TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Does anyone have a picture of how the wing dip slash splash down area will work? I dont get the splash part and why there is a trench dug out. THe only thing I can think of is that the entire "occean" will we filled with rays and then the little area where it splashes down will be ray-free. Is that right?

Is it just me or does it look like the "wing dip" spot should be placed closer to the track unless the wings of the ray curve because right now it looks like it's going to hit the concrete.

your not the only one. But were not even sure if the wing dip will involve actually touching the water.

Nice pictures, glad to see an update on this baby

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!!!

Thank you so much Adam, these are great Photos of Manta!

My brother lives in Orlando, so I'm planning on getting there this summer to ride Manta and Rock It.

My hat goes off to Sea World, if all goes as planned, this will be a top attraction added to Orlando's already existing list of Amazing experiences and Memories!!

Thanks again!!

Is it just me or does it look like the "wing dip" spot should be placed closer to the track unless the wings of the ray curve because right now it looks like it's going to hit the concrete.

your not the only one. But were not even sure if the wing dip will involve actually touching the water.

Nice pictures, glad to see an update on this baby

Thats not true though. In the introduction of the ride by seaworld some months ago, they said that it will skim the water.

"Gliding, swooping and diving up to nearly 60 mph, through four inversions on 3,359 feet of track, riders will feel as if they are a ray, taking flight effortlessly from sky to sea -- so close at times that the Manta's wings skim the waves."

In the picture, you see that the actual wings of a manta ray curve up at the end, perhaps the real ride will have the same concept of the curving wing. that would allow it to reach back and scoop the water up.

Manta.jpg.6e495ccdb5b61fff569d37746632032d.jpg

The tips of the wings curl up. So when the ride is at the 90 degree angle or whatever perhaps the curve will allow it to get the splash

There will no sealife in the splash zone for the attraction. All of that will be housed inside the exhibit itself. The pathway between Strollers & Turtle Point has since re-opened in its new incarnation, which is noticeably more curved than before to accomodate the pond being constructed in front of the employee lounge. This is supposed to be the new home for the flamingos. The new pathway definitely takes you closer to the ride and definiterly makes it look more impressive. Can't wait for everyone to see it with the walls down!

Great update, thanks for posting it.

I think the wing dip splash effect is mostly a special effect. I bet the trains will either skim right above the water, or just have a little portion of the train touch the water. The splash effect its self will be created by jets in the water-- the same way that it is created for the Hulk coaster over at IOA.

I love that shot of the newest building structure that has gone up! That is the ride entrance, and we know from the construction map that a waterfall feature will be built there. It should be a really close fly by; and there is already piping attached to the track there to show the artists how far riders can reach out.

"Is it just me or is this a steeper lift hill than normal?" (mforce00)

Tatsu's lift is that steep, but I think it's a bit taller. That design saves ground space, and, at least on Tatsu, gives quite a view as you climb and from near the top once you reach it.

Manta's approach to the pretzel loop appears to dip close to the ground like the Superman Ultimate Flight rides; perhaps that's because on all flyers in the U.S. thus far, that element is at the beginning of the ride. Tatsu's pretzel comes near the end, so the approach to it doesn't dip that far.

Did that make any sense?

"Now I wish Sea World CA would get something like this." (socalman123)

Good luck. They had a hard enough time getting Journey to Nowhere. Remember, for whatever reason, the powers that be in San Diego seem to object to SeaWorld building anything with height.

Eric

From an engineering perspective, I doubt that there will be an actual wing tip dragging in the water. If they designed the tip to contact the water and displace enough water that it would create a large and repeatable effect, then there would have to be a lot of speciality engineering done just for that moment. There would be very very large forces going through the wingtip, and that requires designing everything from the car to the track to handle an offset load. The Busch dive machines use a water splash effect that produces such a force, that it is used as a brake to slow the coaster down. That is all fine and great because the force is parallel to the track.

Basically, Sea World would have needed to spend quite a bit more money on engineering than they would for a fake effect.

Who knows though, this is designed to be a centerpiece so anything could happen.