TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Line jumping at the DLR

Just got back from my sojourn to the DLR. I'll have a trip report in a few days. Until then, I have a question. Is line jumping at DLR 10 times worse than anywhere else, or is it just me?

First off, I don't have a problem with someone who had to take a child to the restroom and then moves back in line to meet up with the rest of the family unit. I get that. But there were several times it was just wrong:

1. ANY teenagers who want to ride with their friends who are behind them in line, those riders need to move BACK to meet their friends, not the other way around, if not, you're line jumping

2. If youre in the fast pass return line and decide to merge with the regular line because you don't actually HAVE a fast pass, that's line jumping

3. If I'm walking through an empty, winding queue and you're too lazy to walk through and you go under the fence ahead of me, you're line jumping

4. rides like Indy where the line is undefined by a queue in the midway but there is clearly an established lineup of people waiting to enter the queue, but you casually merge ahead of 50 people who are waiting, you're line jumping

There are other things, but is it just me? I go to mostly East coast/Midwest parks where people would fight people for pulling this stuff. Is it a "laid back" West Coast thing? Nobody seems to even bat an eye at it. The first ride of our trip was Mr. Toad and I swear we were barely in the queue yet and like 15 people jumped in front of us. No exaggeration.

We even saw a middle age white woman ask her way through the entire Jungle Cruise line saying to everyone "Excuse me...I have people I have to meet up with...". SHe made it all the way to the front and sat on a boat between an Asian and an Hispanic family, neither of which she knew from Adam. It was hilarious really....the people in line who noticed were laughing at her. I mean, it was like a 10 minute wait.

I couldn't wait to get back and see what all the park veterans on TPR thought. Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think quite a few of us have witnessed the line jumping at DLR get worse and worse. Indy as you mentioned is especially bad. Unfortunately the few times friends or ourselves have mentioned it to cast members they don't do anything so what's the point?!

It's frustrating but until Disney starts enforcing the rules better we can't do their job for them.

Another problem is that this past week has been Spring Break for most schools and colleges, Which means an extra heaping of kids and young adults at DLR without their parents.

Personally I try to notify cast members if I see one, though usually nothing comes of it. It is interesting how much of the General Public who don't line jump allow others to do it without saying anything to stop it.

My question is what can the average CM actually do about line jumping? If you report a line jumper and that person is already well on his or her way, it would be pretty hard to zero in on the jumper, seems to me (particularly on a busy day). Now if it happens right in front of a CM, that's a different story (the Jungle Cruise line jumper described above should've been easily nailed, I think).

This kind of behavior, particularly crusing ahead to "meet" somebody in line, is prevalent at BGE and KD, too. KD has put security on "line-jumping" detail at their annual Haunt, and they were pretty effective. (I've never seen so many pissed-off expressions in my life as people were pulled out of line and made to start over.)

We try pretty hard to stop line cutting, at least with my experience at DCA. A lot of the time the problem is the complaining guest's description of the person(s) who have cut. They are horrible so it becomes impossible to find the party and kick them out of line. Also, certain attractions have disadvantages to preventing this problem, such as Indy.

^No, at least I didn't. WDW Mansion is horrible with that situation because the queue is entirely made out of chains that guests have no problem trying to leap. This is doubly bad because 1) it's jumping the line and 2) I've seen, and heard of, people get seriously hurt by not judging the hight and falling on their knees and/or face. You can try and enforce it all you want, but the guest is still going to go behind you where there aren't any cast members around and do it anyway and there are only so many eyes. I still think the queue should be made of wall planters filled with rose bushes to stop that issue, but I don't think even that would help. Ashley and I saw a fleet of high school aged girls line jump the ski lift at Blizzard Beach, walking in their bathing suits and bare feet through a garden of hardwood mulch and holly bushes. If that doesn't stop it, I don't know what will.

Ohhh...this topic gets me going.

I do not stand for people that go "excuse me my blah blah blah". Maybe its b/c Im a big girl (not "big", just abnormally tall)...I've been into fights and told them that they will not go past me.

I like when SF has some muscle in the front of the line...such as Nitro...and they don't take nobody's nonsense.

Maybe Disney should incorporate a beefed up Mickey standing in que entrances or a diesel Minnie that resembles China.

I've been to Disneyland a lot, and I usually do not have a problem with line jumping. Generally it's someone who went back to go to the bathroom, so while I suppose that is still classified as "line jumping" I don't have a problem with it. Although I have had people trying to tell me that "My friends are up there!" and I'll tell them that they can have their friends come back to meet them, because they aren't passing me.

Unless of course it looks like the guy could potentially kill me.. I usually let that slide.

Chuck, you are told about line jumping and that it is not allowed, but there are not set rules for dealing with the problem. It all depends on who you are a a person and who trained you. I was trained by a very dedicated and moral person so I was taught how to handle the problem, but other may not have the same opportunity.

It sure is a bummer that the training program isn't more unified and enforced. Many of our problems could be solved.

I've seen, and heard of, people get seriously hurt by not judging the hight and falling on their knees and/or face.

Bad Karma Huh?

I have actually been punched by a kid I wouldn't let pass me.

He was younger then me so I draged him to the ride op and got him ejected from the park

I say go to the "deli" system. Receive a number as you enter the line. Hand it to the op as you enter the boarding area. If you're not in correct order....no ride for you.

When I worked at SFGAm we did that on busy days for Batman, especially on days when they used the "hidden" queue which started over in the Orleans area by where Shockwave's entrance was. There were tickets in numerical order handed out. There was then another op stationed near the "sewer entrance" who would collect the tickets and if they were more than 10 off you pulled them out of the queue and called security. Even with the tickets we nabbed at least two parties each time we were in that position.

Line jumping has absolutely gotten worse at Disneyland. I'm not sure why either, but I've noticed it.

While I would never "argue" with a line jumper because it always seems to end badly, when someone uses the "oh, I just need to meet up with my family/friends" line I will usually say a polite "Why don't you have your friends up there come back and meet you here so you are not cutting in front of everyone?"

I would say about 20% of the time that works because they've now been 'called out' as a line jumper, and it wasn't done rudely.

Usually they'll just ignore you and push through you as if somehow you are now the 'bad guy' for not letting them cut you in line.

*sigh*

--Robb

My question is what can the average CM actually do about line jumping? If you report a line jumper and that person is already well on his or her way, it would be pretty hard to zero in on the jumper, seems to me (particularly on a busy day). Now if it happens right in front of a CM, that's a different story (the Jungle Cruise line jumper described above should've been easily nailed, I think).

This kind of behavior, particularly crusing ahead to "meet" somebody in line, is prevalent at BGE and KD, too. KD has put security on "line-jumping" detail at their annual Haunt, and they were pretty effective. (I've never seen so many pissed-off expressions in my life as people were pulled out of line and made to start over.)

In my experiences operating rides if I see people cut in line or if someone tells me (and can back it up wiith other witnesses) someone cut in front of them, I will tell them they can't ride and will force them to leave the line and try again, this time waiting in line like a normal person.

I have to admit it was fun telling 12 year old punks off....

Most the time I let it go like most people because it is just not going to end well. I also know if it gets to verbal argument stage I am going to continue it, so for my own piece of mind I just don't put myself in that situation.

In my experiences the people cutting lines are mostly posses of kids, if you call them out and yell at them they'll normally straighten up and fly right, although occasionally with some smart comments under their breath while walking away...

At WDW I've never noticed line jumping being a problem. Seems to me people down there won't stand for it. If you cut in line you can expect to have a whole family of angry tourists jumping on you, throwing you to the back of the line.

He was younger then me so I draged him to the ride op and got him ejected from the park

Perfect.

I think there should be better enforcement on the parks hands, they should be watching just like they watch when people are on rides. If someones cutting, its immediate removal. Especially at Disneyland.

Is the west coast really that "laid back" and carefree?

No, its just half full of selfish cowards that take advantage of the other half who would much rather just follow the rules.

It's like that on Freeways too.

I don't do anything to line jumpers other than yell something to point them out and embarrass them, mostly because I just don't want to deal with it. But if someone else wouldn't let them pass because they didn't like it, I'd be on his side.

I think there should be better enforcement on the parks hands, they should be watching just like they watch when people are on rides. If someones cutting, its immediate removal. Especially at Disneyland.

As someone who has worked at WDW, I can tell you that no guest would ever actually get kicked out of a Disney park for line jumping (save for a guest who becomes violent...maybe LOL). The most that would happen is a "Don't do that again. Have a magical day!" Just one of the reasons I preferred working at Cedar Point...

Um, that quote wasn't by me. The quote should look like this.

Bad Karma Huh?

I wouldn't punch anybody, hurts my knuckles too much.

Line jumping isn't much better at WDW. Last trip I was in line for EE and it was the usual Saturday rush with full midway ropes up for the line out to the food truck. Well I was right at the building where you enter the first room of the real que where the FP cast member stands. And a mom, dad, and a stroller with a baby in it walks up behind me. Me being the nice guy I am I politely say, "The line starts back there by the truck mam.(While pointing to the truck)" In response the lady ignores me and says to her hubby, "I am not going to listen to some three year old!" I was 13 at the time and I was so flippin tempted to say "Do I look like a 3 year old to you?" Or just hit her, but I knew nothing good would come out of it. Plus, that hubby was quite big.

I wish they did enforce this but, oh well, you can't have everything.

Line jumping has absolutely gotten worse at Disneyland. I'm not sure why either, but I've noticed it.

WARNING: GENERALIZATIONS BELOW!

I can't believe that I'm saying this because I sound like my dad. I actually think the problems began with my generation (born in the early sixties). We were more lenient with our kids than our parents were and gave them a sense of entitlement. Can you imagine what values these kids will instill in their kids?

This has led to a generation that thinks that rules are simply suggestions. And yes.. I have found Disneyland to be the worst recently. I have pointed out line jumpers to cast members and they simply rolled their eyes.