TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 263 - New Aquatica Slide!

Are the park rules mask at all times?

Yes. As it should be. This is what they enforce at Disney & Universal and I would expect SeaWorld to do the same, however today made me lower those expectations.

Edited by robbalvey
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AMEN!!! It's so dumb to me that a company (Premier) which made headlines and won awards and praise from all of us for taking OTSR's OFF of rides that didn't need it is now needlessly putting OTSR

Is this like spanking the monkeys?

The Ice Breaker animated POV looks pretty good, I think it will have a good amount of airtime and may be a surprise hit! With that being said can someone PLEASE explain to me why Premier insists on pu

Posted Images

We were both wearing thin, disposable medical masks. They were comfortable and not invasive or annoying at all.

I do think a lot of folks don't have these...

I see them everywhere at the park. I think MOST people either have that style or a cloth mask. You can get them very easily now on eBay. I usually pick them up for about $19 for 50 disposable masks including shipping. When you're talking 38 cents per mask, there is no excuse for people not to have them.

Note: We are currently at Disney Springs. This one photo has more social distancing and guests following the mask rules than we saw all day at SeaWorld! Seriously, SeaWorld, get it together! There’s a perfectly good example right down the street!

EaWnxrzXQAAfCpf.thumb.jpeg.b4c08d1509a1dcd9737aa8e3ec7f9115.jpeg

I'm really surprised and disappointed in Seaworld. It's generally a very quiet park, has a lot of space and has everything going for it to set the gold standard in safety measures. There's no point having rules if you let people break them, otherwise it's just meaningless lip service.

There are a lot of rules in place to keep people safe in a theme park. If someone stands up on a ride they'll be told to sit down, just as if someone takes their mask off they should be told to put it on. If guests can't follow the rules, they shouldn't visit. If the park can't enforce the rules, it shouldn't open.

The virus doesn't respect park boundaries, so they're not just putting these measures in place for their guests and so-called ambassadors, they have an obligation for the wider community.

With all the small annoyances brought upon by our day, you know what WASN'T actually annoying? Wearing the mask in the 92 degree Florida heat like many people said it would be. We were both wearing thin, disposable medical masks. They were comfortable and not invasive or annoying at all.

I really wish I had some magical way to get this through thick peoples heads. No one is asking people to wear some giant respirator, or anything difficult to breathe in. Just wear a basic face covering. A cheap disposable mask is good enough, and there is no need for it to be uncomfortable, just find something basic, and wear it correctly. Quite literally anything is better than nothing.

I was wondering were the slow operations due to cleaning between dispatches? Because if anything I would prefer people wear masks, and parks just give up on wiping down the trains. This is a respiratory illness, getting this through a contaminated surface is a lot harder then breathing it in. The way the virus gets on the surface is from droplets from their nose and mouth anyways, its not like it can actually go through the skin, or that the virus has even been detected in sweat. Stop the virus at its source, through a mask, and there is no need to constantly clean anything. Also the virus can only survive for several minutes outside of the host in heat, and sunlight. For outdoor attractions in the summer, dispatching the train empty every other cycle, or using different rows each cycle is likely just as effective as all that cleaning, and a LOT faster.

If people would just wear masks in public, washed their hands, and stayed a few feet apart when possible we would be able to get back to normal a lot faster. The faster this is over the sooner you can stop wearing the mask, and go on a vacation, and even fill every seat on a coaster train.

It's funny that I see them all the time in Asia, even pre-corona due to air quality for years (the filter masks for air quality are roughly the same ones we get allocated at the pharmacy due to corona), and haven't seen any negative effects. Yet now they're mandatory in the USA, I feel like before the summer's out we're going to see at least one person at a park 'pass out from being forced to wear one' and we'll see both a USA park getting sued for it and the 'I told you we shouldn't have to wear them crowd' getting louder from it.

"You won't see that for another twelve minutes!" we joked as we saw Manta dispatch. And we weren't wrong. The coasters we saw operate were dispatching trains every 9-12 minutes, And running their coasters at half capacity. I mean, if your'e going to run your rides at half capacity, maybe at least TRY to operate them a bit more efficiently to get more people through?

Oof, that is ROUGH. I already knew of restricted capacities on Mako and Kraken but that long of dispatches for Manta is just awful. Were they running double station on Manta? You'd think they would want to do it that way... Split the crowds in half, be able to disinfect and load while the other train is on the circuit...

People literally are FIGHTING about this. ACTUALLY FIGHTING!!! And it disgusts me so much. Maybe it's because I've been going to Japan regularly for 20 years and I've seen people wearing them on ever single visit I've ever had there so it doesn't seem as foreign to me? I don't know.

I was at the point where I thought nothing shocked me about humanity, and then this happened, and now my feeling about humanity has sunk a whole other level that I didn't think was possible.

The "issue" for people is that the instructions / recommendations for face masks came from local and / or state governments and that people are seeing it as a restriction of their own personal freedoms. There is also the same "don't be a wuss" camp that you'd hear from as a kid when you'd be pressured into doing something dangerous. To those people, wearing a face covering is an admission of fear and a knock on their pride. No one seems to understand that face covering requirements are supposed to be a sign of mutual respect for your fellow person's needs - instead, it's a political and ideological issue.

What's worse is that people see this stuff and instead of saying, "oh, I need to protect myself MORE when I go", it's "oh, I can get away with it because no one else cares".

Very disappointed in SeaWorld, how hard is it to go place tape on the ground 6 feet apart outside the queue? It should have been obvious that the queue would spill out to the walkway if it had 6 feet markers throughout the queue. Do you know if they even had markers inside the queue? It's a simple thing that so many places that aren't even theme parks are doing. Unfortunately a lot of people are just going to ignore things unless it's pointed out to them over and over. This kind of stuff happening at this park is exactly why I'm just skipping parks for now.

I'm in the camp that has no desire to wear a mask all day outside but I'm choosing not to go to the parks so I'm not affecting anyone else. If people don't want to follow the rules and wear masks they should just stay home too.

I'd be perfectly fine with SeaWorld and any park throwing out people who take their masks off but there are other parks that don't even throw people out for taking cell phones out on rides so it's probably never going to happen.

That's a pretty disappointing report but unfortunately I have a feeling that when more parks across the country start to open up we're going to see some similar situations. I hope that Disney is the exception but I've seen enough comments from people who are pissed about having to wear masks that it won't surprise me a bit if a lot of people go through security wearing them then take them off until someone makes them put it back on.

The operations are probably the most disappointing part to me, I was looking forward to a visit going in knowing that people will probably ignore the rules and I'll just have to have patience and deal with the stupidity, but I'm not even gonna try if they're dispatching 5 trains an hour.

I really wish I had some magical way to get this through thick peoples heads. No one is asking people to wear some giant respirator, or anything difficult to breathe in. Just wear a basic face covering. A cheap disposable mask is good enough, and there is no need for it to be uncomfortable, just find something basic, and wear it correctly. Quite literally anything is better than nothing.

I was wondering were the slow operations due to cleaning between dispatches? Because if anything I would prefer people wear masks, and parks just give up on wiping down the trains. This is a respiratory illness, getting this through a contaminated surface is a lot harder then breathing it in. The way the virus gets on the surface is from droplets from their nose and mouth anyways, its not like it can actually go through the skin, or that the virus has even been detected in sweat. Stop the virus at its source, through a mask, and there is no need to constantly clean anything. Also the virus can only survive for several minutes outside of the host in heat, and sunlight. For outdoor attractions in the summer, dispatching the train empty every other cycle, or using different rows each cycle is likely just as effective as all that cleaning, and a LOT faster.

If people would just wear masks in public, washed their hands, and stayed a few feet apart when possible we would be able to get back to normal a lot faster. The faster this is over the sooner you can stop wearing the mask, and go on a vacation, and even fill every seat on a coaster train.

This was so perfectly said. Thank you for that.

This couldn't possibly be a more minor thing to ask of guests and the majority of this country is too goddamn proud to just be courteous. Unless there are strict rules that are enforced this will keep happening. FFS, this is a public safety initiative; it's not like we're demanding hazmat suits.

This is EXACTLY what Elissa and I were discussing the other day. How the f is it that the "mask" became such a hot topic??? I thought for sure it would be a "no-brainer" that people would wear it and we would have to put up with Instagrammers showing off their "new cool mask" and it becoming yet another accessory that people would brag about. The reality couldn't be further than that!

People literally are FIGHTING about this. ACTUALLY FIGHTING!!! And it disgusts me so much. Maybe it's because I've been going to Japan regularly for 20 years and I've seen people wearing them on ever single visit I've ever had there so it doesn't seem as foreign to me? I don't know.

But the mask is just so non-invasive. You're right, it's not like we are being asked to wear some hazmat suit, or just giant super uncomfortable piece of clothing, or even go get a weekly blood test, or many of the other things that COULD have become a reality in this.

It's a small piece of fabric across your nose & mouth. It literally is nothing. Yet we've had to ban so many people from our forums, socials, and other TPR outlets because of their just BATSHIT CRAZY PSYCHOTIC INSANE attitude against it.

I was at the point where I thought nothing shocked me about humanity, and then this happened, and now my feeling about humanity has sunk a whole other level that I didn't think was possible.

Masks have sadly become a 'political' issue. Surprise, surprise!

I read an incident reported by Rosanne Cash (Johnny Cash's daughter). She wrote: "My daughter lives in Nashville & wore her mask to buy groceries. Guy yells at her: 'Liberal p---y!'"

Yup...'humanity' keeps lowering the bar for behavior that makes us human.

^I live in Nashville as well and have been safety shamed for wearing a mask. Honestly, I don't care. I just happily go my way and think pleasant thoughts to myself. Like, "hopefully this person will contract COVID and die. One less dipshit donald supporter that I have to tolerate."

^I live in Nashville as well and have been safety shamed for wearing a mask. Honestly, I don't care. I just happily go my way and think pleasant thoughts to myself. Like, "hopefully this person will contract COVID and die. One less dipshit donald supporter that I have to tolerate."

And here I am wearing a mask for the opposite reason... I dont want to get hassled so its easier to just wear it then deal with people.

Edited by Haymaker

And here I am wearing a mask for the opposite reason... I dont want to get hassled so its easier to jist wear it then deal with people.

I'm in the camp that even though I don't like to wear a mask, I'll wear it if I'm in a large public space (such as at Meijer, Walmart, Sam's Club, the local grocery store, etc.). When I go to a theme park this season, I'll go ahead and wear a mask, even though it might be uncomfortable.

People love to lose their shit over nothing. Whether I think it's right or wrong, I wear a mask if I'm required to do it. I follow the rules. People have a problem with being told what to do with anything, anymore.

My opinion about the COVID issue is unpopular with a lot of people, but if I don't want to comply with a park's rules of policies, I just don't go. I don't bitch about it or voice my opinion. I'm sure it would be the same way if a park made everyone wear sunglasses. Even the people who were wearing them to begin with would be outraged that they were required to wear them.

Honestly, the reservations, electronic queuing, and limited capacity seem to be way more inconvenient than simply wearing masks. Those are the main buzz kills for me. If all I had to do was wear a mask and have everything else back to normal, I'd be booking trips.

People love to lose their shit over nothing. Whether I think it's right or wrong, I wear a mask if I'm required to do it. I follow the rules.

THIS!

Honestly, the reservations, electronic queuing, and limited capacity seem to be way more inconvenient than simply wearing masks. Those are the main buzz kills for me. If all I had to do was wear a mask and have everything else back to normal, I'd be booking trips.

ALSO THIS!!!

Someone responded to our report on Facebook saying they waited 40 minutes for one of the SeaWorld coasters WITH QUICK QUEUE! So I can't even imagine how long the actual line really was.

Wearing the mask has been the LEAST intrusive out of all the restrictions put into place. We are sitting right now on two different WDW Resort Reservations, but not knowing if we will actually be able to get a date to visit the parks based on uncertainties.

And then if we DO get to visit, we don't know how long those lines are going to be either.

All of those things... IMO... more annoying than wearing a mask, which I am so used to at this point because I've been wearing it every day for the past 3 months now, that I sometimes go to take a drink forgetting that I have it on!

Edited by robbalvey

I hope SeaWorld and Busch Gardens get their act together on this issue, I expect better from them. I hope Universal has been doing a better job enforcing masks and social distancing.

^Not yet. Robb has a pass but mine is expired and we're trying to decide if we want to renew or not. We have also heard positive things though from park people and non-park enthusiast friends

^I've heard mixed reactions about how things are going over at the Universal properties. Robb, have you and Elissa been over there yet? I would love to hear your take on things.

I've been to Universal twice and both times everyone wore a mask. There are signs everywhere, and people just seem more willing to obey the rules.

My one visit to Sea World last week was a different story. Saw a few groups of people either wearing it wrong or just taking it off completely since they felt they were away from people. So selfish and stupid.

^ Ive never been to SWO, is it a different clientele than the other parks, or all about the same?

It's hard to say because without most of our "tourists" in the area, the clientele is mostly locals which is a VERY different group of people than we are used to. But to give you an idea, a SeaWorld pass with no blockout dates is $96 for the year and a Universal Pass with no blockout dates is $359. My feeling is that the local clientele at both parks most certainly reflects in their pricing.

Hope that answers your question.

We love SeaWorld but they're boxing themselves into a strange situation. I don't want to bring up politics on a theme park site unnecessarily but it's clear to see what they're doing. They're pandering a bit to right leaning crowd since so many people on the other side of the aisle have a less-than-favorable view of them. They go out of their way to salute the troops before each Shamu show for no apparent reason, they do the Waves of Honor thing, their concert lineup heavily skews towards country music, their Christmas Shamu show is about Jesus which is hilarious, they've diversified the Christmas event in general in Orlando by laying in heavy on the religious side of things while nobody else does, they have the Praise Wave music series. They then preach to that crowd about saving the planet which... LOL. I get why they need to pander to the people that they're pandering to because the other side doesn't generally like them (again, with exceptions of course) but that group is generally less likely to wear a mask in a theme park because mask wearing has become politicized because our country politicizes everything.

The whole thing is a bit weird.

Edited by coasterbill