TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

SeaWorld Orlando has announced that they will debut their own Howl-O-Scream event 

1900x500-SWO-HOS-Banner-v5.thumb.jpg.c2fce8c5717acb8525e60eb19f7adb9e.jpg

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/

HOWL-O-SCREAM TERRIFIES SEAWORLD ORLANDO FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER
A new terror has surfaced, and there’s nowhere to hide. Howl-O-Scream has washed ashore at SeaWorld Orlando, and this time, the fear is everywhere.

Evade angry haunts as they rampage through scare zones. Seek shelter indoors, only to find you’ve entered a house of horrors. Deepen the thrill with a nighttime coaster ride. Quench your thirst for fear at a fiendishly interactive bar. Feel the monstrous electricity of a live show.

Above all, try to resist the haunting song of the one who has emerged from the lake. Evil is calling—with a howl and a scream.

Experience 27 nights of fully immersive fear this fall, only at SeaWorld Orlando. 

Howl-O-Scream is intended for a mature audience. This event contains intense adult content such as violence, gore, and blood. Howl-O-Scream 2021 is a separately-ticketed night event. No costumes are allowed.

*Event dates and details subject to change and/or cancellation without prior notice.

EVENT DATES

September 10th - October 31st

EVENT HOURS

Fridays & Saturdays - 7:00 PM - 2:00 AM 

Thursdays & Sundays - 7:00 PM - 12:00 AM 

380x237-SWO-HOS-Haunted-Houses.jpg.45a820fe6c71989766b34b9c12ec93ec.jpg

HAUNTED HOUSES 

Hear every bloodcurdling shriek. Feel every spine-tingling terror. Get ready for the haunted houses of SeaWorld’s Howl-O-Scream. There’s no turning back as you brave dark passageways and round dimly lit corners, hoping you can avoid what’s lurking in the depths. The legends are true, the fear is real, and the only way out is through.

380x237-SWO-HOS-Scare-Zones.jpg.59d7cbb7b2d499fb085c01a543e92005.jpg

SCARE ZONES & ROAMING HAUNTS 

There are no safe zones. There are no places to hide. The scares are everywhere, and the roaming haunts never weaken. Get ready for immersive terror at every turn during SeaWorld’s Howl-O-Scream. Stay alert and be prepared for anything, because you never know what’s waiting up ahead (or creeping up behind you).

380x237-SWO-HOS-Shows.jpg.dd61cc4fda3b2654ab40324c52369698.jpg

TERRIFYING SHOWS 

Even amid so much mayhem, the show must go on. Duck inside and be mesmerized by a raucous, high-energy musical dance show. Or witness the outdoor spectacle as the ominous story of the one who has emerged from lake unfolds before you. You’ll also find DJs and party zones that are perfect for a dance break between frights.

380x237-SWO-HOS-Rides-Experiences.jpg.078363f01edd55d36200f113f91dd89f.jpg

RIDES & EXPERIENCES 

Have you ever ridden your favorite attraction in the dark? It wouldn’t be a SeaWorld visit without a ride or two, but it wouldn’t be Howl-O-Scream without a dose of nighttime terror. Meanwhile, sinister interactive surprises await at your favorite bar haunts. After nightfall, every moment of fun comes with a splash of fear.

Keep watching to see how this once-peaceful park transforms with fear after nightfall.

195215959_381443316624708_498005562441746676_n.thumb.jpg.abd981b76c3bbfca0d2b9d7adec31bd8.jpg

195873962_386191666064625_4090218348374558684_n.thumb.jpg.84f11bb52fc619b3d5cc137e76a39321.jpg

194847655_354257256034195_500585597630112204_n.thumb.jpg.4cad997f79c440332b84282a7cee42a2.jpg

• Like 2

I can't wait to check out this event from the top of Rip Ride Rockit

... in all seriousness, this is exciting. I feel like it has high suck-potential because they're clearly positioning it as the cheap option and selling the combo ticket for this and BGT for the same price as one night at HHN but more competition has to be a good thing for HHN and every time I've gone to the BGT event I've really enjoyed it.

I think there's a chance that every animal thing will be closed and it will just be rides, pop up bars, mazes and scare zones but please make Clyde & Seamore's high school slaughterhouse of death (or something like that) happen. Then I would buy a ticket immediately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty excited about this, is it a budget alternative to HHN? Absolutely, but the whole event at BGT is always a lot of fun so I'm sure this should be as well. Give me some spooky atmosphere and short ques for night rides on Mako and Manta all day!

Edit: just read that Friday's and Saturday's it's open until 2 AM !?! Yeah, all of the coasters will probably be complete walk ons after midnight.

26 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I think there's a chance that every animal thing will be closed and it will just be rides, pop up bars, mazes and scare zones but please make Clyde & Seamore's high school slaughterhouse of death (or something like that) happen. Then I would buy a ticket immediately.

Dye the water in the Shark Encounter red you cowards.........

Also would it be that hard to do a spooky overlay for Journey To Atlantis? None of the effects work anymore anyways, just add some fog and lights and some music and it will be 100% better than it is right now.

Does anyone know what’s going with Antarctica? We just went on it to avoid the rain and it was just the walk-thru part. I like seeing the penguins, but I also kinda like the ride even if it’s a little lame.

Anyway today has been nice but has turned into a super rainy day, just hanging out waiting for the storm to pass. Ice breaker looks cool too, I hope they open it soon!

12 minutes ago, MiABeta said:

Does anyone know what’s going with Antarctica? We just went on it to avoid the rain and it was just the walk-thru part. I like seeing the penguins, but I also kinda like the ride even if it’s a little lame.

Been that way since COVID started.

4 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Been that way since COVID started.

Gotcha, honestly I’ve seen some complaints lately about the parks operations but even with a much worse than average daily rainstorm had a good time. Kraken closed at 5, but I assume that was employment related and they get a pass for that right now. Had 3 rides on everything else otherwise.

Honestly I think the new dolphin show is a downgrade.

Also got my first ride on Infinity Falls and it was a lot better than I expected. 

On 6/4/2021 at 1:52 PM, coasterbill said:

Or "Clyde & Seamore's Florida Chainsaw Massacre."

I am curious to see how this event works out. Tampa has done a good job with Howl-o-Scream over the years, and SeaWorld's event will offer Haunt fans something else to do that's a bit scarier that "Boo Bash" or "Mickey's Not So Scary."

• Like 1

Knowing how long it takes to put on an event of this magnitude and knowing that NOTHING has been done behind the scenes yet (I know people who work in the park), I am REALLY skeptical that this event will exceed expectations. And if it doesn't compare to HHN or Busch's event, it will always be viewed as a monumental failure.

I just don't see how they can realistically pull this off ESP when Universal is now paying $15/hour. Why would anyone work for Sea World when they can make MORE money down the road AND be guaranteed to be part of a successful Halloween event?

Think about it: Universal plans their HHN events YEAR round. So unless all of the houses and actors and everything are being hired third party, I just don't see how they can pull this off. Reminds me of that event 2 years ago near Gaylord Palms. It was OK but nothing like HHN. 

• Like 1

I hear what you're saying and don't entirely disagree, but they really seem to be positioning themselves as the cheaper option based on the price point and are more focused on competing on that front than on quality alone.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I hear what you're saying and don't entirely disagree, but they really seem to be positioning themselves as the cheaper option based on the price point and are more focused on competing on that front than on quality alone.

I just think they are setting themselves up to fail especially when there is another Howl-O-Scream just down the road (well, an hour or so!) that people will compare Sea World's event to. And the cheapest ticket is $19.99 with a season pass. I guess we will have to wait and see!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pianojohn said:

Think about it: Universal plans their HHN events YEAR round. So unless all of the houses and actors and everything are being hired third party, I just don't see how they can pull this off. Reminds me of that event 2 years ago near Gaylord Palms. It was OK but nothing like HHN. 

I was thinking about that event when this was announced, and some of the others. I wonder if SEAS might have acquired some assests from other events in the area that didn't make it through the pandemic, set pieces, costumes, design/management talent etc. I'm sure it's possible to lease out the a haunt from a third party company so maybe there's some of that going on behind the scenes to put this on. Of all places in America Orlando is probably a pretty good market to create an event from scratch in 6ish months and have it be halfway decent.

Six Flags Darien Lake put its Fright Fest together in like 3 weeks the year it was last taken over by Six Flags again. I believe an outside company that came in to do the work.

That said, if it's ANYTHING like that, it will NOT be a good event.... lol.

My point is that just because they have an insane amount of work to be done doesn't mean it can't be done. Yes I know they better have higher standards but with 3 months they can definitely throw something decent together. With Howl-o-scream TAMPA reducing to 5 houses I'm guessing they will take over some of the stuff from there as well.

I'm interested to see how this will play out. It's never going to be as "good" as Horror Nights, but with smaller crowds houses I can see them being more enjoyable than the HHN conga lines... even though the sets themselves may not be as good.

I also think it's a great way for people to experience the coasters that they generally would have passed on by otherwise not visiting the park. I don't think a lot of people realize what great rides SeaWorld has. We all know, but those that go to Universal and Disney usually couldn't care less about SeaWorld. That may change when/if they get bodies into the event.

I'm definitely going to try to make it on opening weekend Saturday night. The only problem is I need to wake up early for Hollywood Studios the next morning... -- might need to replan the order of my parks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy storms cleared out the park about 6pm and rained on and off the rest of the night which gave us flashbacks to our Hakugei rain ride haha.

Mako is legit! What great B&M hyper and imo America's best, but complete with the trim and mcbr that takes the edge off right when you're like 'holy crap are they gonna let this fly'. 

Kraken was a disappointment for me, wow is that thing hideous! 

Infinity Falls was down and we never revisited the Ice Breaker/Falls are again since it's dead.

Manta was fun by why do I have such better memories of Acrobat at Nagashima?!

IMG_20210621_233720_858.jpg

IMG_20210621_233720_845.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 4:53 AM, PKI Jizzman said:

Mako is legit! What great B&M hyper and imo America's best, but complete with the trim and mcbr that takes the edge off right when you're like 'holy crap are they gonna let this fly'. 

Kraken was a disappointment for me, wow is that thing hideous! 

In my experience the first trim doesn't bite hard or at all when the train is less than half full. Made a big difference on my rides. The biggest difference between Mako and my favorite B&M hyper, Goliath at SFOG, is that while Goliath has a similar trim that hits every time, it doesn't affect the rest of the ride the same way.

And about Kraken... yeah, it used to be one of the smoothest B&Ms you'd ever find, but the last ten years or so have not been kind to it. I still think it's a top 3 floorless though.

I had a pair of outstanding rides on Kraken toward the end of 2019. It was running perfectly. I also had two rides on Mako the same day. The first was slow and disappointing and the second was better but still weaker than I expected, especially for a warm, busy day. I wish I got the kind of ride on it that most people seem to get. I got back seat both times too which has always been the go to for B&M or really any hypers.

EDIT: It was 2019, not 18. 

Kraken was running perfectly smoothly a couple weeks ago when I rode. Got a front row ride and some random middle row edge seat and found it totally fine. I'm also used to the dumpster fire of a floorless called Scream, so my expectations for what is smooth may be shifted.

• Like 1

SeaWorld Orlando has announced their first haunted house, scare zone and themed bar experience coming to the first ever Howl-O-Scream Orlando event starting this September!

Haunted Houses

1900x500-SWO-HOS-Haunted-Houses-DeadVines.thumb.jpg.2f90c214919c82aca14afd215860e778.jpg

Dead Vines

This is no innocent garden stroll. You’ve just wandered into a terrifying realm of ravenous plants and hidden horrors.

Something is stirring among the trees. A shiver runs down your spine as you creep forward, one timid step at a time. Is this jungle alive…or undead? There’s an ominous force at work here, a merciless mistress of ivy and evil. She’s poisoned these woods with an all-consuming appetite for visitors like you. Keep moving and find a way out before it’s too late. You don’t want to end up dead on the vine.

Scare Zones & Roaming Haunts

490x276-SWO-HOS-Witchcraft-Bayou.png.d2ebe8225084c2992308ce806a89562e.png

Witchcraft Bayou

The cult is growing, and the lure is powerful. It’s hazardous to pass through this backwater bayou, but there’s no way around. Voodoo and witchcraft aren’t real, right? Tell that to the zealous worshippers trying to shackle you with their spells. They won’t rest until your soul belongs to her too. Stay alert, or the dark magic will drag you down.

Themed Bar Experiences

490x276-SWO-HOS-Poison-Grotto.png.a57c4ed58334ac17db42f67f4ae20614.png

Poison Grotto

What’s your poison? Unwind with a refreshing concoction and explore the enticing atmosphere of this unearthly lounge. It’s a fleeting escape from the deadly vines and savage servants nearby. Just be sure to keep your eyes open and pay proper respect to the one who invited you in. You’re her guest here, and she’s always watching.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:19 PM, anonymouscactus said:

the coasters that they generally would have passed on by otherwise not visiting the park. I don't think a lot of people realize what great rides SeaWorld has. We all know, but those that go to Universal and Disney usually couldn't care less about SeaWorld. That may change when/if they get bodies into the event.

This is painfully accurate.  My sister goes to Orlando all the time to go to Disney multiple times a year and has never ever set foot in SWO.  I asked her why and it's because "well I sent to SeaWorld in San Antonio and I feel like once you've seen one you've seen them all" and my argument of "they have way better coasters in Orlando and the park is just generally much better" had no effect also she had "why would I spend Disney time at SeaWorld?"  It's definitely the black sheep park in Orlando no question.  

On good days, SWO is one of my favorite parks.  Some great rides, shows, and animals.  

I'll be honest, I changed my plans around for a PA trip this fall so I could make this event, BGT's event, and HHN for a night.  Seaworld til 2am was actually the tipping point.  Looking forward to it.  Never been to Universal but we love Halloween events.

SeaWorld Orlando has announced the next haunted house for their first Howl-O-Scream, Beneath The Ice.

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/haunted-houses/beneath-the-ice/

Beneath the Ice
In the icy wilderness above the Arctic Circle, a research facility was lost…buried under snow and cut off from the outside world. Something compelled you to join the rescue party, but doubt is creeping in. Was that laughter, or the wind? That shiver you feel isn’t just from the cold. These chambers aren’t just frozen tombs. They’re pulsing with unspeakable horrors, and you’ll have to stay frosty and alert to survive.

Two new themed bars have been announced for the event as well!

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/attractions/

490x276-SWO-HOS-Frozen-Terror.png.d5960e65c4345aaab580da8a5f83099b.png

Frozen Terror

You might think you’re a safe distance from the snow-entombed research facility, but you’re not free from the frozen horrors. This inhospitable Arctic wasteland is swarming with icy, subhuman walkers. They may have pickaxes and shovels, but they’re not here to help dig for survivors. They’re here to turn you into one of them.

490x276-SWO-HOS-Tormented.png.905c4e056f4b8f4a07510834bb303fcb.png

Tormented

This is one place where a cold frosty one is a good thing. Take refuge from the wintry terrors of the Arctic hellscape outside and do a little refueling here. If you’re feeling mischievous, you can even join in and frighten your fellow expeditioners while they’re braving the horrors beneath the ice. How’s that for refreshing?

And the first show coming to Howl-O-Scream Orlando has been announced, Monster Stomp!

1900x600-SWO-HOS-Shows-Monster-Stomp.thumb.jpg.e565ee83f734819965d12e02f3f5ef7e.jpg

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/shows/monster-stomp/

Monster Stomp
In the misty corners of Victorian-era London, a fiend known only as Jack the Ripper walks the streets. Watch him take the stage in a way you’ve never seen before in this modern rock and rhythm spectacular. Hold onto your seat as electrifying percussion, dancing, and singing combine for a show that’s as darkly entertaining as it is exhilarating.

• Like 2