TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Their hashtag is #nothingfaster , which leads me to believe it will be a launched coaster. A b&m launched hyper perhaps? Who knows. I am just happy they are getting a new ride.

Edited by BintamiM

Here's hoping they theme it to whales and add more whales to upset the Blackfish bandwagon.

This is awesome news for SeaWorld, I always felt like they needed one more good coaster to make me want to go there each time I visit Orlando - and this should do it, unless it is a recent B&M trimmed hyper.

Here's my take on this news:

First of all, i think it's great that seaworld is getting a new ride that will be (for a little while) the biggest in Orlando. it's a great strategy to ease the GP away from the Blackfish controversy and bring up their revenues

I highly doubt that the hyper will be a Mack, since Mack hasn't built anything over 200 Ft. and may make some poor mistakes with the ride. A Chance-Morgan hyper would be interesting to see, since the nearest similar ride would be in TX (i think). but really, it probably boils down to either B&M or Intamin.

A B&M hyper would be cool, and because the company has had a long history with Seaworld, it's probably Seaworld's first choice. However, a ride like Skyrush @ Hersheypark would be sweet, as it wouldn't have any nearby clones and could probably have some cool themeing. Speaking of which, if the ride was themed to sharks, they could have guests exit into a redesigned shark habitat.

S&S launch coaster isn't reliable, those three at Happy Valleys have more down time than operating time!

Who said it can't be an RMC? Joel is the Sea World CEO, he did wonders with RMC so Sea World can definitely benefit from an a great RMC woodie. Especially when Florida doesn't have a large scale wooden coaster and the opening of SkyPlex won't affect them marketing it as the longest fastest tallest wooden coaster in Florida.

I wouldn't rule Mack out completely based on the fact they haven't built a hyper coaster, RCDB says they are building a 200 ft coaster (Lightning) for Lewa Happy World in China that should open this year. From what I have heard about Mack and the launched coasters they have built in the last couple years (Blue Fire and Helix specifically), I don't think 200 ft would present much of a problem. They have made the move into the bigger coasters and I don't remember hearing about many problems with their recent coasters.

As for the height of rides at Disney World (specifically the mountains), I thought the 199 ft height limit was self imposed by Imagineering because once a structure hit 200 ft it would require flashing beacons to meet FAA guidelines. Certain rides and structures could probably have a flashing light on top without ruining the theme (Spaceship Earth and Tower of Terror) but a flashing light at the top of Cinderella's Castle or Expedition Everest would ruin the "Disney magic."

I wouldn't rule Mack out completely based on the fact they haven't built a hyper coaster, RCDB says they are building a 200 ft coaster (Lightning) for Lewa Happy World in China that should open this year.

Thank you, I was wanting to say that reading through the last few pages. The hyper at Lewa Happy World has already gone vertical! Also, I do believe Helix was originally proposed to be over 200 feet, but Liseberg ended up wanting something that wouldn't stand out as much. Mack could also be involved with BGT's rumored spinning coaster...I'm not sure that would help or hurt the chances of Sea World going with Mack for their hyper, but it makes me think...

I have to say that a B&M Hyper is more than welcome at Sea World! I'm hoping it's Mack or Intamin (or RMC, lolz), but if it is B&M then at least it's not from Golden Horse. At this point their decision has been made, and we'll just have to wait to find out...I'll be that guy and bring up the blue-green track at B&M's plant in Ohio. That's definitely a Sea World-esque color.

S&S launch coaster isn't reliable, those three at Happy Valleys have more down time than operating time!

Who said it can't be an RMC? Joel is the Sea World CEO, he did wonders with RMC so Sea World can definitely benefit from an a great RMC woodie. Especially when Florida doesn't have a large scale wooden coaster and the opening of SkyPlex won't affect them marketing it as the longest fastest tallest wooden coaster in Florida.

Haha I figured S&S would be a no-go. I wasn't thinking S&S necessarily in my comment but rather just a launched out-and-back hyper coaster. Intamin or Mack could definitely pull that off, although I'd like to see B&M try. Or maybe we'll see the first all-steel RMC coaster. Or maybe the first all-steel launched RMC coaster. Or maybe the first launched wood coaster (from RMC, of course).

Like people have been saying, though, Seaworld isn't exactly in the best position to be pioneers. Still, I'd love to see these coasters somewhere.

Oh I hope Mack is behind this. Their coasters are incredible. I'd place them right behind Intamin on the "holy balls this is some wicked stuff" scale. They're not afraid to take risks, unlike some other ::cough::b&M::cough:: companies.

I'm impressed by this announcement, although a bit skeptical about what this means for the chain. I'm no blackfish supporter but I still think the Blue World project needs to happen. It's what's best for the animals and it simply looks amazing. Throwing in this $20-$25M project make it look like they're going to pull out of Blue World.

This is not to say I won't get excited about a coaster, though. I personally think it will be a B&M Hyper but I'd gladly take anything over 200 feet. For the sake of throwing out something that hasn't been mentioned yet, I think something like Bullet Coater at Happy Valley would be cool.

Why would they pull the plug on Blue World? It was already announced for all three parks. They said they were working on Blue World long before Blackfish even came out. The coaster is for 2016 and Blue World is for 2018. More than likely they've both (and any other future attractions that may be announced) been budgeted for quite some time.

^I guess that's true. It just seems like a lot to take on financially. The blue world project alone costs more than most parks spend on new attractions in 4 years. I don't know much about the new CEO, but under new management, could projects like this just kinda fade away?

^I guess that's true. It just seems like a lot to take on financially. The blue world project alone costs more than most parks spend on new attractions in 4 years. I don't know much about the new CEO, but under new management, could projects like this just kinda fade away?

SeaWorld, even with the drop in attendance, still gets 5-6 times more visitors each year than the average park.

SeaWorld, even with the drop in attendance, still gets 5-6 times more visitors each year than the average park.

Ugh thank you. People act like their SeaWorld accountants for God's sake. Yeah they took a hit but they are far from going under.

Nothing besides the fact that they're building a coaster has been announced, where are people getting $20-25 million from? I'm sure SeaWorld has more than enough money for both a new coaster and the new animals enclosures.

Nothing besides the fact that they're building a coaster has been announced, where are people getting $20-25 million from? I'm sure SeaWorld has more than enough money for both a new coaster and the new animals enclosures.

I just assumed that was a valid estimate for a price range; that statistic is not to be taken as fact. We still don't know who the manufacturer will be or how extensively the ride will be themed.

I don't think there are very many coasters 200ft tall that were under $20 million

I don't think there are very many coasters 200ft tall that were under $20 million

That may be so but it's still too early to assume that the addition of this coaster means the park can't also add the blue world exhibit.

That may be so but it's still too early to assume that the addition of this coaster means the park can't also add the blue world exhibit.

And to add, SeaWorld would look awful if they cancel plans to build the whales a bigger habitat then go on to build a roller coaster. That's just fuel for the animal rights extremists to go after them. They'll say "SeaWorld is more about entertainment for the guests than it is about the welfare of the animals."

Why do we put limitation and restrictions on coaster companies? Just because someone hasn't been built by a particular coaster firm doesn't mean it cannot be built by them. There was a time were B&M and Intamin didn't have coasters over 200ft, 300ft and looka here...now they do. I think its a common phrase for companies to say they can build just about anything,...its just the matter of the park wanting it.

Now I was severely sidetracked with this announcement! Did sea world really need another coaster? Im not complaining by any means but whoa...out of left field!