TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

One last ride for Doppel Looping.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_dade/story/472316.html

Say goodbye to the Doppel Looping.

This year's Miami-Dade County Fair, which began Thursday, will be the last for the Doppel Looping, a twisting roller coaster with two giant loops that turns thrill seekers topsy turvy.

The carnival ride -- which takes two weeks to assemble and 28 tractor-trailers to transport -- has finally been deemed too costly and too unwieldy to haul around from fair to fair.

The result: It's going to be sold and, presumably, permanently installed elsewhere, possibly in a theme park.

''I don't know what's going to take its place next year, but we'll never be able to replace its magnitude,'' said Phil Clark, CEO of the fair.

So if you want to ride the Doppel Looping, as South Floridians have for 24 years, better do so now. The fair, at Coral Way and Southwest 112th Avenue, runs through April 13.

Anyone want to go get photos & video?

--Robb

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't know what this coaster is, here is a NL POV of it.

Doppel Looping POV

It looks like a fun ride, and while it will be sad that this is its final season at the Dade County Fair, the reasons for it removal make sense. I'm sure there will be other large coasters at the fair next year, so it doen't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Somehow I don't think it will be alone this year. Laser has been rumored to be removed after almost every year and it was left out of the ride safety guide twice this year (they later said it was an oversight an added it once questioned) and when a spokesperson was asked about the ride, they basically said they didn't have an answer about it being there on a long term basis. I think this will be Laser's final year as well.

Doppel Looping POV

It looks like a fun ride, and while it will be sad that this is its final season at the Dade County Fair, the reasons for it removal make sense. I'm sure there will be other large coasters at the fair next year, so it doen't seem like that big of a deal to me.

That NL Video is actually Fire Dragon @ Lagoon as it has the Additional Trackway Curve in the Second Carousel.

Here is a Video of the Doppel Looping in Question.

Yoshi, It's Too bad Dorney doesn't run Laser as good as Lagoon Does. But still, it would be a shame if Laser was Removed.

- Sid

Doppel Looping POV

That NL Video is actually Fire Dragon @ Lagoon as it has the Additional Trackway Curve in the Second Carousel.

Yoshi, It's Too bad Dorney doesn't run Laser as good as Lagoon Does. But still, it would be a shame if Laser was Removed.

- Sid

Dang, and I thought that Laser was freaking amazing.

-Tanks "Lagoon just went up on my priority of parks list" 4me05.

But Laser is an amazing ride. Why get rid of it?

I know this is a far fetched idea, but it could go up the road a bit to Boomers, next to the Dania Beach Hurricane. They have a lot of land next to it, and across the sevrice street- behind the go-carts. That would really make it the closest thing to an amusement park in South Florida...second only to Uncle Bernies of course!

This looks like a pretty intense little ride. I'm just not sold on someone investing in it. I mean, they came right out and said that it is becoming too much of a financial burden. Maybe that is because maintenance on traveling rides is greater than if it were a permanent structure, I don't know. But, why would a park invest in something that is a potential, well, loss?

This looks like a pretty intense little ride. I'm just not sold on someone investing in it. I mean, they came right out and said that it is becoming too much of a financial burden. Maybe that is because maintenance on traveling rides is greater than if it were a permanent structure, I don't know. But, why would a park invest in something that is a potential, well, loss?

The 'financial burden' mentioned in The Miami Herald story referred to the cost of keeping the ride on the road (i.e. rising fuel costs/ support crew). Conklin and the current owners took VERY good care of this coaster. I've been riding it at all its shows for the past 24 years. It's the perfect investment for an FEC or medium-sized park.

I just hope it doesn't end up in Mexico with Dreier Looping, Thriller and Laser Loop!

-S

The main cost of the ride and the reason it will be parked is it takes 28 trailers to haul it around let alone the up keep.

Unfortunalty this ride has been for sale for over 2 years now. Even though it is not going to be used any more doesn't mean a buyer has been found or that it will automatically get bought. My guess is it will be parked in a field and that will be it for some time.

While Boomers would be nice. They still struggle to make a profit from the Hurricane.

We can only hope that it gets purchased. They are fun rides less the headache.

If I get a chance I may take a drive down there but I dont know if I will have time.

I miss the annual visits it would make to the CNE. Three weeks of having a great coaster within the city limits. I can understand the reasoning behind this, though. I was also under the impression that Conklin/North American Shows, had rough time after they merged, then un-merged...

As for the Laser rumors....

It seems like every year since I became an "enthusiast" I have heard people say that this is going to be the last year for the ride. I have heard tons and tons of rumors from those "in the know" and other people that are crazy about Dorney. I have heard things about the ride leaving and changing the entrance for a new wooden coaster - expanding the kid's section - I have even heard from a ride attendent that they are going to move the location of the coaster to the main midway of the park. All I can say is, I won't believe that the coaster is leaving until I see it get loaded up on a truck. The ride is in the process of being repainted (or has been repainted? ) Who knows what that is for. Maybe that is because there is a new ride opening up back there and they want it to look pretty, or they are trying to increase its sale value. All I know is that lines have been dismal for years now, and hopefully VooDoo will bring some life to the Laser queue this year because it is a very good ride. I will bet my left arm that the ride will stay another year, and a year after that.

What if they built a theme park in cedar city, then put this ride there? This hick, boring town needs SOMETHING new besides a bunch of clothes shops...eh, probably not gonna happen.

- Sid

Well, laser is probably getting a new paintjob and so is firedragon, but firedragon is gonna take THREE YEARS to paint. *Mutters something about lasy painters*

All I know is that lines have been dismal for years now, and hopefully VooDoo will bring some life to the Laser queue this year because it is a very good ride. I will bet my left arm that the ride will stay another year, and a year after that.

I think VooDoo will make the line for Laser longer and I hope Dorney accounts for that. The seatbelts added last year hurt the capacity especially since most of the time it was 1 attendant checking the whole train. Even a 3 train wait turned into 15 minutes easily. I also hope you are right about it staying, especially since CF is now advertising Dorney has 10 coasters and you would think they'd want to keep advertising double digit coasters.

This was actually my first rollercoaster, living here in Miami. I'm going tonight, so i'm gonna try to snap some pics before she goes into retirement.

A couple of shots from the main fair website.

All I know is that lines have been dismal for years now, and hopefully VooDoo will bring some life to the Laser queue this year because it is a very good ride. I will bet my left arm that the ride will stay another year, and a year after that.

I think VooDoo will make the line for Laser longer and I hope Dorney accounts for that. The seatbelts added last year hurt the capacity especially since most of the time it was 1 attendant checking the whole train. Even a 3 train wait turned into 15 minutes easily. I also hope you are right about it staying, especially since CF is now advertising Dorney has 10 coasters and you would think they'd want to keep advertising double digit coasters.

Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

I feel so old. I still remember going to the park and there only being the "Big 3". Then again, 3 of those "10" coasters consist of Little Laser, Dragon Coaster and Woodstock, so it is kind of debatable.

Yeah I remember that time as well where Laser was considered the big thrill ride at the park since it went upside even in the early and mid 90's after Hecrules was built

What is also strange about the whole 10 coasters is that even in the 2007 brochure they said they had 8 coasters, so it was likely either Little Laser or Dragon coaster wasn't counted but now they are counting it.