TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Drayton Manor Discussion Thread

An Air Race will be a nice addition to Drayton but I still think a Mega Lite or something like one of the smaller GCI woodies would be amazing at Drayton. I personally don't think the Mega Lites would do well at a major park but somewhere like Drayton really would be fantastic.

I wish they would get a set of flyers too.

Its nice to see Drayton swapping between a Thomas Land expansion and a general park expansion. I think anything new will be good for Drayton. They are heading in a fantastic direction with the Hotel and investments like Ben 10 and Thomas Land. I feel the future is looking very bright for Drayton!

-Craig

So far Drayton have only released information about the new ride on their Facebook. I haven't seen any press releases nor can I find anything on their website about it so for the moment the location is still to be confirmed by the park or the estimated opening time for the ride.

AirRace.JPG.8b0f84876924bc23ab4a20264d07d6b2.JPG

Drayton Manor announce the new ride on their Faceboook. (https://www.facebook.com/DraytonManorPark)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

New stuff for Thomas Land as well...

Drayton Manor Theme Park is set to be "bigger and better than ever" in 2015 with a £2.5 million expansion.

With three brand new rides plus a "stunning" new Sodor Airport terminal, Thomas Land will increase in size by 40 percent, park officials said.

Opening over Easter, the new rides include Flynn’s Fire Rescue, Captain’s Sea Adventure and Toby’s Tram Express.

The new Thomas Land captures all the adventures of Thomas and Friends™ and the magical island of Sodor, with a central feature of the new two-storey Sodor Airport.

"In a traditional terminal style it has a top level balcony for VIP ‘travellers’ with not-to-be-missed views of Thomas Land. The area has five themed rooms that will be available for private hire for events, parties or large family groups looking to make their day out extra special!

"The ground level will feature a café for guests to relax and enjoy a selection of hot and cold drinks and snacks before they depart for their Thomas Land adventure. Jeremy Jet’s Flying Academy will also be landing in its new location outside Sodor Airport, ready to take passengers on their flight over Sodor."

The first of the new Thomas & Friends character rides is the "fast and fearless" Flynn the Fire Engine who is equipped with on-board hoses so riders can help to put any fires out!

There is also Captain’s Sea Adventure that introduces six rotating Captain lifeboat carriages, all complete with their own cannons to squirt water.

Toby the steam tram who wobbles, spins and turns also arrives with the new Toby’s Tram Express.

Merrick the sleepy gantry crane will also be joining Blue Mountain Engines Sir Handle, Skarloey, Rheneas and Peter Sam all the way from Skarloey Railway where visitors can climb aboard and enjoy the ride.

In addition to the new rides and café there will also be a fountain of the ever-popular Fat Controller and three Victorian fairground games plus a bandstand for live performances.

9507177-orig.thumb.jpg.dcd919fcc7c99e04ccfab36a8786ac51.jpg

Flynn’s Fire Rescue

9507171-orig.thumb.jpg.9941ab16154dd923b998a017f5c8ebdb.jpg

Captain’s Sea Adventure

9507176-orig.thumb.jpg.001328d48e903588a2e9d62733e14725.jpg

Sodor Airport & Jeremy Jet's Flying Academy

1801363_10152816955827669_5985487688917245731_o.thumb.jpg.9437e47e59afee52a9598aedca2c6473.jpg

a fountain of the Fat Controller

source: Tamworth Herald & Drayton Manor

Its great to see the park expanding Thomas Land! I always thought the area was a bit small considering the popularity of it so this can only be a good thing. If there is one thing I would love to see the park do though it would be to make the models from the original series a lot easier to find for guests and more of a prominent feature as it is an icon for the show!

• 1 year later...

It has been long rumoured that a new coaster is coming to Drayton. We now seem to have confirmation of that.

A post on the forum Towers Street by member Sam Mathews says

"I attended The RCCGB lunch on Sunday, I don't normally go but I'm glad I did! The event was hosted by Colin Bryan the owner of Drayton Manor. He gave some really Interesting information... He's semi-retiring and therefore his sons are taking over and making more of the decisions

There will be a coaster in 2018 replacing the buffalo its manufactured by S&S and it will be a first of its kind but I think it will be more family than thrill. A woody has been designed however that's more 5 years down the line as they're not quite happy with the plan and not quite sure if it suits. Pirate Adventure will not reopen as the manufacturer of the ride either won't or can't replace the parts I can't remember. The plan is to hopefully split the attraction into two attractions"

Sounds interesting so that means Towers, Blackpool and Drayton are getting new coasters for 2018!

It has been long rumoured that a new coaster is coming to Drayton. We now seem to have confirmation of that.

A post on the forum Towers Street by member Sam Mathews says

"I attended The RCCGB lunch on Sunday, I don't normally go but I'm glad I did! The event was hosted by Colin Bryan the owner of Drayton Manor. He gave some really Interesting information... He's semi-retiring and therefore his sons are taking over and making more of the decisions

There will be a coaster in 2018 replacing the buffalo its manufactured by S&S and it will be a first of its kind but I think it will be more family than thrill. A woody has been designed however that's more 5 years down the line as they're not quite happy with the plan and not quite sure if it suits. Pirate Adventure will not reopen as the manufacturer of the ride either won't or can't replace the parts I can't remember. The plan is to hopefully split the attraction into two attractions"

Sounds interesting so that means Towers, Blackpool and Drayton are getting new coasters for 2018!

And me going in 2017

Anyway, Maybe a S&S Mine Train, Junior El Loco, or Family Inverted Coaster?

• 7 months later...

There are reports of a incident on Splash Canyon (Intamin Rapids) at Drayton Manor, the park have tweeted the following message...

Splash Canyon has been closed following an incident this afternoon. Emergency services & our fully trained park staff are assisting.

No news as to what has exactly happened yet but looking at twitter the Air Ambulance has been spotted and security are apparently turning cars around at the entrance to the resort. There's a news article below which includes the original tweet, but not much more information as yet.

www.coventrytelegraph.net

Let's hope whatever has happened it is not too serious.

UPDATE

It's been confirmed that someone has fallen into the water, apparently an 8 year old boy, but that is unconfirmed. Statement from West Midlands Ambulance service below...

West Midlands Ambulance Service can confirm it was called to reports of a patient in the water at Drayton Manor Park, Tamworth, at 2.18pm this afternoon.

An ambulance, a senior paramedic officer, a paramedic area support officer, a rapid response paramedic, a community first responder and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Staffordshire were sent to the scene.

The first resource was on scene within seven minutes.

www.birminghammail.co.uk

ANOTHER UPDATE

Reports have confirmed that it was an 11 year old girl who had fallen into the water, and has been air-lifted to hospital.

It's also confirmed that both Alton Towers & Thorpe Park have closed their rapids rides after this incident. Thorpe have also confirmed that there's will be closed tomorrow also (Alton Towers is currently closed on Wednesdays).

This is horrible! I wonder what causes these rapids accidents? Is it simply weight distribution? Or human error/standing up? Makes me wonder, especially since we have the exact same rapids here at Knott's that I've been riding for years and years...

Thoughts are with everyone involved. It really is unfortunate that things like this happen.