TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

13 minutes ago, rachelmadcow said:

Why are you so mad at sea world not paying rmc and premier. a lot of people and business stopped all spending because nobody knew how long we would be shutdown and people kept dollars in house. 

Seaworld should buy SixFlags and just keep the core parks selling off SFA and darien lake, great escape...frontier city

I'm not particularly "mad" at them...just lost faith in their ability to operate.  And yeah, everyone who stopped complying with the terms of contracts that they had entered is just as bad.

That last comment...again, please share whatever is clouding your mind.  It must be some good shit!

We've officially left planet Earth and are somewhere orbiting Pluto at this point.  What's with people suddenly knowing more about the intimate details of purchase agreements and operations of mega-corporations than the people actually running said mega-corporations?  You're a customer.  You won't convince anyone how to run their park.  Just, you know, stop.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

I'm not particularly "mad" at them...just lost faith in their ability to operate.  And yeah, everyone who stopped complying with the terms of contracts that they had entered is just as bad.

That last comment...again, please share whatever is clouding your mind.  It must be some good shit!

Im sure they don't care. Obviously the banks didn't lose faith in them which is all that matters. 

I mean you tried to use their ability to raise billions in funding as a negative. I don't think it's me that is clouded. Like I said I didnt know they tried to buy CF.

Six Flags is a better fit for SeaWorld because they can get access to DC comics characters which is what they really need to compete with Disney. 

You know someone learns about net 30 and suddenly they are a Rothschild. Paying the people that deliver shredded lettuce to the qdoba someone works at doesn't give the payer a full scope of the economy. 

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 12:30 AM, rachelmadcow said:

That seems like a mechanical nightmare that is asking to break. I don't see B&M creating something so ludicrous, that's Intamin territory.

Let me know when you think of any B&M ever produced that was a 'mechanical nightmare'... I'll wait.

When B&M does something, they spend the time/money to do it right on the design/engineering front. There is -zero- concern from parks spending coin on B&M that there is a risk of things being unreliable or be a 'mechanical nightmare'.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:50 AM, rachelmadcow said:

Not paying for a ride when it won't be used is just good business. Disney obv did the same but Vekoma was too scared to talk about them. 

LOL, you have ZERO clue what you are speaking about. Typically, when a company enters into a contract to build something, the manufacturer, contaractor, ect puts a lean against the park for collateral. This ensures the they are less likely to get screwed by a park not paying. That lean isn't released till the debt is paid. That is what loans are for, if you don't have the cash on hand. This is what likely happened and why the rides didn't open. SW lost their operating income and possibly didn't have cash, or could not / chose not to get loans to cover those payments.  Once the payment was made, the lean was released, and the rides could open. 

It is not good business for any company to do what you're describing. Furthermore, you have ZERO insight into how Disney and Vekoma have structured their contracts. Or if there was any lapse in payment (and I seriously doubt there was)

I am a vendor for Disney, and I sell them a shit ton of metal every day. They continued to pay on all their bills from me through the entire pandemic. So it seems unlikely that they would have not paid their favorite attraction manufacturer, if they continued to pay me.  

• Like 1

Good job it wasn't an adult, otherwise the height limit could have been raised to 6ft 😂

Hopefully the park have a longer-term solution seeing that the lower height limit was a big selling point for the coaster. I assume the B&M Surf Coaster will come along and fill this void though so I guess it's not a huge issue for anyone but Seaworld.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KarlaKoaster said:

Good job it wasn't an adult, otherwise the height limit could have been raised to 6ft 😂

Funny thing is the taller you are, seems more likely that you’d break your leg trying to get in and out of those horrendous trains. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to apologize to the people I laughed at when they said Cedar Fair or Six Flags have better operations than the SEAS parks.

0502221258.thumb.jpg.b86ba41bd74deb2c7e7a53aa6d0e4ef3.jpg

To clarify, Mako was running 1 train with 2+ minute dispatch times (on a B&M hyper with no seat belts) and ride ops who let the train sit on the brake run a few times because they weren't paying attention. End result was a 45 minute wait when the park is nearly empty and Kraken kept flying by with 8 people in the train. Charging nearly $100 per person to watch your star coaster run 1 train with terrible dispatch times should be considered a form of larceny.

Ice Breaker was a hoot but definitely a strange coaster. A couple good pops of air. And a walk on because they were actually running 2 trains and usually dispatching trains before the one before it came back.

Whale show was great as always and also saw the Sea Lion and Otter show which was cute and humorous.

Made my way back towards the front, riding Atlantis for the first time after a 30 minute wait. Acceptable amount of wetness in the back seat felt fantastic on a day like today, but glad I didn't sit in the front and drown on that little hill. The whole ride is actually really well done, felt like I was back at Disney.

Hopped into the back on Kraken which was a walk on and this is starting to,get a bit brutal in some spots. Maybe it was the half empty train, but you can visibly see the cars shaking in some spots. The zero G was particularly brutal. It's a pretty forceful ride (though not to be confused with Kumba, Montu, or Hulk) but I can see why it's kinda becoming unpopular with the general public. Paint job looks great though.

Hit Manta after a 10 minute wait or so. This has the greatest queue of any ride at any park. Super air conditioned with waterfalls at the beginning and aquariums the rest of the way. Anyway, it's a fun ride with its swooping around fountains and palm trees, what isn't fun is getting stacked on the brake run for 3+ minutes in the flying position.

As much as I wanted to stay and see more shows and animals, the lack of shade on a 90 degree day after 9 straight days in the Florida heat was starting to get to us so we quit early. Other than the atrocious ops at Mako, we had a much better day there than at Busch Gardens and next time I would love to hit it early in a trip so we have more energy to see the other shows and exhibits.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FYI there's a flash sale today for Friday the 13th for Howl O Screams ticket to SeaWorld and Busch Gardens. $66.66 for two tickets good for any night of the event which is a pretty good deal.

Also I just noticed on the teaser website for the Orlando event page they have some little cryptic images and descriptions, presumably for the houses/scare zones/attraction etc. But three of the the images are a shark, and manta ray, and some ice cubes, so hopefully that means Mako, Manta, and Ice Breaker will be open for the event this year. I had a blast at this event last year but 2 more coasters in the mix would have been nice so hopefully that's true this year. 

HOSSWO.png.4ccbf6b9d686afc5e75950332e42bcd5.png

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/

^I will say that last year the way they ran the event they were able to open up a second section of the park for private events and run both simultaneously.  Kristen had her homecoming dance in the Antarctica area with Kraken included while Howl o Scream was going on on the other side of the park!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SharkTums said:

^I will say that last year the way they ran the event they were able to open up a second section of the park for private events and run both simultaneously.  Kristen had her homecoming dance in the Antarctica area with Kraken included while Howl o Scream was going on on the other side of the park!

Had no idea they were doing that.  Beats my old homecoming dances for sure. Good use of the space.  

^I know right?! It was actually pretty cool of SeaWorld to do. There was a covid rule that the events had to be outdoors and they stepped up and gave a decent price to many of the local schools so they could still have the dance. 

• Like 2

At the park on 6/8 for the end of the ACE SpringCon (first two days at BGT) IceBreaker would be a fun family coaster if they were able to let younger kids ride it but since they shot themselves in the foot with the comfort collars which prevent said kids from riding it's all kind of eh. Manta was down all day, one of the employees told me during ert it was due to "someone doing something they were not supposed to be doing".....? I have no idea if that someone was a guest or an employee. But I can tell you that there was a crew working on the lift hill ALL day. Also Infinity Falls was closed for annual maintenance. I totally get that in a year round park that is going to happen but they knew 450 attendees were coming to the event, way ahead of time, did it have to be closed that day? Couldn't do the annual maintenance a week earlier? Just kind of butt hurt on that one because the only other time we were at the park was the summer it opened and we missed it by one week. Even though it was supposed to have a summer opening. And we were there the last week of July. Grrr. Whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teacherkim said:

Also Infinity Falls was closed for annual maintenance. I totally get that in a year round park that is going to happen but they knew 450 attendees were coming to the event, way ahead of time, did it have to be closed that day? Couldn't do the annual maintenance a week earlier? Just kind of butt hurt on that one because the only other time we were at the park was the summer it opened and we missed it by one week. Even though it was supposed to have a summer opening. And we were there the last week of July. Grrr. Whatever.

I'm the last person to ever actually ride Rapids rides, but I found it kind of ridiculous that Infinity Falls AND the Rapids at BGT are both down for maintenance in May. Shouldn't that be a winter project?

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 6:35 PM, coasterbill said:

I still can’t believe they wouldn’t just run all of their coasters when they only have 4. It’s just so weird…

Yeah I just assumed it was because the Halloween event was all located on one side of the park so logistically it just kind of made sense to keep the event isolated to that area.

If Manta is open this year I'm curious how they're going to have the event laid out. With the new coaster construction I'm assuming that pathway will still be closed, but maybe they open up the pathway past Mako around to the water front area for a scare zone, maybe a house in that area somewhere? Could possibly put another show in the Seaport theatre. Should be interesting to see when everything is officially announced. 

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.50b839639d51f8f3ce5d79f7d20638f8.png

SeaWorld has announced a new, but as-yet unnamed roller coaster for 2023!

https://seaworld.com/orlando/roller-coasters/2023/

You won’t believe what’s rolling in next. Orlando’s coaster capital is getting a seventh entry, and this one is truly a first. Get ready to feel the power of the Pacific right here in Florida, letting the waves launch you on a one-of-a-kind ocean adventure.

Catch the thrill in 2023, only at SeaWorld Orlando.

• Like 1

Looks like at least one of the flaws (that I experienced) of B&M's stand-ups has been solved in going only 2 wide. The most painful seats (to me) were always the outside seats, furthest away from the centerline.

Hopefully their new design does work better in the nut-crushing department. Interesting to see them bringing back the stand-up concept.

2 hours ago, _s3_ said:

Looks like at least one of the flaws (that I experienced) of B&M's stand-ups has been solved in going only 2 wide. The most painful seats (to me) were always the outside seats, furthest away from the centerline.

This right here. Stand-ups are best in the front, center two seats. The edge seats are just awkward and so far from any heartlining. This surf coaster, combined with better restraints and 20+ year innovation since the last stand-ups, should be quite good.

I am also glad it's a unique concept and out of B&M's comfort zone. The park's B&M lineup is already very diverse and this expands that even more.

Nerd fact: this also means that between Orlando and Tampa, every type of B&M exists except a Wing. Quite impressive actually.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:53 PM, thrillseeker4552 said:

Nerd fact: this also means that between Orlando and Tampa, every type of B&M exists except a Wing. Quite impressive actually.

Not so fast there. . .

spacer.png

😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The old B&M Standups were kind of hit or miss for me, the bigger ones like Chang and Mantis I found pretty uncomfortable because of the weird way the G forces hit you standing up, but Georgia Scorcher and Riddler were great. It looks like this one won't be nearly as tall because of the launch, so I'm guessing it maybe won't be as forceful and more comfortable? Should be a solid lineup.

It's still crazy to me that SeaWorld will have 3 coasters that have 54 In height requirement but oh well, a high capacity reliable coaster is always welcome. 

If this new coaster has a 54" height requirement, that will make it 5 coasters with that requirement. I know that Ice Breaker was supposed to be the coaster for a lower thrill level but with that also at 54" now, they really could use something a step up from the kiddie coaster but not too intense with a 42" or 48" height requirement (besides Journey to Atlantis).