TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I've never seen a BM invert that has trims or MCBR. I know Silver Bullet doesn't and is forceful as heck. It was built in 2004.

Montu, Alpengiest, Pyreenes, Katun, Monster, and Raptor say hi.

Raptor blew straight through the mid brake last time I checked

Doesn't disqualify it as a mid-course... It's there for blocking first, braking second.

Yeah, the OP's point is still invalid. Alpengeist hits that sh*t hard, and honestly has to, the way the trains rattle anymore.

I've never seen a BM invert that has trims or MCBR. I know Silver Bullet doesn't and is forceful as heck. It was built in 2004.

Did no one notice that he mentioned Silver Bullet as' "forceful as heck." When did this happen? I always thought of Silver Bullet as B&M invert light. When did they install said forces on in? I'll be riding it again next week, so I can experience these previously non-existent forces myself. I'm hoping you're right, it's been 2 years, perhaps they installed forces on it. I don't recall it going down for extended force implementation. Maybe they did it at night when no one was paying attention. I can just imagine all the daily park goers showing up one morning and freaking out about the drastic changes that Knott's did to Silver Bullet over night that suddenly made it forceful.

Did no one notice that he mentioned Silver Bullet as' "forceful as heck." When did this happen? I always thought of Silver Bullet as B&M invert light. When did they install said forces on in? I'll be riding it again next week, so I can experience these previously non-existent forces myself. I'm hoping you're right, it's been 2 years, perhaps they installed forces on it. I don't recall it going down for extended force implementation. Maybe they did it at night when no one was paying attention. I can just imagine all the daily park goers showing up one morning and freaking out about the drastic changes that Knott's did to Silver Bullet over night that suddenly made it forceful.

I certainly did, but we have enough argueing about strippers right now.

His post was a little crazy. Using Silver Bullet as an example was the last straw in his credibilty..

From what I can tell after riding Banshee and Thunderbird, B&M has recently made changes to the aggressiveness of their coasters. I don't think they're trying to be Intamin or RMC. I believe they're just finding perhaps the perfect formula for them which may be somewhere between the 90's coasters, which were too intense for some, and early 2000's coasters, which are not intense enough for some. I like where they're at right now and I'm sure they're making exactly the coasters they want to make at this time. The idea that they're trying to baby step it back to the Kumba days seems silly to me.

:lol: I must be riding a different Alpengeist than everyone else. So smooth... so awesome... so forceful.

Maybe it's because while you were riding it you weren't trying to judge it against every coaster you'd ever been on?

They also took the sand from the structure to make it louder again.

B&M doesn't build the coasters they want. They build what the parks ask for.

Parks can change programming on ride controls, brake systems, etc.

B&M certainly is not to blame for a train crawling across a mcbr.

Well, that's partially true.

Parks run the coasters according to the manufacturer's specification. So, if the ride was designed to run at X speed, the park is not allowed to alter the hardware (trains, brakes, sensors) without risking losing the manufacturer's "warranty".

Otherwise, ask Europa Park how they got denied when they tried to run Silver Star without trims during a fan event years ago. B&M flat out refused to allow that and EP agreed not to. I know this is not exactly the same scenario but I am sure B&M have done enough calculations to know what speed the train should go at every inch of the track.

B&M doesn't build the coasters they want. They build what the parks ask for.

Parks can change programming on ride controls, brake systems, etc.

B&M certainly is not to blame for a train crawling across a mcbr.

Well, that's partially true.

Parks run the coasters according to the manufacturer's specification. So, if the ride was designed to run at X speed, the park is not allowed to alter the hardware (trains, brakes, sensors) without risking losing the manufacturer's "warranty".

Otherwise, ask Europa Park how they got denied when they tried to run Silver Star without trims during a fan event years ago. B&M flat out refused to allow that and EP agreed not to. I know this is not exactly the same scenario but I am sure B&M have done enough calculations to know what speed the train should go at every inch of the track.

There is a boundary of what is allowed by the manufacture and what isn't. It isn't a "single only option" one size fits all thing most of the time. They can't make it go faster than what the manufacture says is safe, however (especially with MCBR which are designed to come to a complete stop and still allow a completion of the circuit safely) the park can go as fast or as slow as they want, so long as they don't go past the upper threshold of what is safe. Usually such changes are done by the computer though, not park staff. Trimming runs on the timing of the train in front of the current train. If the train in front goes too slow, the current train trims less etc. And yes, 99% of the time a park will check with the manufacture before making any changes to the ride. (Although if you ever have the privilege to see the manufacture handbook of one of these rides, it's INSANE how much detail and variable allowance there is in those things vs. the trimmed down SOP for ops).

Speaking of, there was an interesting time when I was working on Alpengeist where something was going wonky with the crown trims. One train would crawl through the crown trims so slowly that you'd almost think it was coming to a complete stop. It was going so slow, we were actually getting a timeout fault before the train reached the block brakes. Then the train after it wouldn't trim on the crown at all and got a timing fault when it got to the block brakes way too soon. There's something like a 3 second tolerance of when the computer expects a train to clear a block. It kept bouncing back and forth between too fast and too slow, unable to strike a balance. To make sure it was the brakes and not a train causing it, maintenance actually took the ride down to one train test cycles (the only time I saw a B&M run one train) and watched the problem persist. It was definitely one of the top five most peculiar ways I've seen a ride behave.

Regardless of what happens with the trim break and MCBR, everything leading up to the trim looks good...really good. Plus, I can't wait to try out that speed hill! I can still hardly believe that SeaWorld Orlando built a hyper coaster, let alone Manta and Kraken. What a time to be alive!

With an MCBR, the second half of the coaster is bound to be less exciting than the first.

T Express MCBR is quite early in the ride, pretty much after the first two hills and a turn, which is great since I've seen them run 3 trains without stacking, although on a couple times we ended up stopped on the MCBR for a few seconds and lost the momentum.

Check out this video y'all.

(credit to Mako Madness!)

The MCBR brakes seem to be on; the ride is running a little slower than in the first test run video we all saw. Now, THIS is the speed I think the ride will be running at (maybe even a little slower). I can tell the difference, but it's not that bad. I think the trim first return hill is on too. Not too bad, eh? Still looks a lot faster than any other B&M hyper!

Well that didn't take long to go from fast airtime filled speed demon to classic Boring and Mundane I should have known that POV vid was just too good to be true and like others were saying B&M has never let one of their coasters run wild why would they start now and from this vid you can see that they are not starting now lol

The pacing of that second half looks absolute lame now imo I hope since this is still very early in the testing all the dials aren't set in the correct positions b/c hopefully that speed dial is turned back up a notch or two

I'm actually not convinced this is running at a terribly different speed. The POV is a forced perspective since it has a fisheye lense and is mounted closer to the track than the riders head. The off ride is in line with what I'd expect to see based on the first pov. When I get home I'm going to run a side by side of the two videos to see how much, if any difference there is.

All the anti-B&M, "Forceless" people never fail to give me my daily dose of eye-roll!

Mako looks awesome, both in terms of its appearance, and also the ride experience it will deliver! I can't wait to get down there and ride it again, hopefully in a year or so!

It's really not that much different on the first half. However, I can tell you that trim and mcbr are going to grab this summer because the trains will be hauling. However, looks can be decieving. Fury's trim hits hard and you definitely can feel it decelerate. I'm scared to ride that ride without that trim on. The airtime is already insane.

Does anyone even know if the trains were weighted during the POV? They are now and it still looks to be hauling a$$ (for a B&M, anyway). The slowdown at the MCBR isn't horrible at least and the first half is unaffected so far - a first half I'm expecting to be killer.

Yup, they were. Once they take the dummies out, it'll run a little slower. But that's none of our concern because when we get on, it most likely won't be an empty train. Nevertheless, I'll be on in December and I'm already thrilled!

Might see you there...