TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I agree with you though, it's going to have to be something pretty impressive, even for a family ride, to live up to the statements they made at the press event.

Exactly. Brian Morrow stated that this will be "the most thrilling family ride in Orlando". That's quite a bold statement right there as it would have to be more thrilling than Spiderman and Forbidden Journey. Heck if he can just match those rides thrill-factor and have it in a really beautiful physical environment I will be happy. After seeing how good of a job they did with Manta I have faith.

They really did do a nice job on Manta, pretty much perfect if you ask me. I hope someone can dig up some info on this ride system. They did make some pretty bold statements considering the family attractions already in Orlando. It's probably more likely that they don't consider those rides to be family rides. I mean Spidey and FJ cost a ton of money and Seaworld just isn't going to put 100 million plus in a ride. Robb's probably on target with the DK type ride. Could it be better than Haunted Mansion or Pirates, maybe, and that would still be pretty good. Very bold statement indeed.

Florida's been giving us something new every year since 2009 (as far as I remember).

'09- Manta AND Rip, Ride Rockit

'10- Wizarding World

'11- Cheetah Hunt and Legoland

and now we're getting;

'12- Despicable Me, New Spiderman, Turtle Trek, AND Freshwater Oasis.

'13- Antarctica

Another reason why living in Florida = awesomeness. Now if only they could lower those prices a bit.. Hey, I can dream. Can't I?

That teaser about what Antartica is going to be is going to nag in the back of my head, springing outlandish ideas until it is actually announced what kind of ride system it uses.

Warning: Outlandish Pipedream ahead.

Could it be possible to combine the trackless technology of Pooh with the the motion base technology of Transformers/Spiderman to create a family friendly, yet thrilling, multi-experience attraction, utilizing the screens as well as taking different vehicle paths?

I can dream

Yeah, I guess it is possible they don't consider Spidey and FJ family rides. They did qualify that statement right afterword by putting the emphasis on family.

The next few years in Orlando is going to be great. Don't forget to add Avatar for '15 as well. I also expect to hear from Universal about WWoHP expansion plans in the next couple years.

I'm picturing one of the more advanced Sally systems for the Penguin ride. Something like the shooting rides they have at Walibi Belgium and at Terra Mitica. Especially when Sea World mentioned alternate rides and endings as I know those rides offer that.

Hmm, I don't see how a slow-moving, on-rails Sally shooter could ever be the most thrilling family ride in Orlando. However, I have not been on any of their new ride systems so maybe they have come a long way.

I love the idea of a Pooh's Hunny Hunt-type ride system! Imagine that roving around a big room of ice encountering predators. It would also definitely be unique in America.

^What was teased to us during the media event was that the ride would offer guests the experience of seeing Antarctica through the eyes of a penguin, hinting that this would include ALL of the penguin experience. I'm no penguin expert, but even in Antarctica, there are predators. That mixed with what SeaWorld is billing as the "coldest attraction ever developed," has the ability to be more than what any of us could come to expect so far.

I'm giving SeaWorld the benefit of the doubt that their claims are going to be more than valid. I haven't been disappointed by any of their recent projects, so I can't expect to start with this one.

There's a tv show in the UK called Frozen Planet. Last week it showed a Sealion trying to catch a penguin. Both of them were useless on land and it was quite funny watching them slide about (maybe less funny at the time for the penguin). Maybe the ride could be based round that?

Antartica does sound incredibly ambitious, glad to see SeaWorld going for it with this installation. I agree that it is more likely to feature the more exciting part of penguins life. The ice sliding, diving, swimming, hunting and escaping from predators all would translate to a coaster / dark ride hybrid. As opposed to say, standing in sub zero temps in a massive group keeping the eggs warm at your feet, not eating for months, while freezing winds howl away.

While i don't ever expect to see the entire land of Antartica replicated outside of Orlando, I could see them taking the ride itself and cloning it over to the other parks in the chain along with a version of the 3D film in the future.

I'm picturing one of the more advanced Sally systems for the Penguin ride. Something like the shooting rides they have at Walibi Belgium and at Terra Mitica. Especially when Sea World mentioned alternate rides and endings as I know those rides offer that.

Did they actually mention that at the press conference? I "heard" that was an idea, but I didn't see anything in print. Based on what I've heard, I'm more excited about this than Fantasyland 2.0 .

Orlando Pete- Remember they said, "thrilling FAMILY ride" ....

..... ( you aren't shooting the penquins, you are saving them from predators or directing them to their next destination)

News:

Orlando, FL - PETA to sue Sea World in District Court in Orlando for ride concept that suggests riders of a "dark ride" attraction shoot at penquins.

I kid, I kid.

Actually some PETA organizers have developed their own plans.

Clicky

After doing some snooping, it turns out that they're trying to organize a boycott against Sea World to raise awareness of the plight of the animals in captivity (as if they don't do this already) and using the Occupy tagline to grab attention (as usual) to their cause.

Did they actually mention that at the press conference? I "heard" that was an idea, but I didn't see anything in print. Based on what I've heard, I'm more excited about this than Fantasyland 2.0 .

Orlando Pete- Remember they said, "thrilling FAMILY ride" ....

..... ( you aren't shooting the penquins, you are saving them from predators or directing them to their next destination)

Yeah, I noted the family part, however Sally doesn't make a ride that could be considered thrilling. Unless they plan the visuals to be the thrilling part? If they did a Sally shooter, it would be no more thrilling than other family shooter rides in Orlando such as Toy Story Mania or Men in Black. Anyway, I guess I just don't want to see a shooter in any way, shape or form.

News:

Orlando, FL - PETA to sue Sea World in District Court in Orlando for ride concept that suggests riders of a "dark ride" attraction shoot at penquins.

I kid, I kid.

Actually some PETA organizers have developed their own plans.

Clicky

After doing some snooping, it turns out that they're trying to organize a boycott against Sea World to raise awareness of the plight of the animals in captivity (as if they don't do this already) and using the Occupy tagline to grab attention (as usual) to their cause.

Oh Lord.