• ski
    • board
    • neither
    • both!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Ha, double-diamonds are NOTHING in the East. I've been to Eastern resorts (West Virginia, Indiana, some of northeast) and Western resorts (A-Basin, Breck, Steamboat, Copper, Keystone, etc). I did a double-diamond @ Perfect North Slopes resort in the East and it took me 10 seconds. Everybody thought I was amazing, but really, the trees are 20 feet apart and the slope was about 20°.

Out West, man! Our family goes out west twice a year. We go to Breckenridge every spring and go to random resorts in the summer (Durango/Purgatory last time). I LOVE skiing the double-diamonds and E.X. trails. Not MUCH of a terrain park person, but I love leaping off of the huge jumps. Just like a B&M hyper!!!

My favorite trail is Lake Chutes at Breckenridge. You have to hike even more from North America's highest chairlift to one of the highest mountains ON the continental divide, at 13,000 ft. SPECTACULAR VIEW. Then, I go down the Lake Chutes, which have little cliffies!!! Very fun.

I also like The Burn, which is a SUPER steep glade that was caused by a natural forest-fire. Wild GCI moments in there!

Places Been:

East: Perfect North Slopes, Paoli Peaks, Winterplace

West: Arapahoe Basin, Breckenridge, Keystone, Purgatory, Copper Mountain, Steamboat, Vail

And as other people can see, lots of coaster fans are skiers/boarders because it is just like a big roller coaster that YOU control!

*As you can see, I'm a BIG skier, and I live in KENTUCKY! Hello!

**Shute, with all of these skiers here, I might as well bring my own camera to Breck and make a trip report!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there is already a winter sports thread. Good thing I checked before I started one.

Anyway, I ski, but not frequently enough to get a season pass to anywhere, especially since I like to visit several different areas once or twice instead of the same area many times. I usually ski about 10 days a year, consisting of day trips to local Southern California ski areas and one or two longer ski trips. However, I haven't visited anywhere outside of California or Nevada yet. As far as ability level goes, I can ski most single black diamonds and some double black diamonds, but haven't ever attempted anything more challenging than Cornice Bowl at Mammoth Mountain. I generally like to ski upper-level blue/lower level single black runs best.

So far, I have skied at:

So Cal:

Bear Mountain Resort

Mountain High Resort

Mt. Baldy

Mt. Waterman Ski Area

Snow Summit Mountain Resort

Snow Valley Ski Resort

Central California:

Bear Valley Mountain Resort

June Mountain

Mammoth Mountain

Sierra Summit Mountain Resort

Lake Tahoe:

Alpine Meadows Ski Resort

Heavenly Ski Resort

Kirkwood

Northstar-At-Tahoe

Squaw Valley USA

This year, I will be visiting three or four new resorts when I go to Lake Tahoe in March (Homewood Mountain Resort, Sierra-At-Tahoe, Sugar Bowl Resort, and maybe Diamond Peak or Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe).

Ouch. Yeah, I kind-of avoid the spins haha. They can be too catastrophic. Instead, I either jump off the big "ramped" jumps (I have no idea what they are called) or fly over the big parabolic hills at perfect zero-G, where I am just barely lifted into the air!

B&M hyper, right there! [/i]

Wow, given the younger generation that frequents these forums, I figured that snowboarding would be the clear cut winner. But I was wrong. Perhaps it is a SoCal thing.

Me? I snowboard. But the first time I hit the slopes it was on skis. 8 years later, I went back to the slopes, but this time I was going to give snowboarding a shot. When comparing my first time skiing with my first time snowboarding, it was safe to say that snowboarding was a lot easier for me.

Since then, I went out an got my own equipment and went several times a year. Though, '07 was my last time snowboarding. Mainly due to crappy local conditions. Tired of scratching my board on a 12" base.

This year is supposed to be a good one for snowfall. So hopefully I'll be back. It's been far too long.

I tried both, and I can say that skiing is more like riding a roller coaster or driving a race car and snowboarding is more like surfing down a big mountain. Both entertaining, but skiing wins me.

Especially when [CAUTION: Nerd Alert!] you can try to re-create you favorite coaster company like a GCI millennium flyer ride or Mack bobsled! I also feel like I'm on Boulder Dash when I scream down The Burn (a glade) at Breckenridge. Trees and swooping turns at an ultra-steep angle (it is really steep, and quite scary) doesn't get more exciting! Airtime moments kick butt too!

And you can't do that on a snowboard! (except for the air part)