TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I also feel betrayed that they seemingly caved in too easily.

I'd love to job shadow the PR employees at SeaWorld, my goodness, their jobs are tougher than a two-dollar steak. Evolving cultural expectations have turned up the pressure, and I think SeaWorld tried to hold its position as long as it could. Meanwhile, there will continue to be voices out there citing betrayal on the premise that what SeaWorld is doing isn't enough. If you have a good time at the parks, I hope you don't turn your back on them to spite the difficult position in which they unwittingly found themselves.

I worked for a Seaworld park last year and we were taught what to say if people said things that questioned captivity. Just seems like this move is going against all those reasons. One of the reasons, as we've said, is that it's a proven fact people care more about something if they've seen it in flesh and blood than if they just see it in a video. If all the orcas die out then a lot of people may never get to see them. Yes, it is true that there are only 3 Seaworld parks with orcas vs many places that there are orcas in the wild. However, if my own life is any indication of the general public, I've seen orcas at Seaworld many times and never a wild orca .

I, too, wondered if they might use the facilities in the future for rescue whales. They took in a rescue baby gray whale in the past rehabilitated her until she was ready to be released. However, I haven't heard of any situations where an orca was rescued and deemed "non-releasable." Maybe it'll happen and Seaworld will continue having orcas that way.

If not, then I feel bad for whichever orca ends up being the last orca at Seaworld

My biggest problem with that argument is that we are destroying their habitats with pollution, fishing, global warming, etc. so captivity where research and education could continue might actually be in their best interest....

While I don't disagree that there are significant issues with the way our world is being consumed by humans, I'm don't think this is a very good argument. With your logic, you might as well say that humans would be better off in solitary confinement in jail. It would remove issues of violence, hunger, health care, etc..

I think there is a place for zoos, aquariums, and SeaWorld, but to act like the removal of the orca shows is the end of happiness as we know it is incredibly selfish and short sighted. I love all of the research and rehabilitation SeaWorld does, but thousands of people aren't sitting in an arena to watch science and research. The patrons are sitting in the arenas to be entertained and splashed by mammoth creatures living in captivity.

There are a lot of people who would be better off in solitary confinement than out in the real world..

But aside from that, my point is that SeaWorld serves as a great educational platform to get the word out about all the problems marine animals face in the oceans. Everyone is so hung up on the captivity thing instead of focusing on the bigger issues at hand.

You are correct that many people aren't sitting in the arena to watch science and research (although last time I went to SeaWorld San Diego) the "behind the scenes" thing that focused on those aspects in Shamu Stadium before the actual shows for the day was quite full!), but it is that entertainment that funds research and conservation and allows people to form an emotional connection to the animals. Truth be told, I actually would prefer a show with less of a terrible story line and more emphasis on education/research while still incorporating some of the staple tricks Shamu is known for (splashing, jumping).

I keep harping on the emotional connection, because that's exactly how myself and my sister got hooked. For a long period of my childhood, I actually wanted to become a marine biologist/animal trainer because my parents took me to Sea World for the first time and we did the Dine with Shamu dinner. The impact of seeing Shamu up close in that environment instantly made me more passionate about learning everything I could about marine biology.

Ultimately, I think the phrase "out of sight, out of mind" applies once the final orca passes. Of course, since that should be 50 or so years from now, it's impossible to predict what the future may hold. What's true in 2016 may not be so by the time the last orca is at a SeaWorld. It's entirely possible technology will still allow us to form that emotional connection because VR technology has advanced so much. It's also entirely possible people may be running back to SeaWorld to help because the continued effects of all things we do to destroy the environment have caught up to the orca population around the world...

Edited by Jew

If they live for 40+ years even a change in CEO's or even new owners could put them back into a breeding situation if the powers to be decide to do so in the future. Maybe by that time a lot of these activist numbskulls will be a faded memory. I guess we can hope attitudes will change by the time the first whale passes on. Only God knows what the future will truly hold.

Dark rides have become so advanced now that you really don´t need live animals in order to give guests an immersive and educational experience. Plus, if I´m going to SeaWorld, I´m going for Mako, Manta, and Kraken for the most part. To put it simply: It will still be a great park even without dancing whales.

So you're saying Antarctica would not lose anything if one day SeaWorld decided to close the live penguin habitat and just have the dark ride? Good luck finding anyone who'd agree with that. As I recall, most people would prefer to skip the ride entirely if they could.

I'm still trying to understand how it's "cruel" to have animals in enclosures like this as opposed to being out in the wild. Isn't nature the most cruel environment there is? When babies are born at SeaWorld, a baby penguin for example, that baby suddenly becomes one of the most well cared for baby penguins in the world. In the wild, that baby could be picked off by a predator. How is that not cruel? Now, by extension this argument says all animals could be put in captivity to prevent cruelty of nature, but of course that would be preposterous and impossible to actually do. This position of captivity = cruelty is equally preposterous in my opinion.

^ Yup. Makes no sense. Just goes to show you how stupid the world has become.

Yup thats the new generation. Bitch and moan until there is literally nothing fun left.

What's worse is that some people are basically saying that Seaworld should euthanize their orcas. So apparently it's cruel to keep orcas in enclousers, but it's totally fine for them to be put down long before they need to be.

^Peta actually recommends euthanasia over no kill shelters From the hypocrites themselves

I understand that the public's tastes change, and that younger people don't want to see animals perform stunts. Fine, SeaWorld has to adapt to survive, but as we've seen from the statements from SeaWorlds critics, it isn't enough. They will not stop until SeaWorld, and zoos in general are shut down. To see the bs that gets thrown at SeaWorld as well as the hypocrisy of PETA and armchair activists is truly infuriating.

I saw this decision coming a while ago, especially after Ringling Bros ended elephant performances. Unfortunately, slick documentaries, evem if factually dubious, can move from preaching to the choir to changing the world. Sometimes the stupid wins.

That said, SeaWorld hurt their cause even further, and gave credence to PETA with some of their PR stunts like sending spies to animal rights groups and spam voting online polls in support of SeaWorld.

Edited by Airtime&Gravity

I think the best solution would have been to just end shows and bring in their new education experience, gradually expand the tanks and make them more natural and finally I would just take out artificial insemination and just let them breed naturally. I think the combination of these things would have taken a huge weight off of their shoulders. To make such a BIG announcement out of thin air is really dangerous and as others have said, who really knows where in 30 years this proposition will be. It could just be changed with the next CEO.

I saw this decision coming a while ago, especially after Ringling Bros ended elephant performances. Unfortunately, slick documentaries, evem if factually dubious, can move from preaching to the choir to changing the world. Sometimes the stupid wins.

That said, SeaWorld hurt their cause even further, and gave credence to PETA with some of their PR stunts like sending spies to animal rights groups and spam voting online polls in support of SeaWorld.

I actually agree with the Elephants being removed. That I don't think has much educational value, nor could you really say that traveling around the country on a train and spending much of their life in sports arena parking lots qualified as a great environment.

SeaWorld has always had a clear educational agenda with the entertainment piece. I also agree that they completely botched how they handled the situation, culminating with the reversal of their stance.

To me this is an incredibly selfish way of thinking. What kind of real connection are you able to get with an orca whale in a gigantic arena with thousands of other people? One could also argue that these "scant few regions of the world" where you can see orcas or other whales in the wild are as or more accessible than 3 land locked SeaWorld locations in the USA. Also, if you think what you are seeing at SeaWorld or any zoo/aquarium is seeing "the real thing" than I'm not sure what to say... I have seen many shows on tv or youtube that are far more insightful and educational than anything I've seen at a zoo or aquarium.

While I don't disagree that there are significant issues with the way our world is being consumed by humans, I'm don't think this is a very good argument. With your logic, you might as well say that humans would be better off in solitary confinement in jail. It would remove issues of violence, hunger, health care, etc..

I think there is a place for zoos, aquariums, and SeaWorld, but to act like the removal of the orca shows is the end of happiness as we know it is incredibly selfish and short sighted. I love all of the research and rehabilitation SeaWorld does, but thousands of people aren't sitting in an arena to watch science and research. The patrons are sitting in the arenas to be entertained and splashed by mammoth creatures living in captivity.

I can understand your point of view, but I also disagree with it. I did not become interested in aviation from reading aviation books (and I read plenty of them) and watching TV shows growing up. I became interested in it because my dad took me to airshows and plane spotting at airports. I didn't become interested in science from reading books about physics, etc. I became interested from building and launching model rockets, remote control airplanes, doing chemistry experiments, etc. There is no argument that can be made against seeing things in person, being close, and even better direct physical contact. That type of connection cannot be made, not even close, through a television or on paper.

SeaWorld provides that type of direct connection with orcas, dolphins, sharks, etc. that many people would never otherwise have the opportunity to get. I agree that there are those that are there for the sheer entertainment of it - heck, I'm entertained when I go. But there are those (myself included) that are utterly fascinated by it on a level far above sheer entertainment. You cannot deny that the experience that some (if not many) people get at SeaWorld has an incredible and tangible positive benefit.

The experiences I got growing up from direct connection to science and nature made me interested in medicine, and I now routinely care for patients ranging from 23 weeks gestational age to the elderly in intensive care units. Taking away access to experiences such as those that SeaWorld provides will have a detrimental effect on our society, I have no doubt about it. Needless to say, I am disappointed in the announcement and hope that it will soon be reversed. In the meantime, I am glad I can take my boys there and see them before they're gone, if it reaches that point. I was able to take my oldest there this past summer and seeing his reaction was priceless - I couldn't help but imagine the completely innocent fascination, wonder, and awe he felt there.

If there was no SeaWorld, would any of us have EVER seen an Orca in person? I know I wouldn't have. Sure, we could spend thousands of dollars to cruise Alaska to hopefully see one, but who can really afford to go out and do that? SeaWorld has provided a way for MILLIONS to see, and appreciate, amazing creatures that they would not have seen otherwise.

How do you expect people to appreciate not only the ocean, but these animals, if you never get to see them up close and personal? Otherwise it's all videos, photos, images on the internet that will NEVER compare to seeing one in real life. SeaWorld provides that for the public! And they do their best to research and take care of these mammals the best they can.

While I agree, these big fellas are not supposed to be in a tank, I feel having a couple of them in captivity to allow millions of people to see them in real life, and appreciate their majestic beauty, serves more good than bad. These dumbass activists against the park don't seem to realize that.

When you take away peoples ability to see these orca's firsthand, and appreciate them, you're really not helping anything, in fact, you're taking away the possibility of appreciation that would protect the rest of them around the world.

The whole thing is insane. Working for the company that owns our Sea World in Australia I know that a balance of entertainment and education can work really well.

Having said that, our Dolphin habitat is larger than what Seaworld in the US has for its Orcas. That I don't agree with, but what is crazy is PETA basically shut down your Seaworld expanding the Orca pools!!!

What else is just stupid from Seaworld's point of view is that this 'natural environment' they recon they are making looks all nice from the outside, but inside the pool it's still just a concrete tank. So it's hardly changing anything.

Just let Seaworld expand the pools to a more suitable size, and focus on a decent whilst entertaining show (I am very vey against that Shamu Rocks show which really did look like it was exploiting the animals). As everyone has said that engagement is what makes humans care about animals plight. It might be wrong that people don't give a shit about things they can't see in a zoo but it's the case. So to lose that engagement and thus care of the animals plight, it's a real tragedy. Especially because these captive animals don't know are meant to be out in the ocean. They just don't. Raise a child and never let them see the outside world, they won't know it exists.

What is hilarious about PETA is that they are focused on shutting down Seaworld which cares and loves it's animals, all the while we still ignore hundreds of dolphins slaughtered each year in Taiji.

This is the problem with an increasingly dumb, Facebook educated society where everyone jumps on a cause in ignorance.

It'll be 30 years before there are no orcas at the parks. In the meantime, they'll be presented improved enclosures and won't largely be seen just as props in a show. Half the people here will be dead before the orcas at Sea World are no more. I'm alright with this, definitely.

I was just at SeaWorld a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed One Ocean but I believe Blue Horizons is a better show. The reason is because trainers are still allowed in the tank with the dolphins where they are not with the killer whales. I've seen the show about 4 times. The best was when I saw it back in 1998. The next time was in 2011. The show just lost a lot when trainers stopped going in the water. Now seeing it two weeks ago, I could tell it had lost even more...The show just isn't what it used to be and I have no problem with it ending. If it can't be "Blow your mind amazing" like it used to be, then just go ahead and put it out of its misery and do something else. I support SeaWorld on this decision. Also while they are at it, they need to do something about the new clyde and seamore sealion high show...It was horrible. I miss the old show...it was so much better! But whatever, I still love SeaWorld. I can't wait to return and ride Mako when it opens. That coaster looks amazing!

The whole thing is insane. Working for the company that owns our Sea World in Australia I know that a balance of entertainment and education can work really well.

Having said that, our Dolphin habitat is larger than what Seaworld in the US has for its Orcas. That I don't agree with, but what is crazy is PETA basically shut down your Seaworld expanding the Orca pools!!!

What else is just stupid from Seaworld's point of view is that this 'natural environment' they recon they are making looks all nice from the outside, but inside the pool it's still just a concrete tank. So it's hardly changing anything.

Just let Seaworld expand the pools to a more suitable size, and focus on a decent whilst entertaining show (I am very vey against that Shamu Rocks show which really did look like it was exploiting the animals). As everyone has said that engagement is what makes humans care about animals plight. It might be wrong that people don't give a poo-poo about things they can't see in a zoo but it's the case. So to lose that engagement and thus care of the animals plight, it's a real tragedy. Especially because these captive animals don't know are meant to be out in the ocean. They just don't. Raise a child and never let them see the outside world, they won't know it exists.

What is hilarious about PETA is that they are focused on shutting down Seaworld which cares and loves it's animals, all the while we still ignore hundreds of dolphins slaughtered each year in Taiji.

This is the problem with an increasingly dumb, Facebook educated society where everyone jumps on a cause in ignorance.

This is the exact reason why I don't support animal rights groups. While I do think adequate treatment of animals in captivity is important, I feel that groups like PETA spend more time shaming major companies than focusing on much more serious matters. I'm fairly certain various countries in Asia have illegal whaling activity, yet activists gloss over that and complain about how horrible it is that Seaworld owns orcas.

In addition, many animal rights groups, espescially PETA ,have very odd ways of garnering support for their cause. For example, PETA went as far as to make flash games about Nintendo characters(Mario and the cast of Pokemon) abusing animals.

I think the best solution would have been to just end shows and bring in their new education experience, gradually expand the tanks and make them more natural and finally I would just take out artificial insemination and just let them breed naturally. I think the combination of these things would have taken a huge weight off of their shoulders. To make such a BIG announcement out of thin air is really dangerous and as others have said, who really knows where in 30 years this proposition will be. It could just be changed with the next CEO.

I agree with all of the above, especially since that they were already planning to cancel the orca shows. But what about those tank expansions the park announced about a year ago? Is there any info on that?

Exactly right. It's like folks who want to rant and rave and create laws against pollution in the US because of all the damage it's doing to the environment. But all you have to do is look across the ocean and see, it doesn't matter how much regulation or effort we put into fixing the pollution problems in America, if other countries around the globe are going to keep on doing what they're doing.

These activists have a hard time looking at the big picture. And instead of looking at the big picture, like to think they're making a difference by hurting the people and companies who really are very humane compared to what is going on around the rest of the globe.

Does shutting down Sea World stop the slaughter of Orcas, Dolphins, and marine environments around the world? NO. Does it prevent pollution and plastic from entering the oceans? NO. So why don't you focus on that, PETA, actually making a difference instead of constantly ripping farts and making everyone who's trying to do good smell them.