TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Manta is being constructed in the area with all the pathways you referred to. The lift hill runs toward Whale & Dolphin Theater, crossing over the entrance to the theater and curving back in to the construction site as it drops. There is NO dark ride portion to the coaster, however there will be 10 aquariums in the exhibit totaling 184,000 gallons and featuring 3000 fish, rays and sea dragons. The rides queue will go through the exhibit with the non-riders passing through on the opposite side....so everyone will be able to have the same experience. They really haven't been doing any major, major work on Sundays, but they should resume tomorrow and hopefully begin the next element, which is the Pretzel Loop. There will be an exterior lagoon constructed as well that will play a roll in the ride's finale.

Thanks delirium_guy. It is sure a very odd location for the coaster, well I guess it is a large area, and you can't really tell much from a cartoonish map.

I would be interested to see a picture from years ago of that exact location, of what it looked like before now. It would be interesting, because what exactly occupied that land, a bunch of pathways and shops?

-Tim

seaworld_manta_area.JPG.f8f1d9625a1da5f421d15e9e52c7301c.JPG

Is this the area where Manta is being built?

Thanks delirium_guy. It is sure a very odd location for the coaster, well I guess it is a large area, and you can't really tell much from a cartoonish map.

I would be interested to see a picture from years ago of that exact location, of what it looked like before now. It would be interesting, because what exactly occupied that land, a bunch of pathways and shops?

-Tim

The area is actually quite larger than it appears on the cartoonish map you have. Years ago, there use to be an aquarium on that location but it closed sometime ago. The main attraction on that location before the construction was the flamingo habitat right when you walk in the park. A good portion of it was a lot of calm, relaxing, nature like trails with ponds here and there for the birds. It was quite peaceful and I enjoyed it.

I posted another picture of the park map, but this time, a wider view so you can get a feel of the area it is located and its relative size.

IMG_2743.JPG.7a269c596c476e4b92f7b0a55078efc2.JPG

Wider view of SeaWorld's guide map.

-Tim

sort of...The lift hill goes towards the dolphin stadium but not that small area...the ride itself will be more towards the right of the pic

The area is actually quite larger than it appears on the cartoonish map you have. Years ago, there use to be an aquarium on that location but it closed sometime ago. The main attraction on that location before the construction was the flamingo habitat right when you walk in the park. A good portion of it was a lot of calm, relaxing, nature like trails with ponds here and there for the birds. It was quite peaceful and I enjoyed it.

I posted another picture of the park map, but this time, a wider view so you can get a feel of the area it is located and its relative size.

Yeah Thanks, this really shows the size of that piece of land, compared to my cartoon map. Anybody have old park maps to show the flamingo habitat.

I am sure perhaps when Manta is complete, they may add some small ponds, and trails around the coaster to complete the landscaping, and bring it's beauty back. Should be interesting.

Tim

It is most certainly larger than it appears on the map Just scroll through a few pages back in this thread. There have been pictures of the area posted that were taken from Sky Tower, those will give you a better idea of the size of the area as well as the ride placement within the Park.....and the ride will pretty much touch every corner of the area. There is a horseshoe type element in the far corner by the Friends of the Wild Gift Shop and Mama's Kitchen.....then the finale comes almost all the way out to where the construction wall near the front gate plaza is located.

I've seen the pictures in this entire thread, thanks. I first thought when I got that cartoon map on the official SeaWorld website, that they were building it where the lake is, and removed all that water or something, but now that I have seen the guide map, I can see clearly the large land as seen in the photos posted.

-Tim

Man, why can't SeaWorld San Diego get these cool coasters?!?

Look who's running it . Sorry went off on a sick bout of humor there. Manta is shaping up very nicely. The layout being secretive aside from a select few people is a nice change rather than show off a huge press release so everyone can see whats gonna be happening. Seeing this bad-boy go up piece by piece adds more tension to the mix and there for you never know until the end what its gonna be like or do.

If the buyout ever gets completed.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing- ... topstories

InBev struggles to hold Bud deal together

Last updated at 8:04 AM on 4th November 2008

Stella Artois owner InBev may be struggling to hold its £32.8bn Anheuser-Busch takeover together - but it has already started a £4bn auction of bits of the American brewer that it doesn't want.

Hard to swallow: InBev is struggling to close the Anheuser- Busch deal

Chief among assets under the hammer is Orlando's Sea-World and eight other theme parks still owned by AB and said to be worth £1.7bn.

Cash-strapped InBev has received approaches from opportunist would-be buyers only too aware the short-term funding problems faced by the the drinks giant following the collapse of its £5.5bn rights issue last month.

If the deal to create the world's largest brewer completes as planned in eight weeks, then InBev will be saddled with £32.5bn of debts.

A source said this is why it is focused on selling assets even before it owns some of them.

The theme parks are part of AB's portfolio, but InBev wants to line up a buyer ready for a quick sale.

It is also ready to sell a raft of central European beer brands including Staropramen, as well as a tin can making business and its South Korean brewing arm.

'It has had interest for the theme park business, and the packaging operations, and might announce something before the close of the deal,' said the source.

The AB entertainment division includes three SeaWorld parks, Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay and Orlando's Aquatica.

Analysts say Blackstone, which owns a stake in Thorpe Park owner Merlin, would be an obvious would-be buyer, along with Disney, and stateowned Dubai World.

A spokesman for InBev confirmed the company is contemplating disposals of certain assets but could not comment at this stage.

Alex Oldroyd, an analyst at Morgan Stanley, said some sales would give InBev breathing space on its debts.

'Some early disposals would calm the market and bring down the risk,' he said.

Edited by larrygator

I do not want to spam the topic or anything like that so I am not sure if we can talk about the buyout here.

I will post this anyway and if its wrong please remove it.

Disney would buy the parks for one reason, and that is to stop Merlin. Disney would probably not even change the parks but as I said if they buy them it stops someone else getting in to the Orlando market.

I might be talking rubbish but thats the only logic I can see. They have Disney World why want a park out of this area.

I don't think Disney have the money though, might be wrong. I also don't think Disney will buy the parks they simply do not need them or the extra expense.

Well, they began work on the Pretzel Loop today. When I was leaving, there were two more pieces that they were preparing to lift....which would top off the first part of the Pretzel Loop pretty much. They are definitely picking up speed, including the exhibit area. Day by day, its continuing to grow further and further out.

I do not want to spam the topic or anything like that so I am not sure if we can talk about the buyout here.

I will post this anyway and if its wrong please remove it.

Disney would buy the parks for one reason, and that is to stop Merlin. Disney would probably not even change the parks but as I said if they buy them it stops someone else getting in to the Orlando market.

I might be talking rubbish but thats the only logic I can see. They have Disney World why want a park out of this area.

I don't think Disney have the money though, might be wrong. I also don't think Disney will buy the parks they simply do not need them or the extra expense.

Disney has enough money to buy out several theme parks worldwide. Hell, they could probably buy out the Six Flags and Busch Gardens chain entirely with just enough money left.

The only one I can really see buying Sea World Orlando should something happen is either Cedar Fair or a European based company like Merlin. Personnally I think it would be cool to have a European based company own a theme park out here in the states. And as Six Flags isnt in the best position to acquire a new theme park (unless they are not as far in debt as I though), so Cedar Fair would probably buy Sea World Orlando. It would be a first for them and they would have a park in Florida.

That aside. Manta looks great! Defiantely going to be a good addition for SeaWorld