TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

^hey, whatever they do, whether dragging a wing, or timing a fountain, they are just trying to have water shoot out for the non riders on cool days. At Busch Gardens Africa, there are so many kids who stand next to Sheikra for hours just to get wet over and over again. It's a great time for parents to sit down a relax for a while.

Agreed. Non-rider interaction is a great thing, like on the soaker-coasters (proper name?).

I agree it is possible that the concrete section could be empty, perhaps waterfall edges. From looking at it again though, the trench doesn't actually follow the coaster path. Especially where it curves out and away at the end of the curve which is theoretically the direction a splash trail would follow.

I now would definitely side with water sprayers now.

One thing I was thinking was a possibility. What if the wings on the cars were angled in such a way that only the tip entered the water. The part that went underwater would be vertical, likely lessening the cross-force through the cars. There could then be fountains to create the actual splash effect. While the wing isn't actually causing the splash, it would seem much more plausible, as the wing would be underwater, looking like it was creating the splash.

Great video by SeaWorld.

I think the video does a great job portraying what they wanted; going from seeing to being. You start out underwater seeing the rays and as your anticipation builds, you become the ray and soar through the sea and sky.

Not to mention the music too, I would not doubt that was one of the original score produced just for this attraction. I love it.

Now I cannot wait for this ride! According to SeaWorld website, official opening date is May 22, 2009!

^ I completely agree with this. They created the effect that they were going for flawlessly. My only concern is that in this commercial they try to make the ride appear to be very family friendly. And between the height requirement and the strong forces the ride appears to have (at least for the first section of the ride) I would not consider this a family friendly attraction.

Sweet video, thanks for posting this! I thought it really emphasized the off ride experience and how magnificent it will, but it also really emphasized the "wing drag" of the ray. As soon as the boy is riding the ray, its doing swoops on the surface and the bottom of the ocean and,of course, when the track starts appearing. This leads me to believe that the "splashdown", whether created by the car or a cannon, will be one of the main focuses of the entire ride. Further, notice that when the track and supports started appearing they were pretty realistic to that of real life, which, Im making conclusions again, that the video must be pretty accurate in showing the coaster. So when the train is on the track and it has those massive wings, perhaps they will actually be huge. From the first artwork released to this video they emphasized the size of the manta on the car, which would reach the concrete valley currently in place. Thats just my two cents, and maybe Im just not willing to accept that it might not be a true splashdown.

What a high quality production! Thanks for the link.

Let's not forget that there is going to be the option to walk through the line area as an exhibit and not have to ride the coaster. It's supposed to be another entire walkthrough attraction for non-riders, so I think this commercial hit all the bases excellently!

Do these pipes being placed in the "splash down" look interesting to anyone?

http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta/sw609a.jpg

like they could possibly shoot water?

Yes. And although it could be an optical illusion, that photo really suggests that the train "wings" couldn't possibly be dipping into the trench.

So I guess that about solves it: No true "train splash," just an effect.

Great update, it was awesome seeing all of the ride from inside the construction area and up close and personal with the ride. The first half of the ride is such a twisted section of steel and then after the MCBR just looks fun. I feel a little dissapointed that it won't be a true wing dip, but it will still be a cool section. Now I cannot wait til the trains are reveiled, that will be "aha" moment for the entire ride.