TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Olsor's Amusement Shoebox

Can you imagine how cool it would be to ride that Pipeline prototype? I've even debated hauling my butt to Kuwait just to ride the Intamin spiral coaster! I think I just find that concept fascinating because it was always touted as the "Coaster of the Future" on the specials I watched as a kid. Plus they look so friggin' cool.

Felt the same way you do.

Short of the Pipeline Prototype video clips (which is somewhere in the pro am vid section), I've simulated the Pipeline Coaster Prototype in RCT3 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee0fjmkS4PE

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm... That outdoor pipeline porotype is the onew e all know and love, but what hte heck was the deal with that indoor version? I've never seen it before, and that thing was FLYING thorugh those elements, probably pulling insane Gs in illogical directions! Anyone got more info on it?

Next up is a CBS News segment on coasters from 1992. Lots of footage of Kings Dominion, and there's even some shots of Flashback, back when it was freshly painted and not a pile of scrap metal.

Be on the lookout for: a younger, gainfully employed Dan Rather, John Pierce explaining why Rattler sucks so badly, a 70-year-old enthusiast showing a timid correspondent the ropes, and two bachelor-of-the-year contestants who also happen to be Cyclone ride ops.

CBS News segment on roller coasters

What do you mean by Top Hat coasters?0

I guess that's not what they're called. I could've swore I've heard that somewhere before....

Anyway, what I meant was the old coaster that was at Coney Island that swiveled like it was on an axis. It was a plain circle layout. Does that help at all?

^^Ah, now I know which one you're talking about. You were probably thinking of how it resembles a spinning top... not a top hat. They show that one in pretty much every video on classic roller coasters.

My guess is that the trains were on separate tracks altogether.

^ my recollection of the original Rattler, and I rode it over and over and over in its initial season, was nothing short of perfection. The first drop has to be one of my greatest recollections in my roller coaster history, the second double down drop was a great encore to the first. The triple helix, well that a dud, but besides that the ride was incredible. And I don't recall it being rough at all. I rode it again over spring break and it was very rough and not even close to the ride I rode back in 1992.

Great Recollections in my Roller Coaster history

1. Revolution Loop

2. Rattler first drop

3. SFGAm Batman

4. Montezooma's Revenge's launch

5. 1st night ride on the Beast

and of course I have a video from my attic from the Rattler's first season.

Nice video collection but there's just one thing: I ohh so hate waiting for youtube videos to load because whenever you press the play button the darn thing stops every second or two....is it just me or does that happen to everyone regardless of how advanced their PC's are?

^You need a better internet connection. Same thing was happening to me, and it turned out my modem was shot.

Today's clip features a pre-scrap metal, freshly-painted and moved Flashback at SFMM, along with the rest of the SFMM stable of rides circa 1992. Unfortunately, there's more Wil Shriner daytime TV antics. Lots of POV, though.

Flashback (and others) on some lame daytime TV talk show

The concept of Flashback could actually be quite a good ride if they could put B&M floorless trains on the ride. Those trains that box you in and those awful restraints killed the ride, they were the worst.

Another great post Oslor!

I never got a chance to ride Flashback when it was Z-Force at SFGAm, but I remember my older siblings and their friends talking about how brutal the headbanging was with the restraints. I wonder if the original design wasn't supposed to incorporate OTSRs? You wouldn't think Intamin would build a new ride knowing it would inflict head trauma on its passengers. Vekoma, sure, but not Intamin.

More from the archives: here's Chicago news coverage of the debut of The Rattler at Fiesta Texas from 1992. I remember wanting to visit San Antonio so badly just to ride the Rattler. Didn't make it down until 2000, and by then, it had undergone major surgery. Now I live 15 miles away from it, and I have no desire to ride it. Unless I'm hankering for some spinal injuries.

Rattler's debut at Fiesta Texas

Today's entry is a Bill Kurtis piece on Physics Day at Six Flags Great America in 1991. Be on the lookout for Tidal Wave in its last season at SFGAm (and especially the Tidal Wave ride op uniforms), Hypercolor T-shirts, some physics, and best of all, Bill Kurtis riding the American Eagle.

Physics Day at Six Flags Great America 1991

God I miss the Tidal Waves. They were such well done rides: the name, the themeing, the stations, the location in the park...it all just worked. Although I did like the trains better with the red strip better than the dark blue.

Too bad there are not more rides done like that now-a days outside of the Disney, Universal or Busch parks.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from vacation, and more crap from the crapotorium. Featuring foreigners at Six Flags Great America, Kurt Loder and Tabitha Soren, and R&B producers on coasters.

Jimmy Jam on Batman at Six Flags Great Adventure (1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhLR-kdgi1g

Beyond 2000 segment on Shockwave at Six Flags Great America (1990)

Beyond 2000 segment on Physics Day at Six Flags Great America (1993)

Back in 1990, Iron Wolf was smooth. Not sure exactly when it devolved into a headbasher. Probably because I have brain damage from riding it.

Shockwave, on the other hand, was always a little rough. I first rode it in 1989, and by 1995, my friends and I had already sworn it off.

Also, MTV actually played videos back in the early '90s.