TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Ughhh I knew from the begging this would be bad. What is seaworld doing about blue world? It's pretty expensive and knowing it would possibly never have whales is it even worth it? Man I don't like peta...

I read that this morning. It is sad news, and I'm not sure how it will affect Seaworld. Possibly for the better, possibly for the worst. In my opinion, what makes Seaworld is the orcas. I know that they're given the uppermost care and they have everything they need, plus some. I wonder if it was in light of Tilikum's illness, their main breeder. Do orcas not breed naturally in captivity? If no, this is defiantly sad and Seaward is in for a loss.

Definitely a sad piece of news. I doubt anything less than the removal of all animals from the park will make the animal rights groups happy.

You can be sure that the Blackfish crazies will find a way to slam SeaWorld no matter what they do.

Ughhh I knew from the begging this would be bad. What is seaworld doing about blue world? It's pretty expensive and knowing it would possibly never have whales is it even worth it? Man I don't like peta... [emoji317]

Even if this is the last generation, they will be around for at least 30-40 more years, so Blue World will still probably be a good investment to continue the project forward.

They'll build the Blue World enclosures and after years, weigh the mood and rescue other orcas held at other parks much like Tillikum. It will be decades before they are Killer Whale less. They are just making them an aquarium attraction.

They'll build the Blue World enclosures and after years, weigh the mood and rescue other orcas held at other parks much like Tillikum. It will be decades before they are Killer Whale less. They are just making them an aquarium attraction.

This is not true. Seaworld has confirmed via Facebook that Blue World is no longer happening in the comment section

This is not true. Seaworld has confirmed via Facebook that Blue World is no longer happening in the comment section

No longer happening in name only, they may be dumping the name due to the issues around the cight for it at San Diego but the tanks sure seemed destined for similar modifications via the press release:

SeaWorld also will introduce new, inspiring, natural orca encounters, rather than theatrical shows, as part of its ongoing commitment to education, marine science research, and rescue of marine animals. These programs will focus on orca enrichment, exercise, and overall health. This change will start in its San Diego park next year, followed by San Antonio and then Orlando in 2019.

That sure seems like the timeline given for Blue World projects sans the name.

So instead of adding on to the existing structure like this pic shows

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGbJV8ilnaEKpdZLML498D_yS8HofviTkFhawwsSJljmrfYg0dLg

They will likely lose the stadium aspects, modify the existing tanks and reduce the overall size of the new "tank" because the show tank is nonlonger needed, thus freeing up space for more stuff either related to the orcas or not. This move may result in additional cost cutting from the original project announced last year.

Edited by ElvisLuv

It does seem they will still get larger more naturla tanks. But if they will be removing the theater parts of the enclosure, then I'm sure the whole project could be different then wheat was announced. I mean, it doesn't make sens to just leave the whales in the current enclosures with unused stadiums.

It does seem they will still get larger more naturla tanks. But if they will be removing the theater parts of the enclosure, then I'm sure the whole project could be different then wheat was announced. I mean, it doesn't make sens to just leave the whales in the current enclosures with unused stadiums.

Instead of new water aeas, you may just see a modification of the existing performance part of the tank. I see no way they ditch the current holding tanks and replace them with new ones and they'll still need those. Maybe the do built a new holding area but the stadium area will likely be the new natural habitat area and the additions in footprint will be greatly reduced from the Blue World proposals for the parks.

So when Joel Manby proclaimed that they "weren't going to be quiet anymore" and that they would be proactive in defending their reputation he basically meant that they would bow down to organizations that won't be satisfied no matter what they do anyway.

Next they'll bitch about the Belugas, and the Dolphins, and the Pilot Whales and basically everything except the fish and possibly Sea Turtles since they're non releasable. They'll bitch about the Dolphin show, they'll bitch about the Sea Lion show. The bitching won't end. I'm totally perplexed by this move.

Edit: Just looked around social media and everyone is now bitching about Belugas, Dolphins, Sea Lions and the fact that the whales need to be released into sea pens to die. I really want to know what they just accomplished. These people will never stop. You could release all the animals you have and then they would bitch about you selling non vegan hot dogs.

The thing that really saddens me all about this, is that a majority of the people who I've seen that have complained and bitched to SeaWorld are roughly young adults who just seem to just agree with anything they see online, neglecting to look up anything else on the subject or even SeaWorld's history itself. Some of them aren't even activists, some of them just... are doing it for the sake of wanting to be angry about something.

SeaWorld has literally just given in to people who not only can't be pleased at anything, but probably don't even know what they're actually doing or what accomplishment they want out of this...

I would imagine that this is the beginning of the end of Seaworld having live animals. I think it will be gradual, but over time there will be fewer and fewer live animal shows and attractions and more rides. Ultimately the only thing that will likely survive is the theme, SeaWorld itself is going to be a very different place.

As stated above, the park already said they are not going to continue with Blue World.

Here is some concept art of what we are to see in the future regarding the existing habitat:

https://seaworldcares.com/en/Future/Educational-Encounters/

They also stated the theatrical show will be phased out, but they will still be doing live educational "encounters" before a guest audience. Because they still plan to have an audience, the stadium's most likely are still going to be there...just redesigned.

edit: I am very saddened by this news. It feels as though some type of betrayal to those of us who have stood up and fought for SeaWorld against all the activists since Blackfish and even beyond. It's shocking that they gave in so easily. And this was obviously a recent decision since they announced earlier in the year they were going to take legal action against the California Coastal Commission for the breeding restrictions they placed on Blue World. I guess giving in was easier than fighting. It's sad. Although I want to trust that they know what they're doing and we are to expect really great things from the SeaWorld parks in the future, even without the Orca's. (decades down the line since many of the Orca's are still very young, and one is currently pregnant.)

Edited by TM3988

The thing that really saddens me all about this, is that a majority of the people who I've seen that have complained and bitched to SeaWorld are roughly young adults who just seem to just agree with anything they see online, neglecting to look up anything else on the subject or even SeaWorld's history itself. Some of them aren't even activists, some of them just... are doing it for the sake of wanting to be angry about something.

SeaWorld has literally just given in to people who not only can't be pleased at anything, but probably don't even know what they're actually doing or what accomplishment they want out of this...

I seriously agree with this post. The people that were complaining were NEVER going to visit SeaWorld regardless of if they end the breeding program or not. This was decision is just disappointing to SeaWorld's fans, the ones who are actually going to go to their parks.

I respect their business decision and hope it works out for the Sea World parks in the long run, but it feels a little like if Disney announced they were going to phase out Mickey Mouse.

Except Mickey Mouse is a fictional character and these whales are live creatures in captivity. Not a great analogy. However large we think these pools are, these whales lives are the equivalent to a person being born in a house and then living the rest of their life in one room of that house. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of PETA and thought that Blackfish was ridiculously heavy handed. However, as a compassionate human, it is always a little sad to see animals meant for vast spaces confined to a relatively small living environment.

I respect their business decision and hope it works out for the Sea World parks in the long run, but it feels a little like if Disney announced they were going to phase out Mickey Mouse.

Except Mickey Mouse is a fictional character and these whales are live creatures in captivity. Not a great analogy. However large we think these pools are, these whales lives are the equivalent to a person being born in a house and then living the rest of their life in one room of that house. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of PETA and thought that Blackfish was ridiculously heavy handed. However, as a compassionate human, it is always a little sad to see animals meant for vast spaces confined to a relatively small living environment.

I think its more reasonable to see it as the Orcas are becoming the Mickey Mouse. In the hopefully long future, it will just be people in whale costumes in a water themed Disney park basically.

However large we think these pools are, these whales lives are the equivalent to a person being born in a house and then living the rest of their life in one room of that house. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of PETA and thought that Blackfish was ridiculously heavy handed. However, as a compassionate human, it is always a little sad to see animals meant for vast spaces confined to a relatively small living environment.

The problem is this logic can be applied to any aquarium anywhere in the world, and to zoos as well by extension. May as well shut them all down.

This announcement by SeaWorld is a victory for dishonesty, for demagoguery, for propaganda, and the ignorance of future generations. Now nobody's going be able to make any real connection at all with killer whales and marine life without binoculars and a charter boat in a scant few regions of the world, or via the internet. Watching a YouTube video or educational film is no substitute for seeing the real thing with your own eyes, but I guess that's not important anymore. Guess the activists will be happy when killer whales' reputation reverts back to the days when they were feared and hunted.

However large we think these pools are, these whales lives are the equivalent to a person being born in a house and then living the rest of their life in one room of that house. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of PETA and thought that Blackfish was ridiculously heavy handed. However, as a compassionate human, it is always a little sad to see animals meant for vast spaces confined to a relatively small living environment.

The problem is this logic can be applied to any aquarium anywhere in the world, and to zoos as well by extension. May as well shut them all down.

This announcement by SeaWorld is a victory for dishonesty, for demagoguery, for propaganda, and the ignorance of future generations. Now nobody's going be able to make any real connection at all with killer whales and marine life without binoculars and a charter boat in a scant few regions of the world, or via the internet. Watching a YouTube video or educational film is no substitute for seeing the real thing with your own eyes, but I guess that's not important anymore. Guess the activists will be happy when killer whales' reputation reverts back to the days when they were feared and hunted.

This times 10000000000000000000000000x well said.

This pretty much sucks.

I love learning about animals, their habitats and personalities...and have ever since I was a kid.

Heck, my dream as a kid was to become a veterinarian until my parents broke the news that they couldn't support the eight years of college that I would have to attend to become one. And then when they said eight more years of school, I was like, "Ummm, no thank you...I'll just go to zoos and places like Sea World and admire them there."

Yes, there have been some zoos that I have been to where I felt compassion & sadness for animals because their cages & roaming areas seemed just too small. But in the case of Sea World, that wasn't the case at all.

Heck even Marineland has a pretty big exhibit for their killer whales since they quit doing those shows many moons ago. But it's almost like the whales were put out to pasture to die or something...they really didn't look as "happy" during our last visit as what I remember seeing when they were entertaining people and getting real human interaction. I think that the whales actually like entertaining and being spoiled by their trainers. Who wouldn't crave that extra attention versus just swimming around a big pool and getting fed a couple times a day?