TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Very interesting addition. I am always happy to see B&M expand their portfolio and innovate a little and produce something unique, so that is cool. The trains also looks *very* open. Like... more open than any other train I've seen. There are absolutely no sides whatsoever and you're essentially just "standing" on a platform. Very cool. Hopefully it's comfortable. My biggest problem with old stand-ups is the 4-across seating is just terrible for heartlining while standing up - those edge seats are always bad. So having it 2-across and a little "suspension" on the seat will be a good improvement.

I am interested to see how the height adjustment works on top of the "bounciness." People already don't ride stand-up coasters properly, most just sit on the bicycle seat, so hopefully 24 years of innovation on the design will pay off.

I think the biggest downfall with the addition is the height restriction. Yet another "adult" coaster. Cool for us but not cool for families. Hopefully their next addition is a proper low-restriction coaster or ride.

• Like 1

I realize there's probably a pop of air-time here but...

9 hours ago, A.J. said:

image.thumb.png.8f5bcc01eab4aa305025614f5f310707.png

"Hey, we're trying to relaunch one of our least popular ride types that a lot of people found uncomfortable, how should we market this?"

"Use a picture that makes you look like you have to ride on tiptoes."

• Like 1

a surfing position?  nobody in the sea world organization has ever watched someone surf? and left it up to a company in the mtns of Switzerland who only knows skiing?  there were probably 100 people who could have explained its like snowboarding position.....you stand SIDEWAYS. missed opportunity, could have back to back seats and choose your side...reg or goofy footed......oh wait almost forgot, another state that is anti choice.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Very interesting addition. I am always happy to see B&M expand their portfolio and innovate a little and produce something unique, so that is cool. The trains also looks *very* open. Like... more open than any other train I've seen. There are absolutely no sides whatsoever and you're essentially just "standing" on a platform. Very cool. Hopefully it's comfortable. My biggest problem with old stand-ups is the 4-across seating is just terrible for heartlining while standing up - those edge seats are always bad. So having it 2-across and a little "suspension" on the seat will be a good improvement.

I am interested to see how the height adjustment works on top of the "bounciness." People already don't ride stand-up coasters properly, most just sit on the bicycle seat, so hopefully 24 years of innovation on the design will pay off.

I think the biggest downfall with the addition is the height restriction. Yet another "adult" coaster. Cool for us but not cool for families. Hopefully their next addition is a proper low-restriction coaster or ride.

My biggest issue with the older models was that the larger ones (Chang, Mantis, Riddler to some extent) were just really uncomfortable from the forces in the standing position, but the smaller ones (Scorcher, Iron Wolf and Vortex before they got older and rough) were mostly fine, Schorcher probably being my favorite. This one seems to be somewhere in the middle, similar speed but a lower height, being a B&M I'm sure it will be smooth and relatively forceless, which on a Standup is probably okay.

I feel like everyone is overthinking the "bouncy" aspect a little too much, whatever kind of pneumatic/hydraulic actuator is in there probably only moves about 3 inches so it's just going to be a subtle little feeling in certain spots in the layout.

I do like the 2 across trains, most B&M's with OTSRs kind of suck in the middle seats but these trains being wide open should have some great visuals in every seat.

11 hours ago, Garet said:

I realize there's probably a pop of air-time here but...

"Hey, we're trying to relaunch one of our least popular ride types that a lot of people found uncomfortable, how should we market this?"

"Use a picture that makes you look like you have to ride on tiptoes."

That seems to be one of the moments the train was designed for.  They aren't on their toes, the seat is lifting them.  From more research, it seems the air time moments are what will be triggering the "bouncy" of the trains.

i also wonder if this would be more fat boy friendly as you're standing and your stomach wouldn't be as much as an issue if you were seated.

6 hours ago, Bamwa said:

a surfing position?  nobody in the sea world organization has ever watched someone surf? and left it up to a company in the mtns of Switzerland who only knows skiing?  there were probably 100 people who could have explained its like snowboarding position.....you stand SIDEWAYS. missed opportunity, could have back to back seats and choose your side...reg or goofy footed......oh wait almost forgot, another state that is anti choice.

This format is weird because I have legitimately no clue if I should read this as a serious post or sarcasm. I hope it's the latter. I'll assume so.

As for the last part you've made your stance on this clear before and I'd bet that many people here including myself agree with you, but you really don't need to inject politics / major issues into a discussion about a new coaster at SeaWorld? The mental gymnastics that people go through these days on the internet to search for a roundabout way to make LITERALLY ANYTHING into a political argument is astounding. Please let's not do this so we have to go through later and clean up the thread from the flame war that's almost guaranteed to ensue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Bamwa said:

Would you like some motion sickness with your Surf Coaster?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

As for the last part you've made your stance on this clear before and I'd bet that many people here including myself agree with you, but you really don't need to inject politics / major issues into a discussion about a new coaster at SeaWorld? The mental gymnastics that people go through these days on the internet to search for a roundabout way to make LITERALLY ANYTHING into a political argument is astounding. Please let's not do this so we have to go through later and clean up the thread from the flame war that's almost guaranteed to ensue.

Since they've had a history of injecting political discussion in their posts, I've just got ahead and removed them.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, jarmor said:

That seems to be one of the moments the train was designed for.  They aren't on their toes, the seat is lifting them.  From more research, it seems the air time moments are what will be triggering the "bouncy" of the trains.

i also wonder if this would be more fat boy friendly as you're standing and your stomach wouldn't be as much as an issue if you were seated.

Yea, I get that, hence why I said I know there's a pop of air-time there, I just meant in the context of a still image as the promotional shot for trying to sell the concept of the new generation of stand-up coasters you could have had a picture that shows them in a more natural position. 

I am a glutton for punishment. I'll try it at least once.  Having ridden three stand-up coasters (Vortex, Scorcher, Green Lantern) and three floorless conversions (Patriot, Rougarou, Firebird) All three conversions were much better than the stand-ups. If Carowinds doesn't scrap Vortex for a new coaster at some point, I would hope they might consider a conversion for it. I speak to non-enthusiast locals who say Vortex is their favorite ride in the park. Masochists.

Maybe this new restraint system and train configuration will wow me. I sent my daughter a link to the Pipeline video and I got the "Y tho" meme back. She rode Scorcher and Vortex and skipped Green Lantern. Fool me twice, won't get fooled again. 

Certainly an interesting choice for a ride. Anyone know the height requirement for it? The other big 3 rides all have a 54" requirement and I know green lantern at great adventure is 54" so was thinking this might be the same.

For a park that I always see as more of a family park it feels like they need something like invadr so kids have something to ride once they age out of the sesame street area but aren't tall enough for the big 3 and possibly now 4.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Certainly an interesting choice for a ride. Anyone know the height requirement for it? The other big 3 rides all have a 54" requirement and I know green lantern at great adventure is 54" so was thinking this might be the same.

For a park that I always see as more of a family park it feels like they need something like invadr so kids have something to ride once they age out of the sesame street area but aren't tall enough for the big 3 and possibly now 4.

I think the website has already stated it's 54 inches.

I feel like the point about height requirements at SeaWorld is one that everyone is making, myself included, but maybe they don't care about having things for people under 54 inches? For now atleast? I mean my youngest hit 54 inches when she was almost 7 years old, maybe they realize that in the Orlando market that if you've got little kids and want rides for little kids you're gonna go to Disney, no matter what SW builds, so why go after that market? And with as many "adult" events as they offer (7 Seas Food Fest, Brews n BBQ, HowlOScreams) maybe they'd rather focus on thrill rides for those guests. 

• Like 1

Last night I had the chance to experience Howl-O-Scream at SeaWorld Orlando... The event is in its second year and builds upon the same formula that has been found at the other SeaWorld and Busch parks for years. This year's lineup features two "new" houses, one reimagined house and two returning, along with seven scare zones and four shows (one of which is an up-charge experience). 

001.thumb.jpeg.afd7ca8816c2475e88516b6fb045218f.jpeg

Having just been to the parks two weeks earlier for the daytime offering of the Halloween Spooktacular, I was amazed to see that the vertical construction on Pipeline: The Surf Coaster had progress to new heights. The coaster's initial 110 foot tall banked turn the comes immediately after the coaster's launch is already nearly complete. At this pace, I'd expect that the coaster's track installation could be completed sometime between late November and early December. 

002.thumb.jpeg.07d6329a68aa600be304f3f20d9a36ad.jpeg

The new turn towers over any other park structures in the area.

003.thumb.jpeg.d3fb66ce09ab9f76925a14c1c1f29168.jpeg

You can also see where the loading station, the train storage and transfer track will be, all running along the berm of the park by the parking lot. 

004.thumb.jpeg.6df91081552fa1db31089215afa39005.jpeg

Time for some Halloween thrills...

005.thumb.jpeg.1ca2b0324acb6191b4c0933cec3d777f.jpeg

Howl-O-Scream's central hub is the education pavilion area normally used for SeaWorld camp, educational programs and field trips. 

006.thumb.jpeg.e70993ed3bb7eb805bbd1c4f9a61db61.jpeg

It wouldn't be a Halloween event without fire and ghoulish dancers.

007.thumb.jpeg.cb03ef600cb8e641819f0573671dcd7b.jpeg

Sliders roam this section of the park, so be on the lookout and don't be surprised if they spark a light upon the path in front of you.

008.thumb.jpeg.d0cd3d0854607efff992b323f909fdec.jpeg

From the main hub you enter the park by Bayside Stadium. "Frozen Terror: Alive in the Ice" is the first scare zone to pass through.

009.thumb.jpeg.ad9511591908187d962390aa58a8cc7c.jpeg

Halloween and chainsaws go hand in hand.

010.thumb.jpeg.b886ddea9ba1ea8cda1a1505a079222d.jpeg

Beneath the Ice: Terror at Base Camp Aura is a returning house from last year. The experience runs through the majority of the former entrance queue and loading station for the Wild Arctic simulator attraction.

011.thumb.jpeg.12b13371236a815e22f6733a47e95e90.jpeg

Pipeline can be seen from multiple angles in the park.

012.thumb.jpeg.2bbff289a270676c6ae60ab2202014c0.jpeg

Here you can see the launch track leading into the first turn.

013.thumb.jpeg.f6810eed017758dd3464d4ce74376b07.jpeg

Over at Flamecraft Bar, this was going on... For some reason.

014.thumb.jpeg.d1f992f356efeca88461f98d0330bca1.jpeg

The Waterfront is home to the Cut Throat Cove scare zone...

015.thumb.jpeg.97c6d0e1c53b7d32911e48e6b10b3792.jpeg

Here there be pirates.

016.thumb.jpeg.3a584c6df6f4c1bdecd06aaccab193d5.jpeg

Lost Souls Hideaway is a new Drag Cabaret show at Howl-O-Scream Orlando. It is a $10 up-charge to experience and reservations are required.

017.thumb.jpeg.8f125cac891a12865827bb26f50facff.jpeg

Manta is among the lineup of park rides that operate during Howl-O-Scream. 

018.thumb.jpeg.74e69bbcd798a53b351bc74e74c1aa4d.jpeg

I couldn't really explain what happens in here if I tried...

019.thumb.jpeg.4080e1f6f885dd073535b18db94a2aab.jpeg

Some of the scare zones have scare actors haunting from above.

020.thumb.jpeg.9d0ab17b6c8e1ec2ae68c1a6f3b72c8f.jpeg

Yes, they sell bug food here. No, I did not try any.

021.thumb.jpeg.5582d8b1facbcc50aecd82d4ff566168.jpeg

Terrors of the Deep is a scare zone by Shark Encounter.

022.thumb.jpeg.904c50261b51d9fe726abb993b39029f.jpeg

Terrors of the Deep was the original name of the Shark Encounter exhibit, so this was a fun nod to that part of the park's history.

023.thumb.jpeg.67b40bc7586a5ed95384f4910282e08c.jpeg

Adult capri-sun pouches...

024.thumb.jpeg.f264f00fc04008a700d7e0d2804392a6.jpeg

If you've seen it at any of the other SeaWorld or Busch parks, you've seen it here.

025.thumb.jpeg.f3e3f1bccf5c2a80c058382521853160.jpeg

There's dancing. And stomping... And Jack does some Ripping.

026.thumb.jpeg.c07c982a2cac8457930858cbf6c35ef9.jpeg

These knife drummers are easily the best part of the show.

027.thumb.jpeg.dc9dbe240c8e9a489028f7452264e753.jpeg

Over in Waterway Grill a temptress sings alluring tunes...

028.thumb.jpeg.2bdef2dcec942f84fa34fd5d36ebdde4.jpeg

All while an aerialist performs acrobats over guests' heads.

029.thumb.jpeg.bc6a9253e82ac93bfa4e88693217092d.jpeg

Captain's Revenge: Drowned in Darkness returns this year to offer more pirate chills. 

030.thumb.jpeg.27a549eaf91abba3a21cba1857bca6c6.jpeg

Let me get one last look at you...

031.thumb.jpeg.f0069677c3bac266d11ae813f765a2a1.jpeg

Artsy...

032.thumb.jpeg.ab83c1c8603b72a8865605c7cff41a7d.jpeg

Sirens' Last Call Bar is easily the event's biggest themed bar space.

033.thumb.jpeg.0fcb69efca4c5e1f7128bf505c16c158.jpeg

They have ghoulish dancers...

034.thumb.jpeg.ba38806b68dfc1bfd66963a11bfc2770.jpeg

And lots of room for people.

035.thumb.jpeg.25be3a7ce46121de84dd76a5a349453e.jpeg

There's a dedicated shop in the main event hub.

036.thumb.jpeg.15b96e6c8d8a5a0a9bd170d14e621bff.jpeg

While a neat concept... 

037.thumb.jpeg.025f7321b2b6a3898a214b2514f731d6.jpeg

Read the fine print before buying.

038.thumb.jpeg.079d1339b0104e55ad1358a70f4f366a.jpeg

And keep an eye out for sliders on your way out of the park!

• Like 7

Nice report Adam, I went last Thursday and the event was absolutely dead. We had a good night, plenty of rides and minimal waits for all of the haunts, but it did feel like it lacked a little bit of energy this year maybe because of how thin the crowd was (and how sober I was). Then again this year with the waterfront area and Manta open there is quite a bit more space, the parking lot was pretty full so maybe there were more people than there than it seemed like there was. Speaking of Manta they were using a temporary entrance near the photo shop, and the exit snaked through a back stage area back over to the path by the Pizza restaurant, which I suspected they would do when I saw some temporary walls there back in September.

Houses were good but a bit hit or miss with how many actors we encountered, that could have been because it was a slow Thursday night. Beneath the Ice and the Pirate house were the standouts this year for me. We had a great time and I'd go back in a heartbeat, especially with Pipeline opening next year. 

It looks like SeaWorld has improved Howl-o-Scream this year. When I went last year, I thought they did a great job with the themed bars and that the houses and Terror-tories were "hit or miss."  The voodoo zone was the best, while the two best houses were the pirate ship and a creepy waterfront hotel.

They were really pushing the Jello-shot syringes.

• Like 1

really nice report.

I honestly had no idea that "Monster Stomp" is a packaged show. . .costumes, sets, and show are exactly the same as in the other parks?  for some reason, I never even considered that!

pretty cool, actually.

2 hours ago, cfc said:

They were really pushing the Jello-shot syringes.

if they're anything like the ones at SWSA?  (and I assume they are all coming from same supplier perhaps?) . . they were pretty strong.    Was feeling it after the 3rd.

Great report, Adam! Those shots of the surf coaster construction look nice, especially near nightfall.

Other than the (ugh) bugs things to buy and eat, was there other themed food to try, as well?

Just curious, as I usually am. 😉

$10 upcharge show? That's the first I've ever heard of that at this park... or any park... -- are you not allowed to tell us what happens in lost souls? What happens in lost souls stays in lost souls? ;)

Edit:  ok I just found a video from media day, looks fun! Not sure I'd pay an upcharge, but I applaud them for trying something different!

Edited by anonymouscactus