TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Looks like they are keeping the Lakeside Panini Bistro and Lakeside Dining area. I love that area and it is my favorite spot to grab some wine and relax. I hope they keep the flamingo boats as well. Adding a major new attraction without subtracting anything...well done!

I'm loving this the more I read about it. The concept art is awesome and good to see the existing shark attraction getting a facelift too. This is really the shot in the arm the park and company needed. Add the fact a new great CEO at the helm the future is looking much brighter for Sea World Parks. Now let's see what Busch Gardens has in store for us. Some leaked artwork shows something just as amazing to come for that park.

The most intriguing element on this entire coaster has got to be the "hammerhead". I can't even imagine what it Is going to be like.

It looks like Orlando might be the next theme park trip for us. With the additions of Mako, Skyscraper, and whatever Busch Gardens pulls off, Orlando looks amazing!

Looks like a very good reason to go back to SWO for something other than marine life. Won't take much to outshine the existing pair of B&Ms at the park.

I disagree with this statement. Both Kraken and Manta, particularly the former, are tough acts to follow.

+1 Manta kicks my bootay every time! That pretzel loop is insane!

This looks great! This will definitely get SW some positive publicity outside of Blackfish. The ending looks to be one of the best out of B&M hypers. Also, I'm loving the trains from what you can see in the concept art

Mako looks like an awesome addition to the park and gives it a nice B&M trio with Manta and Kraken. SWO will now have three of the best coasters in Orlando and just became a must visit on my next trip to Florida. I only hope that SWSD gets something like Mako in the near future. There's still not a B&M hyper in Cali and I would love to see SWSD get the first one!

I believe SWSD has a 30 foot height restriction that they had to get special permission to exceed with Skytower and Atlantis. Hence, Manta. As a kid I always wanted them to build something like Steel Eel.

I wonder how set in stone the height restrictions are? I say this because I remember reading an article a few months about a proposed 400 foot tall observation wheel for the San Diego waterfront. If the city is willing to let somebody build a 400 foot tall attraction, you would think they'd be ok with a 200 foot tall coaster. But then again, this is California we're talking about and most things there don't make any sense.

We should probably move this discussion to the SWSD thread, but SW is a little bit removed from Downtown San Diego, where there are several skyscrapers and such. I believe SW's height restriction has something to do with an airport...

Check the SWSD thread I'm sure it's been discussed many times.

Knowing Sea World, and how they theme their rides, I am 100% positive there will be a nice water feature there... and I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

There will not be a water feature. Brian Marrow told me himself today that they didn't want the ride to look just like Manta. Instead, he said the ride will be "Crashing through" that shipwrecked boat you see in the concept art. I'm guessing there will be some sort of sound or visual effect attached to that to pull it off.

I personally think it would be completely silly if they had a "water splash" element with two coasters that are around the corner from each other in the same park.

It would be like having two coasters in the same park with a fire element... Oh, wait... *cough* sfmm *cough*

I love the fact that SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa are making their announcements really early while it took forever for Busch Gardens Williamsburg to make theirs for Tempesto.

I didn't even think about this until you pointed it out. This is very early on in the season to announce attractions for the following year.........I like it though. I'm still puzzled by why BGW never teased/formally announced Tempesto (which I've ridden and is better than I was expecting).

As for Mako........looks decent. Standard B&M hyper, but the second half of the ride with the twisty elements and water feature make it stand out. I'm sure the theming in the station will be amazing, just like Manta's. Does anyone know if there will be a water splash? (like Diamondback, Sheikra, etc)

^Answered one page before your post.

Knowing Sea World, and how they theme their rides, I am 100% positive there will be a nice water feature there... and I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

There will not be a water feature. Brian Marrow told me himself today that they didn't want the ride to look just like Manta. Instead, he said the ride will be "Crashing through" that shipwrecked boat you see in the concept art. I'm guessing there will be some sort of sound or visual effect attached to that to pull it off.

I personally think it would be completely silly if they had a "water splash" element with two coasters that are around the corner from each other in the same park.

It would be like having two coasters in the same park with a fire element... Oh, wait... *cough* sfmm *cough*

Edited by jedimaster1227

Anyone else find it interesting that the trains only have seven rows? I've never seen that before on a B&M hyper.

That is strange - wonder if it's just a fluke mistake made by the artist of the concept art?

EDIT - actually, after checking the virtual POV - it only has 7 rows there too so it would seem that's what it will be (unless they messed up in the video AND the artwork).

1197310080_ScreenShot2015-05-27at6_15_29PM.png.a9f40f1a360695b2fe2d79bd5d6d59f0.png

Wow, it looks really really good! It seems like a very well thought out, well-rounded addition. Smart move, SeaWorld. The first half does look very Nitro-y, which is crazy to think that Nitro will be 15 years old next year. Goes to show, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having only 7 rows is strange, isn't it?

The twisty finale looks really great.

I stand corrected, Thanks

Hey MrNemis2003, I sure hope you realize I wasn't taking a jab at you. Instead it was just meant to be a friendly poke, hence the "No worries" followed by the Taiko Wink. It wouldn't surprise me to find out there were other people ahead of us both who also thought a 200-foot tall Hyper GT-X would be a great addition to SWO. "Great Minds think alike, right?" Heck, even after the recent announcement at SWO, it's still kind of fun to think about what Mako might have looked like if SWO had gone with a Chance Hyper GT-X (or Intamin, Mack, etc) instead of a B&M Hyper, right?

I don't know about you, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the new coaster. Am I surprised it's a B&M Hyper? No, but the layout looks like it might be a fun B&M, and the theming appears to be great.

What about that "Relentless Air Time" quote in the announcement video? Hmmmm...

That sounds great! Then again, my interpretation of that quote might be different than SWO's interpretation?!?

But then again, this is California we're talking about and most things there don't make any sense.

What doesn't make sense? Height restrictions happen all over the country, it's not like California is the only one with them, and they don't have them for no reason. Unfortunately when Sea World SD was built, they picked a location where the restrictions would eventually have quite an impact on the attractions they were allowed to install. Who knew that eventually they'd want to install 200 feet roller coasters? It was basically started as a sea animal park.

As for this coaster Mako, sorry to say, it won't draw me back to the park. Manta did, but this just looks like the standard B&M Hyper Yawner. I also they wish they would have done more track inside the park, to interact with the guests a bit more. It looks more like an afterthought and I'm not sure it's going to have nearly the impact Manta did with the surrounding environment. Out of the 3 B&Ms in the park this one looks like it's going to be the least entertaining.

I stand corrected, Thanks

Hey MrNemis2003, I sure hope you realize I wasn't taking a jab at you. Instead it was just meant to be a friendly poke, hence the "No worries" followed by the Taiko Wink. It wouldn't surprise me to find out there were other people ahead of us both who also thought a 200-foot tall Hyper GT-X would be a great addition to SWO. "Great Minds think alike, right?" Heck, even after the recent announcement at SWO, it's still kind of fun to think about what Mako might have looked like if SWO had gone with a Chance Hyper GT-X (or Intamin, Mack, etc) instead of a B&M Hyper, right?

I don't know about you, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the new coaster. Am I surprised it's a B&M Hyper? No, but the layout looks like it might be a fun B&M, and the theming appears to be great.

What about that "Relentless Air Time" quote in the announcement video? Hmmmm...

That sounds great! Then again, my interpretation of that quote might be different than SWO's interpretation?!?

Dude don't worry about it You were just correcting me, I totaly forgot to look back in the thread to see if anybody else said the same thing. and yes I to am very excited for this roller coaster!

I like the curved drop over the lagoon--looks very cool.

image_11780_0.jpg

Nice color scheme, too.

I like this feature as well, I wonder if there will be some kind of water element to splash the guest and interact with the ride like MANTA?

Nope, it says on their website. No splash or water features. This is a 100% dry ride.

Really?? Manta is a 100% dry ride, yet it still features its water feature.

Even Manta at Sea World San Diego has a water effect, yet is a 100% dry ride. 7276626374_7db65b3d26_z.jpg

A water effect does not necessarily mean the riders have to get wet.

Sorry, looks like I've been corrected.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I love the standard 4 across trains instead of the wierd double row seating like on Diamondback and a few others. These trains should look incredible and I'm sure we'll get a preview at IAAPA.

Firstly let me make it clear I'm dead excited about this coaster. I will definitely attend Sea World and ride this bad boy. However it seems to me that SWO seem to be back pedding on their idea of "One Ocean" which makes me sad

I really liked the look of the new tanks for the whales and it would have made me feel better about SeaWorld in the wake of the whole BlackFish mess. I don't agree with that movie, but I do think Sea World needs to update the sea animals habitats 1st and not build new coasters.

I know this opinion may not make me popular but its what I think.