TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Ugh thank you. People act like their SeaWorld accountants for God's sake. Yeah they took a hit but they are far from going under.

There's a lot of stupidity and rash judgments going around with SeaWorld these days. People think there's something wrong with SeaWorld just because their attendance dropped while most every other park in the top 10 in attendance saw rises in attendance. Wrong. They attribute that drop solely and exclusively to Blackfish. Wrong. They think the announcement about the enlarged orca enclosures was a direct response to Blackfish. Wrong. Now they think this coaster is being built to distract away from Blackfish and mitigate the damage. Again, wrong.

I think for me the worst part about all of this is that it's giving Blackfish way too much credit than it could ever deserve. The propagandists who made that steaming pile of ignorant and fraudulent crap ought not to have their ego's stroked in this way. They do not have the power to pull SeaWorld under, nor did they ever have such power. Whatever "power" they have comes directly from lies, misinformation, and exploiting the stupidity in a public that can't know everything. It's really something when you consider that if the idiots who made and supported Blackfish actually got their way and SeaWorld did go under, it would be the marine life itself and the global marine conservation effort as a whole that would suffer the most. These so-called "activists" wouldn't accomplish anything besides a more at risk ocean, and a more ignorant public because SeaWorld wasn't there to show these animals to the kids for them to really see and make a connection that just isn't possible with books, the internet, or even whale watching. Of course the morons don't see it that way, but they've never once used an ounce of reasoning from the start.

Hooray for a new roller coaster for SeaWorld, but it seems to me to be simply their way of competing in the Orlando theme park market. They can't always build an Antarctica. Sometimes a park has to build an "-est" ride because that's a relatively easy way to keep up with the competition. SeaWorld has to compete, and has to maintain a presence in this market, especially when their attendance is down. Hopefully this new coaster accomplishes that goal.

I agree it's more of a lack of proper marketing, compelling additions and Universal evolving into a multiday park with the Potter magic and aggressive attraction growth. Throw in the fact they have missed the park owned hotel bus and you have a park thats missing out that's also staring a secondary attraction boom like the Eye complex and proposed polarcoaster complex and you got to get aggressive.

Sea World's animal and Sea attractions have to,set them apart from the explosion of aquariums over the past 15 years. Shark tubes are everywhere. That one reason I think Blue Ocean was concieved. It takes their biggest marine draw and gives it more of an immersive, natural feel with expanded viewing opportunities That also addresses some of the criticisms that plague them. It reminds me of the Whale Shark viewing structure at Chimelong Ocean in China. Make no mistake, some will never be satisfied as they want an end to All captive animals. The Orcas are the big shiny trophy that will help with the rest.

My prediction is it will be either an B&M or a Intamin. It is more likely to be an B&M because they have a strong relationship with the the SeaWorld Parks. However an nice Skyrush type hyper would be nice. It would go well with the theme of being the fastest by having those sharp turns like Skyrush or I305 where it is low to the ground. I wonder would they use the winged seats like Skyrush.

The money skeptics need to understand that just because attendance and revenues were down, it doesn't mean the park has nothing to spend. Without the filter of media, the situation is likely that they have to reduce their costs and be conservative on some spending projects. By no means are they out of capital, but they are not in the ideal position.

It wouldn't surprise me if this coaster or any of their major projects are financed over a few years. I find it hard to believe these projects are paid in cash all at once.

Today Theme Park Review was invited to visit SeaWorld Orlando for the debut of this year's Viva La Musica event at the park. The event features tons of fantastic food, great entertainment and it is included in normal park admission, giving you the chance to enjoy all of the park's great rides, shows and animal experiences as a part of your day. With that in mind, we also took the time to check out the brand new Sea Lion High show that recently opened at the Sea Lion & Otter Theater replacing the former Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island show that ran for thirteen years.

DSC00786.thumb.JPG.cae09077ee19853f98c67944cacf1af5.JPG

Here at Viva La Musica, crowds of people are anxiously waiting to get in!

DSC00793.thumb.JPG.c2f50d92514b2902d61ffd1b0ba7aaca.JPG

Needless to say, for a foodie like me, this event is heaven! Here's a salted cod dish available at the event!

DSC00794.thumb.JPG.75bc8e807f0fbf2a5008e5841fd9e6d3.JPG

And you know everything is being made fresh right before it is served to you!

DSC00797.thumb.JPG.1543f2f465fabc77a4e2a86612a1e5e1.JPG

So much incredible food!

DSC00798.thumb.JPG.8d096bc65a0719bb016a3f8549994171.JPG

Tostones for the win!

DSC00800.thumb.JPG.81ad7444982933845d3dc11fa1e36ae0.JPG

These skewers were incredible!

DSC00805.thumb.JPG.cb4c80aea65844dcd1111afebd1ef72a.JPG

SeaWorld allowed us to try a little bit of everything and it was all so good!

DSC00806.thumb.JPG.b643f01f5d10cbd6ccc92eee2296bffd.JPG

Another food stand with the Viva La Music event area sells some delicious empanadas.

DSC00809.thumb.JPG.65b3a7e1baa1ea916856ee538b8b4f94.JPG

Shamu and Daisy even dressed up for the occasion!

DSC00811.thumb.JPG.e7ea6b6a20797341aae778445d0e0f04.JPG

SeaWorld pass holders can take advantage of a special Happy Hour offer on all beers, wine and cocktails at the event with $2 discounts on each...

DSC00813.thumb.JPG.584ff0f0be8153185b5aa9ade2cb1f81.JPG

So enjoying a Mango Mojito was a good idea.

DSC00819.thumb.JPG.17996cae27271c40619609ec1c0155c9.JPG

The event grounds really look great!

DSC00821.thumb.JPG.0aab88d08527849a54f07a2825521165.JPG

While waiting for the Viva La Music concert to begin, we took the time to check out the new Sea Lion High show at the Sea Lion & Otter Theater.

DSC00822.thumb.JPG.a0b288428dcab48631acac8ea769e228.JPG

A look at the brand new set.

DSC00826.thumb.JPG.74a95c2437941fc30b187a62a1266989.JPG

There's a sing-along portion of the show.

DSC00833.thumb.JPG.7c286ec2dd242700fa10ea9ccd8eb332.JPG

The set's design has some neat pop-out areas for humans and animals alike to use.

DSC00834.thumb.JPG.1017c3590221e52ac1a092b8a135a685.JPG

The full cast of the show assembled.

DSC00836.thumb.JPG.a7cbfb77e0daf7ac7f00c2977f0a54e5.JPG

The story goes that on the final day of school at Sea Lion High, Clyde & Seamore are eligible for two highly coveted scholarships but are unable to claim them as they will be unable to graduate due to having not completed certain classes. They have the remainder of the day to complete all of their required classes in order to graduate and to claim these scholarships.

DSC00837.thumb.JPG.0ee83052e7b6e2ca2cd005b79400d58d.JPG

Huddling to figure out how to make it happen.

DSC00840.thumb.JPG.078bfc38316925ea81874237c6bbef59.JPG

It wouldn't be a Clyde & Seamore show without an otter making some cute scene-stealing gags!

DSC00846.thumb.JPG.ca187ecc84ced764ec7de0c7d37b49cc.JPG

Science class is nearly complete.

DSC00865.thumb.JPG.d890c4ac22c5af3d30363587b1d0d11a.JPG

Gym class is in session.

DSC00868.thumb.JPG.d77e1535c3c93b0e2a37f770f00d909b.JPG

Seeing Clyde do sit ups was pretty neat.

DSC00871.thumb.JPG.75e2fa2f19e535218b65df56dcfc28ec.JPG

But seeing Seamore do a hand stand was more impressive.

DSC00874.thumb.JPG.be53efb33dd020339e763f991dcb9d9a.JPG

A neat set piece for Sea Lion High helps to make another memorable scene with the otter.

DSC00884.thumb.JPG.9500a610e2bdd0c8dd015b59cc6ac70c.JPG

It wouldn't be a Clyde & Seamore show without someone falling into the water from the top of the set...

DSC00885.thumb.JPG.e606ca3b5755347f28a9394544f13246.JPG

And a sea lion that follows them into the water...

DSC00889.thumb.JPG.1fe882e0ab58cf015b2e81c2a47f41dd.JPG

Winston Walrus returns in the new show for the finale.

DSC00899.thumb.JPG.8eafbd4a0c3d703a0821b8c6bdd0dc01.JPG

Seeing him do sit-ups in the show is quite funny!

DSC00900.thumb.JPG.20d733cc4457301ea3b7385097057621.JPG

Wave goodbye Mr. Tusk!

DSC00906.thumb.JPG.1a1f33711e6def6bfe68dacdeb534770.JPG

The other major draw of Viva La Musica is the concert series that brings in notable Latin music stars to perform live at the Atlantis Bayside Stadium.

DSC00909.thumb.JPG.1568d03b7829234e67d2f9daabb3d39c.JPG

But while you're waiting for the concert to begin, there's a live band on the event stage where you can dance and enjoy the food and drinks from the nearby booths.

DSC00923.thumb.JPG.6ec0071d838de8a4d438dbb49c74b665.JPG

The pre-show for the concert is a hype-group on moon-shoes that perform tricks to the beating of the drums.

DSC00934.thumb.JPG.2f0e5e4ae0e7ddc799fc60163fe6abc7.JPG

Time for the show to begin!

DSC00951.thumb.JPG.0eead1c343bbc64ffde6d38117889bd7.JPG

Olga Tañón belted it out onstage and the crowd was loving it!

DSC00961.thumb.JPG.85dcf4bf90a28bd4ef09df95c3e55374.JPG

Special thanks again to SeaWorld Orlando for inviting us to this weekend's Viva La Musica, which runs on weekends through May 16th, 2015... The event is extremely popular, so if you're considering going out to the park early because...

DSC00984.thumb.JPG.aac84838419dacac89894c48d2f1c2bb.JPG

The show does fill up!

I went to Olga Tañon's concert yesterday and it was incredible. The stadium was packed! Not to mention people gathered on the grassy fields on both ends of the stadium. The food was good, above park quality food. However I'm a little jaded when it comes to the cuisine at viva la musica, I'm Puerto Rican. While I really liked the food options and they tasted great, they will never taste like home lol. But props to SeaWorld, I wish they extended this event on Sundays.

Some of that food looks killer!

We were thinking of going this summer, but may wait till they get this new coaster open now. I really enjoy this park as it has a lot to offer for the entire family. My daughters favorite part of our last orlando trip was when she got to feed the dolphins at seaworld.

The $lackfish people just crack me up. It is beyond me why they are focusing so much attention to seaworld( a place where they care deeply about animals and save thousands of them), when there are whalers and several other outlets that they really should be going after that hunt and kill whales.

Here is one of my favorite pictures of these clowns outside the park. I will make sure to bring a carton of eggs with me next time

12919_10153047760424330_8930793753144659234_n.jpg.52168e3d32caa96e3c95748c09bc3259.jpg

^^ Yep, because dressing up like Moses is the easiest way to get people to take you seriously. These people really have nothing else to do besides stand in front of SeaWorld and protest in the name of some propaganda film?

^Is that an Orca standing there on the left? Someone throw it back into the ocean.

Glad to see the special events are drawing a good crowd. I love Sea World and the announcement of another thrill machine just gets me pumped up even more. Those knuckleheads with the protest signs may as well hang it up. Blackfishes 15 minutes of fame are up and now it's time to move forward and not look back. Back to your cave protesters, this one is over for you, mission not accomplished. Sea World is not going anywhere and are planning more for their future. With a great new CEO at the helm, I see nothing but great things ahead and this park will bounce back you watch.

The food definitely looks to be of much better quality than what we had at Busch Gardens Food and Wine Festival a week ago. Although I would expect that being that this was the initial launch of a new event for Sea World.

Don't get me wrong, the BGT F&WF was still an awesome event. I realize that this was their debut season as well as the 2nd to last weekend before the event ends, but the overall taste of our samplings were just a wee bit on the lackluster side (and some of the meat samples were outright cold & tough). Hopefully that will improve in the coming years as well as the possibility of expanding the selections further out into the park and into Gwazi Field.

But have no fear...the great beer selection more than made up for the so-so food quality!

I'll be there on the last day of Viva La Musica (May 16),just like for the Bands Brew and BBQ it annoys me that since the Blackfish thing started they can't give you who will be playing the concerts until like a week or two before the date of the show,but I just go and hope I like who's playing,I'm in Florida but 4 hours away so I still have to plan my visits.Before Blackfish they would give you a full list of the concerts sometimes months before allowing you to plan your trip.The fried bacalaito (salted cod fish) Adam showed has me salivating,those things are salty but good.

I hope they build a 200ft tall wooden coaster built by RCCA and theme it to the Son of Kraken..........

But seriously with nothing know about this project except that it's 200 feet tall leaves all kinds of room for speculation over the coming year. Luckily backstage areas at SeaWorld are all fairly visible so I'm sure as soon as track shwos up on site we will know about it.

Does anyone rememebr the rumored B&M Hyper for Busch Gardens a few years back? I wonder if that project has been reproposed for SeaWorld.

But seriously with nothing know about this project except that it's 200 feet tall leaves all kinds of room for speculation over the coming year.

Great, now I'm dreaming of a 200ft tall Aquatrax

Here is one of my favorite pictures of these clowns outside the park. I will make sure to bring a carton of eggs with me next time

Ugh. That's right. God wants the orcas to be free so they can most likely die because they can't find food for themselves or be accepted by other wild orcas. He would also love it if no kid could see a live orca unless their family traveled to a far away place and paid a bunch of money on the hope that part of an orca could be seen through binoculars.

Because, y'know, those sorts of real connections are what really inspire kids to grow up to be marine biologists and take an interest in marine life and preservation. Not SeaWorld. SeaWorld's just a greedy, evil corporation that seeks to enslave animals and forces them to do tricks against their will. Idiots.

Ugh. That's right. God wants the orcas to be free so they can most likely die because they can't find food for themselves or be accepted by other wild orcas. He would also love it if no kid could see a live orca unless their family traveled to a far away place and paid a bunch of money on the hope that part of an orca could be seen through binoculars.

Because, y'know, those sorts of real connections are what really inspire kids to grow up to be marine biologists and take an interest in marine life and preservation. Not SeaWorld. SeaWorld's just a greedy, evil corporation that seeks to enslave animals and forces them to do tricks against their will. Idiots.

Odd that you should take a conservative ideal and throw it onto a largely liberal argument. But this is no place for political discussion; I'm pretty sure it's safe to say everyone on TPR would support Seaworld and end the Blackfish discussion there.

Gotta agree with a couple posts I've seen: it would be totally bada$$ to name this new coaster either Mako Shark or Megalodon. The fact that there isn't already a Megalodon coaster or ride out there is a total headscratcher. Plus, in spite of my better judgment on sharks, I find the idea of megalodons to be legitimately terrifying. In a good way.

I too would strongly prefer a manufacturer out of left field, for some fresh blood in the hyper world, so to speak. But I doubt that'll be the case.

SeaWorld was upgraded to a buy from neutral by Goldman Sachs, stock has been up over 3% most of the day. Just wanted to throw that out since many think it's on the ropes. I'm making bank on them in the mean time.

Sea World has filed for a 201' attraction with the FAA, so it looks like we have our height, just barely edging out Sheikra:

The filing also includes the construction timeline, which runs from June 2015 - May 2016, as well as a rough estimate of the location, putting it out by the retention pond behind Kraken/Shark Encounter, as rumored.

Here's a direct link to the filing. It'll likely be updated with a few more specific details in the coming days:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=250178937&row=2

Can't wait until May for the full announcement!

Pretty sure the same 200 foot limit applies to Disney. The Everest mountain is 200 feet tall and Cinderella castle is just below 200 feet. I'm assuming you need special permits to build anything over that.

Everything at Disney is 199.5 feet and that is only because they would have to put the red airplane warning lights on anything 200 feet or taller. Disney thinks this takes away from the themeing. ie: Tower of Terror is 199.5 feet tall because they thought flashing red lights do not match their old hotel theme.

Jane Goodall now?

The best thing about this article was someone in the comment section mentioning about how her opinion on marine life was like a mechanical engineer making comments about an electrical engineer's work.

Sorry Jane, but I cannot quit my day job to go live in a jungle studying chimps for 50 years like you. I would much rather see and learn about them at a zoo or park that I know takes care of their animals and serves a purpose in supporting the rescue/recovery of unfortunate animals that would otherwise die in the wild. This as well as educating us about creatures that we may never see in the flesh during our lifetime.

You can clearly see that CNN has their agenda against this park and will do what it takes to try and take them down.

It was awesome to see the animal show at Busch Gardens last week where Jack Hanna basically took a shit on CNN and Blackfish (he wouldn't call the movie out by name) and explained how BG and SW are involved in the care and healing of animals that otherwise wouldn't make it in the wild. Very powerful show...I will try to get a photo trip report up soon!

Edit - pulled the link. Eff CNN.

^Doesn't the total height include things like the handrails and such? (not that it makes a big difference)

Yea - the "actual" height is required for official filings, so I think it's safe to say that the track will top out at around 198 with the structure reaching a max of 201.