TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I don't really remember the tank that housed the manta in the Osaka aquarium to be that prohibitively gigantic but I really have no idea what the space at Sea World is like. But those numbers sorta speak for themselves, which means no actual manta.

I think it's kinda disappointing on Sea World's part to name the attraction after an animal that guests won't be able to see at the park. There's gonna be a ton of kids wanting to learn about mantas, but nothing to actually see. At another park it wouldn't bug me as much, but Sea World has the whole educational/discovery vibe to its park, so it's just weird they'd do it.

Plus I'd rather watch an actual manta doing tank donuts than ride a B&M flyer.

^ I see where your coming from but to some of the general public, a ray is a ray. Sure there are some of us who are well educated to tell the difference but the majority of people would just call any ray a stingray.

To give you an example, I have heard quite a few times at the park around the construction walls with the name of the ride where someone would ask "Hey, Manta, isn't that what killed Steve Irwin?" to their family. Of course we know it wasn't a Manta but to them, its just a stingray. Another one which really bothers me was a woman who was so certain that she told her whole family that a Manta was what killed Steve Irwin. I remember when I heard that, I thought to myself, "are you serious!?!"

I know these may be isolated incidents but its sad that in the eyes of some in the general public, a stingray no matter the species is an stingray.

Hopefully there is a section of the aquarium that will provide educational material that describes the different species of stingrays and where they are found throughout the world's oceans similar to the one in Penguin Encounter.

^^ I'm with you on that. To me, it's just so odd that they wouldn't go that extra yard to showcase the actual animal. The project itself is gonna be terrific, and obviously already cost a ton, but there will always be that part of me that's slightly let down from not being able to see one on display there. Any rarely-captive animal is a real treat to see with your own eyes...at least in my book.

Anyway, here's some aquarium stats for comparison's sake:

Georgia Aquarium - 6.3 million gallons. Granted, this wasn't built to specifically house a

manta ray.

Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas - 2.7 milllion gallons. To my understanding, it was never originally intended to house a manta either. That water is also spread out over many different viewing areas.

Shamu's tank at Sea World, Orlando - approximately 7 million gallons. (according to Wikipedia...so yeah)

Osaka Aquarium - It's possible that something got lost in the translation/conversion, because I came up with 1.4 million gallons in their main tank. That seems maybe slightly off....not sure though.

Here's a video where you can see the size of the area the Manta Ray is in. There are nets on the right side that keep him cordoned in that area. It's certainly a big space, but not prohibitively gigantic. Sea World could easily pull off the length and width of that size, but the height is pretty major.

^You're right, that area doesn't look all that large. The depth is much greater than what the tanks for Manta appear to be, but I could definitely see a more spread out, shallower version of that tank being built on the site. Maybe the problem was the actual process of attaining a manta ray. I wonder if that plays a large part in why so few aquariums have them also. Because there are plenty of sea creatures larger than manta rays (killer whales for instance) that are held in captivity all the time. So I wonder if their ability to get a manta ray was what resulted in them going with other rays and not the size of the tank required.

Through a YouTube search (hoping a POV might have been posted, but to no alas) I stumbled upon the following two websites that ya'll might be interested in.

Manta watch

This site is (what appears to be) a construction worker's blog on the construction of Manta. There are a couple of videos on there, including a ride in the bucket when they were topping off the coaster.

Manta Construction

I believe this site is by the same person, but here he shows off on-site construction shots, from angles we haven't seen yet.

Apparently Sea World didn't love those links I posted. Both sites have been taken down.

Thanks for the props gatorchomp83, I just stumbled on this post. Indeed both the sites were mine and SeaWorld (more acurately Busch Entertainment Corporation) did not like my them though I am sure that it was not because of the links you posted. They found me on the construction site and asked me to take the website(s) down, (and then promptly banned me from the construction site).

I know longer work for the firm that I did when I was asked to take the site down so I am considering re-posting the pics. If so I'll make sure and let y'all know

But, we are talking about the Sea World. How could they not get a Manta if they really wanted. Perhaps they are especially irritated by vibrations.

On a cool note, I was Scuba Diving a few years ago with a group in Mexico off a reef, and two of these magnificent creatures swam (glided) directly under me. They were so big, it was unreal. That one experience defines my scuba career.

On a cool note, I was Scuba Diving a few years ago with a group in Mexico off a reef, and two of these magnificent creatures swam (glided) directly under me. They were so big, it was unreal. That one experience defines my scuba career.

Awesome!

I was playing volleyball in a tournament once in Pompano Beach, FL, and during a break in the games I noticed the "resident" Manta Ray gliding off the coast. The locals had named him "Big Ben," but that was the first time I had seen him. I ran into the water, and was able to swim alongside him for about 10 feet or so. It was an incredible feeling...especially since he was so close to shore. The funniest thing was hearing a couple shocked tourists tell me how crazy I was to swim with a shark. hehe.

Also, I am now officially referring to their new coaster as Ray. The three trains will also be referred to as Charles, Liotta, and Rachel. So yes, guys, you will soon be able to ride Rachel Ray at Sea World Orlando.

^I'm seriously jealous of you. I'm a scuba diver also, and manta rays are my favorite sea creatures. There's something unnaturally graceful about them. I really need to go diving around some.

My girlfriend and I are doing a Manta Ray night dive in hawaii next month. If it all works out we will get to ride manta right before we get on the plane to fly to hawaii.

Awesome!

I was playing volleyball in a tournament once in Pompano Beach, FL, and during a break in the games I noticed the "resident" Manta Ray gliding off the coast. The locals had named him "Big Ben," but that was the first time I had seen him. I ran into the water, and was able to swim alongside him for about 10 feet or so. It was an incredible feeling...especially since he was so close to shore. The funniest thing was hearing a couple shocked tourists tell me how crazy I was to swim with a shark. hehe.

Also, I am now officially referring to their new coaster as Ray. The three trains will also be referred to as Charles, Liotta, and Rachel. So yes, guys, you will soon be able to ride Rachel Ray at Sea World Orlando.

Personally as a Brit, I'd call one of the trains Winstone.

I also watch WWe, so another would have to be called Mysterio.

I'd call the last one Ban and everyone who rides it must do so wearing shades.

I know this was just found, but has anyone come across this any bigger than this? I am trying to read everything, and it is just too small.

This ride is really turning out beautiful! I cannot wait to see the inside. As far as the buildings not being big, I think that the queue may start going down, before it goes up! Sub levels equal more room! That is the impression the artwork leaves me anyway.

Johnnyupsidedown has a bigger picture here: http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta/sw352a.jpg

It's kinda odd that a ride called "Manta" may not have Manta Rays in the tanks for guests to see. Then again, if it's rare, it's understandable.

I'm also liking the concept art they've got for the inside. Everything's looking great so far.

From Wikipedia:

"Manta rays are very rarely kept in captivity, primarily due to their size. Only four aquariums in the world have manta rays on display."

Says that one Manta lives in an aquarium that holds 6.2million gallons of water.

So I can kind of see why they wouldn't put a Manta near the ride.

Stopped at SeaWorld tonight on the way home from Busch Gardens to catch a night ride on Kraken, and they were cycling Manta like crazy. Running two trains, using both sides of the station, and dispatching as soon as a train hit the final brakes.

The news though is that one of the trains has graphics put onto the zero-car that look AMAZING. We tried getting pics but it was too dark (got there around 8:30) but the graphics enhance the look of the trains exponentially. I'm sure I'll get back out to the park before the end of the week and will try to get some pics if I do.

RCPro has posted an update that shows how great the themeing is coming along. Included in the update is an video of Manta testing with the new zero car design. Unfortunately, it is nearing evening and it is moving too fast to see the design clearly. Even by pausing the best I can say is it looks like some watery design...

Link to photo update: http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/updates/swo04.08.09/

Link to video: http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/updates/swo04.08.09/video.html

*Note: The video has two cycles, the second cycle has the new zero car design.

Preview: