TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

It's a little strange that they have not constructed the splash zone yet, because it's the really new element of this coaster (never seen before). In Diamondblack the splash was one of the first zones in be constructing...

but in diamondback the track sits in the lake essentially, while here it goes over it.

Short or not, this thing still looks awesome.

I tend to agree with the person who posted about the theming, and how it's almost more intriguing than the layout. The layout to me, while unique and possibly intense, has been kinda a disappointment. However, the theming sure looks to make up for those relatively small shortcomings.

Either way, I'll be down there next weekend and can't wait to check it out in person!

Well, I might have gotten it wrong...

I really thought Manta would be much longer than it appears on the above pictures. Drop+Pretzel+2curves+that's_it!

Comparing to Kraken or Kumba or Montu I really don't see it as a revolutionary ride. Hopefully, after riding it, I will change my mind.

Cheers,

Gus.

PS - How longer is Tatsu compared to Manta?

I really thought Manta would be much longer than it appears on the above pictures. Drop+Pretzel+2curves+that's_it!

Comparing to Kraken or Kumba or Montu I really don't see it as a revolutionary ride. Hopefully, after riding it, I will change my mind

Again it will be about the theming and the effects. Think about that second half of SheiKra, the water splash MAKES that section.

And yeah, looking at that picture above, if you figure the length the lift, mid course, brake run, and station track, that makes up I'm guessing about 450 - 500 feet of the ride. So sometimes track lengths in stats can be deceiving.

--Robb

Personally, I think the first drop will be one of the most fun elements--flying over guests will definitely take the flying coaster sensation to the next level. Take that Superman!

Except that Superman at SFGAm dives right over the queue. In fact, it interacts with the queue for a good portion of it's course. So take that Manta!

This looks really good. I never was able to find any pictures of the full layout, so it's nice seeing the almost completed ride. At first I didn't realize that the ride will have more after that midcourse brake run. I like how after the pretzel loop the ride goes right back through the pretzel loops instead of going around it like superman. I've been on a decent amount of flying coasters and I've never been a big fan of any of them besides Tatsu. I've never been disappointed by a seaworld coaster before, so I'm sure this will be a lot of fun.

I wasn't planning on going to orlando this year, but now it's a possibility. Maybe I'll wait a few years until disney adds something new.

I agree with Robb and a few of the others here. The ride itself looks fun and intense in parts, but very short. The theming will make or break this ride. I'm really hoping it makes the ride, because that would just be a disappointment if this thing ends up sucking. However, I will say the first half looks absolutely crazy.

Looks amazing. I can't wait to try out that flat spin.

If the theming is done well this is going to be one heck of a ride. I have no real gripe about the length, I'd rather have a shorter ride that packs a punch throughout its short layout then have a slightly longer ride just to have it be longer. The dive machines are fantastic, BTR is fantastic and all are rather short, hopefully this ride follows suit.

Here's a short little update for today (12/4)

DSCF1221.jpg.c62a4590526214e5a9099be1ad9effee.jpg

Here's a closer look at the wing dip support. Thanks for reading, everybody.

DSCF1220.jpg.8758dcc2f0541a7f76b5b43468954ea5.jpg

These supports make no sense to me. That tall one in the foreground is right before that really short one on the right that you can barely see. That's for the wing dip.

DSCF1217.jpg.157a8e6bf80fe97f81725ca8c38aaddc.jpg

It's like a station drive-by.

DSCF1213.jpg.3623b24037d559893f092425cdaf506c.jpg

This guy was sanding down the transitions.

DSCF1215.jpg.df7fd79dbb0c295818e3e0dd6d449664.jpg

Mystery yellow tarps.

DSCF1214.jpg.3408d607c24d38e32edfb1e2c4cb8bc3.jpg

See?

DSCF1212.jpg.2c054eb840b72f9683051931b0327494.jpg

They're doing lots of work on the station.

DSCF1208.jpg.5d553db32a1de851f87340aaa893e147.jpg

You may not be able to see, but there's 2 sets of brakes on the mcbr, and it's clearly longer than a train judging by the size of the maintenance shed at the bottom. Anyone know why?

DSCF1207.jpg.bdc1c48c306805a88676a7e6e3b053e0.jpg

It's going to be crawling through here.

DSCF1204.jpg.047a8a9c313cdfb5dbc8d2ba72ef809e.jpg

As you can see without me telling you, it's super low to the ground.

DSCF1201.jpg.b4b6adf534e977a3a4bf107fb3dd6647.jpg

They were still building the support for the track piece they put on. Now, I'm no engineer, but that doesn't seem smart to me.

DSCF1200.jpg.3aae6a93f62febc4b6200e1b905de3ad.jpg

This is the end of the flat spin and the start of the last turn.

DSCF1199.jpg.95d09831bdbc209b8d9732971dde6aa8.jpg

This ride is called Manta Roller Coaster.

Thanks for the new images. It looks like they will have it done in a few days now.

You may not be able to see, but there's 2 sets of brakes on the mcbr, and it's clearly longer than a train judging by the size of the maintenance shed at the bottom. Anyone know why?

Well the train enter the MCBR with some speed so the MCBR must be longer then the train to be able to safely stop the train without any chance of overshooting the MCBR, especially since a flyer have more "complex" seating so you have space to fold down the seats and safely evacuate the train.

Thanks for the image update! They sure are getting Manta done fast, of course excluding foliage, buildings, groundwork, and themeing, the trackwork should be done pretty soon. It's kind of weird to think that Manta's trackwork may be completed before Rip Ride Rockit's track has even gone vertical.

-Justin