TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

They've had 1 train ops on slow forecast days for some time. It's been like that. The last time I went on a weekend day...they opened with one train. Thought it odd since it was a weekend, but I only got one ride (waited about 15 -20 minutes) as I had other things to do. I believe they put another train on later, but I had family that joined us after lunch who wanted to do the shows so I didn't get back later on. Yes it would be nice for them to always start with 2, but they are looking at it as saving on unnecessary maintenance.

I'm just trying out to figure out the game plan. If the plan going forward is going to be to wait to put the second train on, it might make sense to prioritize other rides first, and come back to Mako later. My gameplan there has been to squeak out 2-3 rides on Manta rope drop (first walk-on and the rest I have to wait for) do the penguin ride, do the river rapids ride, and then clean up on Mako before getting to Kraken and Atlantis. Now I might put Mako on the backburner if its going to start out at 1 train ops. Mako is really a coaster that deserves 5-10 laps in a row walk-ons. Its so smooth and fun that I never get sick of it. But its not quite gripping and thrilling enough to warrant 30+ minutes for when I've been on it over 40 times.

Rope drop Turtle Trek.

The first round of concerts have been released for the Seven Seas Food Festival! I must say they are better than past years (at least recently). They offer a lot more variety as well.

Live Concerts at Seven Seas Food Festival @ SeaWorld Orlando

SW7SeasCOncerts1.thumb.jpg.ab0aaa0b510b671be07856453b1d1513.jpg

Also there are 3-tiers of Reserved Seating available this year (General Seating is included with park admission on a first-come first-served basis):

1586375073_SW7seasReservedSeating.thumb.jpg.9331fed7bd7e8f81105dcd249c4effb3.jpg

Seating Chart:

SW7SeasSeatingchart.JPG.74ed3daebe2e955f0ab8211e23749f15.JPG

I love the seven seas festival, I would love to go every year but it's just hard to get down there for me during that time frame. Concert lineup looks like it could definitely bring in some new people to the park as well.

Do platinum pass holders receive any discounts on the concerts?

I love the seven seas festival, I would love to go every year but it's just hard to get down there for me during that time frame. Concert lineup looks like it could definitely bring in some new people to the park as well.

Do platinum pass holders receive any discounts on the concerts?

The concerts are free with park admission for general seating. Florida Platinum and SW Annual passholders get 10% off reserved seating. If your platinum is from another state (like BGW in VA), it may not (as some benefits are park/state specific). You would have to log in to see.

Anybody know how the Quick Queue works at Mako? Does it have reserved rows or is there a merge point? Can I select my seat? How long is the line from the merge point?

Also, for QQ does Kraken still take you up the exit and have the two middle rows reserved, or have they changed that?

I'll be going on a Saturday or Sunday concert day (haven't decided which day yet) so I might spend the $20/$25 for QQ unlimited. I know in the morning before the first dolphin show break I can get a lot done (Kraken with no wait, especially) but if Mako is awesome I'd like to get as many rides on it as possible... provided I can choose where to sit.

Thanks!

Hello everyone! I am planning a trip to SeaWorld in February for the first time. Anyone have any useful details I should know before going? Where to eat? If the Quick Queue is worth it? And what to do with belongings such as phones, on the coasters?

Thanks!! Can’t wait to finally get to this nice park!

Hello everyone! I am planning a trip to SeaWorld in February for the first time. Anyone have any useful details I should know before going? Where to eat? If the Quick Queue is worth it? And what to do with belongings such as phones, on the coasters?

What day and what time of day you are going will change a lot of your questions. Are you going on the weekend or a weekday?

I hear the food for the Seven Seas food festival is really good... but that is weekends only. https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/seven-seas-food-festival/menus/ -- keep in mind that is more for tasting a bunch of different things, not really for sitting down and having a meal.

There are one time use lockers at Kraken and Manta, but they both also have shelving to leave your hats/glasses/small stuff (but they won't let you in line with anything else) -- Journey to Atlantis has nowhere to leave your stuff due to separate exiting area. Don't know about Mako. The lockers used to be $1.00 in quarters but they have probably upgraded from the last time I was there... and they might cost more now.

Wait times are generally dictated by when the shows let loose. Kraken will get a line starting at the dolphin shows first release (in the first hour it will be walk on. Always.). Manta and Turtle trek will get lines when show breaks happen as well. Antarctica will get a bigger line when the Sea Lion stadium let's out, and Wild Arctic will get a line when Shamu stadium lets out.

Provided you are going on the weekend. Weekdays in February are very light from what I remember.

I try not to post too much advice only because quite a bit has changed and I'm getting old >.<

Anybody know how the Quick Queue works at Mako? Does it have reserved rows or is there a merge point? Can I select my seat? How long is the line from the merge point?

Also, for QQ does Kraken still take you up the exit and have the two middle rows reserved, or have they changed that?

I'll be going on a Saturday or Sunday concert day (haven't decided which day yet) so I might spend the $20/$25 for QQ unlimited. I know in the morning before the first dolphin show break I can get a lot done (Kraken with no wait, especially) but if Mako is awesome I'd like to get as many rides on it as possible... provided I can choose where to sit.

Thanks!

The QQ Entrance for Mako is right beside the regular queue. The merge point is on the station Platform where the grouper stands (so you don't get mixed in with the regular line). They don't have reserved rows and they assign seats, but if you ask politely they'll usually let you seat where you request.

Kraken still has QQ entrance at the ride exit. They no longer have reserved rows (at least not last time I was there recently).

They have also updated the lockers to those like at the CF parks. They cost $2 for the first hour and $1 each additional hour OR you can select the all day movable option for $6 I believe, but it's no more than $10. I rarely ever need one, but did when I went to ride Infinity Falls and took a change of shoes...lol Mako is strict on bringing any bags or other articles in line. They do have baskets where you can leave glasses, hats and small items in while riding.

What day and what time of day you are going will change a lot of your questions. Are you going on the weekend or a weekday?

I hear the food for the Seven Seas food festival is really good... but that is weekends only. https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/seven-seas-food-festival/menus/ -- keep in mind that is more for tasting a bunch of different things, not really for sitting down and having a meal.

There are one time use fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo at Kraken and Manta, but they both also have shelving to leave your hats/glasses/small stuff (but they won't let you in line with anything else) -- Journey to Atlantis has nowhere to leave your stuff due to separate exiting area. Don't know about Mako. The fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo used to be $1.00 in quarters but they have probably upgraded from the last time I was there... and they might cost more now.

Wait times are generally dictated by when the shows let loose. Kraken will get a line starting at the dolphin shows first release (in the first hour it will be walk on. Always.). Manta and Turtle trek will get lines when show breaks happen as well. Antarctica will get a bigger line when the Sea Lion stadium let's out, and Wild Arctic will get a line when Shamu stadium lets out.

Provided you are going on the weekend. Weekdays in February are very light from what I remember.

I try not to post too much advice only because quite a bit has changed and I'm getting old >.<

Thanks for all the advice! I am actually doing a weekday most likely, as I will also be doing multiple days at WDW and Universal, so that's nice to hear that the place is pretty light on weekdays during February.

They have also updated the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo to those like at the CF parks. They cost $2 for the first hour and $1 each additional hour OR you can select the all day movable option for $6 I believe, but it's no more than $10. I rarely ever need one, but did when I went to ride Infinity Falls and took a change of shoes...lol Mako is strict on bringing any bags or other articles in line. They do have baskets where you can leave glasses, hats and small items in while riding.

Are cell phones allowed in said baskets/is it secure like locking bins for each train or more like general storage for all trains? If not, I may just do what I did at CP with the movable locker deal.

First off, if you're going on a weekday in February, Quick Queue most likely won't be necessary. That can be purchased at the park if you decide you need it. The weekends may be another story if during the Seven Seas Food Festival, but I always advise people to wait and see if the lines are long enough to justify the cost. I've been numerous times where most of the coasters were a walk-on to 15 min wait, even on a weekend day this time of year. One ride that will have a longer line no matter the day is Antarctica: Empire Of The Penguin. Weekdays won't be too bad, but on weekend days, it's common for it to have an hour-90 min or more wait (especially during festivals). It's just a low capacity attraction.

Food-wise Voyagers has good BBQ and Ribs. Spice Mill has as great fish sandwich and Expedition Cafe (in Antarctica) has a food court set up with Italian, Asian and American options depending on what you're looking for. It's good if you're with picky eaters who may not want the same thing as you.

As long as it's in a secured pocket, you can keep your phone with you on the coasters. They do have small baskets/bins at Mako, Kraken and Manta, but you leave it at your own risk. As far as other belongings, no bags are allowed in line at any of the coasters, including Journey To Atlantis (separate load/unload stations). Infinity Falls will let you take a bag (like book bag size), but it will get wet as there isn't any storage on the rafts, so it's at your own risk. They do have pay per use lockers for $2 (first hour, $1 each additional hour) at each coaster. They do have a movable all-day option where you pay one price and can use any of the ride lockers (I believe it was $6 last time, but it's no more than $10 to use all day).

First off, if you're going on a weekday in February, Quick Queue most likely won't be necessary. That can be purchased at the park if you decide you need it. The weekends may be another story if during the Seven Seas Food Festival, but I always advise people to wait and see if the lines are long enough to justify the cost. I've been numerous times where most of the coasters were a walk-on to 15 min wait, even on a weekend day this time of year. One ride that will have a longer line no matter the day is Antarctica: Empire Of The Penguin. Weekdays won't be too bad, but on weekend days, it's common for it to have an hour-90 min or more wait (especially during festivals). It's just a low capacity attraction.

Food-wise Voyagers has good BBQ and Ribs. Spice Mill has as great fish sandwich and Expedition Cafe (in Antarctica) has a food court set up with Italian, Asian and American options depending on what you're looking for. It's good if you're with picky eaters who may not want the same thing as you.

As long as it's in a secured pocket, you can keep your phone with you on the coasters. They do have small baskets/bins at Mako, Kraken and Manta, but you leave it at your own risk. As far as other belongings, no bags are allowed in line at any of the coasters, including Journey To Atlantis (separate load/unload stations). Infinity Falls will let you take a bag (like book bag size), but it will get wet as there isn't any storage on the rafts, so it's at your own risk. They do have pay per use fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for $2 (first hour, $1 each additional hour) at each coaster. They do have a movable all-day option where you pay one price and can use any of the ride fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo (I believe it was $6 last time, but it's no more than $10 to use all day).

Awesome info, thanks! I'm sure my trip will be great, I've heard many great things about SWO, and am glad to finally check it out for myself.

Looks like it wasn't mentioned yet, but another orca has died at the Orlando park. Kayla, age 30, died unexpectedly on Monday. 30 is still young-ish for an orca and it sounds like the illness came on very suddenly and unexpectedly, so I'm sure the trainers are floored and devastated. I hope that the anti-Seaworld people don't make a spectacle of this in the midst of the trainers' grieving.

Sea World Orlando just does not get crowds. Its pretty uncrowded Saturday and Sunday, and its pretty much a ghost town in a Monday-Thursday situation. I live pretty close, so for giggles I went on a Friday night between Christmas and NYE when all of the other major parks in Florida were so jammed you couldn't move, and SWO was still not that crowded. The first time I went was in April of 2018. I didn't know much about the park, but bought a QQ. I think I was the only person all day who bought one. The whole day nothing had a line. I pretty much just kept using the QQ line because it was a shorter walk. The greeters sometimes wouldn't even open the QQ line up, but I insisted because I had paid for it, and it was a shorter walk.

So I would never even dream of buying a QQ for SWO unless its a Saturday or holiday. Its a park that's not well attended, and its full of very high capacity rides.

On busier days, it's not the ride lines where you feel the crowds at SeaWorld. You feel the crowds during the shows.

That's not really as huge of a concern. A enjoy park shows, but I usually go to parks for coasters. Shows are usually just a way for me to feel like I'm getting all of my money's worth, and stay productive if lines are getting line. If a park gives me crowded shows for walk-on rides I'll take it.

Looks like it wasn't mentioned yet, but another orca has died at the Orlando park. Kayla, age 30, died unexpectedly on Monday. 30 is still young-ish for an orca and it sounds like the illness came on very suddenly and unexpectedly, so I'm sure the trainers are floored and devastated. I hope that the anti-Seaworld people don't make a spectacle of this in the midst of the trainers' grieving.

That's sad to hear.

Edited by AUWent

Sea World Orlando just does not get crowds. Its pretty uncrowded Saturday and Sunday, and its pretty much a ghost town in a Monday-Thursday situation. I live pretty close, so for giggles I went on a Friday night between Christmas and NYE when all of the other major parks in Florida were so jammed you couldn't move, and SWO was still not that crowded. The first time I went was in April of 2018. I didn't know much about the park, but bought a QQ. I think I was the only person all day who bought one. The whole day nothing had a line. I pretty much just kept using the QQ line because it was a shorter walk. The greeters sometimes wouldn't even open the QQ line up, but I insisted because I had paid for it, and it was a shorter walk.

So I would never even dream of buying a QQ for SWO unless its a Saturday or holiday. Its a park that's not well attended, and its full of very high capacity rides.

I can tell you the park has been busy the last several weekends with First Look, as well as the week before and after Christmas. They have consistently used the overflow lot as well. Weekdays since January 7th however I can agree have been back to their normal slow days with school in session. The Friday night you mentioned may have been a fluke, but it was still busy for SW. Even with the overflow lot being used, it just doesn't feel as busy there when the entire park is open (Bayside area included) and all the shows in comparison to Disney or Universal.

Considering the park is still in the top 20 of most attended parks in the US and ranked #11 with in 2017 for North American parks (2018 hasn't been published that I can find just yet), it's still very well attended in comparison to every Cedar Fair (except Knott's with a difference of less than 100K people) or Six Flags park. I've been a passholder since 2007.

Visiting SeaWorld Orlando for the first time on Sunday! Hoping everybody will be watching that big Sports Ball game so crowds will be especially light.

It's Elmo's Birthday Weekend, so be prepare to be swamped by children. At least most of them will be doing the Elmo stuff and likely not in line for the coasters.

Capture.JPG.9e0b0d7a012890825ce520aaed4879b9.JPG

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/elmos-birthday-weekend/

Sea World Orlando just does not get crowds. Its pretty uncrowded Saturday and Sunday, and its pretty much a ghost town in a Monday-Thursday situation.

It has been my experience over the last six months or so that the park has been busier than it was in the post-Blackfish slump. The special events have really driven the locals back to the park and more often than not, my visits have had me parking no closer than in line with the Ports of Call entrance, if not farther back. Most of the rides that the park has (save for Antarctica and Wild Arctic) are fairly high capacity, so the wait times may appear lower (20 minutes or so) for most of the major rides despite how many people are actually in the park. Infinity Falls has been pulling between 45 and 75 minutes waits most days I've visited since it opened.

So I know we've talked about it on here a million times but make this easier for me dudes. We've been day drinking but we've in vacation planning mode (good times). The missus and I was seriously plotting a Discovery Cove for late March. Sell me on it. We are Williamsburg passholders so we want to figure out discounts, etc and as ya'll know we did SWO and BGT last year. The website only lists prices that include a 2_ park visit but since we're passholders we don't need that. . She wants to swim with the dolphins. And maybe get a canaba? What's the deal? I know food, etc is included all day but like.. what is there to do? If we don't get a cabana (which is extra, right?) do we have a spot to chill? What else is there to do? I know we can feed little shit birds... Tell me what we should do. Also, its for her birthday.

Pass member discount! Bam Bam!!

https://discoverycove.com/orlando/special-offers/pass-members/?from=SWO_Pass_Promo&_ga=1.102132866.2026998744.1489667078

I noticed they force you into the 2 bonus parks on the official website now (this wasn't the case a few weeks ago)

For those without a pass and don't want SeaWorld, you can still get just the day resort or just the day+dolphin without SeaWorld etc on Visit Orlando, tickets at work, and undercover tourist from what I can tell.

Edited by anonymouscactus

Adventure:

- Swimming with the giant sting rays and exotic fish. You can easily spend an hour or more doing this.

- Up close animal encounters with a roaming employee (in the past we have seen sloths, owls, Hawks, giant ass turtles, armadillo, marmosets, anteaters). -- note you are not guaranteed to see these, often times it's luck. Sometimes they have schedules posted on a chalkboard.

- feeding the birds. You can easily spend a half hour doing this and seeing all the different rooms and types of birds.

- Dolphin swim. You spend about 20 min in the water for this and 15 minutes prep.

Relaxation:

- free booze

- location in water to enjoy said booze

- free food/snacks

- hammocks

- beach chairs in the sand

- (Cabana is very expensive, though since I knew a manager I did get the VIP treatment for free once. The Cabana was awesome but I wouldn't pay $200 for another place to lay... but that's just me. It's private and somewhere to keep your stuff if you don't want (an already free for everyone) locker

- lazy river, you will want to go around more than once. When we say lazy river it's not really like any other lazy river you've been in and you can easily spend 30 min going around once. You don't use innertubes.

- freshwater Oasis: has an island of small marmosets that you can't get very close to, and an otter enclosure. This will take about 15 minutes.

Honestly if that doesn't sound interesting then I wouldn't go. It really is hard to explain but I've brought at least 15 different people along with me various times and every single person enjoyed it. Some got cold when we went in the fish area when it was 45 degrees out and raining but that's out of my control, but the lazy river is super warm and you'll spend a lot of time exploring.

There are two different albums on my Facebook profile that --you-- have access to with over 850 photos. -- "Discovery Cove (scenery)" and "Discovery Cove (people). You'll have to dig a little far back on my albums to see them. Sorry to everyone else lol I don't want to make them public.

It's just a place you go to chill and get away from everything else in Orlando. If that makes sense. Great for a "last day of your vacation" adventure.

You keep asking what there is to do, but part of Discovery Cove is what you DON'T do, too. (Oh man that's deep)

If you have any questions let me know!

Here is a 10 minute YouTube video that walks you through everything from start to finish. From checking in, to lockers, to stuff you'll see. It's a good watch for someone who hasn't been before. I think it's a great overview of everything crammed into just the right amount of time.