TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

So I have a question because I've never been to SeaWorld before and I'm going with my girlfriend for the first time next month. Can we get a list of animal feeding times online or do we find that out when we get to the park (she's mostly interested in the Dolphins).

Also, are there specific times you should visit Shamu Up Close? Their promotional material mentions that throughout the day they will have trainers there that will "enhance the experience". Should we plan around a certain time or just show up and see what's going on?

Normally feeding times are not listed online, you'll find that out in the park. Shamu Up Close is a 15 minute continuous show that goes on through the day. As long as you are not hitting the attraction 15 minutes before park close, you'll be able to see everything everyone else does.

http://micechat.com/54370-blackfish-backlash/ Heres another response from one of Tilikum's trainers.

So that's what, two of trainers that were featured in the film that have now come out and said that they were totally misled regarding what the film was to be about and they regret their involvement. And there have been articles from other trainers that also have said the film doesn't accurately show what goes on at SeaWorld.

Why are people STILL taking the word of "Hollywood" rather than the stories of these ACTUAL PEOPLE that helped in the first place?

This would be like if they made a movie about the Texas Giant accident and the filmmakers told RMC "Hey guys, we really need your involvement because this is going to be a film promoting the safety of amusement rides" and they go and do the interview and then it turns out that the movie is "KOASTERS KILL!!!" and they twisted their words around to make it sound like rides were unsafe.

Why can't people see this???

It's just so frustrating to me what our society has become....

Edited by robbalvey

I wonder if Blackfish will get an academy award nomination... "Waiting for Superman" was a captivating documentary in 2010 that was so one sided and fabricated that the academy refused to nominate it... So my question is, will blackfish get nominated? What's your take?

I wonder if Blackfish will get an academy award nomination... "Waiting for Superman" was a captivating documentary in 2010 that was so one sided and fabricated that the academy refused to nominate it... So my question is, will blackfish get nominated? What's your take?

I'm pretty sure it will. Part of me is saying that because I want to be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. But I also know how screwed up the academy really is, and I get the feeling they have played their cards much better than Waiting for Superman did.

All of this Blackfish talk inspired me to finally sit down and watch the film and see what's going on. Now, I went in with the knowledge I have been reading here for the last few months now, so that should probably be mentioned. Anyway, I felt that it was shot in an extremely sensationalist manner, that didn't really solve a story or have a true plot. They go from 'Whales are awesome' to 'capturing whales sucks' back to 'whales are awesome' and back to 'capturing whales sucks.' Then, it basically switches over and talks about how different trainers over the years have been attacked and injured.

I didn't like how it took every opportunity possible to say the name 'Sea World.' It must have been in the film over 100 times. I also didn't like how it discussed capturing whales back in the 70's, but then doesn't mention anything about what has improved or changed since then. It just kind of drops that point and goes into Tilikum being crazy. It says Sea World separating animals from their families back in the 1980's was bad, but then doesn't mention whether or not that practice is still occuring. It fails to mention all of the other non-Sea-World parks around the world that are probably worse off places for those animals to be.

At one point, they show some kind of incident report showing a list of every whale incident at Sea World. One of them started with 'Wearing a bikini, the trainer...' Really? An incident report would state the VERY FIRST THING as a trainer wearing a bikini? I highly doubt that.

It just annoyed me that all of it's 'facts' come from at least 25 years ago, and then there is no resolution about those facts. It just switches over to crazy whale sensationalism halfway through. I didn't find it to be a very informative or believable film due to its lack of resolutions, but I can totally see how today's America can eat it right up. Kind of sad and disappointed that I had to add one more view to the list. Anyway, just wanted to chime in on my opinion of the film.

^^With that said, Obama's America was left out last year and many thought it would be a shoe in as well. As one sided, stupid and farcical as it was. Hopefully the Academy will see this film for what it truly is. One sided propaganda produced by a few obviously angry individuals that had an axe to grind.

I will send a letter of congratulations to the academy if they pass on this one.

All of this Blackfish talk inspired me to finally sit down and watch the film and see what's going on. Now, I went in with the knowledge I have been reading here for the last few months now, so that should probably be mentioned. Anyway, I felt that it was shot in an extremely sensationalist manner, that didn't really solve a story or have a true plot. They go from 'Whales are awesome' to 'capturing whales sucks' back to 'whales are awesome' and back to 'capturing whales sucks.' Then, it basically switches over and talks about how different trainers over the years have been attacked and injured.

I didn't like how it took every opportunity possible to say the name 'Sea World.' It must have been in the film over 100 times. I also didn't like how it discussed capturing whales back in the 70's, but then doesn't mention anything about what has improved or changed since then. It just kind of drops that point and goes into Tilikum being crazy. It says Sea World separating animals from their families back in the 1980's was bad, but then doesn't mention whether or not that practice is still occuring. It fails to mention all of the other non-Sea-World parks around the world that are probably worse off places for those animals to be.

At one point, they show some kind of incident report showing a list of every whale incident at Sea World. One of them started with 'Wearing a bikini, the trainer...' Really? An incident report would state the VERY FIRST THING as a trainer wearing a bikini? I highly doubt that.

It just annoyed me that all of it's 'facts' come from at least 25 years ago, and then there is no resolution about those facts. It just switches over to crazy whale sensationalism halfway through. I didn't find it to be a very informative or believable film due to its lack of resolutions, but I can totally see how today's America can eat it right up. Kind of sad and disappointed that I had to add one more view to the list. Anyway, just wanted to chime in on my opinion of the film.

And this is all spoken by a rational person who was able to see the movie for what it was. The problem is, you're in the VAST minority and most people are just looking at it going "OMG! They put those whales in a bathtub and they kill people out of their rage because of it! FREE WILLY!!!" Without taking into consideration any of the points you just made.

It's almost like the film purposely disregards all of the improvements and discoveries that have been made since the 70s and 80s.

With that said, it DID get a BAFTA nomination: http://awards.bafta.org/award/2014/film

And if there is one thing I've learned over the years, if BAFTA seems to accept it, you have a pretty good chance of the Academy accepting it as well.

--Robb

^In fact, the person I watched it with was getting all tripped out by the information he was seeing. I constantly had to stop and be like 'Well, look, that was back in 1974. They haven't mentioned what's going on now.' I thought maybe they would, but it never happened.

I had kind of forgotten how much influence television has on people until I recently met somebody who thinks 'Coven' is real. No joke. Anyway....not much more to say about that.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/us/seaworld-record-revenue/

(CNN) -- Propelled by fourth-quarter attendance, SeaWorld expects an estimated $1.46 billion in revenue for fiscal year 2013, the company announced Monday.

The results, while preliminary, are expected to be a record for the 50-year-old company. SeaWorld reported total revenue in 2012 of $1.42 billion, according to SEC filings.

Strong attendance numbers at its flagship locations in Orlando, Florida, San Diego, California and San Antonio, Texas, among others, helped boost the marine park's gains, despite criticism sparked by a recent documentary that raised questions about killer whales in captivity.

"Blackfish," directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite and acquired by CNN at the Sundance Film Festival, first aired on October 24.

PETA takes on SeaWorld at Rose Parade

SeaWorld fights back on 'Blackfish'

Since then, at least nine musical acts, including Trace Adkins, Willie Nelson, Trisha Yearwood, Heart, Cheap Trick and Barenaked Ladies, have canceled planned concert appearances at the park while other artists, such as Joan Jett and Edgar Winter, have asked that their music no longer be used in shows featuring the sound-sensitive orcas.

SeaWorld has said "Blackfish" focuses on only a handful of events from the park's history and ignores its contributions to education, preservation and animal research.

In a news release, the company noted SeaWorld's animal rehabilitation program has rescued more than 23,000 animals as of late last year.

"We are very pleased with our fourth quarter performance, particularly for the SeaWorld-branded parks in Orlando and San Diego, which helped us to achieve record revenue for the year," said SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. President and CEO Jim Atchison in a news release.

"The success of the SeaWorld parks in 2013 suggests that the extraordinary experience offered in these parks is as meaningful today as at any point in our history. But as strong as last year was for us, we are looking forward to another great year in 2014."

What even is that article? There was no logical progression of those paragraphs, it goes from record breaking revenues to randomly mentioning when CNN acquired Blackfish. But they had to slip it in there so that SeaWorld can't have any good publicity even though they clearly deserve it. CNN is just trying to ride on Blackfish as long as people will care, and that could be a long time if it wins an Oscar.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/us/seaworld-record-revenue/

Since then, at least nine musical acts, including Trace Adkins, Willie Nelson, Trisha Yearwood, Heart, Cheap Trick and Barenaked Ladies, have canceled planned concert appearances at the park while other artists, such as Joan Jett and Edgar Winter, have asked that their music no longer be used in shows featuring the sound-sensitive orcas.

Translation: Celebrities are just as dumb as the next person.

I'm pretty sure it will. Part of me is saying that because I want to be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. But I also know how screwed up the academy really is, and I get the feeling they have played their cards much better than Waiting for Superman did.

we'll know tomorrow for sure (nom's announced)

apparently, here's the shortlist (the one's I'm expecting to see get Nom's I've bolded):

The Act of Killing - Final Cut for Real

The Armstrong Lie - The Kennedy/Marshall Company

Blackfish - Our Turn Productions

The Crash Reel - KP Rides Again

Cutie and the Boxer - Ex Lion Tamer and Cine Mosaic

Dirty Wars - Civic Bakery

First Cousin Once Removed - Experiments in Time, Light & Motion

God Loves Uganda - Full Credit Productions

Life According to Sam - Fine Films

Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer - Roast Beef Productions

The Square - Noujaim Films and Maktube Productions

Stories We Tell - National Film Board of Canada

Tim's Vermeer - High Delft Pictures

20 Feet from Stardom - Gil Friesen Productions and Tremolo Productions

Which Way Is the Front Line from Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington - Tripoli Street

although I would REALLY hope that "Blackfish" spot goes to "20 Feet from Stardom" instead . . . but I have a feeling "Blackfish" will get a nom (tho it most certainly won't win).

I loved "Which Way is the Front Line from Here?". . but the film just didn't work for anyone who wasn't already familiar with his work (unfortunately)

Hmmm...it looks like Barenaked Ladies is set to perform at Universal's Mardi Gras on February 15. If I'm not mistaken, they were set to play Sea World that day before they cancelled. I guess they had a non-refundable deposit on the LaQuinta Inn rooms.

Hmmm...it looks like Barenaked Ladies is set to perform at Universal's Mardi Gras on February 15. If I'm not mistaken, they were set to play Sea World that day before they cancelled. I guess they had a non-refundable deposit on the LaQuinta Inn rooms.

I'd love to be front row with a "Suck Orcas Dick" sign at their show, but no way I'm standing around for 8 hours to hold a spot, lol.

But Universal harshly imprisons dragons, hippogriffs, aliens, dinosaurs, and all kinds of other animals for entertainment purposes! Shame on them!

I thought this was worth sharing as another former trainer responds to Blackfish. It's worth a watch as I believe he makes some really good points as he responds to some of the criticism SeaWorld has taken.

This is a little long but it's really worth watching. It's very informative and is coming from someone who no longer has any ties to SeaWorld yet is still firmly on their side.

Edit: By the way Trace Adkins just checked into rehab so that may be the true reason he's missing the concert and he took it as an opportunity to pacify the whale huggers.