TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Thanks for the review! I'm assuming it'll be better (in terms of forces and overall experience) than every B&M hyper in the U.S. except for maybe Goliath because it's been the by far standout of B&M hypers for me personally. I can't wait to ride it and see how it stacks up but based on this review it sounds solid and above average for B&M!

Thanks a lot for your great review! I haven't been on a B&M Hyper yet, so I don't want to get my hopes up too much- regardless, Mako sounds fantastic! Could you say what you thought of the positive g-forces (or specify them if you know), and which is the best overall seat for the ride? Thanks a million

Good positive Gs at the bottom of the first drop and other large hills. But the emphasis was definitely on negative Gs. I'd say it's a front seat ride for the best airtime and sense of speed, the back provided the best drops and a more intense ride overall. I didn't get to try any of the middle rows besides row 2.

Mako felt more aggressive and forceful than other B&M hypers I've ridden. I don't mean to oversell it - it's certainly no El Toro. Keep your expectations in check. But it's better than I was anticipating.

I was lucky enough to ride Mako 7 times during the preview day yesterday. 3x in front, 2x in 2nd row, and 2x in back.

Overall it is a fantastic ride! Easily the best B&M hyper I've experienced and I'd even say it's a strong contender for best coaster in Orlando. For reference, other B&M hypers I've ridden are Apollo's Chariot, Diamondback, Nitro, and Raging Bull. Mako reminded me of an improved and refined version of Nitro, with better forces and pacing.

I'll attempt to review it element by element:

First off, the lift hill felt pretty fast for a chain lift and provided a nice view of Orlando. First drop is great and decently steep for 200'. The back row is excellent here, I was catapulted out of my seat for the entire duration of the drop. Large overbanked turn is quick and fun with a bit of hangtime. The first large parabola hill provides fantastic airtime, strongest I've experienced on a B&M. The hammerhead turnaround felt similar to those on Diamondback & Nitro, but a little tighter. The next parabola hill provides great floater air. The trim was on every time I rode, unfortunately. It's a light tap, but it was noticeable. Next hill continues the floater airtime ending with a banked dive towards the water. Nitro has a similar shaped hill, but I've never gotten airtime on it like I did on Mako's. Next up is the speed hill - definitely one of my favorite elements on the ride. It provided long sustained airtime in every seat I rode in, just pure bliss. Then a small pop of airtime brings us into the MCBR.

The MCBR was little hit and miss for me. I had 5 rides where the MCBR was barely on, and 2 rides where it slowed us down quite a bit. They're obviously still testing it, so we'll have to wait and see where it ends up. But it really is a terrific finale if the train has that extra speed. The airtime hill after the MCBR is the weakest of the entire ride and is similar to the final hills on Nitro or Diamondback. The 90 degree banked turn into the park is awesome and provides a pop of sideways airtime if the MCBR didn't slow you down too much. Then you break through some beautiful shipwreck theming into another banked turn that gracefully dives towards the water and up into the final break run.

Overall, it's a magnificent ride with great airtime, nice pacing, and a wonderful location over the water. My favorite B&M hyper yet and I can't wait to see it with all the construction and theming elements finished.

Fantastic review! B&M seems to be stepping up their game. The burning question however: was there any ejector-air on those hills, cause that'd be a first for B&M in my book.

BTW, I don't know if you were just one of few people who rode Mako that day, but how were the dispatches? Just curious.

Glad to finally read a review on Mako. Sounds fun! I was at SeaWorld in February. I'm so tempted to come back now this year just to ride that one coaster...But it'll probably be next year. It's the only B&M hyper I haven't rode in the US.

Count me in as somebody else who thinks it's NEVER a waste of time to go to Orlando! I love that place, and frankly, wouldn't mind living down there! Also, Sea World beats any of the Disney parks, at least for me personally!

And Mako a clone of Nitro??? For shame...

I wouldn't compare Sea World to Disney because they're so different, but if you're a big-time animal lover I don't think it's unreasonable at all to prefer Sea World. I love Sea World for the laid back atmosphere compared to the other Orlando parks, the great animal exhibits and shows and because Manta is probably Orlando's best coaster.

Hulk says hi.

Hulk isn't even the best coaster at IoA in my opinion!

I have a quick question. My girlfriend and I will be heading down to Florida to check out SeaWorld and Universal (both parks) for the first time (July 17th-July 20th). Do the coasters/rides have long lines at SeaWorld? Which day would be least crowded day to check out SeaWorld and should we buy fast passes for all the rides? Thanks a lot and I appreciate everyone's feedback! I can't wait for Mako and ughh I just saw that you have to buy a separate fast pass for that ride!

Wow. They are pulling a 'six flags magic mountain' on the mako quick queue. One time use and separate from the wristband for $25 per person. Nothing wrong with it, and I'm sure people will buy it... but still..

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm going to Florida to check out SeaWorld and Universal July 17th-July 20th... Do you think I should purchase fast passes for coasters/rides at Seaworld? I was wondering if the lines for the rides were long.

Florida in July is brutal. Hot, humid, and crowded! I would buy the quick queue and think it was money well spent if it helped me even miss 60 seconds of extra queue that time of year.

Yeah my Busch / Sea World philosophy on hot days is that quick queue is worth it if for no other reason than you can ride the water rides as much as you want without having to stand in the sun. It's worth it just as an "Unlimited Journey to Atlantis rides" pass when it's this hot.

I think if you are dependent on a ride there you may not want to try to dictate terms on how early you leave. best of luck and I hope you're able to find a ride.

Just took two rides on Mako. Here are my thoughts....

- Very similar to other B&M hypers.

- Lots of floaty airtime

- Keeps it speed pretty well throughout the entire ride.

- Except for the trim, it honestly hits that pretty hard.

- All three trains were running.

- Rode once in the very back and once in the very front - Front seat had a *little* stronger floater over some hills, back had better airtime coming down the drop.

- Not "big person friendly." Saw a few people get rejected.

- My first ride I rode glasses with straps (Pivothead camera) and then the second ride I was told "no glasses even with straps." A ride op supervisor told me after the second ride "We just changed the rules on the fly because someone lost a pair of prescription glasses [without a strap.]" He said they are evaluating this rule, but I really hope they do allow glasses with straps because that's kind of lame if they don't, IMO.

Overall, if you like B&M hypers with lots of floaty airtime, you'll love Mako! It's a great addition to the park and everyone came off very excited about the ride so I think it will do amazing things for the park which they really need right now!

Edited by robbalvey

Looks like a great ride, I love the overhead fish tank projections before leaving the station, nice little touch.

I sure hope you're right about it doing great things for the park, just seems like my past several trips to SeaWorld Manta and Kraken were both 15 minutes to a walk on all day long even on crowded days, hopefully this thing has some sustained popularity and keeps bringing people back through the gates.

My first ride I rode glasses with straps (Pivothead camera) and then the second ride I was told "no glasses even with straps." A ride op supervisor told me after the second ride "We just changed the rules on the fly because someone lost a pair of prescription glasses [without a strap.]" He said they are evaluating this rule, but I really hope they do allow glasses with straps because that's kind of lame if they don't, IMO.
My skydiving instructor and I are cracking up over this. Do you have a strap that you can cinch tight? I can see why just a strap is insufficient, but with the strap tight around your head...really???

My first ride I rode glasses with straps (Pivothead camera) and then the second ride I was told "no glasses even with straps." A ride op supervisor told me after the second ride "We just changed the rules on the fly because someone lost a pair of prescription glasses [without a strap.]" He said they are evaluating this rule, but I really hope they do allow glasses with straps because that's kind of lame if they don't, IMO.
My skydiving instructor and I are cracking up over this. Do you have a strap that you can cinch tight? I can see why just a strap is insufficient, but with the strap tight around your head...really???

Yes, it's a strap that tightens around my head. I've been on over 1,500 roller coasters in the world and I've encountered *MAYBE* 50 rides that they wouldn't allow glasses on, even with a strap. In fact, you can wear glasses with a strap on the other two B&Ms at SeaWorld so why not this one? Like I said, I hope that rule changes because it seems sort of silly.