TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Sounds great. We're not show people either, but we make exceptions for animal shows and exhibits. Outside of those exceptions, we find bad teenage acting, trendy dancing to bad pop music, and corny plots very annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of crowds we can expect?

Yeah we're the same way. The only shows we watch are animals shows. Two tips regarding that. 1) Iceploration at Busch Gardens Tampa (since you're going there) claims to have animals but it absolutely sucks. I'm pretty sure the only animals are some birds and a couple of Siberian Huskies. Do not watch this show. They have another indoor, air conditioned animal show in Pantopia and that's much better (though Corny as hell), the simple Cheetah and Elephant presentations are great.

Also, while I highly recommend Sea Lion High because of how incredibly well trained the Sea Lions are, it's amazingly corny and the jokes might give you douche chills. The Dolphin show and One Ocean aren't corny at all.

Crowds are usually really manageable. I've never had a problem with lines at Sea World other than Antarctica. Manta might get a long line but the queue is so cool that I don't mind at all.

HA. . in regards to BGT, we're the exact opposite. .but see, we ARE show people.

and to Show People, "Iceploration" is worth seeing, and "Opening Night Pets" (in Pantopia) sucked donkeys

http://www.seaworldinvestors.com/news-releases/news-release-details/2016/SeaWorld-Entertainment-Inc-Reports-First-Half-2016-Results/default.aspx

"While implementation of our plan through the first half of 2016 is delivering early indications of progress outside of Florida, second quarter overall was below expectations we shared in May, primarily due to an accelerated decline in Latin American guests at our Florida park locations, an overall downturn in the Orlando market in the latter half of June, and the impact of Tropical Storm Colin. Latin American attendance is down approximately 40%, or 235,000 guests year-to-date," said Joel Manby, President and Chief Executive Officer of the company.

"Although we are disappointed with the factors affecting our 2016 outlook, particularly in Florida, we are encouraged by some positive indicators at our other park locations. For the first half of 2016, revenue in Texas is up approximately 2% compared to a decline of 17% in the same period last year. California continued to improve, and revenue was down 2% for the first half compared to a decline of 8% in the same period last year," Manby continued.

"In addition to the improving trends in California and Texas, SG&A expenses excluding non-cash equity compensation were down, and our reputation campaign is resonating, based on recent positive survey results. Early indications for the third quarter have also been encouraging as our new rides are receiving positive reviews and have contributed to year-over-year attendance gains in Florida for July.

"Our focus remains on implementing and delivering on our strategic plan of creating experiences that matter, providing distinct guest experiences that are fun and meaningful; driving organic and strategic revenue growth, addressing our challenges and operating with financial discipline. Though effecting the turnaround will take time, we are making progress and continue to take the actions necessary to return to sustainable growth," Manby added.

[1] This earnings release includes several metrics, including Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted Net Income (Loss), Adjusted Net Income (Loss) per Diluted Share and Free Cash Flow that are not calculated in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the U.S. ("GAAP"). See "Statement Regarding Non-GAAP Financial Measures" section and the financial statement tables for the definitions of Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted Net Income (Loss), Adjusted Net Income (Loss) per Diluted Share, Free Cash Flow and the reconciliation to their respective most comparable financial measures calculated in accordance with GAAP. Also, see "Guidance" section for the company's reasoning for not reconciling the forward-looking Adjusted EBITDA guidance range included in this earnings release.

First Half 2016 Results

During the first half of 2016, the company generated revenue of $591.4 million, a decrease of $14.8 million, or 2%, compared to the same period in 2015. The company generated a net loss for the first half of 2016 of $66.3 million, or a loss of $0.78 per diluted share, and an Adjusted Net Loss of $31.5 million, or a loss of $0.37 per diluted share. For the first half of 2015, the company generated a net loss of $37.8 million, or a loss of $0.44 per diluted share, and an Adjusted Net Loss of $24.8 million or a loss of $0.29 per diluted share.

Adjusted EBITDA in the first half of 2016 was $77.8 million, a decrease of $18.5 million, or 19%, compared to Adjusted EBITDA of $96.3 million in the same period of 2015. Net cash flow provided by operating activities was $111.7 million in the first half of 2016 compared to $142.1 million in the first half of 2015.

The decrease in revenue was driven by a 4.2% decline in attendance and was partially offset by a 1.9% increase in total revenue per capita (total revenue divided by attendance). Attendance in the first half of 2016 declined by approximately 411,000 guests, or 4.2%, primarily due to weakness at the company's Florida park locations. Excluding Florida, total attendance at all other park locations increased by 67,000 guests. The company believes that the weakness in Florida is attributable primarily to the following factors: (i) a decline in international attendance, particularly from the Latin America market which was down by approximately 235,000 guests; (ii) an overall softness in demand in the Orlando market as evidenced by a decline in local and passholder attendance at the company's Orlando parks in the first half of 2016, and reduced hotel occupancy at Orlando-area hotels in the latter half of June; and (iii) adverse weather impacts due to the effects of Tropical Storm Colin in June. The company believes the decline in passholder attendance at its SeaWorld Orlando park resulted from a decrease in season pass sales due to less discounting on season pass products for 2016, as compared to the first half of 2015. To address some of these issues, the company has introduced strategic season pass promotions along with other ticket offers and have kicked off a new summer event at SeaWorld Orlando to help drive demand for this park for the third quarter. In addition, two highly anticipated new attractions, Mako and Cobra's Curse, opened in mid-June.

Total revenue per capita improved to $63.72 in the first half of 2016 from $62.55 in the first half of 2015. Admission per capita (admissions revenue divided by attendance) increased by 0.4% to $38.89 from $38.72 in the prior year period. In-park per capita spending (food, merchandise and other revenue divided by attendance) increased to $24.83 in the first half of 2016, from $23.83 in the same period of 2015, primarily due to increased sales of the company's in-park products, such as all day dining packages and front of the line "Quick Queue" access.

Second Quarter 2016 Results

Second quarter results were negatively impacted by the earlier timing of Easter and the later timing of Memorial Day in 2016, as compared to the timing of such holidays in 2015. During the second quarter of 2016, the company generated revenue of $371.1 million, a decrease of $20.5 million, or 5%, compared to the second quarter of 2015. The company reported net income of $17.8 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, and Adjusted Net Income of $18.0 million, or $0.21 per diluted share in the second quarter of 2016. In the second quarter of 2015, the company generated net income of $5.8 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, and Adjusted Net Income of $18.7 million, or $0.22 per diluted share.

Adjusted EBITDA, was $83.8 million, a decrease of $16.4 million, or 16%, compared to Adjusted EBITDA of $100.2 million in the second quarter of 2015. Net cash provided by operating activities was $79.5 million in the second quarter of 2016 compared to $104.4 million in the prior year second quarter.

Attendance in the second quarter decreased by approximately 494,000 guests, or 7.6%, primarily due to a decline at the company's Florida park locations, along with the negative impact of an earlier Easter and a later Memorial Day in 2016 on the company's seasonal parks. The company believes that the weakness in Florida is attributable primarily to factors discussed in the previous section. Attendance from the Latin America market was down by approximately 127,000 guests for the second quarter. Excluding Florida, total attendance at all other park locations decreased by 202,000 guests due almost entirely to a decline at the company's Virginia park locations, which are seasonal parks, resulting from the holiday calendar shift.

Total revenue per capita improved to $62.02 in the second quarter of 2016 compared to $60.45 in the prior year second quarter. Admission per capita increased by 1.7% to $37.43 in the second quarter of 2016 from $36.81 in the prior year second quarter. In-park per capita spending increased by 4.0% to $24.59 in the second quarter of 2016, from $23.64 in the prior year second quarter, primarily due to increased sales of the company's in-park products, such as all day dining packages and front of the line "Quick Qyueue" access.

Brazil is giving everyone some type of Zika.

San Antonio Aquatica is a slide tower with a kick ass water coaster as part of it away from really being nice. The Sea World side is getting the jet ski launch coaster but needs some more themed up flats and and an on site themed hotel. The backstage area for the Belugas needs themed up to match the dolphin interaction considering they charge the same.

We are hitting up BGW next summer, glad they are getting a new woodie.

Edited by ElvisLuv

HA. . in regards to BGT, we're the exact opposite. .but see, we ARE show people.

I think that's the difference. I hate theme park shows unless they involve animals. You couldn't pay me to sit through Iceploration again. What a pile of crap.

Honestly the things I enjoy most are the presentations on the animals without the show elements. Things like the Cheetah Run presentation, the Elephant presentations, any trainer presentation at Sea World and One Ocean which has music and is presented as a show but is honestly just an educational presentation on the whales and a way to see them perform incredible behaviors.

For cornball shows though I liked the pet one simply because despite the horrendous plot, all I really cared about was the training of the animals which was absolutely amazing. I feel the same way about Sea Lion high. It's corny but the animal behaviors make up for it.

if that's the case, avoid "opening night pets" at BGT. Actually, most of the shows at BGT

I'd recommend "Iceploration" at BGT tho. . because the costumes, Ice Skating, and trampoline monkeys are worth seeing. . but yeah, bad teenage acting and corny plot is in this show. . still worth going to see tho.

as to SeaWorld: I'd also say don't miss the two "hidden" aquariums -- one is by Manta (with the octopus) and one is by Journey to Atlantis (with the Jellyfish).

we didn't realize until we were home that we had missed the Jellyfish one

EDIT: and as we were just in Tampa a few weeks ago, and spent multiple days at BGT, and a full day at SeaWorld. . I'll point to my trip report again, as that might give you some good ideas, as well as LOTs of pics.

Thanks for the tips on the hidden aquariums. We'll definitely try to check those out. You TR was great, which was part of the inspiration to go to Sea World.

We can tolerate the plots in the pets show, sea lions show, etc., mostly because the main focus is on the animals and training. As far as the skating show goes, it still seems to have all of the qualities I hate about shows in general. I only take my ice skating two ways:

1) Drinking 9 dollar beer at Scott Trade Center and cursing at the St. Louis Blues, specifically Alex Pietrangelo. (YOU SUCK, PIETRANGELO!!)

2) All padded up and playing hockey at our local rink, while trying to keep up with the high school and college kids.

So SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) is getting killed in the market, down 13%. Management is blaming Orlando and Tampa on a lack of Latin American visitors.

Can anyone comment on SeaWorld Orlando's attendance lately? Has the lack of Latin American visitors really noticeable?

^The parks have been considerably less busy, most noticeable when walking throughout. That being said, you'd hardly know when watching One Ocean, Blue Horizons or Clyde & Seamore High. People are still coming through the gates, just not nearly as many as there have been in previous years. The effect is noticeable if you look closely, but from the guest's perspective, it is just a normal day at the park as little is operating any differently than it has before.

Saw this in the headlines today

I feel like this basically proves that PETA is only in this for the money. SeaWorld has already announced that they're stopping their breeding programs, and I'm pretty sure that most people can agree that none of these orcas could survive in the wild as they've been in captivity for too long.

^ LMAO! Really though, PETA is so obviously in it for money. I'm sure they started out with good intentions, but at this point, those are out the window. They're destroying businesses that are obviously making a change (for what they want!). It's been a very short amount of time, considering an Orca lifespan, for them to be able to announce ending Orca shows. I'm an animal lover myself, but PETA just is constantly so extra

So SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) is getting killed in the market, down 13%. Management is blaming Orlando and Tampa on a lack of Latin American visitors.

Can anyone comment on SeaWorld Orlando's attendance lately? Has the lack of Latin American visitors really noticeable?

Can't comment as well on SWO, but at BGT, there is a very noticeable drop in Brazilian groups. The Argentenians are still visiting but we have gotten very, very few Brazilian groups, while we usually have tons each day. It's definitely a major part of our attendance drop.

Joel Manby needs to go. Here I thought with all the good he did for his previous employer I thought he was going to be good for Sea World. Well, now we know better and he sold out to the acti-turds. Can't wait for his reign to end.

Attendance was up year over year after the coasters opened at the two Florida parks, and Mamby already stated future attractions will open in Q1 2016 as a result. As for the Brazilians: yes, they aren't coming like they used to and yes, it is apparently noticeable. The fears of Frozen having never ending queue lines after opening basically dissipated after a couple days when it became clear there were fewer bodies inside the gates. SeaWorld has had similar issues.

Attendance was up year over year after the coasters opened at the two Florida parks, and Mamby already stated future attractions will open in Q1 2016 as a result. As for the Brazilians: yes, they aren't coming like they used to and yes, it is apparently noticeable. The fears of Frozen having never ending queue lines after opening basically dissipated after a couple days when it became clear there were fewer bodies inside the gates. SeaWorld has had similar issues.

You mean Q1 2017 as 201 has past? They need the on property resorts but they need to get them right. Even Cedar Fair showed the greatest growth in lodging. I'm wondering when we see Six Flags enter that Market. They could build their own resorts with indoor water parks and ropes courses and what not. Look at St Louis and all that spa e around the Eureka park. With Halloween and Christmas becoming an important seasons for theme parks it's more and more a no brainer.

You mean Q1 2017 as 201 has past? They need the on property resorts but they need to get them right. Even Cedar Fair showed the greatest growth in lodging. I'm wondering when we see Six Flags enter that Market. They could build their own resorts with indoor water parks and ropes courses and what not. Look at St Louis and all that spa e around the Eureka park. With Halloween and Christmas becoming an important seasons for theme parks it's more and more a no brainer.

Yeah (and they also adjusted down capex spend). SeaWorld is surrounded by hotels already but they own none of them and, frankly, I don't think there's any demand for an additional further away hotel that is "officially" SeaWorld branded given how soft the lodging market is right now sans a lot of the international guests. Six Flags would need to invest money to do that, and they have said a few times now that they're not looking to spend at all. I think they even said a couple of announcements ago that they were thinking they could spend even less than they are now on cookie cutter S&S Freefly coasters and flat packages for guest increases.

Their per guest spending was up which has to be encouraging despite the attendance and subsequent revenue decreases. While I love the idea of SeaWorld branded hotels that's probably a decision that has to be made very carefully in the Orlando market for the reasons you stated, although based on my little to no knowledge of the resort hotel business as a whole I do think on site hotels at other properties could be very successful (Tampa specifically comes to mind).

I still think SeaWorld has a solid strategic plan for the future, it's not bulletproof by any means and obviously can be effected by various economic factors but I've got a feeling 5 years from now there will be several great new attractions with the same fantastic animal environments that has made the brand successful for years and they will be fine.

Legoland makes it work but they also have a year round water park. Adventure Island closes in October for BGT. I think it isn't a bad idea for that park and a couple others like San Antonio (though that park is kinda lousy all around) and Williamsburg, but Orlando it strangely enough I think is too late for an adjustment.

I've harped on this before, but if Antarctica wasn't as crappy as it is, we might not be having this discussion at all.

Legoland makes it work but they also have a year round water park. Adventure Island closes in October for BGT. I think it isn't a bad idea for that park and a couple others like San Antonio (though that park is kinda lousy all around) and Williamsburg, but Orlando it strangely enough I think is too late for an adjustment.

I've harped on this before, but if Antarctica wasn't as crappy as it is, we might not be having this discussion at all.

No arguments there with Antartica. (also how hard/expensive would it be to reprogram/rework Antartica to make the ride more interesting, has to be feasible?)

Wait, I thought Legoland's waterpark was closed October through December or so? Unless your talking about Legoland California. And in Tampa I still think they could create a really unique property in/around the Savannah section of the park that could be successful. Well maybe not unique, more like similar to that African savanna themed resort an hour to the east, but still it could be successful. Hotel choices in that part of town are not the best.....

My news feed was exploding this morning with Blackfish people taking credit for the attendance drop and anti-Blackfish people blaming Manby but if Disney is down then I don't see any feasible way that Sea World would ever be up. As much as they probably hate to admit it, Sea World's entire business model has always been about capturing a percentage of Disney's market and encouraging them to spend an extra day at Sea World. While it wasn't the case last year, it seems like recently Sea World has sort of bottomed out so I hesitate to attribute this to anything other than the city as a whole having down attendance.

Attendance was definitely not down the few days we were there last month.

Curious how you're able to accurately tell whether attendance was down on the summer days you were there versus the same days last summer, the summer before, etc.

Attendance was definitely not down the few days we were there last month.

Curious how you're able to accurately tell whether attendance was down on the summer days you were there versus the same days last summer, the summer before, etc.

I actually stated attendance seemed up.

I basing this off the fact that the park was swarmed much more so than our many past visits over the past 15 years.. Shamu stadium was packed to the gills (yea, bad pun), and the fact that the ride lines were 1+hours long. Not to mention the long lines for food. There were quite a few tour groups there as well.

I'll have a trip report soon to show.

20160705_125259.thumb.jpg.95241930dde952a7265b6a5bf0ecc788.jpg

Just one of the crazy lines we waited in. This was for the penguins ride.

if that's the case, avoid "opening night pets" at BGT. Actually, most of the shows at BGT

I'd recommend "Iceploration" at BGT tho. . because the costumes, Ice Skating, and trampoline monkeys are worth seeing. . but yeah, bad teenage acting and corny plot is in this show. . still worth going to see tho.

as to SeaWorld: I'd also say don't miss the two "hidden" aquariums -- one is by Manta (with the octopus) and one is by Journey to Atlantis (with the Jellyfish).

we didn't realize until we were home that we had missed the Jellyfish one

EDIT: and as we were just in Tampa a few weeks ago, and spent multiple days at BGT, and a full day at SeaWorld. . I'll point to my trip report again, as that might give you some good ideas, as well as LOTs of pics.

Thanks for the tips on the hidden aquariums. We'll definitely try to check those out. You TR was great, which was part of the inspiration to go to Sea World.

We can tolerate the plots in the pets show, sea lions show, etc., mostly because the main focus is on the animals and training. As far as the skating show goes, it still seems to have all of the qualities I hate about shows in general. I only take my ice skating two ways:

1) Drinking 9 dollar beer at Scott Trade Center and cursing at the St. Louis Blues, specifically Alex Pietrangelo. (YOU SUCK, PIETRANGELO!!)

2) All padded up and playing hockey at our local rink, while trying to keep up with the high school and college kids.

Just my 2 cents, I agree that Opening Night Critters is overly corny, but the show has some good moments and could be tweaked to make the story move faster and fill in more animals. I would like the animal show at the end to be longer, but still over-all I enjoy seeing the animals and it's worth a view. I'd give it a 7/10. Plus, in Florida a nice inside break in AC is always welcome during the hot afternoon.

Iceplorations, I give this show high rating for story line. It's comparable to a drama more so than a cheesy comedy. It's about a grandfather taking his grandchild (sometimes grand-daughter/ grand-son) on a world safari vacation to see animals and sites. I like the storyline, but I am female. I have taken many guests both sexes and almost everyone names this their favorite show at BGT. It has huskys, I think bobcat or lynx, and many types of birds. After the show you can greet some actors and the huskys. The skating and costumes are very nice, it's fast paced considering all the many scene and costume changes, plus it's always a nice break inside with AC during hot afternoons. I give this show 9/10.

Some people hate shows, but BGT and BGW's Irish dance show Celtic Fyre, are good theme park shows. I remember walking out of BGW's version of their animal show, and I am an animal lover, plus it was outside and not in AC. That does make a difference. I hope BGW considering changing that and their story was weak and slow. Celtic Fyre gets a 9/10 as well. I like BGT Belly dancer show too, which is inside a theater/restaurant foodcourt style venue. Getting food is optional. Nice costumes, good show, and the guys will love the beautiful and fit ladies. I give it a 7/10. Motor City Grooves gets a 7/10 also.

* BGT and SW parks sometimes has concerts during the year, even when it's not during special events, so be sure to read the park map for special shows/concerts. Even I have missed some. I also enjoy seeing Jack Hanna when he comes to BG and SW parks.

SWO Blue Horizon 9/10, Shamu 9/10 (it was a 10 before the changes with trainers not in water), Pets Ahoy 8.5/10 (they removed the tightrope walker cat ) Sealion show 8/10 (Pirate island show was better) and no mimes. The mimes need to return. Mimes get a 9.5/10 which is the highest score I give to any themepark act/show. Need a new cirque style show for Nautilus theater sitting empty too long.

Sorry, for awhile I forgot this was SWO thread, so I went back and added ratings for their shows.

Haha. I appreciate the effort, but trust me, I don't do shows unless 90% of the focus is on the animals. My wife likes this animal stuff way more than I do, but I can tolerate a nice break or change of pace. I enjoyed Williamsburg's pet show last summer, but I paid no attention to the plot. It was just cool to see adopted animals being well taken care of and doing tricks. If it involves dancing or singing I'd rather cut my balls off than sit through an entire performance. I literally remember being about six or seven years old and thinking shows were cheesy.

Hoping for a light crowd on Sunday. Any recent "how have the crowds been on Sundays" updates? I'm hoping kids will be starting to go back to school and less focused on parks.