TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Didn't the park say they were trying to get Ice Breaker back down to 48"? Or was that just to get everyone off their backs about it?

The coaster has been open for almost 4 months so it seems that 54" will be somewhat permanent which is a bummer. And given the stand-up nature of this new coaster, I think 54" is a very safe assumption. 52" is possible since some (perhaps all) B&Ms with those vest restraints are 52".

I just don't see how this stand up coaster would be lower than the ones already built.  It's only so far down the straddler can go down.  I would prepare myself for height restrictions as well.  Hopefully, if things work out with BGW 2023 alleged plans, something similar could come to SW.

Stopped in for a couple hours on our way to the airport. Only goals were to have lunch (since we had vouchers) and get a ride or,two on Mako. Had lunch at the place with the stage near the front. Was impressed that they gave you 3 huge chicken tenders, fries, a drink, and dessert for a food voucher here, whereas BGT gives you a slice of pizza and a drink and that's it.

I'm glad Mako was my only real goal for coasters as Kraken was closed the whole time I was there (with a cherry picker near the cobra roll while I rode Mako) and Manta was closed the majority of the time with a train stuck on the lift (and people working on it) when we left. Didn't feel like walking back to Ice Breaker as I rode it multiple times a month ago.

Speaking of Mako, thankfully was running two trains and maybe a 5 minute line. Got a couple backseat rides and this is the place to be. The first drop and first camelback are great back there. Unfortunately the rest of the ride is kind of lackluster (kind of similar to Candymonium in that regard) besides the speed hill, but still a ton of fun as all B&M hypers are.

Only had a couple hours to kill there so after a trip through the Manatees, Dolphins, and Stingrays it was time to head out. Hope to be back when the new hotness opens up!

SeaWorld Orlando has released new details about this year's Howl-O-Scream featuring more houses, more scare zones, more roaming haunts, more rides and more experiences!

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/

1900x500-SWO-2022-HOS-Scratch-Banner.thumb.jpeg.9a17c7c03a587d1a7293c02bcfc7c9f2.jpeg

Howl-O-Scream Returning to SeaWorld Orlando in 2022

After a successful "inaugural fear," Howl-O-Scream will once again wash ashore in Orlando on Sept. 9, 2022 with nowhere to hide! This year promises to be bigger than ever before with more pulse-pounding, sweat-inducing haunts, thrills, and chills.

Evade angry haunts as they rampage through scare zones. Seek shelter indoors, only to find you’ve entered a house of horrors. Deepen the thrill with a nighttime coaster ride. Quench your thirst for fear at a fiendishly interactive bar. Feel the monstrous electricity of a live show.

Evil is returning—with a howl and a scream. Experience 28 nights of fully immersive fear in fall 2022, only at SeaWorld Orlando.

Surfacing This September

380x237-SWO-HOS-Haunted-Houses.jpeg.b3da15f0764d6d2e7faee996ad138b6c.jpeg

More Haunted Houses

Hear every bloodcurdling shriek. Feel every spine-tingling terror. Get ready for the haunted houses of SeaWorld’s Howl-O-Scream. There’s no turning back as you brave dark passageways and round dimly lit corners, hoping you can avoid what’s lurking in the depths. The legends are true, the fear is real, and the only way out is through.

380x237-SWO-HOS-2022-Terrifying-Shows.jpeg.20c3d8b52d420a002d1f4d1a57c7572d.jpeg

More Terrifying Shows

Even amid so much mayhem, the show must go on. Duck inside and be mesmerized by a raucous, high-energy musical dance show. Or witness the outdoor spectacle as the ominous story of the one who has emerged from lake unfolds before you. You’ll also find DJs and party zones that are perfect for a dance break between frights.

380x237-SWO-HOS-2022-Scare-Zone.jpeg.c39a59f5f0d8f9c699dbda54b33322b6.jpeg

More Scare Zones & Roaming Haunts

There are no safe zones. There are no places to hide. The scares are everywhere, and the roaming haunts never weaken. Get ready for immersive terror at every turn during SeaWorld’s Howl-O-Scream. Stay alert and be prepared for anything, because you never know what’s waiting up ahead (or creeping up behind you).

380x237-SWO-HOS-2022-Rides-and-Experiences.jpeg.796501db4d4f132f0e40362f10f97cfe.jpeg

More Rides & Experiences

Have you ever ridden your favorite attraction in the dark? It wouldn’t be a SeaWorld visit without a ride or two, but it wouldn’t be Howl-O-Scream without a dose of nighttime terror. Meanwhile, sinister interactive surprises await at your favorite bar haunts. After nightfall, every moment of fun comes with a splash of fear.

Keep watching to see how this once-peaceful park transforms with fear after nightfall.

Sounds like Manta is going to be open this year which is nice, having Manta, and I'm assuming Mako and Ice Breaker is a decent ride lineup. We really had a great time at the event last year so I'm looking forward to checking it out again. In fact I went ahead and bought tickets on the special they ran a little while back, it was like 2 tickets for any event night for like $33 each or something. I'll gladly pay $33 for some night rides and mediocre houses. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like SeaWorld Orlando released the map for Howl-O-Screams. Similar to last year except that it looks like the bridge over the lake and the waterfront area will be open this year with a Scare zone in the water front which should be nice. Also looks like the Lurking in the Depths show will be near that area with the tank and the pearl divers, maybe utilizing that tank? Could be interesting.

Good to see the Flamecraft bar area will be used this year for the Longshoreman Tavern. I love that bar and that whole thing was awesome last year so should be a lot of fun in that space. Also the specialty bar Lost Souls Hideaway near the sky tower is intersting. I knoe the sky tower has recently started operating again, and it's been years but there used to be a really nice little bar down on the water behind the Sky Tower, so that could be a fun spot to grab a drink.

I'm curious to see where the Blood Reckoning house will end up being, on the map it looks like it's over near Seaport Pizza next to Manta's pretzel look, but there's not really a building over there or empty space for a tent or anything? Maybe it's inside of the Seaport Theatre and the entrance is just on that path? I might take my oldest and run down on Sunday for some birthday weekend coasters so might have to see if there's any progress.

image.thumb.png.19b3b5a84c0577101f76d056d1c0bcd6.png

• Like 2

I did make it down to the park yesterday for a few hours with my little one and it looks like that new house is inside/around the SeaPort Pizza building. They had the walkway next to Manta's pretzel loop blocked off but the facade for that house was up on the south side of the building, and the outdoor seating are on the opposite side had a tent looking structure over it, pretty much where the netting is in the google street view image below. Not the biggest area for a house but I think there' some other pavilions/backstage area back behind that you can't see.

seaport.thumb.jpg.c0f73dfee7adb10fbee21b3c6ec3d19b.jpg

image.thumb.png.241438b7d99568511d17be4dc70127b2.png

One other thing that I noticed was there was looked like a newish/temporary fence underneath the brake run area for Manta around what I believe is normally a service road, which makes me wonder if for the event if they intend to reroute the entrance for Manta maybe through that backstage area so that you don't have to walk all the way around to the front. Logistically it makes sense, and on the event map that pathway is kind of blacked out/not included, so we'll see. Either way I'm glad it's open for the event wherever the entrance may be.

• 1 month later...

So, I just visited this park for my first time around a month ago right before hurricane Ian hit. To my surprise, Manta ended up being my favorite coaster there and not Mako (still a good ride though) like I was expecting. Does anyone else feel the same way about Manta? That thing is legit amazing!

SeaWorld Orlando has announced Pipeline, a brand new stand-up B&M coaster for 2023!

image.thumb.png.8f5bcc01eab4aa305025614f5f310707.png

https://seaworld.com/orlando/roller-coasters/pipeline/

SeaWorld Orlando is excited to announce the opening of the theme park’s NEWEST roller coaster, “Pipeline: The Surf Coaster”, in the Spring of 2023. This attraction is the world’s first “Surf Coaster”. Riders will feel the power of the ocean in a whole new way, making “Pipeline” every thrill-seeker’s newest obsession. “Pipeline” will take them on an unparalleled journey and will keep them coming back for more.

“We are always looking for exciting ways to take thrills to a new level. This first-of-its-kind roller coaster will be the perfect addition to the already incredible lineup of attractions at SeaWorld Orlando,” said Kyle Miller, SeaWorld Orlando Park President. “SeaWorld Orlando will be the only place in the world to ride a roller coaster like this and we welcome everyone looking for the chance to experience it.”

First-of-Its-Kind Surfing Launch and Moving Seats

The innovative design elements that make this a first-of-its-kind roller coaster are the surfing launch and “wave jumping” motions that riders will experience. The unique surfboard-shaped ride vehicle will give riders an immersive experience from the moment it starts. They will be secured on the roller coaster in a surfing position and will be launched at top speeds, feeling as if they are catching a wave. Riders will then feel like they are hanging loose when their seats rise and fall to mimic the sensation of riding on a wave while sending them through several gnarly twists and turns.

“Pipeline: The Surf Coaster” Will Reach Radical Heights and Speeds

Each rider will get the rush of cutting through waves as they race up to heights of 110-feet in the air and feel like they are about to wipe out when they go upside down on a wave curl along the 2,950-feet of track. “Pipeline” will send riders on a journey reaching max speeds of 60-miles-per-hour, with five different airtime moments and lasting a total of 1 minute and 50 seconds. The ride has a projected height requirement of 54”, and is designed by Bolliger & Mabillard Consulting Engineers, Inc. based in Switzerland.

“Pipeline” will be the seventh roller coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, reinforcing the theme park’s reputation as the Coaster Capital of Orlando. It joins an impressive roster of coasters that include Mako, which was voted the #1 Best Roller Coaster by the USA Today 10Best Readers' Choice poll, and Ice Breaker, which was voted the #1 New Attraction by the USA Today 10Best Readers' Choice poll. “Pipeline” will be the latest in a string of top-notch roller coasters that continue to break the mold and bring thrill-seekers from around the world to SeaWorld Orlando.

When I first heard this was going to be a "standup" I was kind of skeptical, but a launched standup with bouncy seats....might just be kind of fun? 

Two other random thoughts about this addition,

1 it will be nice to have this open during Howl O Scream, so Mako, Manta, Ice Breaker and bouncy standup coaster is a pretty decent lineup of coasters for a Halloween event.

2, the location of this in the renderings with the pathways and the interaction on the waters edge all look great. I used to love that area of the park past the stadium and around towards the water front but it was only open during special events and stuff seasonally. It will be nice to have that area open all the time after this coaster is built.

I am confused.  Traditionally, stand up coasters are ridden in the stand up position and the seat is there for straddling and not for sitting soooooo how will bouncing seats really be felt if we are standing?

1 minute ago, jarmor said:

I am confused.  Traditionally, stand up coasters are ridden in the stand up position and the seat is there for straddling and not for sitting soooooo how will bouncing seats really be felt if we are standing?

My "trick" to actually enjoy the old B&M Standups was always to "sit" on the seat and not have you knees locked out, so I'd imagine this will work roughly the same way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

So not to get all coaster nerdy, but is B&M doing the launch for this? How long will the bouncey seats last? 

I guess I was under the impression that Indrivetec owned by Intamin made all the LSM's for Intamin and another company suppllies Vekoma RMC Mack B&M ect ect

I’m going to be cautiously optimistic for this coaster. The only standup I have ridden is Green Lantern that I did not like but given B&M’s reputation and it being over 20 years since their last standup, I am expecting this to be much more comfortable to ride.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jarmor said:

I think you're going to need to wear a cup while riding! =)

• Haha 1

As someone who has been following on the sidelines, I did not expect the surf coaster to be this. I'm so confused right now, I believed stand-up coaster where a thing of the past. That said I never done a stand-up coaster and I do want to try this out, here is to hoping one day I might.