TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

So I have followed this thread long enough to make my very 1st post haha. Everything from the initial drawings where people had their panties in a bundle over the simplistic and "short" layout...to the debate over the "wing dip"....To "it will never live up to "Tatsu".... The bottom line is there are 157 pages of people who are interested regardless. I have lived in the Tampa Bay area my entire life and have seen my good share of Busch themeing. Kumba's grass cutting landscape, Montu's Egyptian Oasis, Sheikra's...well 2nd drop tunnel and splash down lol....The bottom line is Manta has far exceeded any sort of themeing they have previously done. Can themeing make up for a slightly "less exciting" layout?.....Yes, considering on Manta you will be excited just to GET in line to view the rays.

People have complained about all too much on this coaster and created unecessary debate while they are dry humping some other flying coaster. SeaWorld is giving you a damn aquarium as a Que, Perfectly landscaped surroundings ( judging by what I have seen ), Amazing looking trains and certainly one of a kind, and the 1st flyer in Florida ( which kicks the Sh*t out of Superman UF: Georgia IMO).

I for one, am very excited and proud of SeaWorld for bringing us something we cannot find elsewhere. I do thank all of you for your photo updates as I have followed them while taking "breaks" at work.

Not much more to say other than Memorial Day could not come fast enough. Manta is a great addition to the park as I feel Krakken is somewhat a "tame" coaster compared to the Tampa pack Busch has.

-Matt

Was out at the park for the first time in over a week and there has been significant change on the site. First thing of note is that one of the trains now has graphics on all of the little rays, not just the zero-car. Honestly, I didn't even notice until I was editing the photos at home, but after comparing the completed train with one sans-all the graphics, it's a HUGE improvement. I never really understood how someone could not like the look, but when compared to one with just zero-car graphics, there's an obvious void.

Many large trees have been planted around the waterfall area, and it appears as though the waterfall is nearing completion. There also has been a little palm placed on top of the structure. SeaWorld has completely blocked off views from the splash area, and I didn't manage to get any good pictures of that area, but from what I saw nothing has really changed. Also, the construction walls opposite of the ride have been taken down as well, showing off the new area.

The actual station is looking better and better everyday, as the photos will show, and there has been a new thematic structure constructed to the left of the waterfall.

The big news is people (supervisors/park management) have begun riding the coaster earlier this week, and I got a couple shots of people on the ride. Below are a select few shots from today, as well as four videos showing off different angles of the ride testing, shot with a higher quality camera than my phone lol. Enjoy.

And now the videos.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=MVI_0543_9hii[/coastertube]

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=MVI_0526_kqrf[/coastertube]

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=MVI_0525_fmh1[/coastertube]

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=MVI_0522_l7rb[/coastertube]

I should have a very unique update in the next two weeks. Can't really say more than that, but keep an eye out.

Thanks gatorchomp83! Once again, those were great photos as well as excellent video footage.

The graphics on the smaller rays really makes the graphics on the whole train flow together making it look even greater!

As for the themeing that is going up, more and more is it starting to look like the concept art. I'm really excited how it will turn out, the more the themeing, the better.

Its also great to see people testing it because then we know the testing with the dummies went well.

All in all, can't wait for your next update.

Thanks a bunch for the pics and video. That ninth pic is making me have second thoughts on the cars without the graphics being better. Adding things to the little rays really made a difference for me. Great to see some people riding it as well...lucky. Lol.

How awesome! The entrance to Manta definately has a stargate thing going on... it's really starting to take shape now though, soon we can see the lagoon and everything will be up and ready to go.

There's definately something odd going on with those trains though, I'm not complaining, but they do look like an electric pokemon now.

-Justin

I take back what I said (kinda). The "lightning bolts" on the manta look actually pretty nice with the same pattern on the rest of the train. I could do without the purple, but it's nothing major.

Thanks for the videos and pictures, they're awesome! All the landscaping going into the ride is going to look great, it already does.

^ I kind of agree with the Pokemon thing. But the ride is a looking kick a$$ with all the theming coming more and more together. Gotta give it to sea world for doing such an awesome job. And it looks like there is still a lot of work to be done so I can only imagine what it will look like once its all competed. So close!!

Wow! The theming looks incredibly elaborate. Sea World id doing a great job. The hidden manta's are obvious their answer to hidden mickeys!

Not only are there "Hidden Mantas" you can find FIVE Hidden Shamu's in the video linked below. Some of them are pretty tricky to find though:

http://www.seaworldnews.com/sitepage.aspx?PageID=598

You can see the first at the :15 mark of the video. Good luck finding the rest!

hi guys,

first time poster here

i have a question: i was planning on going down to sea world on manta's opening weekend, memorial day weekend, and was planning on only staying for only a day. any idea how crazy packed it will be?! Im assuming that Memorial Day Weekend + Manta Opening = PACKED. just wanted an expert opinion from u guys. and ive been to orlando about a billion times, but i havent been to sea world in about 2 yrs, and i remember they tried out that 'fast pass' system that universal uses but im not sure if they still have it...anyone know? i figured if i am going then i am deff going to get one for that weekend. thanks or the help.

I read that you can only buy the Quick Que at the park...true? And can u buy more than one for a single person? haha kinda lame, but im thinkin i might need to. I hate lines. And i cant find any of these answers online.

^Quick Queue is very much like Universal Orlando's Express Pass offering. It is a single ticket addition to your park admission that gives you one-time priority access to specific rides and shows in the park. You get front of the line access for each of the included attractions, once and only once.

There aren't any bundle deals (that I know of) like you see with Six Flags' Q-Bots, meaning that you have to buy Quick Queue for every individual in your party for the same price each.

In the video, another "hidden whale" can be found at :42 jumping out of the water in the background.

I was at the park today and of course they are still testing but looks like more employees are riding it now. Today they had a train with at least 10 people on it. It was funny because one girl on it was screaming so much that everyone walking by just stared at it.

Rumors has it that a soft opening may begin sometime at the beginning of May but I'll believe it when I see it.

A couple days ago I heard from a person that did work their that on may,1st 2009 they might be doing a soft opening. But I could be wrong.

I also love the paint job on the train.

I was at the park today and of course they are still testing but looks like more employees are riding it now. Today they had a train with at least 10 people on it. It was funny because one girl on it was screaming so much that everyone walking by just stared at it.

Rumors has it that a soft opening may begin sometime at the beginning of May but I'll believe it when I see it.

Marketing employees were given the chance to ride yesterday afternoon for a few hours. It did look like there were some people in "street clothes" and not work clothes riding. Manta employees are saying a May 1 soft opening is looking pretty good, but of course, it's just what they're saying. We'll know in a few weeks when their work schedule is posted.

I was at the park yesterday, and they started testing around 4pm with employees.

I also heard about soft opening around May 4th...

Anyway, onto the pics!

413710952_SeaWorld4-21-09032(Medium).jpg.ca74bb6fe4dd0a855f3003f8786699de.jpg

1811433519_SeaWorld4-21-09031(Medium).jpg.b218a2fc455efe8cdf94d2b33f0ae372.jpg

Holding up the track

1202805237_SeaWorld4-21-09029(Medium).jpg.8c28a0aa1ecb9f556c51de14cfb7e200.jpg

Note to self: SUNSCREEN!!

1190402520_SeaWorld4-21-09028(Medium).jpg.1757d65b419f4c48abbf6949f6ccebf0.jpg

2001026810_SeaWorld4-21-09027(Medium).jpg.bb5e86ea8b8bb881c8ddb36301bce609.jpg

1148492767_SeaWorld4-21-09026(Medium).jpg.78f956e99927644e6a839b8054c73381.jpg

924689699_SeaWorld4-21-09025(Medium).jpg.0a27c723351a9bbdc178d4d6c801a833.jpg

1393881293_SeaWorld4-21-09024(Medium).jpg.3944bc72290f3705c7c8dfa612277472.jpg

1114227766_SeaWorld4-21-09023(Medium).jpg.0217513ec436083e1c69e80c596bc181.jpg