TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

8, Shambhala Port Aventura

Not to go too off-topic, Robb, but what is it about Shambhala that separates it from the rest of the B&M hypers/gigas? I've watched the videos and to me, I can't really tell any differentiating factors from other ones.

In my opinion, nothing. I have no idea why it ranked so much higher than the others. I definitely prefer nitro. I won't say it's much better but I have no doubts I'll rank it higher.

Shambhala does have a great first drop but the airtime provided by the hills isn't as good or solid (in my opinion) as nitro's plus it has a terrible ending with a MCBR so near the end. It surely is a pretty good ride and one that everyone can enjoy but the stronger air, the forceful helix and that great triple hill ending on nitro are better.

Don't new coasters normally do quite well in the poll and then drop over the years? Or could it be European voters ranking it high?

Edited by Garet

8, Shambhala Port Aventura

Not to go too off-topic, Robb, but what is it about Shambhala that separates it from the rest of the B&M hypers/gigas? I've watched the videos and to me, I can't really tell any differentiating factors from other ones.

While I personally haven't been on Shambhala, I'm guessing it's "European overhype." Seems to happen fairly often when a new big coaster opens in that part of the world. The enthusiasts in that region seem to over-hype new rides, from what I can tell for two reasons:

1. They want to appear that they have something "as good as American" or

2. There is a strange contingent of Expedition GeForce haters that want to knock it off the top spot

My guess is that if Mitch was still doing the poll today, it wouldn't rank as high anymore.

Edited by robbalvey

Looking at that list, I've only been on 9 of the 30 coasters, so it's not unreasonable to think that my rankings would at least partially reflect some similarity, if I were to have been on more "top" coasters. Still, I know I would give Hypers more love than apparently most enthusiasts do!

2. There is a strange contingent of Expedition GeForce haters that want to knock it off the top spot

If these people exist they need to be fed to some angry ostriches!

I am still unsure about this new coaster. I loved the 2 B&Ms the park already has but as its been said before newer B&Ms are not as good as they should be. I hope they prove me wrong and I really believe they can't drop the ball with this any harder than they did with Antartica!

If these people exist they need to be fed to some angry ostriches!

I am still unsure about this new coaster. I loved the 2 B&Ms the park already has but as its been said before newer B&Ms are not as good as they should be. I hope they prove me wrong and I really believe they can't drop the ball with this any harder than they did with Antartica!

"Angry ostriches"--

I still have yet to "experience" Empire of the Penguin in Orlando, but I haven't been in much of a hurry to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Aquatica Orlando a few weeks ago and I took a survey that they had near the exit. Upon completion the survey, they gave me a coupon for 20% off your complete purchase from any of the SeaWorld online shops (http://buschgardensshop.com/, http://shamushop.com, and http://shop.sesameplace.com). There's nothing that I want from any of the online shops so if anyone wants the coupon code, just send me a private message and I'll respond with the coupon code to whoever sends me a private message first.

I mean I don't think that Mako is a bad addition to the park by any means, it certainly adds something unique for the Orlando market and despite what we enthusiasts think about B&M hypers most park goers will love it.

What do you mean, "we enthusiasts"? I love B&M hypers, every one I've been on is a great ride experience! Not everybody who is, shall we say, more enthusiastic than normal regarding coasters, thinks they are tame! I am very excited to ride Mako, and considering that both of SWO's previous B&M coasters are in my Top 15 coasters overall, I have a feeling it'll be another great addition!

Agreed with much of being said so far. I don't think there's a B&M hyper I don't love (including many those Robb mentioned).

I think the disgruntlement with B&M hypers is that we have seen what can really be engineered with under 4,000 ft of track and heights barely encroaching 200ft with the likes of Expedition GeForce and Goliath@Walibi, that it makes you wonder why some B&M hypers turned out the way they did. In the case of SFOG's Goliath or Leviathan, are they bad? No, but it alway felt like something far shorter (length/height-wise) and more thrilling could have been built for far less. And in other cases, Why was Goliath at LaRonde ever made?

If parks wanted more ride's like La Ronde's Goliath, we'd see them. It does feel like some rides are engineered purely for the Magnum-XL visual effect (see sheer height/towering amazement) that the aforementioned created 30+ years ago rather than ride experience. Gatekeeper may be more symptomatic of that problem than anything else.

In the case of SFOG's Goliath or Leviathan, are they bad? No, but it alway felt like something far shorter (length/height-wise) and more thrilling could have been built for far less. And in other cases, Why was Goliath at LaRonde ever made?

Incidently, those three coasters you mentioned are among the few that I haven't ridden, which could account for not having as much disappointment with the genre.

I do wonder, often, why it is that coasters like Bizarro (SFNE) and Expedition GeForce are universally acclaimed, and yet, nobody has contracted for essentially a clone of either of them yet... I know if I were a park, I would have asked Intamin eons ago to replicate either of those coasters as much as possible! In this era of so many cloned rides out there, at different parks, is there a reason specifically why this couldn't happen with those coasters?

I apologize for this thread hijacking, I am just very curious about this... If there is a better thread to discuss this, feel free to direct me there!

Not to mention that revenue and attendance were not too different from last year, just a slight drop, but profits were down, meaning that they are just spending more money, which makes sense with all they are spending on new advertising and on new attractions and exhibits this year. Attendance only dropped 100k, which on 12 parks, of which most are open year round, is not that much. Revenue dropped $13m from $405m to $392m, while profits dropped $32m, meaning they spent an extra $19m more this year than last year. So it's not just dropped attendance, which they have said the only real place they are having trouble is San Diego. San Antonio experienced a decline, but they said the awful weather was the most significant factor there. If they separated everything out and took away the San Diego parks, I bet they would be looking pretty good right now, but the California area is just going to be a tough battle for them.

Not to mention that revenue and attendance were not too different from last year, just a slight drop, but profits were down, meaning that they are just spending more money, which makes sense with all they are spending on new advertising and on new attractions and exhibits this year. Attendance only dropped 100k, which on 12 parks, of which most are open year round, is not that much. Revenue dropped $13m from $405m to $392m, while profits dropped $32m, meaning they spent an extra $19m more this year than last year. So it's not just dropped attendance, which they have said the only real place they are having trouble is San Diego. San Antonio experienced a decline, but they said the awful weather was the most significant factor there. If they separated everything out and took away the San Diego parks, I bet they would be looking pretty good right now, but the California area is just going to be a tough battle for them.

Yep, the PR expense ( all those ads), California being full of willfull idiots and heavy rains in Texas early on.

I wish they would taper off on the counteratt attack and start promoting the parks and rides. I'm sure they will start in late 3rd quarter as families start thinking about next year. Our family wants to do San Antonio for Spring Break or late May for 2016. I look forward to Manby's presentation for the future this Fall. I wonder if we see them revisit the Abu Daubi plans as things are seemingly full bore over there again. The Orca shaped Island was just killer.

SeaWorld Orlando sent us this press release today...

HIGHWAY SIGHTINGS OF SEAWORLD ORLANDO’S NEW “MAKO” COASTER

-- Giant piece of steel coaster track travels 1,000 miles to its Orlando home --

ORLANDO, Fla. (August 17, 2015) – The first piece of SeaWorld Orlando’s new 200-foot-tall hypercoaster surfaced today as it traveled from the production facility in Ohio to its new home in Orlando. Mako will be Orlando’s tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster, and will reach speeds of 73 mph along 4,760 feet of steel track when it opens in summer 2016.

Over the next week, the giant piece of deep indigo and ocean blue coaster track will journey on an open flatbed semi-truck nearly 1,000 miles to its destination in sunny Florida. Highway travelers in major cities along the way – including Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville and Atlanta – should keep an eye out for this unusual #MakoSighting.

As the track arrives at SeaWorld Orlando, the team will begin to create one of the world’s few true hypercoasters – a group of roller coasters known for high speeds and steep drops, and hills that create a feeling of weightlessness or “air time.” The coaster will be the centerpiece of a two-acre, shark-themed realm at SeaWorld Orlando.

Mako is slated to open Summer of 2016 at SeaWorld Orlando. Continue to stay up to date on all construction details and announcements on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Join the conversation using #MakoSighting.

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_023.thumb.jpg.cb49a31fc48210646d313a166eb09914.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_027.thumb.jpg.c25fe313eb69d77c6c9dfb6a18b85225.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_048.thumb.jpg.d4ad9595f002646175bc4078e9264158.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_049.thumb.jpg.aff24edf84e793212c7570d0c6658fe9.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_083.thumb.jpg.c9d40b40b380035df7adeca43977a754.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_090.thumb.jpg.b67f17c27c00eec3c311064a8bcbf190.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_099.thumb.jpg.aa0e3c7afb002de70348e94e6af349ae.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_127.thumb.jpg.979a6dc250fd58ee340182e176692b03.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_143.thumb.jpg.1aaf3e4f27e44abd8c43fdd8817b4eba.jpg

20150817_MakoTrackPieceOhio_146.thumb.jpg.11757ce871b66b14fc6fe47af11ef7de.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

That's incredibly fun. Very clever!

I mean... yeah it'll encourage a lot of people to post on social media and take pictures while driving but I'm sure it's intended for passengers or people that see the trucks while not behind the wheel. People are idiots though so it's bound to happen... but that's not Sea World's fault or their problem. Great idea.

Edited by coasterbill