TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Another B&M out and back snoozer.

Manta got me to make a trip out to the park, this ride does not.

For shame SWO, you used to be so cool.

Don't be so jaded man. Nobody likes a party pooper. If you can't enjoy a super comfortable 200+ ft tall coaster, why do you have this hobby?

I think this will be a fun coaster, and next time I head down there for some Kracken and Manta action, I'm sure Mako will be a good time as well!

Don't be so jaded man. Nobody likes a party pooper. If you can't enjoy a super comfortable 200+ ft tall coaster, why do you have this hobby?

I've pondered this myself a lot lately in regards to similar enthusiasts who complain about anything that isn't their unrealistic pipe-dream. It truly is bizarre that so many complain about the very subject that makes up their past time.

Life is too short to get into arguments with people online about things. So I'll just say this.

B&M Hypers deliver TONS of airtime (aside from Raging Bull - which is still great in its own right). Nitro in particular was one of the first roller coasters that blew me away with its airtime. And this is coming from a guy who has been riding Magnum longer than some of the posters here have been alive! This is my experience, which is 100% factual, and valid.

Now, there are different types of airtime, floater and ejector, and some people are obviously going to prefer one over the other. That's called personal preference, or opinion, not fact. Preferring one over the other is also not wrong, or make your opinion any less valid.

On the whole, I don't feel like I have a strong preference in the matter. It really depends on the coaster. I find that ALL of the B&M Hypers have nestled themselves into my Top 30 or so coasters, so obviously, I do NOT view strong floater airtime as "mediocre" airtime. Assigning that label to it gives it a definition that really is abstract, in that it's all personal preference still anyway. Still, I love some coasters with strong ejecter airtime (Phantom's Revenge sits near the top of my list, and Maverick's pops of air are pure bliss!), and feel like other coasters with strong ejecter airtime are mediocre (such as the aforementioned Magnum). That doesn't make me wrong, it just makes me different.

In the end, it's all opinion, and preference, and really isn't something to argue about. I'm sorry I opened the floodgates earlier by questioning another's definiton of "mediocre", since, admitedly, it is his right to have that personal preference. I guess I was just shocked (and still am) that somebody (and in fact, many people) would consider the airtime on Nitro, or any other B&M Hyper, mediocre. That is certainly FAR from my experience, which, in spite of having far fewer laps on it than some of you, is still just as valid of an opinion.

Like Robb has stated elsewhere, talking about not counting credits, this hobby is all about fun, and the personal enjoyment one gets out of a coaster for themself. I masively enjoy Nitro, B&M Hypers in general, and some good, sustained floater air during my coastering experience! But it's also telling that after the two Giga coasters at the top of my rankings, the next 5 coasters all feature intense, ejecter airtime (Maverick, The Voyage, El Toro, Phantom's Revenge, Shivering Timbers.) I guess I just "go both ways" in this matter of sexu- er... airtime preference!

Diamondback and Apollo's Chariot definitely both blew me away, so I'm a proponent of the B&M hyper. Though, I wasn't overly impressed by Nitro. Maybe I was just expecting more from Nitro after seeing it hyped up for all these years. Probably also didn't help that we marathoned El Toro before riding Nitro, so it kinda made Nitro feel tame in comparison lol

Probably also didn't help that we marathoned El Toro before riding Nitro, so it kinda made Nitro feel tame in comparison lol

I will say, that after being blown away by it when I rode it years ago, my most recent visit it seemed "tamer", though I attribute that to the fact that as I've experienced more and more intense rides, it seems less and less intense. Still not at all "mediocre", in my opinion, but certainly not El Toro awesome!

Are there really any B&M hypers with mediocre airtime?!

I have only been on 3 B&M hypers, but I would say Diamondback has pretty good airtime. Nitro has mediocre airtime and Raging Bull barely has any. Cedar Point's Blue Streak has more airtime than those coasters combined.

In most cases, the lack up Intamin-esque airtime during the course of a B&M Hyper layout is more than made up for with the first drop (so as long as you sit in the last row). I think they're far and away the best on a steel coaster type. If, for instance, Six Flags decided to recycle all the steel used on Raging Bull's course after the first drop (maybe they could use the money to build the second half of Goliath that they forgot to add) and had it take a 180 degree turn back to the station right after the tunnel, I'd still wait in line for it.

Hey so I just noticed people earlier had grouped Fury into the "B&M hyper" group. As a disclaimer when I was stating that no B&M hyper had ejector air I wasn't talking about Fury. Fury is 3 minutes and 25 seconds of pure, uninterrupted greatness.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

I think Mako will have the normal floaty airtime found on most B&M hyper coasters. That's fine with me.

I'm mostly excited about the first extremely banked hill/turn after the first drop. That thing has to be close to being an inversion.

For those of you guys who want great airtime on a B&M, ride Fury. The three airtime hills compare to strong Intamin airtime. Fury single handedly changed my opinion about B&M. Hopefully Mako stays that course. I still like Intamin better but B&M may be closing the gap.

• 1 month later...
I'm mostly excited about the first extremely banked hill/turn after the first drop. That thing has to be close to being an inversion.

This. I prefer Nitro to every B&M hyper. Why (beside the good airtime and ejector ending)? It's the first hill. Currently, the closet you can get to this first hill is i202's first hill. Mako looks like a combination of Shambhala and Nitro, and I'm really excited for it's first hill!

Mako looks like its going to have a decent amount of airtime

It does look like a fun ride. Who know's, B&M may finally make a ride with a decent amount of airtime, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by jray21

Maybe I'm riding different B&M hypers than you guys, but I've always found them to have at least respectable *amounts* of airtime. Quality or type of airtime is something else entirely, but I've found Nitro in particular to sustain pretty well with a solid three seconds of floater on the major hills.

That said of course there are other rides with better airtime, but in terms of sheer quantity of airtime, regardless of how weak it may be, B&M hypers aren't too shabby.

Who know's, B&M may finally make a ride with a decent amount of airtime, but I'm not holding my breath.

Diamondback has a surprising amount of airtime. If they can do it with Diamondback they can do it with Mako.

Maybe I'm riding different B&M hypers than you guys, but I've always found them to have at least respectable *amounts* of airtime. Quality or type of airtime is something else entirely, but I've found Nitro in particular to sustain pretty well with a solid three seconds of floater on the major hills.

That said of course there are other rides with better airtime, but in terms of sheer quantity of airtime, regardless of how weak it may be, B&M hypers aren't too shabby.

QFT.

^Diamondback's airtime is just pure fun, and how long it sustains it over each hill always gets me. It's been a while since I last rode a coaster with four-across seating (Goliath, SFOG), but I do recall similar amounts of sustained airtime and hope Mako is full of them as well. That's all I could care for in a B&M hyper!

Mako looks like its going to have a decent amount of airtime

It does look like a fun ride. Who know's, B&M may finally make a ride with a decent amount of airtime, but I'm not holding my breath.

um excuse me but have you not ridden Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland? That whole ride is airtime....

^yeah but because rides like El Toro and Skyrush (coasters with ridiculous ejector airtime) exist, people think any coaster that doesn't rip you out of your seat doesn't have airtime. This would include the B&M hypers which have lots of floater air. But apparently ejector is what the people want.

I love Intamin/RMC ejector airtime AND B&M Hyper airtime!! Although I definitely prefer coasters with crazy intensity/ejector airtime (Skyrush, Outlaw Run, I305, El Toro) over most B&M hypers, saying that "B&M airtime is mediocre" is a bit of an exaggerated, IMO. There's clearly pro's and con's with the floater vs. ejector debate, and it comes down to personal preference. I'm just excited to ride all of these top tier coasters!

(After I visit SFGAm tomorrow, I will have only one operating B&M Hyper (Fury 325) and one operating RMC (Wicked Cyclone) left to ride in the U.S., of course I will have more to add for 2016 (Mako, LR, etc.)!)

Has anyone been following the Blue World Project news out of California? Sea World was granted the permission to build the larger habitats for the whales however the commission slapped an amendment on it that prohibits Sea World from breeding anymore whales there or transporting whales in or out of their California park. Can Sea World beat this ridiculous amendment or are they doomed to over time lose their whale population as they age and pass on?

• 2 weeks later...