TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coyote Canyon Theme Park

http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=791337

Coyote Canyon Theme Park to Roll into Florence

Another theme park is in the works southeast of the Valley. It's called Coyote Canyon and it offers plenty of thrills with a western theme.

"We're in the planning stages and we have a lot of effort going on right looking for construction partners and getting the rest of our sponsorship money in place," says John Yurcaba with One Dream, One Team.

He says the 1,200-acre park has already been approved by the City of Florence where it'll be located and he says it has the governor's blessing as well.

"We're looking at three different pieces to our pie. The first one being the theme park. The second one being what we call the CityWalk. The CityWalk will encompass numerous retail opportunities, restaurants, more sit down type."

Then there'll be an area with movies, a bowling alley and maybe even a 9-hole golf course.

At the theme park, you can expect some breathtaking rides. "A roller coaster that is going to be approximately a 300-foot drop down into a canyon. That I'm looking forward to," says CEO Kim Tucci.

She says there's also a coaster planned called the Thunderbird. "That one has a 250 vertical foot drop straight down."

The company hopes to break ground on the $600 million project this fall with the grand opening no later than spring of 2010.

"We're very excited. We found some great individuals already who have shown a great interest in this project. They're excited about it happening in the state," says Yarcuba.

But what about Decades, the rock-n-roll theme park planned for Eloy? "I think we both surprised each other," he says.

The parks future website is http://www.coyotecanyonthemepark.com/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think that a theme park would have opened long ago in the Phoenix or Tucson area (and I'm not talking Golf 'N' Stuff). Maybe this'll work out, maybe not.

BTW, what coaster is that on the park's future website? It must be KI's Racer, KD's Rebel Yell, or Carowinds' Thunder Road.

Eric

Another park for AZ!?!?

I'm still kind of iffy wether or not this will go through. I hope it does. But the description sounds too big. Maybe it's just me but I don't think they'll be able to deliver, if plans go through that is.

The timing of this announcement, some of the wording in the article and the poor quality of their website (including a picture of someone else's rollercoaster?!) kinda made me think 'April Fools' - But I am probably just being synical!

If it goes through it could be good, but I'm with Elissa - I'd put my money on Dubai!

• 2 weeks later...

Another article has hit the news. Seems the proposed park is still porgressing. Money is getting put together, land has been choosen and city officials have been in discussion. The article says that parks website will go active tomorrow.

Guess we will have to see if this park actually gets built or if it falls through in the length process of apporvals, city votes and money

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19473352&BRD=1817&PAG=461&dept_id=222076&rfi=6

Kim L. Tucci, CEO of One Dream One Team, said the state's rapid growth in recent years has yet to bring everything a population needs, including a major theme park. The complete development will encompass three corners of the intersection. After the park, the team hopes to build a related "CityWalk" with retail, dining and family amusements such as bowling and Imax movies on another corner, then a hotel on a third corner. The complete plan could cost $600 million.

"Something like this will bring in so many people, this town will probably liven up a little," Tucci said in an interview last week.

She expects Coyote Canyon Theme Park to someday draw 10,000 people a day from Arizona and other southwestern states. The group's Web site is expected to be up tomorrow at www.coyotecanyonthemepark.com.

Tucci said the park could employ between 800 and 1,500 people, about 25 percent of whom would be in salaried positions.

A consultant is currently at work on the park's master plan, which the group hopes to present to the Town Council in about three months. The team hopes to break ground in the fall.

Tucci, 43, of Magma Ranch in Florence, describes herself as a single mother whose previous business ventures have included a restaurant and a swimming pool company. She and the four other women in One Dream One Team haven't done anything on this scale before. "We're ordinary homebodies, blue collar workers who work every day." Tucci and one of the partners, Carolyn Helm, have been working on the future theme park for 10 years. The other members of the team are Melinda S. Martinez, LouVelle Poncho and Maria E. Puente.

The group isn't asking for the government's help in the form of tax dollars, but hopes to build the park from private fund raising, investments and sponsorships.

"As the money comes in, we go forward," Tucci said. "We have been putting this together little by little. At this point, we have the investors we need for the plan to go forward. ... We'll be raising money through the whole process."

They haven't been the only ones to notice the state's entertainment void; another group previously announced plans for a rock'n roll theme park in Eloy.

"We think it's great, we really do," Tucci said of the other park. She said the two parks should serve to draw from an even wider region. "I think the two places will complement each other greatly for the state, and I'm hoping the town of Florence will benefit from this."

Jess Knudson, assistant to the town manager, and Scott Powell, town economic development coordinator, have met with the group.

Powell said town staff have had a few initial conversations with One Dream One Team, helped them identify the potential piece of property and introduced them to the property owner's legal counsel. The group asked for a letter of support from the town, but Powell said the town couldn't provide that without more information.

"Really the ball's in their court now," Powell said. "... I'd like to know where they are so I can be of more help." Once town staff sees the master plan, they can determine the next steps, Powell said.

According to the team's written business plan, "Historically there has never been a theme park or city walk of this magnitude in Arizona. The largest attraction would be the Arizona State Fair that operates for about five weeks out of each year. Coyote Canyon and its City Walk will satisfy the want of a major attraction needed in the state of Arizona."

The plan says Coyote Canyon and its City Walk will be the largest theme park and walk, respectively, in Arizona. The park would be small however, compared to Disneyland about 465 miles away.

The team wants Coyote Canyon to have five major corridors: Old West Country; Indian High Country; River Country; Canyon Country; and Central/Main Street.

Tucci said she was born and raised in New Jersey and always had a season pass to the local Six Flags. She said that park was a great benefit to the area's kids. "We didn't think about getting in trouble." The problem here, is "there's nothing for the kids of Arizona to do."

She said she wants to build a place where the school district would be proud to hold prom night, graduation night and other functions. She also said the park would be available for corporate picnics.

Tucci said the team wants to use solar panels and windmill-generated power as much as possible, and "what the park doesn't use, give back to the community." The team anticipates other activities to benefit children's foundations and other charities. "We are all about giving back," Tucci said.

The team is also planning something not every amusement park has - a day care center to watch the little ones while the bigger, braver members of the family ride the biggest, scariest rides. In particular, they're thinking of a roller coaster that makes a 300-foot drop into a canyon.

• 3 weeks later...
The timing of this announcement, some of the wording in the article and the poor quality of their website (including a picture of someone else's rollercoaster?!) kinda made me think 'April Fools' - But I am probably just being synical!

If it goes through it could be good, but I'm with Elissa - I'd put my money on Dubai!

Coyote Canyon Theme Park, Coyote City Walk and Resort Hotel are just finishing up the planning and financing!! They are going through private investors and will not be asking the state nor people of Arizona for monies...which gives them my vote! I inquired about their website and they will have theirs up by Wednesday or Thursday of this week. They cannot not give information on their backing (PRIVATE investors) but they did share the funding will be finalized in as early as two weeks!!! Because of the Arizona weather, this HUGE project can be completed in 1 1/2 years!!

They have "big" names involved in the construction of the project!!! I see it happening really soon, rumor has ground breaking in July or August 2008.....keep your ears on and your money out of Dubai!!

• 4 months later...
Another article has hit the news. Seems the proposed park is still progressing. Money is getting put together, land has been chosen and city officials have been in discussion. The article says that parks website will go active tomorrow.

Guess we will have to see if this park actually gets built or if it falls through in the length process of approvals, city votes and money

Hello Everybody, it has been awhile so here is an update:

Coyote Canyon Theme Park, its city walk and resort hotel are coming together quicker than anticipated..AND it is for REAL! Approvals, city votes and monies are in the final stages!! You will hear more official news in the next few weeks so have your ears on! Their website is being updated as promised, they said give them another week or so. Check out the articles on all parks planned for Arizona in this month's issue of Phoenix Magazine (September 2008) page 148. Coyote Canyon Theme Park also has an article coming in the Casa Grande Living Magazine next month (October 2008 issue). "The Team" will be opening their offices in Florence, Arizona within the next two weeks. The Coyote Canyon Theme Park Team (One Dream, One Team LLC) participated in the Back-to School Backpack Give-away in Tucson, Arizona this past August 2008. The team is already involved in giving back to the community!!

Get excited Arizona!!! Coyote Canyon Theme Park is right around the corner!!!

You mean it's for real until it falls apart like every other major theme park project for Arizona. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE my homestate to get a real amusement or theme park. But starting off with two rides with 200-foot-plus drops is insane.

And Florence is pretty far out of the way. I-10 is 30 miles away, which isn't too bad, I guess.

But, as with everything related to Arizona getting a park, let's way to see if this plays out. My money's on this being another family fun park like that guy wanted to start near Eloy: Not gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. The Arizona Republic has an article on it. This stood out to me:

Add Coyote Canyon to the list of theme parks proposed for Pinal County. Yes, that would bring the theme park count to three in Pinal County and at least six total discussed for the state if any of them make it to fruition.

And that's a big if, because despite at least a dozen proposals in the past 20 years to create Arizona's own version of Disneyland, only one major theme park has ever opened, and that one flopped soon after launched in the early 1960s.

Will it happen? Again, I have my doubts.

My favorite part was where they are going to use wind and solar power, then give back to the community what they don't use.

Whoooooo, they haven't got much idea how much power they're going to need, do they? I would think that this pretty much eliminates any thoughts of having a launched coaster, unless they plan to blackout the park every time it shoots the train.

Will they close the park from May to September when it is like 120 degrees every day?? Kinda like the parks in the North which close during the winter months??

I don't care how many misting fans they have in the coaster lines - 120 degrees is 120 degrees!

I'll make sure that I put this on my bucket list of places to visit in the winter of ohhh, say...2016.

Will they close the park from May to September when it is like 120 degrees every day?? Kinda like the parks in the North which close during the winter months??

I don't care how many misting fans they have in the coaster lines - 120 degrees is 120 degrees!

I'll make sure that I put this on my bucket list of places to visit in the winter of ohhh, say...2016.

Are you still living with a "swamp cooler" on your roof? A misting system around your patio? Do you think they are planning to use "misting" systems with the technology that we have today??? Stop thinking small and negative...These are Arizonans, they know what visitors will need to make their visit a pleasant and "comfortable one" even if it should reach 120 degrees..Besides, we haven't seen a 120 day for quite sometime here in Arizona....

too bad you will "put this in your bucket of places to visit in the winter of 2016" but look forward to seeing you then....bring your bucket.

Here is something that just hit the news. Looks like 5 ladies are interested in making this happen.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/126500

Five women entrepreneurs believe that they can pull off something that's often talked about in Arizona but rarely comes to be: an amusement park. Kim Tucci and Carolyn Helm, both Florence residents, remember sketching out their ideas for a theme park years ago on a napkin while in a coffee shop. It was just a brainstorm.

READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE ... LOTS MORE TO READ... sorry for shouting.