TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Cavs Fan,

The park has been suffering in attendance and has issues dealing with the city forcing a stadium on the property that will adversely affect the business. It's short on attractions as is and to have one of the FEW major attractions you have be removed.......That's the first nail in the coffin. What happened to Geauga Lake is happening here. Attractions being removed with the promise of capital expansion and then nothing comes............

This park hasn't had any major investments since Boomerang Bay which was added in 2004 (No, I don't count Survivor or Firefall as major expansions). Even with that expansion, Stealth was removed to make this happen.

Then there's the nagging issue of the neighboring offices that complain about noise. (Thus why the GCI woodie project was canceled in 2007/2008)

The offices are all for the stadium because most games/concerts are at night and those that aren't at night are on the weekends when all the surrounding office buildings are closed. CGA is open every day at 10 am during the summer season disturbing said offices.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see this park close as I have fond childhood memories growing up in the bay area visiting this park.

Would I love to see this park thrive? Absolutely!

Is it likely? Nope! Not with Santa Clara and Cedar Fair butting heads

I'm not a pessimist......I'm a realist.

Cavs Fan,

The park has been suffering in attendance and has issues dealing with the city forcing a stadium on the property that will adversely affect the business. It's short on attractions as is and to have one of the FEW major attractions you have be removed.......That's the first nail in the coffin. What happened to Geauga Lake is happening here. Attractions being removed with the promise of capital expansion and then nothing comes............

This park hasn't had any major investments since Boomerang Bay which was added in 2004 (No, I don't count Survivor or Firefall as major expansions). Even with that expansion, Stealth was removed to make this happen.

Then there's the nagging issue of the neighboring offices that complain about noise. (Thus why the GCI woodie project was canceled in 2007/2008)

The offices are all for the stadium because most games/concerts are at night and those that aren't at night are on the weekends when all the surrounding office buildings are closed. CGA is open every day at 10 am during the summer season disturbing said offices.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see this park close as I have fond childhood memories growing up in the bay area visiting this park.

Its not the same thing and you're just being negative.

Cavs Fan,

Not a single thing he said was negative. It was all factual...

Not to say that its going to happen, but this is how Geauga Lake started with ride removal. Just cause people don't like that they have similarities and don't want the park to go away doesn't make him negative.

Cavs Fan,

Just because someone's stating facts about CGA's fate you think it's negative? It's not negative, it's true. And how is it "not the same thing"?

For the sake of argument, how many of the former Paramount parks have received major(or minor) attractions in the years since the buyout? Not all of them have gotten something brand spanking new every year. Sure some of the fared better than others, but in the state of our economy I guess maybe they are trying to spend a little here and a little there. They keep saying future plans are in the works, and I for one am all about them waiting to see what is going to come out of the whole 49ers issue. I can understand them not wanting to spend a load of dough if they aren't sure what is going to happen. Maybe they will come out ahead in the end and be able to spend some of their cash for those upgrades everyone wants. Remember, we are not the bread and butter of the parks, we are but a small group of people who enjoy them. They earn their money from the GP with families who can only afford to spend what their paychecks allow, thus dictating what kind of ride improvement goes on. This also creates the issue with how much money they can spend on ride construction versus show upgrades. You can't put out 20 mil and not get it back in the first few months and expect to run a profitable park. Unloading problematic rides is not a bad thing either. When parks can't build because of space issues, what other option do they have. In the future CP is going to have to do the same thing because of the peninsula issue. People can sit here and moan and complain all they want, but do you really think CF cares a whole lot about what we have to say......maybe a little.

Sorry for the rant, but pessimistic people piss me off.

For the sake of argument, how many of the former Paramount parks have received major(or minor) attractions in the years since the buyout? Not all of them have gotten something brand spanking new every year. Sure some of the fared better than others, but in the state of our economy I guess maybe they are trying to spend a little here and a little there. They keep saying future plans are in the works, and I for one am all about them waiting to see what is going to come out of the whole 49ers issue. I can understand them not wanting to spend a load of dough if they aren't sure what is going to happen. Maybe they will come out ahead in the end and be able to spend some of their cash for those upgrades everyone wants. Remember, we are not the bread and butter of the parks, we are but a small group of people who enjoy them. They earn their money from the GP with families who can only afford to spend what their paychecks allow, thus dictating what kind of ride improvement goes on. This also creates the issue with how much money they can spend on ride construction versus show upgrades. You can't put out 20 mil and not get it back in the first few months and expect to run a profitable park. Unloading problematic rides is not a bad thing either. When parks can't build because of space issues, what other option do they have. In the future CP is going to have to do the same thing because of the peninsula issue. People can sit here and moan and complain all they want, but do you really think CF cares a whole lot about what we have to say......maybe a little.

Sorry for the rant, but pessimistic people piss me off.

Out of 5 former Paramount Parks, 3 got brand new B&M hypers, 1 got a huge new Intamin, CGA got nothing. 2 are getting Windseekers, 2 got relocated GL coasters, and I'm pretty sure all got expanded Nick Centrals/Planet Snoopys...except CGA. I am hoping for the best.

In the years since CGA was bought (coming up on 5), they've gotten:

-Wave pool

-Firefall

-Halloween Haunt

-Shows galore

-Neighbor and 49er issues (unfortunately)

I truly hope that CGA stays and adds something in that spot.

" I say that it better be a new coaster… something wickedly cool in steel…If they try to put in another Windseeker there, you have my permission to riot." Quote From Screamscape.

We will all riot!!! There is already a Windseeker new for SFDK this year & SFDK is not too far away. & Why would they build one when they can't go any higher than Drop Zone? CF knows Drop Zone is more thrilling anyway. Plus SFDK already has a spinning coaster & CGA doesn't need any more flat rides especially since they gave us Firewall in 2008. So the only thing left that I can think of is a Maverick clone-which fits perfectly. Plus quote"this will open up an entirely new opportunity for Great America." Or a Flight Of Fear can be possible.

Whoa, ho, ho!!!

Look what I started. I am truly sorry.

I don't see the park taking the GL route to demise. I think that either it will be taken apart over a long period of time, or it will be built back up over long period of time.

Oh,and for the record, I liked CGA much better than SFDK when I went.

^Yeah, all the wooden coasters they build around your office buildings. What a pain.

For the record, why would Cedar Fair put in FireFall if they were just closing it down? Surely they have some plan going on. History dosen't just repeat itself you know. I'm saving you the pain of having to read through another long argument. Everything that needs to be said has been said. Now let's just wait and see.

Who's complaining?

Who isn't?

Pansy a$$ Californians.

Agreed, as much as I'm a Californian, lived here my whole life.

We were supposed to see a nice facelift to a small local water park several years ago. The facelift included 4 new slides, lazy river, mat racers, wave pool, and what looked like a couple toilet bowls. But ofcourse, the people of Pleasanton (Rich people to be exact) didn't want everyone invading 'their' city and degrading it.

The same (or nearly the same) amount of people turned down an Ikea store that was to be built 10 minutes from me as they didn't want to pull in huge crowds...not to mention there's already a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit system) station right there to already bring in people. People will cry about anything just to get their way, sadly. But when it comes to something that really shouldn't be in a specific location, it happens (like a drug rehab in a neighborhood full of kids). Yea, I don't get our society.

^Yeah, all the wooden coasters they build around your office buildings. What a pain.

Nice attempt at a come back but I never referenced wooden roller coasters in NYC. There are other things that make noise.

New York City streets on a typical day with constant horns, sirens, garbage trucks, street musicians, beeping from trucks backing up, and shouting matches, etc... are much louder than anything noise made from a roller coaster hundreds of feet away.

Nice attempt at a come back but I never referenced wooden roller coasters in NYC. There are other things that make noise.

New York City streets on a typical day with constant horns, sirens, garbage trucks, street musicians, beeping from trucks backing up, and shouting matches, etc... are much louder than anything noise made from a roller coaster hundreds of feet away.

I wasn't being serious. Hence the emoticon.

I totally agree. Californians will bitch about pretty much anything that dosen't even come close to standing in their way. look no furth than the previous few posts for examples of that. We're all in agreement here.

Pansy a$$ Californians.

...We were supposed to see a nice facelift to a small local water park several years ago. The facelift included 4 new slides, lazy river, mat racers, wave pool, and what looked like a couple toilet bowls. But ofcourse, the people of Pleasanton (Rich people to be exact) didn't want everyone invading 'their' city and degrading it....

This wasn't for Raging Waters SJ, was it? I never knew they were going to add all this. GRRR!!!!

~Nicholas

Actually, it was some random hole in the wall water park known as Shadow Cliffs Rapids Waterslides. It was going to be renamed as "California Splash." This is located in Pleasanton, CA - the snooty armpit of the bay area.

Ah yes Shadow Cliffs, been there a few times and yes, Pleasanton is a snooty armpit.