TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Its nice to see track work pick up once again. They should be finish with the track work in a matter of days now, unless they decide to stop putting up track for a week again.

I'm getting more excited about this ride as it nears it completion. I'm actually now looking forward to the artificial "ocean" as well as all the landscaping and finishing the aquarium. It will be nice to see how it all comes together.

Forgive me for not knowing a better term but ... Is it me or are the spacings between the plates that attach the rails to the center beam far apart on the MCBR? I must just be crazy but they seem father apart then the ones on Tatsu's break run. I know it's structurally sound and all. But i feel like I may be going crazy. haha

I assume you're talking about the cross-ties. They may be a bit further apart there, just because it's a straight section of track. All they really have to worry about it minor shifts in weight, not really g-force, so those sections (Including the brake run and station) have less ties. At least I assume that's the reason.

Went to Sea World today and got there right around 11:30 when they were installing the last piece of track.

Manta definitely is taller than it looks in pictures, and the interaction with the non-riding public is going to be great. The location right in the front of the park is awesome, and that wing-dip is gonna make a nice first impression when entering the park.

^There is only one splashdown in this layout. The splashdown itself is a controlled effect, rather than a ride/environment generated effect as seen in Sheikra's splashdown. From the way it was described to us in the construction tour, the effect will be simulated to the specifications of the engineers and creative team, with all aspects of the "splash" controlled completely.

So it's just going to be water jets or something?

From the concept drawings it appears as if one end of the train will dip its wing into the water as it flies by, but I'm interested to see how exactly it's going to do that and not get riders wet and keep the train on balance.

The whole idea of the wing dip has a ton of flaws, and i could definitely see them pitching it like Maverick's Heart line roll if it has too many issues, but if it works it's going to be really awesome. I guess we'll have to see what happens. it'll be be interesting.

^^The method hasn't been revealed yet, but I assume that whatever the means, the effect will be convincing enough to make people think that it is a result of the wing dipping into the water. From the description given, the illusion will be virtually seemless--the team working on Manta created multiple mockups and test systems just to make this effect work, so I have faith that it will be pretty fantastic to see.

^While the wing will dip in the water, it will not physically cause the water to spray the guests--that will be a controlled effect. We were told this by the director of the project, but I have been wrong before.

If you give me a few minutes I will pull up the exact audio of what Brian said regarding the splashdown, specifically concerning how it was controlled.

As far as I understand, the director was mentioning multiple things that were at times contradictory or strangely worded.

I assume you met with him on the day that people were taking video interviews?

He was never quite clear on the water splashdown effect. The entire interview is posted online, and I've spoken to a couple of people that were also there with you.

I'm not saying you're wrong or right, simply that the information given to you on that day should be taken with a grain of salt because of the odd way Brian was wording things.

^I do know what you are saying, and looking back on it, the description does leave room for interpretation.

Here is what Brian had to say in regards to my question, "Is the system used for the splashdown similar to the one used on Sheikra or is it completely new?"

His response was: "It is completely new and we can control everything from the speed, the duration; we can control everything about the splash. Every single aspect. Every six inches of it."

Again, this does leave room for interpretation, but from the way he described it, the effect is controlled to a point where I would doubt the train's motion alone could be changed to alter the effect in any way.