TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

^ Why in the world would Sea World agree to be interviewed by someone obviously out to diminish their product and destroy their business?

The way I see it, Sea World already has their side of the story out there. The parks are still open. The shows are still on. The professionals stay professional.

^ Why in the world would Sea World agree to be interviewed by someone obviously out to diminish their product and destroy their business?

The way I see it, Sea World already has their side of the story out there. The parks are still open. The shows are still on. The professionals stay professional.

I didn't say it would be a good move on their part, I said I would have liked to see it. You have a point about the fact that the parks are open and it speaks volumes. I'd just like to see a documentary/program put out by Seaworld before picking a side.

The thing the bothered me the most was how they took some of the whales away from their mothers too early. In addition to how it allegedly emotionally scarred the mothers and babies, I'd honestly find it more interesting to see a family of whales performing instead of a fabricated pod. I'm no marine biologist but if they could perform as a family I bet it would cut down on the fighting seen on the program and make it a bitter comfortable for the whales.

Not trying to start a fight and I admit I don't know as much about the topic as I'd like to, this is just assuming Blackfish was correct. I'm allegedly going to BGT next week, if it rains we're probably going to Seaworld instead. I'd like to see one of these shows and learn more about them. It's definitely a topic I'd like to be more informed on.

I think my issue with all sorts of these 'type' of documentaries is why we feel one animal is above another?

Is it because they're cute? Or bigger? Or deemed smarter? Don't we learn new things about animals and species every day. Haven't they just decided that dolphins are no longer as smart as we originally thought?

Why aren't they advocating to release all of the sharks back into the wild? Why do we only care about certain animals? How many of the people involved in the documentary have pets at home? By now through all of the breeding and generations aren't some of these orcas 'domesticated' like pets? The whole thing to me just seems dumb. SeaWorld is obviously not harming these animals on purpose to make a profit, and they do a TON of good out in the real world.

That movie had different opinions on me. I actually got into marine science because of seaworld. Without seaworld 80% of marine scientists wouldn't be in that field. They all dreamed of working with dolphins and whales. I'm guessing most of them were inspired by seaworld.

The beginning of the documentary (bias thing called) actually made me want to train killer whales more. (I wanted to do it since I was 3) Those trainers know the risks and would risk their lives for the whales. Seaworld didn't comment because they didn't want their own words to be twisted around and used against them so it's just easier to be quiet.

People don't realize the good that seaworld does and that's their own opinion but I've been and experienced the back stages of seaworld and got to tube feed a dolphin that couldn't swim. It's great all the conservation they do.

I might not be all for everything seaworld does, but without seaworld I would not be where I am today. So they can try to get all the money they want from that documentary but it's not going towards anything good like a ticket to seaworld does. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382726653.186348.jpg.dcab368364dcd4b93f9e83352ea884f5.jpg

^Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I think that there are many on this site that agree with you as they are either in the biz, or as enthusiasts, they are already well aware of all the good things that Sea World does for marine life and conservation.

It's the GP you have to worry about...the one's that see a documentary or a piece on the news that is obviously biased and they base their own views on those reports alone and never take the time to research a bit further.

I think my issue with all sorts of these 'type' of documentaries is why we feel one animal is above another?

Is it because they're cute? Or bigger? Or deemed smarter? Don't we learn new things about animals and species every day. Haven't they just decided that dolphins are no longer as smart as we originally thought?

Why aren't they advocating to release all of the sharks back into the wild? Why do we only care about certain animals? How many of the people involved in the documentary have pets at home? By now through all of the breeding and generations aren't some of these orcas 'domesticated' like pets? The whole thing to me just seems dumb. SeaWorld is obviously not harming these animals on purpose to make a profit, and they do a TON of good out in the real world.

I totally agree. I remember the whole Dolphin safe tuna thing. If the Dolphins taste good, throw them in the cans!

It's the GP you have to worry about...the one's that see a documentary or a piece on the news that is obviously biased and they base their own views on those reports alone and never take the time to research a bit further.

The GP are not smart. They will only focus on this only for as long as until the next thing comes along they they are told to focus on. And when that happens, they will all be back at SeaWorld eating Shamu bars and watching the sea lion show.

I highly doubt this will any long term (or even short term) effects on SeaWorld or any other marine life park.

^Exactly. The whole KONY thing comes to mind. As soon as the news finds their next disaster, tragedy, or controversy, no one is going to care about this movie except for animal rights activists.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Aquatica teaser has been released:

Orlando, Fla. (November 11, 2013) - Get ready to brave a watery free-fall at Aquatica Orlando’s all-new water thrill slide coming in 2014 – Ihu’s Breakaway Falls. The drop slide will be the tallest, steepest and only multi-slide ride of its kind in Orlando.

The slide is named after Ihu, Aquatica Orlando’s colorful gecko, who searches for the biggest thrills, steepest hills and the coolest spills in the waterpark.

Check out the latest video designers released revealing more clues about Ihu’s Breakaway Falls:

So from the looks of things I'm guessing this is going to be a fairly large body slide structure maybe with the Aqua Loop trap door thingys? I really liked Aquatica so another slide is a welcome addition.

Does anyone know how tall Summit Plummit is? I'm kind of surprised it has taken a water park in Orlando this long to go after the "tallest slide" title.

So from the looks of things I'm guessing this is going to be a fairly large body slide structure maybe with the Aqua Loop trap door thingys? I really liked Aquatica so another slide is a welcome addition.

Does anyone know how tall Summit Plummit is? I'm kind of surprised it has taken a water park in Orlando this long to go after the "tallest slide" title.

I don't think it's taller than Summit Plummit, as it says tallest slide of it's "kind" in Orlando. Based on the teasers it isn't going to be a tall body slide.

Summit Plummet is about 120 feet tall, the tallest in the United States until Verruckt opens.

To get the title of "tallest of its kind in Orlando" Aquatica's new slide will have to be taller than Der Stuka at Wet 'n Wild, which is six stories tall.

It could be something along the lines of Vanish Point at Water Country USA in Williamsburg--perhaps bigger? (Just a thought.)

The "helix" slides have trapdoor drops.

Edited by cfc

^You mean the teasers that show 3 people laying on their backs on a waterslide that suddenly "drop" out of the screen? Yeah there's no way this will be a body slide......

Oops, I just meant straight body slide, without the the drop capsule. A drop capsule taller than Summit Plummit would be insane. Sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...

Bare Naked Ladies backing out of Bands, Brew and BBQ event after watching Blackfish.

I never realized that this band was even remotely popular anymore. I would have thought that they would have been lucky to have sold 500 tickets to our county fair, let alone play a gig at Sea World!

Link

^ Dumb. It really sucks how much unfair bad press SeaWorld has gotten out of this.

I think someone needs to make a documentary on how documentaries with agendas of garnering praise, awards, and notoriety from the filmmaker community hidden behind subject matter that the masses doesn't understand and therefore causes them to go on a witch hunt against one company, is actually VERY harmful for our society, economics, and overall, morale.

I refuse to believe that the filmmakers ever felt sorry for the animals, and have only created the film to highlight themselves as controversial filmmakers to draw attention to themselves so they'll get a bigger paycheck on their next project.

We saw the same thing against McDonalds when "Super Size Me" came out, remember? Even though it was proven that other fast food chains had even less heathier food on their menus, McDonalds got all the crap flung at them because it was "in the movie" and the public was too stupid to figure it out on their own.

It's disgusting.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^ Dumb. It really sucks how much unfair bad press SeaWorld has gotten out of this.

I think someone needs to make a documentary on how documentaries with agendas of garnering praise, awards, and notoriety from the filmmaker community hidden behind subject matter that the masses doesn't understand and therefore causes them to go on a witch hunt against one company, is actually VERY harmful for our society, economics, and overall, morale.

I refuse to believe that the filmmakers ever felt sorry for the animals, and have only created the film to highlight themselves as controversial filmmakers to draw attention to themselves so they'll get a bigger paycheck on their next project.

We saw the same thing against McDonalds when "Super Size Me" came out, remember? Even though it was proven that other fast food chains had even less heathier food on their menus, McDonalds got all the crap flung at them because it was "in the movie" and the public was too stupid to figure it out on their own.

It's disgusting.

--Robb

(Apologies if this video is a little strange...)

^^ I agree, Robb...it really is sad to see people go on a witch hunt based on what they saw in someone's jaded documentary. I think it was clear to see that BNL backed out as to not piss off their 750 fans worldwide!

Personally, I would LOVE to be able to go to this event to see Willie Nelson and hit up Sea World's awesome coasters and shows...hope someone will do a trip report for this one!

People can be disturbingly naive are when it comes to documentaries which have an activist bent - they just seem to believe that everything they say is 100% accurate with no agenda whatsoever. What happened to critical thinking?!

I'm also appalled by the torrent of unsubstantiated bile directed I've seen towards Sea World Gold Coast, a completely unrelated park which doesn't even have any killer whales!

^ Yeah, I agree. I mean, you should have seen the messages I got when I posted a picture of the SeaWorld float at the Macy's Day parade. The amount of stupidity surrounding this is amazing. But you know, people just feel better about themselves when they think they are an "expert" on a subject and can preach. I suspect this will last a few months and then go away.

Just sucks that SeaWorld has to go through all this...

*Most* of the animals at SeaWorld are now born there anyway, so all they know is the life they get at SeaWorld. Food handed to them when they want, injuries treated when/if they happen, and no predators to speak of. Bottom line these animals are pampered not mistreated.