TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

We all know what we're going to get with this ride because it's a B&M...a fun, above average, but not mind blowing ride with floater airtime, so I'm not sure why we are investing so much time in discussing trims and MCBR's.

We all know what we're going to get with this ride because it's a B&M...a fun, above average, but not mind blowing ride with floater airtime, so I'm not sure why we are investing so much time in discussing trims and MCBR's.

Good point.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Mako (I like Fury 325 at Carowinds quite a bit too).

The last few years of B&M rides have been far better than their last 10 year average I think. Thunderbird, Banshee, and Fury all seem way more aggressive and faster paced than a lot of the newer B&Ms. Thunderbird really shocked me with its pacing. I think Sea World even went with the shorter trains because they wanted this ride to zip along the course and so far it looks like it's delivering!

When you're running more than 2 trains a MCBR is pretty necessary for capacity more so than loading. But they do coincide

Fury and Banshee don't have MCBR and they're capacity monsters

Fury sort of does. The elevated flat brake run on both Fury and Leviathan both act as the mcbr despite being at the end of the ride.

I'm hoping Mako has as much if not more floater airtime as Apollos Chariot. I could just ride that all day.

Off topic: I don't know why, but I was really let down by Apollo. I'm not one of the anti-B&M people and I thoroughly enjoy B&M hypers. Maybe I'm spoiled by countless rides on Diamondback, but I found it extremely underwhelming. I may have set my expectations to high. Or, maybe I was still shell shocked by I-305, which on the other hand, I didn't enjoy to the fullest extent because I thought it was too much.

^ I haven't had the chance yet to ride Diamondback. Most likely this summer. I was surprised by Apollo because I had no expectations and hadn't read any reviews. After riding Diamod,my opinion of AC may change. 305 is a whole different monster and I can see why some people dont' care for it, even though I could ride that one all day too. But that's whats fun about this hobby. Always a new coaster to try.

I didn't say they were lying, but we have zero evidence to believe that B&M would let a hyper run balls out like this. It hasn't ever happened, why would this be the first time? Most of the general public will never realize that what they experience in person will not match that video but still... kinda odd to release it this way.

...It would be too much for most GP to handle, unfortunately... Every GP I've talked to thinks that the B&M hyper at my home park (which has many trim, along with an MCBR), is the most intense ride ever.

^ That seems really hard for me to believe that parks are going into the control systems of modern multi-million dollar coasters and making changes themselves. So far out of all of the operating B&M hypers they all opened w/ the same amount of trimming that they use today. None of them pass a trim without it hitting, none of them hit an MCBR without slowing, and none of them operate w/ the 100% "hard" wheels on a daily basis.

I don't see why anyone believes that B&M suddenly just had a change of mind after 17 years of making hyper coasters where they decided to suddenly let them run free.

Well, I've personally worked on a B&M, spoken to Claude several times, and spoken at length with many of the install team members at B&M several times, and I don't know what to tell you other than you're wrong. First and foremost, B&M coasters often haul A$$ in their opening year and get tuned down later, and I'll post a video example in a minute. Many changes made to coasters are done in consultation of the manufacture, but I promise adjusting various things about the rides not only is within the capabilities of the parks, but I've seen it in person. As you stated, these are multi million dollar machines. You better believe the manufacture is going to do whatever the park asks them to do to the product. You better believe the park that owns it has completely control over what they do to it. What, you think if they want something changes, they have to go ask permission first? Do you call Honda up before adding after market parts to your car? Yes, in many cases they consult with the manufacture before making changes, but it's something they can and will do. Also, you better believe the maintenance workers on these rides can do just about anything to them, just the same way a third party mechanic that isn't your car dealer can change things about your car for you.

These kinds of changes happen at parks all the time. For example, Loch Ness Monster had it's first lift chain speed tuned down to help with loading times of disabled guests. Alpengeist trims a lot more now than it used to, both at the crown and on the MCBR. (Here's a video of Alpengeist opening year to prove it

... God I miss going on the ride at this pacing) Drachen Fire had the anti-rollback device modified in 1993 to be completely silent due to guest complaints. Just about every single Arrow coaster ever built trims more now than it did at opening.

One last note, as many others have said, you can hear the brakes firing in the video. They aren't off. You can LITERALLY hear them. I'm not sure why you've convinced yourself they are completely off, when there's video evidence they are on.

Is that also why B&M stopped making forceful coasters? Every time I go to a park with a BTR clone, none of the GP I'm with will ride or more than once.

I highly doubt the park will allow Mako to run this way with the general public on board. If they do, it's an absolute blessing from the coaster gods!

It would also be remarkable if B&M was sick and tired of seeing RMC and Intamin let their coasters run hog wild, and decided it was time to man-up to the challenge for their coasters to be ran all out as well. No doubt many B&M coaster would have higher ratings if they laid off the trims and MCBR's and just let the rides run without the ridiculous controls on pacing.

I highly doubt the park will allow Mako to run this way with the general public on board. If they do, it's an absolute blessing from the coaster gods!

It would also be remarkable if B&M was sick and tired of seeing RMC and Intamin let their coasters run hog wild, and decided it was time to man-up to the challenge for their coasters to be ran all out as well. No doubt many B&M coaster would have higher ratings if they laid off the trims and MCBR's and just let the rides run without the ridiculous controls on pacing.

The sad part is... They used to... I feel pretty lucky to have one of the last BTR clones that were made (was built about 15 years ago) just a few hours drive from me. That's the newest forceful coaster I can think of off the top of my head.

Makes you wonder why they stopped making their coasters run balls-to-the-walls like they used to. My guess is it's to reduce wear and tear on the coaster, but I could be completely wrong about that.

The sad part is... They used to... I feel pretty lucky to have one of the last BTR clones that were made (was built about 15 years ago) just a few hours drive from me. That's the newest forceful coaster I can think of off the top of my head.

Makes you wonder why they stopped making their coasters run balls-to-the-walls like they used to. My guess is it's to reduce wear and tear on the coaster, but I could be completely wrong about that.

I've never seen a BM invert that has trims or MCBR. I know Silver Bullet doesn't and is forceful as heck. It was built in 2004.

I've never seen a BM invert that has trims or MCBR. I know Silver Bullet doesn't and is forceful as heck. It was built in 2004.

Montu, Alpengiest, Pyreenes, Katun, Monster, and Raptor say hi.

That made me think of a Donald Trump fan... all it takes is a few moments of thinking and you realize you're wrong

Raptor blew straight through the mid brake last time I checked

Raptor blew straight through the mid brake last time I checked

Doesn't disqualify it as a mid-course... It's there for blocking first, braking second.