TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

This will be for the better. I have seen traffic backed up there because guests tend to head from where the octopus is to the large viewing glass for the rays avoiding the pathway around the leafy sea dragons tank all together. It gets pretty bad especially now with the large crowds and even with the curtain, guests been going through it.

With a "door" there, it would force guests to move towards the left around the leafy sea dragons tank and thus improve traffic flow.

• 1 month later...

Seaworld Orlando has sent us a press release about their most recent visit from the popular comedian, Larry the Cable Guy. They have also included a humorous video for you enjoyment!

LARRY THE CABLE GUY “GITS IT DONE” AT SEAWORLD … ORLANDO, FLA. (February 11, 2010) – Comedian and actor Larry the Cable Guy stepped inside SeaWorld Orlando's Penguin Encounter and gave a big thumbs-up to his new feathered friend "Git-R-Done," a rockhopper penguin. Larry credits a previous visit to SeaWorld for being able to answer the $200,000 question about penguins on the television show "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?” He spent the rest of the day at the park with his family, getting up close with animals, screaming on thrill rides and enjoying world-class shows.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=LTCG_PENGUIN_FINAL_HD_lh93[/coastertube]

Seaworld Orlando would also like to remind you that this week continues their concert series, "Bands, Brew & BBQ" with Montgomery Gentry performing on Saturday at the Bayside Stadium.

This Saturday, Feb. 13, Montgomery Gentry performs at SeaWorld. The platinum-certified duo will play some of their greatest hits, such as "If You Ever Stop Loving Me," “Something To Be Proud Of” and “Roll With Me.”

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens rock Saturdays and Sundays in February during Bands, Brew & BBQ: Central Florida’s best country and classic rock line up paired with the smokin’ hot flavor of blazing barbeque and ice-cold beer, including craft-brews and some international favorites.

1846938371_LarrytheCableGuy_1.jpg.4ae408f92ecaac8f835fe7634eba7ebc.jpg

Larry the Cable Guy with "Git-R-Done"

MontgomeryGentry.jpg.52387f172d5761ce98609742c8090395.jpg

Montgomery Gentry

Seaworld has sent us another press release about their Bands, Brew & BBQ concert series for this weekend:

At SeaWorld, John Rich of Big & Rich will be performing on Saturday, Feb. 20. This successful songwriter and entertainer will play some of his chart topping hits, such as "Another You" and "Shuttin' Detroit Down."

At Bands, Brew & BBQ guests can enjoy sizzling live performances from award-winning country and classic rock artists, ice-cold beer, the smokin' hot flavor of blazing barbeque and all the thrilling attractions SeaWorld and Busch Gardens has to offer.

Separate charges apply to all food and beverage items. Event times and talent subject to change or cancellation without notice. Seating capacity is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis. Must be 21 years or older to purchase alcohol.

JohnRich.jpg.949e2be607d0f68bdf636405c243b745.jpg

^OMG THAT WAS A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE PARK DAY!!!

I think that might be the worst day I've ever spent at a park, other than our two visits to Fuji-Q. The park was overrun with people wearing Garth Brooks t-shirts, horrible country music was being played all over the park, and the place was just packed with horribly obnoxious people And the spitting...ugh.

That was also the day I had a fever and to this day don't actually remember leaving the park...

dt

• 2 weeks later...

SeaWorld Orlando has sent out another press release promoting their last weekend of the Bands, Brew & BBQ concert series for this year.

This Saturday, Feb. 27 at SeaWorld, rock legends of the '70s and '80s, Yes will take the stage for the final weekend of Bands, Brew & BBQ and perform chart-topping hits such as “Owner Of A Lonely Heart.”

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens rocks Saturdays and Sundays in February during Bands, Brew & BBQ, with Central Florida’s best country and classic rock line-up paired with the smokin’ hot flavor of blazing barbecue and ice-cold beer, including craft-brews and some international favorites.

2017193749_Yes-Feb_27.jpg.24b79f1a673bb52538811f5bdf2cc263.jpg

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-seaworld-orlando-shamu-injury-20100224,0,942688.story

One person is dead at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium, following an incident this afternoon, an Orange County Sheriff's Office official confirmed.

Orange County Fire Rescue responded to SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium this afternoon on report of a person who was not breathing. Details about the incident are not yet available, but a Sheriff's Office official confirmed it is a death investigation.

A local TV station is reporting that a female trainer was killed after she was grabbed by one of the theme park's whales at the start of a public show.

Park guest Victoria Biniak told Local 6 that the trainer was a veteran of SeaWorld and had just finished explaining to the audience the show they were about to see.

At that point, Biniak said, the whale came up from the water, grabbed the trainer around the waste and "thrashed her all around" to the point the trainer's shoe fell off.

Guests were evacuated and were later told the park was shut down, Biniak told Local 6. Rescue personnel were called to the theme park at 2 p.m. Calls to SeaWorld and Orange County Fire Rescue were not immediately returned.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration dispatched an investigator from Tampa to investigate, an OSHA spokesman said.

Local 6 is reporting that the whale involved in the incident is named Tillikum, and that whale has been involved in at least one other incident at the park.

Tillikum, nicknamed "Tilly," has a controversial past. The large whale was blamed for the drowning of one of his trainers in 1991 while he was performing at Sealand of the Pacific in British Columbia.

Sold to SeaWorld as a stud in 1992, the whale was involved in a second incident when authorities discovered the body of a naked man lying across his back in July 1999.

Authorities later concluded the man, who had either snuck into SeaWorld after hours or hidden in the park until it closed, most likely drowned after suffering hypothermia in the 55-degree water.

But they also said it appeared Tillikum had bit the man and tore of his swimming trunks, likely believing he was a toy to play with.

SeaWorld has had incidents with its killer whales in the past. In 2005, a trainer was injured by what park officials called an "overly excited" whale that bumped the trainer during a live performance. The injuries were minor.

Many animal-rights activists have long criticized SeaWorld and other marine parks for keeping orcas and other wildlife in captivity. Russ Rector, a former dolphin trainer in Fort Lauderdale, said keeping the animals captive makes them dangerous.

"Captivity is abusive to these animals. And the abuse mounts up. And when these animals snap -- just for a minute -- they're so big and can be so dangerous that it's like a shotgun," Rector said. "It does an incredible amount of damage in just a moment."

This is certainly sad news... Our condolences go out to the trainer's family and to the SeaWorld team for their loss.

If anyone sees video or photos of this incident surface, please post and let us know.

This is certainly sad and shocking.

It's important to remember that even though the Whales and Dolphins look so friendly, smart, and nice, they are still wild animals much bigger and stronger than us.

They are called Killer Whales for a reason.

I also feel bad for the people in the audience that witnessed this and had to explain it to their children.

Wow, this is so sad. I completely agree with you, Elissa. It's very easy for people to forget that these animals have wild instinctual behavior, no matter how long they've been in captivity.

It's very unfortunate this happened. My heart goes out to the family of the trainer and the audience.

='(

Something else 'theme park wise' that may come out of this is a further toning down of the Shamu Show. I believe when Merlin took over the Busch and Sea World parks it was stated that they have a very different corporate attitude to animal performances, but would stick with the Sea World formula for now.

I wonder if this will be re-evaluated now in light of the accident.

Wow, this is very sad. Now I'll wait to see what they say on the local news down here.

Edit: Bay news 9 just cut in for a few minutes with this breaking news. I guess they'll have more coverage later. Apparently, Tilly was the name of the Killer Whale involved.

Edited by alpengeist04

Sea world has been getting criticism by many people and organizations (As said by Wikipedia here) for having Killer Whales captive; in which case would lead to this. My heart goes out to the family of the trainer, I wish them happiness and strength as they pull together upon this awful incident.

Such sad news! I was just down there a couple weeks ago - I saw this same show, and probably this same trainer and this same whale. When you're watching such a delightful, entertaining performance, it's easy to forget that these animals can indeed be quite dangerous. The performers make it look like it's so easy to work with them - but these magnificent creatures are still much bigger than us, and so very powerful. My heart goes out to the trainer's family and friends, to the rest of the staff, and to SeaWorld Orlando.

This is horrible. I've always heard stories like this but it's different to hear of one currently. I've always had a huge interest in Killer Whales and for a long period of time wanted to be a whale trainer. It's horrible for someone to be killed by what they have such a passion for, and even worse that there were hundreds of families there to see it.

Apparently this isn't the first incident involving Tilly.

According to the Orlando Sentinel:

Tillikum, nicknamed "Tilly," has a controversial past. The large whale was blamed for the drowning of one of his trainers in 1991 while he was performing at Sealand of the Pacific in British Columbia.

Sold to SeaWorld as a stud in 1992, the whale was involved in a second incident when authorities discovered the body of a naked homeless man lying across his back in July 1999.

Authorities later concluded the man, who had either snuck into SeaWorld after hours or hidden in the park until it closed, most likely drowned after suffering hypothermia in the 55-degree water.

But they also said it appeared Tillikum had bit the man and tore of his swimming trunks, likely believing he was a toy to play with.