TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I've been searching left and right through patent, trademark, building and construction permit sites like crazy trying to uncover something. No luck.

Of course, I've never tried before so most likely I'm looking in the totally wrong places.

what exactly are you searching for?

I'm actually hoping they don't release the layout of the coaster. I think it would be more interesting to try and guess as construction goes along.

I 100% COMPLETELY agree! I'm actually kind of tired of knowing everything about a coaster before it's built. I mean, we know the basics about this one:

a) It's a B&M flyer.

b) It's being built at SWORLANDO.

c) As a B&M flyer, there's only three other layouts it's "competing" with.

d) Again, it's in Orlando.....it can't possibly completely suck.

^^

I think everyone wants a layout just because it hasn't gone vertical and no real interesting construction to watch!

Thank you!

I'm so ready to ride this next year, I love B&Ms and I've never been on a Flyer before. I'm sure that this one is going to be unique like Tatsu, and I just want to see something!

Someone please get us an update!!!

The tracks are finally on their way (possibly some already at the construction site). Construction should start to get very interesting soon.

I'll have to admit, I'm excited to see how the construction moves forward the next few months. I cannot wait until vertical construction and eventually opening day.

Some questions that people have had over the last few pages. I got some answers from Sea World.. The layout will not be released until much later on in the process so maybe first of the year.. No mantas will be in any of the tanks as in the real mantas that some have talked about..

There is some track as in the ones in the photo on previous page at the park.. I was told that there are some supports and other transfer track either at the park or close by.. My guess is they needed the transfer track and station track so that they can be installed inside the building as the building goes up... So there will be a small amount of track and structure that may go up soon but then it will be a while for the real work to start.. I was told that most of the track is finished or getting finished and all track and supports should be in Orlando with in the next 4 weeks or so..

Stay tuned for some other cool things that the park is doing in the coming week pertaining to some websites and ........ well just have to wait and see...

Anyway I was out at the park on the 7th. But the sky tower was closed so I only got some photos from around the construction areas.. http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

Will be at the park again soon.. I may run up there this weekend and snoop around and see if I can find the track and supports that are allready on site or close by...

Here is a quote from the press release, never once did they mention "manta rays" but this is what they said:

Floor-to-ceiling windows create mesmerizing face-to-fin encounters with 300 rays, as well as thousands of fish and mysterious creatures native to oceans all over the world. Shark rays, spotted eagles rays, leopard rays, cownose rays, and oscillate river rays float past guests with fluidity and grace in a view new to SeaWorld.

One reason why it is rare to find them in captivity is because of their size. To give you an idea, the Georgia Aquarium one manta ray resides in a 6.2 million-gallon tank while Shamu Stadium which houses more than one whale is an 7-million gallon tank. The entire construction area plus more would have to be an Shamu Stadium size tank if they wanted a manta ray.

EDIT:

The rumors of Manta's tracks and supports at a SeaWorld off property warehouse is true. I just drove past it not too long ago and I saw some supports for Manta. I would describe the shade of blue I saw as a sky/baby blue color. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but after this weekend, I have a feeling others sources will have them.

Screamscape Writes

I’ve also got an update about Manta’s layout. From what our sources tell us, the part about the lift hill heading towards Blue Horizons is right, but the first drop will actually turn around to the right and head right for the Pretzel Loop, where the bottom appears as if it may be set down in a small trench. From here it will make a very tight left turn and head into that overbanked Horseshoe Turn I have previously mentioned. From here it will make a run past the station, through the zero-g-roll before turning slightly to the right and into the mid-course brake. What follows is pretty much what you see in the artwork, a dive into the water for the splashdown turn followed by a flat-spin. Exiting this last inversion the train will bring the riders down low… very close to the water’s surface before it hits the brake run. I’ve also been told that we can expect to see a dual sided loading station on this one.
Anyone care to try and guess mantas layout in a drawing?

Here is something that Lance at Screamscape and I were discussing about 3 weeks ago on a possible layout. http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta/manta.jpg

It was just an idea I was working on pertaining to how the footers are layed out on the ground..

In the next week I will be out at the park again and if skytower is operating I will redo the drawing to be a little better.. Also some of you may have seen the upcoming photo contest.. My site has also been choosen by Sea World to take part in the drawing.. http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/mantax.html

Anybody interested in the Manta logo, I asked Sea World for it and here it is in high resolution. http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta/mantalogo.jpg

More soon..

When I heard this a few friends and I who used to work for SWO where taking bets on where they planned to shoe-horn this one into! Imagine my surprise and laughter when we found it. Needless to say the only thing in our collective thoughts at seeing these pictures where "Wow, that's gotta be playing hellish with the Plaza!"

Big update this week.. We have vertical construction, with station parts and the first support going up. Tons of work getting done on the building area and the station house.. Lots of new footers going in and tons of other work happening.. Also gots some photos of the station track, beams and other various coaster parts that are OFF site..

Here is the station area and make sure to check out all 20 of this weeks photos here http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

tpr.jpg.f59bd00032cb7f0c5e647efeae85814c.jpg