TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Agreed. What's throwing me off is the 6" comment.

It doesn't surprise me that he says it's totally different than SheiKra - after all, it has to be. It's a completely different style of coaster that presents its own challenges. As much information as you were trying to get out of him, it seemed like he was still giving "GP-ized" answers, to an extent, as he would be expected to.

I suppose there must be some sort of generated effect, given the position of the train in relation to the crowd. Unless you're going to put some elaborate piping on the train to pump water up and over it (which really doesn't make sense from a number of perspectives), there doesn't seem to be a way to direct the splash towards people.

However, I also seem to remember something being said about how there won't be a "splash" area like SheiKra has...perhaps I'm thinking of something else though.

Either way, I think apart from the fact that we know it's almost certainly going to dip the zero-car into the water, I think we should stay away from speaking of any other details about the splash as "confirmed."

Do we even know if they have the splash finalized yet? Remember, when SheiKra was built they tried out a couple of different splash effects in the testing phase. Is it possible that they may have a couple of options that are going to be worked out when the coaster if fully built, or is it for sure that they know all the details at this point? Maybe that's a reason that the answer was so vague.

^If they can do really good dispatches, and get those trains out in a timely manner, then yeah, they probably would need the MCBR. Just for safety reason.

I think this ride look beautiful already. I really hope the themeing pulls out well. I have little doubt about that though. It's a Busch Park. They normally do a pretty good job. I mean, could you imagine Alpengeist without theme? Ugh!

^And as I said, if they run it like Kraken that brake run is going to be absolutely pointless.

Up until around 2:30pm Saturday, they had one train on Kraken. Once the line reached the third "building," then they decided to add the second one. After adding the second one, they managed to stack them every cycle. We were sitting on the brakes for a good 3-4 minutes waiting for the other train to dispatch.

I don't really care to complain and whine about dispatch times and whatnot, but that was ridiculous, and is precisely why I feel the MCBR on Manta was not needed.

The mid course break run was meant to control the speed and such for the Splash down that follows.

That's what I thought it was for, but then it just made me think why couldn't they have added a helix or some sort of twist before the splashdown and let wheel friction take out the speed, or at least just put in a trim break. It just doesn't seem reasonable to me to put a massive MCBR in a layout this short.

Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY excited about this coaster and think it's going to be a lot of fun. However, if they had taken out the MCBR and put in a nice 360deg Egg Turn that goes over the station and back into the direction of the brakes, and then a nice little bunny hop like Fire Dragon that is lead by a trim, that would have made this ride that much better.

There are ways around a MCBR that can control the speed going into the splash down, but with how intricate they seemed to have planned the "splash down," I'm sure there are plenty of ways to program it to their liking, regardless of the speed of the train.

But if the splashdown is going to be a visual effect more than an actual splashdown, I still don't know why it is necessary to control the speed.

With Manta it's all about balance since only one side of the train is dipping in the water. With rides like Griffon, Sheikra and Diamondback it's not quite as important to control the speed because both sides are receiving the same amount of negative force from the water, because they enter the splashdown flat and there are skimmers on both sides of the train.

Also, their is a ton of force from the train sending that much water into the air, and if you carefully notice, Griffon and Sheikra both slow down a bit as a result of going through the splashdown, since the force is powerful enough to slightly slow down something as massive as a Dive machine car. If Manta were going to fast through it's splashdown, it would slowdown one side of the wheels and not the other, resulting in the framework of the trains to go under stress, and require more maintenance. Controlling the speed means making sure the train has only the amount of stress from the splash that B&M designed the trains to handle.

^

I think that what he is trying to say is that the MCBR is there in order to slow the train just a little bit, so that the train doesn't actually have to go into the water and still make the splash effect look realistic

I personally think that the MCBR is there for several reasons:

1. Safety issues: the final brakes doesn't seem to me long enough to stop safely a train with the momentum it would have if there wasn't a MCBR

2. The MCBR would slow the train to make the splash effect look better, just think about it: the train goes too fast trough that part, the splash effect has to be fast, and you don't enjoy it that much

3. The waterfall: if they want you to be able to enjoy the view of a waterfall, it has to be slow.

But that's just me

^^Even if it does "whoosh" through, the splash caused by the train (if the train indeed scrapes the water) wouldn't be ungodly bigger than if it crawled through. The splash isn't dependent on how fast something moves through the water, it's dependent on how much surface area disturbs the surface and its speed. You can splash water by punching it, but not by moving your submerged arm in a circle.

In the same sense, Manta would make a splash as it enters the water (but still not a huge one because of the gradual entry and the train's "slicing" through). After the surface is broken, though, it won't create much (if any) more actual splash--more like a bunch of waves.

I'm no qualified physicist (so please correct me if I'm wrong), but I just don't think the train's speed would be great enough to produce a splash so big as to warrant an entire MCBR. I think they're just hoping for amazing operations.

2. The MCBR would slow the train to make the splash effect look better, just think about it: the train goes too fast trough that part, the splash effect has to be fast, and you don't enjoy it that much

Well personally i think the true purpose of the splash effect is really just a crowd pleaser and is meant to catch people's attention and get them in line or exited for the ride, not really much to be enjoyed while on the ride itself. At least with the two Busch Divers it is, because you really can't see the jets anywhere while riding because the restraints prevent you. But I guess with Manta you will be able to see it biased on the preview pictures, but nobody really knows as of now. It might just be one little fin at the back of the train and not on each of the left wing tips.

But really, i think the true relationship between the MCBR and the splashdown is really just cause and effect if you think about it:

No MCBR= Faster speed in splashdown = Stronger unbalanced forces on the train= more stress on the train structure and joints = more down time = less ride time

Well personally i think the true purpose of the splash effect is really just a crowd pleaser and is meant to catch people's attention and get them in line or exited for the ride, not really much to be enjoyed while on the ride itself. At least with the two Busch Divers it is, because you really can't see the jets anywhere while riding because the restraints prevent you. But I guess with Manta you will be able to see it biased on the preview pictures, but nobody really knows as of now. It might just be one little fin at the back of the train and not on each of the left wing tips.

But really, i think the true relationship between the MCBR and the splashdown is really just cause and effect if you think about it:

No MCBR= Faster speed in splashdown = Stronger unbalanced forces on the train= more stress on the train structure and joints = more down time = less ride time

I guess I understand what you are saying, but I think with some other type of element and a trim break would of been enough to control the speed

Well yeah, i agree with you too. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather see a helix of some sort with an air hill rather than a giant MCBR, but really I'm just trying to tell everyone why it's important to control the speed through the splash down.

I don't think that's going to be it, because I don't think that the train is even going to touch the water.

The train will already have to crawl into the station (or at least it seems so), so I find it would be stupid to slow it even MORE by making it touch the water.

Plus I don't think the trains would stand any amount of unbalanced forces at all, and B&M would not risk their reliability crown like that (hope so)

Edit: yay page 100!!

I don't know if anyone else notice but the wallpaper on the wall blocking the construction area at the front of the park has changed.

Remember when it changed from "Summer 2009" to "Spring 2009?" Well I noticed today that it has reverted back to "Summer 2009."

Hoping it is just a old wallpaper change and not an actual opening date change.

People, it's going to SKIM the water, not dive into it.

skim =/= big wave

it's not going to slow it down that much

shekra and griffion dose not skip. it make waves

seriously not to be a troll and all but read the ride descripton

I wouldn't worry about the coaster, however,,B&M know what their doing >.>