TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Humans are not designed to eat meat. That, my friend, has been fed to you since birth and its pretty ignorant of you to still believe such nonsense. Humans eat meat/milk/eggs because it tastes good. THATS IT.

Ok, so I wasn't going to reply to you until I saw this completely ridiculous statement. Please provide a link to your source.

Humans are biologically designed to eat a wide variety of plant and animal material. This makes our species omnivorous. Look at your teeth! They are divided into four distinct groups, which are incisors, canines, premolars, and molars. Each group specializes in a different task. Incisors are used for shearing sharply, canines are used for holding food and tearing it apart (like meat!), premolars are a basically a combination of canines and molars, and molars are used for grinding food into smaller pieces for digestion. Humans can live off plant matter, but they are designed to eat meat and plants. THATS IT.

Plants do not have a nervous system. Plants are not conscious.

For the record plants actually can react to outside forces (like insects and plant-eating animals) like most living beings. When damaged, some plants release chemicals that are nasty/poisonous to animals. Fruits and nuts are just the reproductive part of the plant, which isn't really supposed to feel or react to anything.

- Not really a nervous system, but close enough.

peoplemovermatt...

You clearly didn't read anything I posted. Seaworld, no matter what kind of seafood they sell, still supports COMMERCIAL FISHING, which in turn reeks havoc on the ocean and *the animals that live in it. Like sea turtles, sea horses, manta rays, dolphins and sharks..all of which, GASP, can be found at Seaworld for your viewing pleasure. Millions die every year due to reckless fishing practices. Why isn't Seaworld conserving these animals? Oh thats right, because those companies supply them with food. Regardless, just because Seaworld doesn't display a tuna, doesn't mean its ok for them to support killing them.

And ok. This is the best retort everyone seems to come up with? Seriously? Ill put it this way. Humans are a part of this planet, but we are MORALLY CONSCIOUS beings, something that is relatively unique to us. For example, we understand animals feel pain. And can suffer. They have interests. Therefore, continuing to kill them and exploit them is morally incomprehensible. Its wrong. Humans have been exploiting this planets resources since the dawn of time, yes, but that makes it ok? Humans killed 6 million jews and enslaved an entire race of people, too. Doesn't mean we should keep doing it what our past is made up of. Plants do not have a nervous system. Plants are not conscious. Fruits, for example, are meant to be eaten, thats part of why they exist. That argument is laughable and honestly, all around retarded. Besides, if you had to choose based on morality...i think the blank, motionless fruit or vegetable is a better choice than the screaming, struggling, bleeding animal.

Part of humans evolving is abandoning the idea that animals are here for humans to exploit. Its an out of date, ignorant thought process that clearly you still own.

Sorry Mikey - But I think this needs to be your final post on the subject. This is getting WAAAAAAY to far into one's "beliefs" rather than "opinions" and and it's just not the type of discussion we want on these forums.

--Robb

Fruits and nuts are just the reproductive part of the plant, which isn't really supposed to feel or react to anything.

I don't know about you, but MY reproductive system is quite reactive to different feelings.

Fruits and nuts are just the reproductive part of the plant, which isn't really supposed to feel or react to anything.

I don't know about you, but MY reproductive system is quite reactive to different feelings.

I 100% support this statement! Especially feelings like fondling, cradling, massaging, and stroking, etc.

I'm just going to throw my hat in the ring here and discuss an issue that many people may have missed. Yes it's blackfish related.

One of the things that hasn't been discussed is the current situation at CNN and why blackfish is getting the media attention it is.

As many of you probably know, Ted Turner/CNN essentially created the 24 hour news cycle in America. CNN was the ratings leader for years and controlled the majority of viewership in the US for cable news channels.It was hard news with little editorial. A few years ago, Fox News figured out that if they'd "editorialize" their news and pick a particular slant they'd strongly appeal to particular demographics/viewers and by giving an opinion their ratings went up dramatically.

What happened? CNN went from first to worst (well actually 3rd, but that sounded more dramatic).. For whatever reason American's love their news with a strong opinion.

Last year Jeffery Zucker - (former president of nbc/universal entertainment) was hired to bring CNN out of the dumps. His take was to remove as much of the hard news as possible and attempt to emulate Fox News' format. This entire "Blackfish" thing and all of its sensationalism is simply his effort to raise CNN ratings and make them the "FOX NEWS FOR LIBERALS".

Here's an interesting article that kind of addresses these things (nothing black fish related, but kind of gives and idea of why CNN is doing what they are doing)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/10/jeff-zucker-cnn/4422177/

Chris "mods, I know I'm a bit off topic, sorry" Con

SeaWorld Announces Record Year

http://www.abc27.com/story/24432180/seaworld-entertainment-inc-announces-record-performance

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Announces Record Performance

ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS) today announced preliminary revenue results for fiscal year 2013. The results are subject to completion of the Company's audit procedures.

Driven by record fourth quarter total attendance at the Company's SeaWorld-branded parks in Orlando, Fla., San Diego, Calif. and San Antonio, Texas, total revenue for 2013 is expected to be approximately $1.46 billion which would represent a full-year record for the Company in its 50-year operating history.

Additionally, the Company reaffirmed its full-year 2013 Adjusted EBITDA guidance range of $432 million to $442 million. Final earnings anywhere within the guidance range also would represent a full-year record for the Company.

"We are very pleased with our fourth quarter performance, particularly for the SeaWorld-branded parks in Orlando and San Diego, which helped us to achieve record revenue for the year," said Jim Atchison, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Company.

The Company expects to release final fourth quarter and fiscal year 2013 results in March 2014.

"In addition to the great holiday events that proved so popular last month, we have launched our year-long celebration of SeaWorld's 50th Anniversary. The success of the SeaWorld parks in 2013 suggests that the extraordinary experience offered in these parks is as meaningful today as at any point in our history," Atchison said. "But as strong as last year was for us, we are looking forward to another great year in 2014."

The fourth quarter also saw several other notable events for the Company, including Standard and Poor's upgrade of the Company's corporate credit rating as well as the completion of an underwritten secondary offering by the selling stockholders affiliated with The Blackstone Group L.P. of 18 million shares of the Company's common stock and the concurrent repurchase by the Company of 1.5 million shares of the Company's common stock directly from such selling stockholders.

In addition to noteworthy financial performance, Atchison said the Company also achieved a different kind of milestone in 2013: The Company's stranded animal rehabilitation program passed the 23,000-rescue mark late last year.

^^That's really funny you posted that! We were just talking today at lunch about how CNN has finally jumped on the FOX News bandwagon! Interesting to see it pretty much confirmed. Although I think CNN gave up being a news site as soon as they paired up Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin!

^^That's really funny you posted that! We were just talking today at lunch about how CNN has finally jumped on the FOX News bandwagon! Interesting to see it pretty much confirmed. Although I think CNN gave up being a news site as soon as they hired Kathy Griffin for more than 1 year!

Fixed

I guess the $50 tickets saved them. I wish other parks could do that.

^^^^Don't get me started. I look at a serious journalist like Martin Savidge and I see pain in his eyes. Why can't they release this man chained to the anchor chair from his sorrowful captivity and allow him to thrive in his natural environment - the field, as an ethical newsman?

http://themedreality.wordpress.com/2013/12/21/retraction-of-sorts-of-comments-about-cnn/

SeaWorld Announces Record Year

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Announces Record Performance

ORLANDO, Fla., Jan. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS) today announced preliminary revenue results for fiscal year 2013. The results are subject to completion of the Company's audit procedures.

That is very good news! Hopefully they'll bump up the dividend a little bit based on these results.

They nets have all been taken down now!

There are actually two nets that are permanently up right behind the unload area where the water and land meet, they where re-themed to match the surrounding. They've been cemented to the ground, as they look like. I can take a photo next time I'm there.

1035716802_ScreenShot2014-01-13at6_26_31PM.png.0e26ed99618cda33d595ce61890d7e77.png

You can see the nets to the right. They only extend two links where the penguins where jumping out. (unintentionally). I'll take a better photo later, this is one a friend of mine took for me today.

So I have a question because I've never been to SeaWorld before and I'm going with my girlfriend for the first time next month. Can we get a list of animal feeding times online or do we find that out when we get to the park (she's mostly interested in the Dolphins).

Also, are there specific times you should visit Shamu Up Close? Their promotional material mentions that throughout the day they will have trainers there that will "enhance the experience". Should we plan around a certain time or just show up and see what's going on?

I went and checked out Wild Days this Sunday, mainly to see Jack Hanna, but I figured I check the other stuff out as well.

Had a funny moment with some Asian tourists at Dolphin Point right when the park opened. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the asian tourists and their weird ideology that it's more important for people to know you were some place then to actually enjoy your time there. This is why they take sooooo many pictures of themselves standing in front of things, gotta show off to the people back home. Well this lady is standing next to me with her family, waiting for the dolphins come by so they can pet them. She's there for a good 15 minutes, but they aren't really getting close to the edge. Eventually her husband turns her around and wants to get a picture of her in front of the dolphin tank. As he's setting up the shot, a dolphin comes by and actually stops on the little ledge on the edge of the pool, right in front of me and right behind her. I start to pet it, until it starts splashing its tail. I take a couple quick steps back to avoid getting soaked, but this lady hangs in their and lets her back get completely drenched just to take this photo. The way the wall is set up, the dolphin was hidden from the cameras view, but she still had to get that shot.

On with the event though. I did the special showing of Blue Horizons first. This is probably my favorite year round show in Orlando and while the show itself was as awesome as always, the special Wild Days tag was disappointing. They brought the Pilot Whales out and had a trainer basically brag about how great SeaWorld is and how the government wanted them to house the whales. Total feel good campaign for the park, and the whales didn't do anything but eat some fish along the edge of the pool. Not a great start to the event for me.

I dipped out of the stadium after the show, over to the Nautilus Theatre to get a good seat for the 11:00 Jack Hanna show. They had some hilarious bloopers during the pre show, but most of it was more "look how great SeaWorld is". He kicked off the show by talking about the documentary for about five minutes and pointed out Dawn's mother in the crowd. He had nothing but great things to say about the park, and their conservation efforts. I'd like to think a guy his age, who's been doing this for so long, isn't just doing it for the money and actually means what he says. It was a really touching moment and a great way to start off the show. The show itself involved a lot of animals being brought out onto the stage where he would give a little background on each and tell a few funny stories. He's a fascinating guy and I could have listened to him talk about different animals all day long. But the show ended and I hopped in line to meet him. Got a chance to thank him for his remarks about Blackfish and let him know that I support SeaWorld. He seemed to really appreciate it, and shook my hand three times, lol. This was the highlight of the event by far.

Went to do Shamu Up Close next, and this was the lowpoint of the day. They advertise it as a continuos show in the back pool. Well I stood around for an hour and the only excitement I got to see was a trainer throwing some ice chunks to the orcas. They kept repeating over the PA that if anyone had any questions they should ask one of the employees walking around. Of course whenever they did that, the employees would get bombarded with people wanting to know when the show would start. They just kept saying it was up to the trainers, but I only ever saw that one trainer get close to the pool. Very disappointing.

I finished out my afternoon with Pet's Ahoy, one of the other Wild Days shows, and the only show I hadn't seen at SeaWorld. Unlike Blue Horizons, there was no preshow tag. The show itself is hilarious, and has a TON of animals in it. I enjoyed it much more than say Clyde and Seymour, where the emphasis seems way more on the script than the animals. The trainers talked for maybe three minutes total in the whole show which I was happy with. I feel like One Ocean and the Clyde and Seymour shows don't focus nearly enough on the animals. It's a whole lot of talking. Blue Horizons has a lot of non-dolphin portions, but at least the cast are doing wicked acrobatics during these portions. Anyway the special tag on Pets Ahoy began after the show ended when at least half the theatre had already left their seats; not great planning. It really only involved the trainers talking about adopting pets, and was about as entertaining as an infomercial on the subject.

I skipped the Clyde and Seymour Wild Days show, just because I'm not a huge fan, and I figured there's three more weeks to see it. Overall I was disappointed in the event, but the Jungle Jack show itself was awesome!

1139827551_ScreenShot2014-01-14at9_42_22AM.png.4037651a5ab28e1dbfc8e0a809ad6fd6.png

Something I'll remember forever!

728766760_ScreenShot2014-01-14at9_42_32AM.png.c659f59d7390e38fd259f52ea6a72966.png

He talked a lot about Cheetah Run over at Busch Gardens here.

1956230144_ScreenShot2014-01-14at9_42_42AM.png.bce29492a67aa9c8157d2b736c58864e.png

Pumba!

1999784640_ScreenShot2014-01-14at9_42_50AM.png.68a53c62a3a97e562099602037aecbab.png

Snow Leopard

2142233840_ScreenShot2014-01-14at9_42_59AM.png.dfe5a63f0d6c940f7ea60c438d1d16eb.png

The Pilot Whale tag. Seriously, this is it. I wanted to get some more pictures, but they just led them to their back pool after this and started the regular show.

1126065619_ScreenShot2014-01-14at9_43_16AM.png.5bb05e6a15e2b2764667fbac00159f16.png

Love the Pet's Ahoy set!

2014483422_ScreenShot2014-01-14at9_43_23AM.png.b995d9ddb26021416edc884f4b626d94.png

That awning thing was filthy. Seems like bringing guests backstage would have been a perfect excuse to clean up back here...