TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I can't wait for Johnny's update to see if it's true.

This is true information, it appears as though this is the tallest support, although there could be one more....this one is in very close proximity to Gulliver's gift shop. There are still supports to go up over the midway and over into the Whale & Dolphin theater entry. Just with one support up, its already changed the dynamic in the park. This ride is definitely going to be incredibly impactful with its placement. The lift is gonna be steep too...

* Here are a few pics

Station area

View from Bayside / Wild Arctic area

Highest Lift Support in place

Block work progressing on the entry way and aquarium

This is from the Smoky Creek BBQ area

- Todd

Wow, with the support by itself, it just makes it seems really taller than it really is because there is nothing at that height in the immediate area around it.

This is great, with the supports going up, the lift should be going up soon as well and we will finally know if the lift would be a normal lift or a steeper one compare to other flyers.

Wow, with the support by itself, it just makes it seems really taller than it really is because there is nothing at that height in the immediate area around it.

This is great, with the supports going up, the lift should be going up soon as well and we will finally know if the lift would be a normal lift or a steeper one compare to other flyers.

LOL I thought the same, it looks higher..

I hope people don't confuse Kraken and Manta...since the colors almost look alike.

Thanks for the pics delirium

Had to go a day early this week as I have some things to attend to tomorrow so here is a Saturday Update...

Update 10-18-08

Lift hill supports have gone up this week and looks like they will set track this coming week. Tons of station work getting done with actuators getting installed. About another 15 pieces of track have been delivered. More work on the main tank area and more work on the brake and storage area. It appears that the lift maybe the steeper veriaty that B&M seem to be going with lately. It looks much steeper then a standard lift. But we should know more next week as the lift should go up. All the pieces are there in the work area.

Check out all 20 photos from today here

www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

Couple from today.

2.jpg.878e9c478c7f4b46ef30d2fcc6e42063.jpg

1.jpg.72c34c5823095bfb6371bad099c31e18.jpg

Wow, that's going to be a steep lift hill for a Flyer. Looks to be about 45 degrees like the Dive machines and newer hypers. Thanks for the pics, Johnny.

Track installation has began.....I just took these after I got off work this afternoon...

- Todd

the lift hill looks steep..but is it? couldd it just be that it's just started to be put up? i dunno!

LOL

It IS steep. I wasn't able to take a picture today, but I did have to stop by the park for a few minutes today. The lift is about 75% completed at this point. Just a few more pieces of track until it reaches the highest support thats already been put into place. I'm going to try to swing by tomorrow and take a few pictures.

- Todd

I'm going to Sea World this Saturday.

I'll try and get as many pictures as I can of the construction.

If anybody from TPR is going to be there, let me know if you want to hang out.

I will be wearing dark green cargo pants and a Rock 'n' Roller Coaster shirt. I'm probably going to be hanging around Kraken most of the day.

I had a blast at Sea World today. I may or may not post a trip report tomorrow, if I do I will post even more Manta pics and link to the TR here.

Click the little pictures, each one is mega high res.

Look at these first two pictures. Very steep lift, and just like Diamondback, it really looks like there is no way that track could possibly be at the right angle to come even close to the top support. It may look like just the angle the picture was taken at, but when I saw it in person today, no matter where you stand it looks like that.

Obviously it will clear the supports just fine, they know what they are doing, but it's such a weird illusion.

I wonder how tall it will look when it's topped off. It's only 10 feet shorter than Kraken, a distance that should hardly be noticeable from the ground. But it looks really really short. The 45 degree lift really messes with your sense of perspective.

Manta from the side:

From the front of the park:

The lift hill from the sky tower.

The construction area from the top of the sky tower.

Another angle to show the bizarre steep lift that seems like it won't clear the tallest support.

And Manta's lift hill from Kraken!

Today I met a girl who's home park is Alton Towers, and a guy in his 30's from the Florida Coaster Club. Both were really cool people. I also heard a guy on the bus (this was a school trip) telling people that Cedar Point has 30 coasters, and that Hydra is a clone of Medusa.

Stopped out at the park for another set of photos for my ongoing construction documentation..

Construction Update October 26th, 2008!

The lift hill is about 3/4 complete this week. The station is starting to take shape and a roof has been installed on top of the maintenance building. Lots more work on the tank area and looks like they are getting the ground leveled around all the footers. The rest of the lift hill should go up this week.

Check out all 20 photos from today here.

www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

Couple of photos from today..

2.jpg.7542ac2f278170ab11b76d48aff524b9.jpg

1.jpg.9be023548b4a0f57d0175020ab8966b4.jpg

Very steep lift, and just like Diamondback, it really looks like there is no way that track could possibly be at the right angle to come even close to the top support. It may look like just the angle the picture was taken at, but when I saw it in person today, no matter where you stand it looks like that.

Obviously it will clear the supports just fine, they know what they are doing, but it's such a weird illusion.

It's not an illusion at all. That's just the support where the track curves toward it's first drop. That will be the coasters highest point.

Grabbed two pics today on my way to lunch, I'm off tomorrow and may swing through the Park with my camera. The path between Coconut Bay Traders and JTA is currently closed. All guests are being routed past Stingray Lagoon, Dolphin Cove and behind Blue Horizons in order to get to JTA and Kraken area. This path will be closed while the remaining overhead construction takes place in that area, should re-open by next week sometime. The ride has really taken over the entire area, with supports going back all the way against the Coconut Bay Traders gift shop. Anyway, here are a few pics

- Todd