposedly some time in March, but probably "Anticipated opening never")

2. Will Iron Gwazi have passholder previews? (Only if your name is Fred Grubb)

3. Did SeaWorld ever pay their bills? (Well I heard a rumor...)

Very excited for this! Despite being overshadowed by Iron Gwazi (and even Velocicoaster), it looks like the ride will have some pretty strong pops of air. And even though the quad-launch is a gimmick, I appreciate the extended ride time. Now I will finally have a reason to visit that side of the park lol

I love this park and I'm stoked for this to open, it looked really great sitting there closed and ready to go when we were there a month ago - yes I'm a little spicy about it, but in all seriousness I can't help but feel non-enthusiasts (tourists and locals alike) will just see this as a budget VelociCoaster, from the unimpressive stats to the nonexistent theming. I try not to hate for the sake of it, but with everyone still losing their minds (and rightfully so) over what is no doubt the best coaster to open anywhere in the U.S. in quite some time, I can't help but feel a little bad for SW and the reception I think this is going to get.

What a nice present to welcome me to Orlando, SWO 😅 Sorry for the hold up, everyone 😛

It will be a nice addition to the park and bring some action to that arctic area and overall each coaster will look nice with the new paint. Ice Breaker's layout has me curious, it reminds me of Prowler and Mystic Timbers with the punchy out and back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, boldikus said:

I can't help but feel non-enthusiasts (tourists and locals alike) will just see this as a budget VelociCoaster, from the unimpressive stats to the nonexistent theming.

And despite those stats, this ride still ended up with much more restrictive restraints than VelociCoaster.

• Like 3

Superb! I've been looking forward to this one, which yeah it's a moderate ride and obviously it's not VC, or Iron Gwazi, (or Pantheon) but also ya know, it's not supposed to be. I rather like the layout, and it looks kinda compact? This thing won't be very forceful or intense at all obviously but I'd expect it's not forceless either. 

And I've not been here since Kraken was like the only ride. No joke, so I'm pretty excited to go for the time in ages. 

I fully expect the ride to be great - I love the new and old Premier launchers and this looks unique and likely loaded with air and good forces. I want to be clear I'm not saying I personally think its not going to be as good as VC (even though it totally won't be as good).

My point above is not to say it should be as good as VC, but how I expect its generally going to be received, opening less than a year after the universally loved monster just up the street. Its easy to assume how some will see them as very similar rides, and its also hard not to see that everything Ice Breaker does, VelociCoaster also does, and just does better. The stats, the lapbars, the theming, the operations/throughput (sorry but there's no way a Premier with a switch track is going to pump people through the way VC does), you name it.

I'm excited for this ride because I love this park and I'm stoked there will be something else awesome to do but I also just feel like it was entirely pointless to build this at all when VC exists. 🤣

Don't forget that Kraken's track is now almost the same color as Hulk's. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

In all seriousness, this ride does fill a nice gap in the park's lineup. And, well, they could've opened it in late 2020 or early 2021 and beat Velocicoaster to the game. I'm sure they had their reasons but... you snooze you lose, I guess.

Yeah I'm excited to go again, esp since I hear so much about Mako and Manta are up there in terms of B&M hypers/flyers. And what can I say? I am a sucker for a good/interesting layout. And sure the whole multi launch back and forth thing is suddenly not as cool as it seemed in 2020 esp with Pantheon that is far faster lol but I still am kind of excited. 

Universal took precedent of course, I wasnt even planning on making it here this year BUT since I'm a dumbass and realized I got more PTO days than I knew, I may be going here in Mid Feb now XD Use President's day weekend to extend my trip

Wait, what's wrong with the back and forth launch all of the sudden? I mean I still think this ride looks like a lot of fun for what it is, which is smaller coaster with a lower height requirement  in a park with three huge B&Ms that are 54 In minimums. It'll be fine, probably won't crack the top 100 on the TPR poll or anything, but it'll be fine.