TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I don't support them capturing orcas, but they don't! They captured the first orca that ever went to a Seaworld Park! Then after that they purchased them from other parks. If an orca is to be released it should be tilikum. He is the worlds largest captive orca! I wonder if the people that are saying they need to be released have heard of Keiko? The star of the first couple Free Willy movies. He couldn't be in the last ones because he is dead! Dead! And you know why he is dead? Because he couldn't find his family, and didn't know how to hunt for food. If all of these whales where put in a sea pen, found their family, and learned to hunt. Then they might as well let them free. But the chances of that happening are as likely as me riding another Vekoma. A.K.A Never happening! Or arrow for that matter!

There were a great deal of successful Change.org campaigns to get the bands to cancel. Fans are pressuring the bands to quit.

Calling them successful is a stretch - they may have got the bands to cancel but I believe most of them only had 10k. Cheap Trick's petition only had 3,674 supporters - Bayside Stadium holds more people than that. Heck, for a park that will draw around 20k on a Bands, Brew, BBQ having 10k people, most who probably don't ever go to Sea World, sign a petition is a drop in the bucket. I know someone who did some rearch and found, by using Facebook's ad software, that very few people like both a certain band and Blackfish compared to liking a that same band and Sea World.

The bands are cancelling for PR. I haven't dug deep enough but I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least Cheap Trick and Heart have the same management/agent. When was the last time Cheap Trick made headlines? 1980? Cancel one show and suddenly they are a top story on the AP wire.

I understand people who believe orcas shouldn't be kept in captivity, they have a right to have their own opinions. But once again I ask, why is SeaWorld being picked out as the only people who keep whales in captivity? I've been to plenty of aquariums and zoos where large sea creatures are kept in smaller sized tanks than the ones at SeaWorld, but nobody cares about those.

When I went to SeaWorld this year, it was obvious they care about their animals for a few reasons:

1. If the whales weren't cared for, they wouldn't be healthy enough to perform their maneuvers.

2. If they didn't like performing, they wouldn't listen to the trainers.

3. The animals look very happy while performing, and they and their trainers definitely have a bond.

I understand people who believe orcas shouldn't be kept in captivity, they have a right to have their own opinions. But once again I ask, why is SeaWorld being picked out as the only people who keep whales in captivity?

Because they are the biggest.

But really other places are consistently under fire, places like Loro Parque and many places in Japan. It is just what the media picks up on that you hear about, and the media is picking up what is being said about SeaWorld.

I have to disagree cutting the bands out makes it look like Sea World has given in. If I were them I'd be searching the Twitter-verse or looking back to artists who have supported Sea World in the past, the bigger name the better, and even over-paying them if needed to show up and play... show the world that the show goes on even without B(and C)-list bands cancelling. If they can get some BIG name to come out as say "yes I AM playing Sea World" that could be huge.

What surprises me is that some bigger bands haven't yet had the balls to come out and support the park in defiance of this utter lunacy.

This is a really good read about all this SeaWorld stuff happening right now. Click and read:

http://themedreality.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/can-a-beluga-make-jokes-about-a-blackfish/

Like I have said before, the film wasn't really about the animals, the film was about the filmmakers and the distributors (CNN) making a LOT of money. And this article very politely explains all that.

Before Blackfish was released to the United States, I did a small project for Sustainability Marketing where I researched the various programs companies within the Attractions Industry are doing to promote sustainable causes. Even after seeing Blackfish, I still can't discredit all of the great things SeaWorld and Busch are doing to promote education and conservation. Long story short, SeaWorld pretty much indicates without directly saying it that animals belong in their natural habitats before captivity. However, due to past events decades before, they are still obligated today to care for the animals and their offspring that have been brought into captivity by previous leadership and other related companies. Simply releasing these animals who have been bread and are residing in captivity would spell a painful, deadly, and inhumane ending. Today, SeaWorld uses their animals to generate money of course, but they are also using their animals and money generated from them to fund education and conservation programs. This concept is adopted by not only SeaWorld, but many zoos and aquariums worldwide. Blackfish hardly scratches or even meets the surface of the big picture of SeaWorld and everything they do.

Do I think SeaWorld has been perfect? Absolutely not. But I do believe that they are a model company for their industry, and that they are always striving to improve the safety and well-being of their animals and employees. Keep your eyes out, it wouldn't surprise me to see some serious marketing about what they have done to improve the quality of life for their animals and the safety of their employees. If anything, I believe SeaWorld will come out of all of this even stronger than before Blackfish.

SeaWorld is so much more than those whale shows. Anyone who only sees SeaWorld as "the place where whales are forced to do tricks" without looking at the bigger picture is, in my meaningless opinion, a huge moron.

I feel like someone with more time than me should pull up all of the past venues/countries/corporations all of these stupid bands that are pulling out of Sea World have played in the past. I guarantee they have played for tyrants, murderers, thieves, homophobic countries, etc. This whole 'controversy' just shows me even more how dumb people are.

The movie title Blackfish is itself stupid considering that whales are mammals and not fish. Just goes to show there's plenty of stupid going around these days. I love Sea World and so does my son and we plan to go visit this coming weekend. I'm sure the company will weather the storm and come out just fine in the end.

^ I saw them at Artpark near Buffalo NY last summer because tickets were $5. In previous years the tickets were free at Artpark because they made enough money on beer to pay the band and still make a huge profit.

This is a stupid decision, if they ever come back to Buffalo I'm not going to see them in protest. I wasn't going to see them again anyway but now I can huff and puff about it.

I know most of these bands work the State Fair circuit. I wouldn't be surprised if they shared the same management or promotion companies, and they're all just jumping on this without thinking about it.

None of these bands have had ANY press in ten or twenty years, so it's a great way for them to get their names in the news. I'm pretty sure 99% don't have any idea what SeaWorld is. Musicians are not the smartest people on the planet...

dt

This seems like a perfect opportunity to expand on the Bud & BBQ concept to a full on Food & Wine festival-type event with the live music as a side offering. The park could hire local BBQ joints to serve up samplings of their popular dishes and local breweries can serve up the drinks. There will be less emphasis on live music - any bands that choose to stay can do so.

Not only would this be a good way to bring people to the parks despite the controversy, it would also be great advertising for local restaurants and breweries.

Food and Wine was a big hit in Williamsburg. Might as well expand it to other parks.