TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Reef Hunter definitely sounds like it could be a rethemed "Wild Arctic" if they chose to go with a tropical theme. Then again, there is a huge Arctic animal exhibit afterwards, so relocating that wouldn't be very cost effective. Reef Hunter just doesn't sound like a hyper coaster to me.

Given the clues already given and this new trademark I wouldn't be surprised if this is SWO's new coaster name.

I agree it would be a great name for a reheard wild arctic but I see no way they are going to touch the exhibit. It is immensely popular and beautiful as is.

Reef Hunter is a cool name, reminds me of another great Busch coaster: Cheetah Hunt. Looking forward to the announcement so we can square away the details!

Reef Hunter sounds more to me like some sort of game or dark ride. I'd say that Mako is the name of the coaster of the two we've heard of so far. Mako just fits in and plus with all the "frenzy" hints they've dropped, Reef Hunter doesn't add up. Also, it kind of reminds me of Cheetah Hunt at BG so two coasters with Hunt in the name? Not feeling it. Besides the coaster, not exactly sure what "Reef Hunter" would be used for.

Edit: Maybe Reef Hunter is some sort of new flat ride or pre-show for Mako?

Another new Sea World trademark for an "amusement ride" has appeared, this one for Reef Hunter:

It should also be noted that trademarks filed by Sea World LLC are typically for their SeaWorld parks and trademarks filed by SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment LLC are typically for their other properties.

So are any other SeaWorld parks planning on getting a new ride? Or maybe they'll rename an existing attraction at SWO? Keep in mind these trademark applications aren't free, so the park likely has some intent to use this name somewhere.

What is San Antonio Alex.

It's long overdue, has plenty of room and likely has the most growth potential of any of their current parks considering the lack major parks in Texas ouside of Six Flags.

I'd guess this is for San Diego considering San Antonio has already announced that for 2016 they'll be adding in a new dolphin exhibit.

I would hope there is some ride that is soon in the works for San Antonio regardless of habitat expendures. Compare ride adds at the Busch Parks and the other two SeaWorld parks to San Antonio over last few years. Talk about a lack of love. I have a feeling with Manby, he'll see this and correct it.

I'd guess this is for San Diego considering San Antonio has already announced that for 2016 they'll be adding in a new dolphin exhibit.

I would hope there is some ride that is soon in the works for San Antonio regardless of habitat expendures. Compare ride adds at the Busch Parks and the other two SeaWorld parks to San Antonio over last few years. Talk about a lack of love. I have a feeling with Manby, he'll see this and correct it.

I could definitely see that being a possibility considering the current Sharks/Coral Reef exhibit at SWSA is closed due to the construction on the dolphin tank and there is a lot of land beyond the Shark Exhibit, it does sound more like a dark ride however I think this could be something like Turtle Trek like we have here in Orlando but still it seems odd if this were for SWSA(assuming that this comes in 2017) considering that its been filed for now and they've already confirmed their expenditures for this and next year. Also odd since there probably spending a good amount of money on the new dolphin exhibit in SA to be adding in expensive new attractions. But hey, I'm just looking at it as if it were a big coaster or something, it might just be a small attraction or flat ride. Yea totally went off topic of SWO right there.

Just looking at the comments on the SeaWorld Twitter feed just gives me no hope for those brainwashed by $lackfish...

Just had a quick look on the twitter feed, lots of ignorant people indeed. However I'm not sure if the approach SeaWorld is taking against Blackfish is the correct one, as it seems to fuel the fire somewhat. I feel it might be better to ignore the whole thing. Then again, I'm sure they're absolutely fed up with the Blackfish bullshit and sometimes feel the need to release some steam. I don't know excactly, just some thoughts from my side...

As a formerly very active blackfish opposer, I can tell you that the reality is that the activists speaking out against Seaworld are a very active minority, and, in the big picture, their strong opinions don't really matter. The "real" problem Seaworld faces are those people who have seen Blackfish once and decide never to go to Seaworld. These people are not necessarily activists; it's just really easy to not go to Seaworld. Even these people, though, make up a relatively small number of people that would go to Seaworld anyway considering many will never travel to Orlando/San Antonio/San Diego. I think their new "Ask Seaworld" campaign is genius for this. Activists try and burn Seaworld with certain "facts" and statistics they've heard, and Seaworld calmly shuts them down in front of everyone on the internet.

Knowing all this, I was pretty confused as to why Seaworld lost so much business. That is, I was confused until I read TPR. I came to understand this "identity crisis" that Seaworld is going/went through. By countering Blackfish so strongly, Seaworld's marketing campaign was much more reflective of that of a zoo than a theme park. For example, their marketing campaign for their new penguin exhibit in Orlando was completely covered by anti-blackfish propoganda, and even Manta at Seaworld San Diego was under-advertised. From a moral standpoint, perhaps Seaworld would be better off as a zoo, but I digress. Zoos are generally nonprofit and subsidized, and Seaworld was marketing like a zoo and making the appropriate cash to go with that title. This is why it's so great that Seaworld is getting a new coaster, it shows that Seaworld is finally putting Blackfish behind them and returning to their theme park marketing.

Personally, the killer whales and dolphins are not the main reason I go to Sea World. I'd be just as likely to go if both were removed. I'm not sure how many other people feel the same way, but sometimes I wonder if they'll just have to bite the bullet and move in that direction. I know the National Aquarium in Baltimore has been moving in that direction for a few years now. They started with a show very much like you would see at Sea World with their dolphins, then they moved to a completely educational show, and now they don't really have a show at all (you can go in at any time and see the biologists working with the dolphins, but there is no [per se] performance). Recently, they even launched a letter talking about how they were considering options for the future of their dolphins, including them to a "sea pen". If one major aquarium would do it, it would (seemingly) put a lot of pressure on the other aquariums/parks/zoos that also have dolphins.

SeaWorld needs to stop arguing that water isn't wet and own up to their horrible mistakes. The more they deny that they are destroying the lives of orcas the closer they will get to bankruptcy.

Get me up to speed...what are these "horrible mistakes" other than the penguin ride lol?

SeaWorld needs to stop arguing that water isn't wet and own up to their horrible mistakes. The more they deny that they are destroying the lives of orcas the closer they will get to bankruptcy.

Get me up to speed...what are these "horrible mistakes" other than the penguin ride lol?

Watch Blackfish and you'll see.

I believe that most of the members on this forum have watched Blackfish and have stayed updated with the constant news surrounding this. It became clear that Blackfish gave lots of false information about SeaWorld parks as per evidence showed. I'm not going to further argue this but we don't need consistent posts about the mistakes SeaWorld has done because Blackfish said so.

SeaWorld deserves so much better than that. Yes I have watched Blackfish but I have stayed with the stories surrounding it. SeaWorld is not in the wrong.

THANK YOU!

Blackfish is propaganda garbage loaded with lies end of story already. Let's move forward to what they will be doing right and are doing right for a change. Yes they're not perfect but they do care about their animals and animals in the wild. Their track record for rescues and rehab speak for itself. Let's start getting pumped for the new coaster coming in 2016 which we will find out more details this coming week. Happy Memorial Day to all veterans and families of veterans past and present.

Have you actually been to Seaworld to see what's going on? Most people who seem to be up in arms are people who have never set foot in one or ever planned to go in the first place. If you are so hell bent against what Seaworld does then perhaps you should remove Busch Gardens as a home park and all their coasters in your favorites since they are the same company after all. You wouldn't want to be caught supporting and all....

Arguing with a 15 year old about Blackfish is hardly worth anyones time.

Move on and get back to discussing Mako Shark or whatever the new B&M Hyper will be called!

Perhaps it will be named for the ocean sunfish.

I lost hope in these forums for a minute there. My hope was regained when I read all the replies to DCSports' comment.

AAAAANNNNDDD for your reference...

JK reread the rules and I can't post links to websites yet but I have a couple great sources for why Blackfish is complete bull. If you want them maybe I can get permission or I can message you.