TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

That "reach envelope" is pretty neat! I love finding out little things like that about the design of roller coasters. I'm aware that saying that makes me sound like a total nerd...but whatever.

Seriously, this was a really cool batch of pictures. I don't know when I'd ever actually get down to Florida to ride it, but if I ever do, I'll be glad to know that pretzel loop looks extra "pretzeley"!

This coaster looks great, I hope to go to Orlando at some point, I have not been since second grade. I hope to see a few more of these flyers soon. This, Crystal Wings, and AIR are the only three flyers not owned by Six Flags. And two of the coasters are not in the US, so this ride, with the added theming will easily be the nicest looking flyer in the US. Now all I have to do is see if this steals the crown of my number 1 coaster(tied with Apollo's Chariot) from Tatsu.

It's funny - up until we did the tour the other day I had only seen the coaster from the surrounding roads while it was under construction. It is a LOT more impressive up close and the level of theming really seems to be great. It also really is going to be impressive to see as you enter the park - it has great positioning and will be a focal point when you first walk in.

Looking very slick to me! Is there a TPR get-together in Orlando in May? That's when I'll be there, would love to meet up with some of you to ride this!

I'll hope you are here after this coaster will be open for the public at May 22.

But when I am at SeaWorld in September I would really like it to meet Robb and his gang to ride this great rollercoaster.

Because back in 2006 when i was visiting SFMM, I was not able to meet Robb and his gang to ride Tatsu.

Kraken is going to be the red-headed step child now, but that's not a bad thing when it's sibling is Manta.

I understand that there will be two entrances, one for aquarium and one for ride, so am I correct in thinking that the location with the Manta sign going up is for the ride and that bridge going into the building is for aquarium?

I believe the photo caption for the bridge was something like "you will enter here when Manta opens" so I'm not sure.

I understand that there will be two entrances, one for aquarium and one for ride, so am I correct in thinking that the location with the Manta sign going up is for the ride and that bridge going into the building is for aquarium?

I believe the photo caption for the bridge was something like "you will enter here when Manta opens" so I'm not sure.

its a good possibility. if you look at the map that show the whole ride (the one that has the red track in the construction zone) it shows two different entrances. Thank you for pointing that out!

Kraken is going to be the red-headed step child now, but that's not a bad thing when it's sibling is Manta.

Ahhh, I don't know about that. It will tough for Manta to beat out Kracken. I know Manta has not opened yet, but Kracken looks like it will have a shorter line and it alos provides a longer ride time then Manta. Thats just my opinion of course.

Perhaps. I guess a lot of people really like these Flying Coasters, but I just don't find them very...well, coaster-like. I mean, they're fun and all. But I just can't imagine one ever being in my top 10.

As always, your milage may vary. But I'll probably be over at Kraken.

^With all my respect, how is a flying coaster not very "coasterlike"? In my eyes its the ultimate bread of coaster because it can hang beneath the track or roll on top, doing whatever inversion it wants. You could say that an invert or a sit down can do whatever it wants, but inverts are not doing pretzel loops and when a sit down tries (In the case of Fahrenheit), it just doesnt have the same feel. Granted I've never ridden Fahrenheit or Speed Monster, but I personally feel they are the ultimate coaster. And lets be serious, who hasn't wanted to fly at least once in their life?

Perhaps. I guess a lot of people really like these Flying Coasters, but I just don't find them very...well, coaster-like. I mean, they're fun and all. But I just can't imagine one ever being in my top 10.

As always, your milage may vary. But I'll probably be over at Kraken.

That is what I was getting at. I will be over at Kracken most of the day . But I don't know what your getting at with the Flying coasters not being very "Coasterlike".

Wow Robb!! Thank you for sharing that awesome backstage goodness with us! I must admit, those under belly shots of some of the elements sure made me feel all silly and gleeful.

I too once thought that Manta looked almost, dare I say it - dull… These shots make me feel otherwise. Those outside the barricade shots do not do the coaster credit. These inside shots make it look so sweet! (We have to keep in mind, that position we will be in can only allow the body to handle so much. It is not like sitting upright. It should feel much better than it looks.) And that pretzel loop - my most favorite element on a flying coaster!! YAY!! Manta will surely be my very first stop the morning I get to Sea World! I totally cannot wait to see all the theming complete! It will surely look amazing!

Anyone going to be in Orlando the first week of July?

With all my respect, how is a flying coaster not very "coasterlike"?

Well, it's hard to explain. Perhaps the flying position creates too different of an experience, to my taste. But beyond being high up in the air, I just don't feel much rush or thrill. Maybe they're just not "out of control" enough for me.

I mean, I enjoy them. But I enjoy observation towers, too.

/No agenda. I guess I just don't "get" them.

//That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I think what he means is that it is so far off from what a normal coaster is (mainly the flying element and the fact that it is the opposite of what coasters used to be). I would consider it a pretty good type of coaster, but that's what I think he's trying to say.

^^Or I should just read the page before posting and notice that you've had it explained, but I typed too much to waste it on just backspacing.