TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

http://www.examiner.com/x-33801-Orlando-Sea-World-Examiner~y2010m6d22-Seaworld-offers-guests-showtimes-and-updates-via-text-message-service

Earlier this year, Busch Gardens Tampa announced their new text messaging service, which would enable guests to have ride wait times, special offers, and "did-you-know-facts" about the park sent right to their cell phones. Guests "love this level of service and how it enhances their park experience", said Jim Dean, the general manger of Busch Gardens.

Why not bring something so useful and informative to it's sister park next door in Orlando?

It seems that Seaworld has opted in on this service to help enhance their visitor's experience. While it's nothing exactly like the text messaging service at Busch Gardens Tampa, it still sends guests who enroll in the program useful information, like show times. Unlike Busch Gardens, signs are not spread out all over the park and only seem to be in select locations. While this service has made it's way over to Seaworld, it seems to still be in the testing phase and may become more prevalent in the future.

To enroll in this service while you visit Seaworld, just text "ShamuFL" to 69050 (sign pictured at left). Your cell phone will automatically receive information, including show times, right your messaging inbox.

• 2 weeks later...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2010/07/seaworld-orlando-unveils-after-3-p-m-ticket.html

SeaWorld Orlando is offering a theme park ticket that allows entrance after 3 p.m. at a discount. The Twilight Ticket runs $39.95 for adults and children. (The usual, all-day price is $79 general, $68 ages 3-9.). The promotion runs through Labor Day — Sept. 6, 2010.

The offer overlaps with the park’s SeaWorld AfterDark offerings, which include “Shamu Rocks” (the nighttime killer whale show), “Sea Lions Tonite” show and “Reflections,” the nighttime fireworks and fountains finale. AfterDark ends Aug. 15.

To obtain the deal, go to www.SeaWorld.com to secure the print-at-home tickets.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-33801-Orlando-Sea-World-Examiner~y2010m7d3-Passport-members-Bring-a-friend-to-Seaworld-for-free

The downturn of the economy has caused a lot of familes to cut corners everywhere in order to save money. Many families aren't traveling as far or staying as long on vacations, or aren't traveling period. Theme park visits can often be very expensive for a day ticket, but there are many ways to save money.

Seaworld is offering one year, two year, and platinum pass members one free ticket for a friend to visit Seaworld together now through September 30th. Passport members will need to reserve this ticket in advance online through their passport account via Seaworld's official website.

Besides bringing a friend for free, Seaworld also has a bonus offer for their pass members (one year, two year, and platinum). Pass members can also invite up to six more friends and save them $20 per ticket. Passport members will need to purchase this ticket online as well on Seaworld's official website.

Other money saving deals going on at Seaworld:

• Pepsi drinkers - save up to $19 on a single day's admission
  • Fun Card - Florida residents can buy a one day ticket and come back for the rest of the year
  • $5 child ticket - Purchase a $5 ticket for your child age 12 or younger at SeaworldCares.com and the $5 will be donated to a wildlife conservation fund.
  • NEW! After 3pm "Twilight" Ticket - Arrive at Seaworld after 3pm and get in for $39.95

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Will be visiting Seaworld this weekend and I feel very bittersweet about it.

I just watched the documentary "The Cove" which was finally up to que in my Netflix and have been feeling horrible about the events that are taking place in Taiji, Japan.

Now, I'm not extremist, a PETA member, or the type of person that will get up each morning to start arguments with people about what is right or wrong, but I have to say that this documentary has touched me.

To me, the documentary's biggest argument is the fact that these people are killing dolphins for food. However, dolphin meat contains high levels of mercury which is highly toxic. So, if you can't eat them, why are you still slaughtering them? Well, I guess the government had to come up with another excuse and said that they are "pests" and need to be exterminated.

All I'm really saying is that the excitement that I had for visiting Seaworld has greatly faded.

I still thinks aquariums should exist because people need to be educated about these beautiful creatures. However, the way they go about "acquiring" these animals really needs to stop. If anyone is interested in learning more, or watching the trailer, or signing the petition (i did) please visit www.savejapandolphins.com .

Thanks for reading.

Hi I still thinks aquariums should exist because people need to be educated about these beautiful creatures. However, the way they go about "acquiring" these animals really needs to stop.

If you are implying that Sea World ins like all the aquariums in the world, you are being mislead.

You also should learn to get information from balanced sources and not just ones that are looking to promote their own agenda.

Ingorance is dangerous!

Just look at this atrocity - Just terrible isn't it?

Edited by larrygator

I'm not implying anything against Seaworld because they do care about their animals, obviously feeding them and keeping them disease free.

Anyway, "All I'm really saying is that the excitement that I had for visiting Seaworld has greatly faded. "

I guess you forgot to quote that.

I'm not implying anything against Seaworld because they do care about their animals, obviously feeding them and keeping them disease free.

Anyway, "All I'm really saying is that the excitement that I had for visiting Seaworld has greatly faded. "

I guess you forgot to quote that.

My bad, it sounded like you were indicting Sea World.

However, I don't understand why your excitement has greatly faded.

You should be overjoyed to be visting and supporting a theme park that supports conservation efforts.

If you read an article about a child dying are you also upset about visiting someplace where there may be healthy children?

I'm just not following your logic and why you should let one incident negatively affect an experience that should make you happy. Sounds like a miserable way to approach life. Oh well, to each his/her own.

Edited by larrygator

I don't understand what your point is, either. Are you saying that Sea World is complicit in the dolphin slaughter? If yes, then why not just skip your visit, if it bothers you? If no, then why would it bother you to go there?

What I got from your post is that a.) you're going to Sea World, b.) you watched a film about dolphin slaughtering, and c.) it bothers you, but I don't see the connection between a and b, that leads to c.

I don't understand what your point is, either. Are you saying that Sea World is complicit in the dolphin slaughter? If yes, then why not just skip your visit, if it bothers you? If no, then why would it bother you to go there?

What I got from your post is that a.) you're going to Sea World, b.) you watched a film about dolphin slaughtering, and c.) it bothers you, but I don't see the connection between a and b, that leads to c.

I think there isn't one...

Of any animal in captivity, I do not think the ones at Sea World are the ones to be concerned for... Furthermore, most of their animals are breed at the facility. Any given time there are at least 4 or 5 calves in their Dolphin Nursery. Sure, at one point, a wild animal was caught and put into a tank, but... at this point, with how long these creatures have been away from the wild and everything learned there, wouldn't releasing them be the most inhumane thing to do?

Sea World does a lot of rehabilitation. As a resident of FL I'm shocked that you would not know this. Many of a manatee off the Space Coast found a way to their facilities up and down the coast. Same for turtles...

Same.

Oh, and for the record, by visiting Sea World, you are essentially donating to the efforts of saving the dolphins that BP is presently endangering, and/or already killing in the Gulf.....you know, that area slightly closer to home. Just sayin'.

I got the "bring a friend for free" flyer in the mail & took advantage for my uncle visiting from NYC...we plan to visit this Saturday...maybe I can get him to buy me dinner now!

Something not totally clear on the flyer or the site, it IS one ticket per household...my mom wanted two (thinking my mom & dad's seperate Gold passes would garner one each) but no dice. Just a friendly 'heads up'.

Oh don't mind my rambling. I was feeling all overwhelmed over a documentary!

Anyway, went to Sea World .. enjoyed my day. Loved the new coaster "Manta" and the line is not so bad! It was pretty entertaining watching the rays

I also stopped by the dolphin nursery and talked to an employee there, she was super nice and very informative.

Overall, very nice experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure you still have to pay for the entry ticket, the quick queue just gets you on the next ride up. Last I heard, they waived the entry fee for season pass holders, but that was in limbo earlier this year and is not listed on their website as a benefit, but their benefits flier expired Dec 2009. Your best bet will be to contact the park, their customer service staff is top notch and will be able to quickly answer your question.

Does anyone know if the pass includes free admission to the sky tower or if I'd still have to pay for it? Thank you.

Quick Queue provides you unlimited front of the line access to all four main attractions: Kraken, Journey to Atlantis, Manta, and Wild Arctic. Quick Queue also provides unlimited access to both Paddle Boats and Sky Tower at no extra cost.

Depending on the day and time that you are there really determines if this is a good purchase or not. When i was there the only ride that i had a long wait was the manta. Even then depending on what time i was there it really was not that bad.

Can you buy these at the park instead of online, so that I can gauge the lines? Also, do they ever sell out? I'm not planning on arriving to the park until 3-4pm. Thank you.

You can buy Quick Queue at the park. They are sold at Guest Services and Guest Assistance Center and depending on time of year (ex. during summer), in some of the gift shops as well. They rarely sell out and you should be fine getting some around 3-4PM.

Saw this pop up on my homepage:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/23/seaworld.fine/?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- SeaWorld has been fined $75,000 by the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration for three safety violations, including one classified as willful, after one of its animal trainers was killed in February.

In a statement issued Monday, OSHA regional administrator Cindy Coe said that SeaWorld knew of the inherent risks of allowing trainers to interact with dangerous animals.

"Nonetheless, it required its employees to work within the pool walls, on ledges and on shelves where they were subject to dangerous behavior by the animals," Coe said in the statement.

SeaWorld denied what it called "unfounded" allegations by OSHA and said it would contest the citations.

"OSHA's allegations in this citation are unsupported by any evidence or precedent and reflect a fundamental lack of understanding of the safety requirements associated with marine mammal care penalties," said a SeaWorld statement Monday.

So if I am reading this correctly, no one is ever allowed to train/work with "dangerous" animals. I could understand that one particular Killer Whale because it had problems in the past, but all animals? Dolphins can be considered dangerous animals, and according to OSHA, they shouldn't be allowed to "work within the pool walls, on ledges and on shelves." Seems a little like OSHA is stepping over it's legal reach. You could easily say the same thing about any number of professions.

Orcas are highly intelligent animals that are not going to take this crap sitting forever. They may look complacent now, but they're all ticking time bombs. I can say that I'm never surprised when I read a story about an orca deciding to snap. You can't piss something like that off forever and not expect it to finally say "enough".

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/08/26/2010-08-26_family_sues_seaworld.html#ixzz0xi6598Gj

The family of a New Hampshire 10-year-old who watched a killer whale batter and drown a trainer at SeaWorld has filed suit against the amusement park, the Daily News has learned.

Todd and Suzanne Connell, who took their son Bobby to Florida in February to celebrate his 10th birthday, say the boy looked straight into Dawn Brancheau's eyes as the doomed trainer briefly freed herself from the orca's jaws.

Bobby Connell "saw the look of horror and desperation on Dawn's face as she was swimming for her life," the complaint reads.

"He then saw Tilikum violently yank her down again to the depths of the pool."

The boy, who became hysterical as Brancheau's broken body was dragged around the tank, has been plagued by gruesome nightmares ever since, the family says.

"He never cried much before. Now he's angry all the time. And he's not eating. The school's had some counseling for him," said his mom, Suzanne Connell.

"It affected all of us. I'll start crying while driving. I mean, we saw her face. She made it to the surface and she looked directly at us. I see that face every night before I go to bed."

The Connells filed a negligence lawsuit Tuesday, one day after the Labor Department smacked SeaWorld for regularly putting Brancheau in mortal danger by letting her get close to the unpredictable 6-ton orca, who had killed twice before.

Brancheau's widowed husband, Scott, is reportedly planning a wrongful-death suit.

Animal rights activists welcomed the legal pressure on SeaWorld.

"These lawsuits and the damning OSHA report bring us closer to the day when frustrated wild animals will no longer be captive in amusement parks, and they also hit SeaWorld's greedy owners in the only place they understand: their wallets," said Ingrid Newkirk, president of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

SeaWorld said it would not comment on pending litigation, but pushed back strongly at the federal report, calling its findings of serious and "willful" violations unfounded.

SeaWorld is appealing the $75,000 in fines levied against it.

Lawyer John Overchuck said the Connells were seeking unspecified damages from SeaWorld and also think Tilikum should be freed.

"What part of 'killer whale' don't you understand? This is one whale that you know is a real killer. If he were a human being, SeaWorld would be harboring a murderer," Overchuck said.

"Put him back in the ocean, where orcas do not kill humans."

The Connells, of Somersworth, N.H., were on their fourth annual trip to SeaWorld when they watched Brancheau do a Feb. 24 lunchtime show with Tilikum called "Dine with Shamu."

Trainers were not allowed in the tank with the killer whale, but Brancheau was lying on a shallow submerged ledge when the whale grabbed her by her ponytail and dragged her under.

The Connells, whose videotape of Brancheau's final performance with Tilikum was widely used by media outlets, have been publicly critical of SeaWorld's immediate response, which they called chaotic.

It took 30 minutes to retrieve Brancheau's body from the killer whale.

They also say SeaWorld managers were rude and dismissive when they brought their crying child to the guest services area.

"SeaWorld has got to understand that there has got to be a result to their actions," Overchuck said. "It might not seem like a big deal to them that this 10-year-old has nightmares, but it's a big deal to his mom."