TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

As for the coaster itself, I feel like a B&M Hyper is just too safe. Something like Skyrush would be so marketable especially since this is clearly shark themed.

I don't see how a B&M wouldn't be as marketable as an Intamin?

Um...Intamins are simply better?

I agree that B&M is too safe for the competition in Orlando especially SWO already has a flyer. SWO needs manageable innovations so Intamin is the right choice when going above 200ft. They have plenty of experience and they don't do the same thing over and over again.

I hate when people say things like that. Over 20 coasters are extremely similar to each other.

I missed the dark ride concepts until recently, you have to think those might be replacements for the Wild Arctic attractions in San Diego and Orlando.

I dont think thats big enough to fit a dark ride Maybe somewhere by the dolphin area or Nautilus Theater as they been working there way around the park in that direction for new rides like Antarctica Mako. Or they could destroy the barn where the horses use to and turn that area into a dark ride

I don't understand the whole more marketable thing. It's Orlando. No offense to Intamin but B&M is more reliable then Intamin and usually has more capacity. Is it safe? Yes but people come anyway. Tourists just see new and tallest in Orlando

This. If it turns out better and isn't Thunder Dolphin, that means what? The bulk of the good work Mako needs to do is in year one drawing people, and the best way it can draw people is by reliably working and providing a quality ride. It'll probably be the best coaster in Florida: that's OK with me.

I don't understand the whole more marketable thing. It's Orlando. No offense to Intamin but B&M is more reliable then Intamin and usually has more capacity. Is it safe? Yes but people come anyway. Tourists just see new and tallest in Orlando

This. If it turns out better and isn't Thunder Dolphin, that means what? The bulk of the good work Mako needs to do is in year one drawing people, and the best way it can draw people is by reliably working and providing a quality ride. It'll probably be the best coaster in Florida: that's OK with me.

No dude, I talked to so many people that totally said "to hell with SWO" the second they found out Mako was a B&M. My next door neighbor got tickets for the whole family in anticipation of Mako being a Not B&M (Not B&M is his favorite manufacturer by far), so when he found out that this wasn't the case, he walked around looking for homeless people to give the tickets to but they wouldn't take them; not even as fuel for their garbage fires when it gets cold. One of them even chased him off with a shopping cart. My other neighbor is a PETA member and her favorite movies are Free Willy, Free Willy 3, and Blackfish (she tried to run me over once after she found out that I had a pet goldfish when I was like 8). She still loved Seaworld and went there once a month. Until Mako was a B&M.

So really, the only thing SWO is marketing by Mako being a B&M is a 10+ hour road trip to the nearest Intamin Hyper 750 miles away, something that every reasonable tourist in Orlando will do the moment they walk up to SWO's gates and see that Mako is a B&M.

Edited by Ed Farmer

No dude, I talked to so many people that totally said "to hell with SWO" the second they found out Mako was a B&M. My next door neighbor got tickets for the whole family in anticipation of Mako being a Not B&M (Not B&M is his favorite manufacturer by far), so when he found out that this wasn't the case, he walked around looking for homeless people to give the tickets to but they wouldn't take them; not even as fuel for their garbage fires when it gets cold. One of them even chased him off with a shopping cart. My other neighbor is a PETA member and her favorite movie is Blackfish (she tried to run me over once after she found out that I had a pet goldfish when I was like 8). She still loved Seaworld and went there once a month. Until Mako was a B&M.

So really, the only thing SWO is marketing by Mako being a B&M is a 10+ hour road trip to the nearest Intamin Hyper 750 miles away, something that every reasonable tourist in Orlando will do the moment they walk up to SWO's gates and see that Mako is a B&M.

:applause and fire emojis:

I have never been to SeaWorld however I think this is an interesting move by the park. At first they seemed resolved to fight the regulation but now they are just completely capitulating to the demands of the over zealous government. I think that SeaWorld is realizing that the Orca's (as they are used now) just are not welcome in the San Diego area.

I'd imagine if I were the SeaWorld's CEO I'd look into just shutting the park down and blaming it on San Diego government. I'd remove the all the useful rides and coasters and what ever else you could you can salvage and move them to other parks. I wonder if they'd be willing to build a new park elsewhere to re-coup the revenue. Sea World was willing to spend 100 million dollars in the park and now it is unclear what they are going to spend. On the flip side I wouldn't mind a Sea World that focuses more on roller coaster b/c that might give me a reason to want to go to one of their parks.

My next door neighbor got tickets for the whole family in anticipation of Mako being a Not B&M (Not B&M is his favorite manufacturer by far), so when he found out that this wasn't the case, he walked around looking for homeless people to give the tickets to but they wouldn't take them; not even as fuel for their garbage fires when it gets cold. One of them even chased him off with a shopping cart.

One of the most outrageous posts I've seen in a while.

My next door neighbor got tickets for the whole family in anticipation of Mako being a Not B&M (Not B&M is his favorite manufacturer by far), so when he found out that this wasn't the case, he walked around looking for homeless people to give the tickets to but they wouldn't take them; not even as fuel for their garbage fires when it gets cold. One of them even chased him off with a shopping cart.

I think it was satire

I think it was satire

Indeed.

I have never been to SeaWorld however I think this is an interesting move by the park. At first they seemed resolved to fight the regulation but now they are just completely capitulating to the demands of the over zealous government. I think that SeaWorld is realizing that the Orca's (as they are used now) just are not welcome in the San Diego area.

I'd imagine if I were the SeaWorld's CEO I'd look into just shutting the park down and blaming it on San Diego government. I'd remove the all the useful rides and coasters and what ever else you could you can salvage and move them to other parks. I wonder if they'd be willing to build a new park elsewhere to re-coup the revenue. Sea World was willing to spend 100 million dollars in the park and now it is unclear what they are going to spend. On the flip side I wouldn't mind a Sea World that focuses more on roller coaster b/c that might give me a reason to want to go to one of their parks.

A Western location but not California or anywhere else on the coast for the matter when it comes to politics? Hmmmmm. Two Locations stick out, Vegas and Phoenix areas for airport access. What about Lake Tahoe?

Still think aquarium/sesame place combos like sealife/Lego in metro markets need thought about in places like Nashville and St. Louis.

On the flip side I wouldn't mind a Sea World that focuses more on roller coaster b/c that might give me a reason to want to go to one of their parks.

Apart from Antarctica penguin experience and shark tank, I usually only focus on the rides when I go to the park. Last time I was out there, I skipped the Shamu shows for walk-on Kraken and Wild Arctic rides. Not becaue I don't support the show, but it's not a main focus when in the park. I'd still go to the park and do it again, considering they're the cheapest large theme park in the Orlando area with one of the best coaster line-ups.

. It'll probably be the best coaster in Florida: that's OK with me.

Mako will be fun, it will be a great hit for SeaWorld, but Kumba will still be the best coaster in Florida.

This. Kumba and Montu are both elite coasters.

No dude, I talked to so many people that totally said "to hell with SWO" the second they found out Mako was a B&M. My next door neighbor got tickets for the whole family in anticipation of Mako being a Not B&M (Not B&M is his favorite manufacturer by far), so when he found out that this wasn't the case, he walked around looking for homeless people to give the tickets to but they wouldn't take them; not even as fuel for their garbage fires when it gets cold. One of them even chased him off with a shopping cart. My other neighbor is a PETA member and her favorite movies are Free Willy, Free Willy 3, and Blackfish (she tried to run me over once after she found out that I had a pet goldfish when I was like 8). She still loved Seaworld and went there once a month. Until Mako was a B&M.

Does anyone know how well Seaworld is doing in terms of money? I could imagine they're doing pretty good, due to the fact they can buy a heavily themed B&M hyper, facelift sharks underwater grill, facelift shark encounters (or whatever it is called), and create a entirely new themed land. And then they're also still doing those rescue operations, and there's the resrot, and the new dark ride.

IIRC, every park they own is making money except for SeaWorld San Antonio (they say due to the bad weather this year) and SeaWorld San Diego (because of the crazy Blackfish backlash there). The Busch parks in particular are doing very well, as are Discovery Cove and Aquatica.

I don't have the numbers in front of me so I may be wrong here but seems like I remember reading about SeaWorld Orlando's profit loss and thinking it sounded strange because the profit loss was slightly greater in magnitude than the attendance decrease. I realize that those two figures don't tell the entire story of the situation financially but I was expecting the numbers to be more comparable than they were in the report that I read.

Anyways, I bought an annual pass last December and have probably been 5 or 6 times this year, and every time it has felt like there is a good crowd and every One Ocean show I've been to has been full. So the park may not be doing as well as it once was but I think they're still doing okay.

I don't have the numbers in front of me so I may be wrong here but seems like I remember reading about SeaWorld Orlando's profit loss and thinking it sounded strange because the profit loss was slightly greater in magnitude than the attendance decrease. I realize that those two figures don't tell the entire story of the situation financially but I was expecting the numbers to be more comparable than they were in the report that I read.

Anyways, I bought an annual pass last December and have probably been 5 or 6 times this year, and every time it has felt like there is a good crowd and every One Ocean show I've been to has been full. So the park may not be doing as well as it once was but I think they're still doing okay.

This is from their most recent quarterly update (first of November). California and Texas were the problem for the summer, while Florida parks and their other parks saw increases in attendance.

- Total revenue per capita increased by 0.6% to $59.36 in the third quarter of 2015 compared to $58.99 in the third quarter of 2014.

- Attendance for the quarter decreased slightly by 0.4% as a result of a decline in California and Texas. The decline at these two locations was largely offset by an increase in attendance at the Company's other park locations due to an improvement in demand, related to an increase in promotional offerings, and a favorable operating schedule resulting from the later timing of Labor Day in 2015.

Probably the most entertaining post on the internet.

Is it me or is Sea World really bad at announcing things? I am more confused about their strategy now than I was before.

SWSD - no more stadium whale shows and maybe a hotel

SWO - whale stadium show (for now at least), maybe a hotel, maybe a truck ride/dark ride sometime in the future?

SWSA - whale stadium show to stay (for now at least), maybe a roller coaster sometime in the future?

Other than the show leaving SWSD is any of this stuff actually official? They basically showed a bunch of pictures and said "this is the land we have to build stuff on, someday we might do that." I'm sure they have more detailed plans than they are letting the public know about but seriously what kind of announcement is that? Looks like they just wanted "Sea World" and "expansion" to be in the news.

^Don't forget Busch Gardens Williamsburg's odd "New ride? What new ride?" approach to Tempesto.

I'm not sure what's going on with SeaWorld's announcements. They all seem rather disjointed, but I'm intrigued by the new coasters and dark rides.