TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

^Tatsu's pretzel loop is incredibly intense. I remember that I also almost blacked out the first time I rode it. Now, I exhale as I am going through because it is impossible to breath while going through the pretzel loop. Tatsu is such an awesome flying coaster!

hooray for no boring pretzel loop.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard the pretzel loop refered to as "boring." Heck, even many of the B&M flyer haters I've spoken to usually admit that's the saving grace of the ride. Interesting. Not wrong, but interesting.

agreed. the worst thing about the BM pretzel is the amount of pressure at the bottom, it makes my lungs feel like they are collapsing. its a bit too much pressure for that snippet of time. Ive only ridden S:UF at SFGADV , so i cant imagine how intense Tatsu must be.

The element is fun, dont get me wrong, but to see something new from BM like a few more twists and turns between elements is awesome. The Pretzel loop is the pinnacle of the ride like on the S:UF clones - after it , the ride tames and lames out. I hope this layout is legit. It appears to have an unusal flow to keep things more interesting.

Wow - very nice!!!! The official annoucement. I cannot wait to see the track go up. I will be watching intently on the construction updates!

As far as the pretzle loop, I have only been on Superman's Ultimate Flight at SFGA. My sister taught me a trick to not falling back in the seat. Think Americas Next Top Model, and put the small of your back into the seat, then make your shoulders meet the bar. It makes for a much comfortable pretzle loop trip. I also exhale while going down. We actually would do the Superman pose for the camera when it used to be on the bottom of the loop. It took me a few times to get it.... I couldnt imagine Tatsu's! Its like double Superman! Maybe Manta will be in between? With a 52" height restriction... who knows.

Tatsu = 124' pretzle loop

Superman = 78' pretzle loop

Keep in mind that size of elements does not equal intensity. Just compare Hulk's cobra roll to Kumba...

The amount of force in an element is inversely proportional to the radius of curvature in that element. Therefore, a larger pullout in a pretzel could mean a lower g-force than a pretzel half it's size. However, that being said, in the case of Tatsu and Superman - I think Tatsu is more intense.

So, while the size has some to do with how intense a ride may be, you can't just judge it based on that.

Another thing I noticed is that the first drop on Manta will actually be larger than Tatsu's first drop (114' vs 111').

I seem to recall that the article says somewhere that at the beginning of the ride, riders will have the opportunity to observe the rays from underwater? Is that correct? And if so, are they going to accomplish this with one giant translucent tunnel? Anyone have any thoughts?

So, while the size has some to do with how intense a ride may be, you can't just judge it based on that.

So true. So true.

Oh wait, we're still talking about roller coasters. My bad.

haha, I was waiting for a "that's what she said..." or something along those lines.

Every time I look at it, it seems like Superman Escape (movie world Australia) in the way they built it. I'm thinking that the beginning will be a dark ride or "fly-through" of all the surrounding aquariums, followed by the real coaster segment. If I'm right, I am definitely going to have to try to get to SeaWorld when its open.

Keep in mind that size of elements does not equal intensity. Just compare Hulk's cobra roll to kumba.
Yah both of them are very intense, just to me I think's Hulk's cobra roll is very rough and a bit more intense.

ADMIN EDIT: Please use capitalization and proper grammar. Make Jersey proud! Gracias!

Tatsu East!

This looks like it will be a great addition, and I would expect that the end result will be closer to Tatsu than Air or any of the S:UF clones. 140 feet high and 4 inversions sounds to be more towards the intense side of things.

It would be cool if the YouTube video turned out to be the actual layout. I'm guessing something along the lines of drop/Pretzel Loop/Zero G and then into the MCBR, and then some curves around the water/through the caves and waterfall and a corkscrew/flatspin and an inline twist with the "splash" effect mixed in there somewhere. Of course, they might add new inversions not yet seen on a flyer, like an Immelman/Dive Loop.

A few interesting comments I found about the ride in this article:

"You say, 'Hey, you're putting as much emphasis on the animals as on the ride, absolutely. That's who we are. This is uniquely SeaWorld. We don't want to just put in a ride," said Joseph Couceiro, chief marketing officer for SeaWorld's parent company, Busch Entertainment Corporation.

The coaster vehicles were designed to give riders the sensation of gliding, swooping and diving up to 56 mph, through four inversions on 3,359 feet of track, moving from sky to water -- so close at times that the Manta's wings skim the waves. The tip of the ride vehicle actually will splash into the water.

Ride designer and manufacturer, Bolliger & Mabillard, of Switzerland, is the same company that designed and built Kraken at SeaWorld and SheiKra at Busch Gardens. Manta will share the smoothness those coasters are known for, Couceiro said.

"It will be extremely smooth," he said. But then he added, "It's meant to appeal to a lot of folks, but it is not a tame ride."

If I ever am able to take another vacation where I can leave the state for more than a few days, I really need to pay a visit to Orlando.....